The Gaming Chat Café

Hit by Lightning

oof...

You say oof, I say they should have done it literally years ago.

Ubi can't make a GaaS game. It's not what they're good at. They've done well with the Rainbow Six team based PvP games historically and that can continue, but beyond that they suck.

Their strength is and always will be single player experiences - Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Watch Dogs, etc etc.

Agent Edward

Those recent Resident Evil 9 rumors are wild, looks like the game will be released next year too, so we'll have GTA6, Mafia 4 and Resident Evil 9, all close to each other, it was about time this generation showed what it came for.

Failed Again
Posted (edited)

Game runs "good"...not getting good reviews..  may contain spoilers..

skip to 1:02 to skip ad. Sorry should have done that before link

Edited by Failed Again

Not getting good reviews? What? It's 83/100 on OpenCritic, which is a very good score.

Failed Again
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jason said:

Not getting good reviews? What? It's 83/100 on OpenCritic, which is a very good score.

58 at PC Gamer

Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 review | PC Gamer

well that looks hopeful^ open critic

Edited by Failed Again

Can never take just one review outlet as gospel innit, a single review might not like any given game for any of a million reasons. I find it's better to look at sites like OpenCritic, not just bluntly at the score but page listing the scores and a brief synopsis of the reviews cause you can usually see common themes, be it things the game does well or not so well.

Failed Again
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jason said:

Can never take just one review outlet as gospel innit, a single review might not like any given game for any of a million reasons. I find it's better to look at sites like OpenCritic, not just bluntly at the score but page listing the scores and a brief synopsis of the reviews cause you can usually see common themes, be it things the game does well or not so well.

Yes - open critic, has a wider range of responses.

I was very disappointed seeing the PC gamer review.

tx for pointing out O C

# This PCGamer review, was the 1st thing I viewed with my morning coffee..I was disheartened.

Tx for added info

Edited by Failed Again

Margot Robbed Me

Dayum. Colossal Order got cooked on this game. 😂

i564nim.jpeg

LongHairedFreakyGuy
14 hours ago, Jason said:

Back in the day, maybe, but nowadays there's such a plethora of sources that review games, that yes, taking just a couple of scores is never the best thing to do. Not sure if it's because I spend too much time doomscrolling X/Twitter, but these days it just seems to have become so toxic when coming to game reviews. Does also make me laugh that 8/10 sounds like a decent score, but then people cry when a game gets 80/100. These days I tend to just open various Youtube videos and try and gather as much information from there, but ultimately the best reviewer of a game is yourself.

Saying that, I tried the game out last night, and as great as the game looked, that opening hour was...well...Won't say much as to not spoil it for others.

Everything on social media is toxic because toxicity is what modern media lives on. Positive stories are very common, but rarely reported on. When something really positive happens it's usually picked up on and marketed as "at last, finally something good!" when in reality there's plenty of good stuff.

And yea, 8/10 is a GOOD score. If a game has an average rating from dozens of reviews from 8/10 then that's gonna be a good, fun enjoyable game, assuming it is your sort of game of course lol.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I tried a little bit last night. They went ham with the post-processing, didn't they, lol. I cannot stand chromatic abberation. Just looks bad in any game. I don't even think there's a toggle option for it, either. But being in the center of your screen in this and not around the edges makes it look like a complete mess.

Edited by lndex
  • Like 1

Moonshine Wagon Fan

I loved playing Road Rash on PC.  It would be great if there was a remaster made sometime.

Failed Again
On 5/22/2024 at 2:25 AM, lndex said:

I tried a little bit last night. They went ham with the post-processing, didn't they, lol. I cannot stand chromatic abberation. Just looks bad in any game. I don't even think there's a toggle option for it, either. But being in the center of your screen in this and not around the edges makes it look like a complete mess.

Digital foundry. John L, did a really nice review of the HB2 tech.

He discusses the techniques you mention, chromatic aberration and such..

RARusk
13 hours ago, Moonshine Wagon Fan said:

I loved playing Road Rash on PC.  It would be great if there was a remaster made sometime.

Being that this is an EA game that's not going to happen unless they can monetize it into oblivion. The closest that someone has come to remaking it is something called Road Redemption.

"One day I will think of this as just another job. After all, this is what I do."

10 hours ago, Failed Again said:

He discusses the techniques you mention, chromatic aberration and such..

I understand that when it's used, it tries to soften the image, but ultimately, it's just ruining the quality all together. I'd much rather have some subtle depth of field going on in that background.

• Like 1

Failed Again
3 hours ago, lndex said:

I understand that when it's used, it tries to soften the image, but ultimately, it's just ruining the quality all together. I'd much rather have some subtle depth of field going on in that background.

All in all, it's a very impressive accomplishment.✌️

• 2 weeks later...

Visually looks really nice. Bit annoying the timing of this one, I might wait to buy it (assuming reviews aren't terrible) cause I'm most likely gonna pick up a 5080 at launch and be able to play games like this with all the bells and whistles, and those cards are rumoured to drop at the end of the year.

Just don't really wanna play any more big new AAA games on my 3070 at this point lol.

I was waiting for this to be showcased by Nvidia. It looks a hell of a lot better than the debut trailer, and that last shot in space looks juicyyy.

I'm wanting to upgrade later on in the year, but I haven't quite made up my mind yet as my 9700K is still doing the job when it comes to newly released games. I still might, though, just for the jump to DDR5.

Yea I think I did mention it back then that it doesn't look like it has some or any RT on in the previous footage, but the nVidia footage looks like PC w/ all the features on.

I'm pretty set on a new GPU as soon as the 5080's launch, assuming they're not like £1.5k anyway lol. I don't need a new CPU yet, like sure I could upgrade it and get an FPS boost but the only game where my 5800x was actually problematic was Dragon's Dogma 2 and that's cause that game is a mess under the hood.

Unless I see my self in dire need of a new CPU by the end of the year I may go for a new monitor with my GPU as well tbh. My monitor right now is fine, but 100hz is iffy for frame gen and it doesn't have proper Gsync support which is meh. I've been wanting to upgrade to a HDR monitor for a while and those 34" OLED's, while absolutely expensive, aren't as absurd as they were a few years ago, there's an MSI one that's in the realm of potentially affordable for me depending on the price of a 5080 at launch. I've been long thinking of upgrading to a 38" 24:10 but the options for those are very limited and there's zero OLED options out there for that and seemingly none coming out anytime soon as well, so a 34" 1440p monitor seems like the best option still for UW, cause I don't really have an interest in super ultrawide (plus they're ludicrously expensive). I can just use DLSDR if I'm overkilling it with a 5080 at 1440p too.

Yeah, UW OLEDs seem to cost an arm and a leg. I've spied a few Alienware ones on eBay for around 600 quid, if you're willing to go second hand, of course, but I'm quite settled with my current setup at the moment, having moved from IPS to VA for truer blacks. It's been spot on. I just don't have the desk space for super UW either, not without drastically changing my setup around, lol.

The AW ones have dipped below 1k new on Amazon, and there's an MSI one which I believe has the same LG panel that's £700. Expensive as f*ck but I have been saving the pennies for a system overhaul and I am tempted to stretch out my 5800x's lifespan in favour of a new monitor.

I have thought about a 32" or even a 42" 16:9 but yea I dunno, I like 21:9 too much and playing at a desk I think 34" is still a good size, I did want something slightly bigger hence the 38" 24:10 but yea the options for those are mainly professional focused as far as I can tell, and no OLED options anytime soon. Did see there's maybe some 39" 21:9 1440p OLED's coming but I worry about the PPI at that screen size. I'd also be super wary of buying one second hand incase of OLED burn in and things like that tbh.

Interesting little thing going on the industry right now, after yet another publisher show was leaked:

https://insider-gaming.com/how-youtube-leaks-work/

It's been loooooooong suspected but people are now openly talking about it or reporting on it, but YouTube has indeed been the source of what is likely a ton of video game leaks over the past few years, with employees gaining access to unreleased videos and sharing the information. It's very possible this is how the VI trailer leaked too.

It also extends to outside gaming, KSI was making videos where he put Amazon gift codes in the video every time he laughed but all the codes were being redeemed before the videos would go live lol.

Henderson also confirms in that article that these leaks are indeed being sold for money, which I've long suspected my self.

Be interesting to see what comes of this, whether YT have to redesign the way unreleased videos are stored, or if game studios start using other methods to avoid these types of leaks. Streaming directly to YT and then uploading/converting after could be something we start to see soon.

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

It also extends to outside gaming, KSI was making videos where he put Amazon gift codes in the video every time he laughed but all the codes were being redeemed before the videos would go live lol.

Holy sh*t, that's scummy as f*ck lmao.

LongHairedFreakyGuy
On 6/3/2024 at 8:46 PM, Jason said:

Interesting little thing going on the industry right now, after yet another publisher show was leaked:

https://insider-gaming.com/how-youtube-leaks-work/

It's been loooooooong suspected but people are now openly talking about it or reporting on it, but YouTube has indeed been the source of what is likely a ton of video game leaks over the past few years, with employees gaining access to unreleased videos and sharing the information. It's very possible this is how the VI trailer leaked too.

Henderson also confirms in that article that these leaks are indeed being sold for money, which I've long suspected my self.

Be interesting to see what comes of this, whether YT have to redesign the way unreleased videos are stored, or if game studios start using other methods to avoid these types of leaks. Streaming directly to YT and then uploading/converting after could be something we start to see soon.

Was thinking about this the other day when this news dropped about the Nintendo leaks, and it brought me back to how the GTA 6 trailer was leaked beforehand. It's happening more and more, such as the article states about the recent State Of Play that got leaked. I've never uploaded to YT, but I'm assuming that it's impossible to instantly upload a video, and instead it has to go through some verification process, no matter the source of the video? 'Live' streaming is a good way to combat this, but come on, are companies really going to go through the process of 'live streaming' every game trailer, just to prevent leaks? Just hosting the videos on your own dedicated page could be an option, but then, could you imagine the millions who would have been trying to access the Rockstar website all at the same time?

Unfortunately, gaming leaks will always happen. Gaming is a lucrative business and people are chasing the money.

1 minute ago, LongHairedFreakyGuy said:

I've never uploaded to YT, but I'm assuming that it's impossible to instantly upload a video, and instead it has to go through some verification process, no matter the source of the video?

Yea there's a processing period, which for 4k video can be a while. So you can't just upload it with a really fast connection a few minutes before a trailer premier and have it go live.

You can stream it and then turn that stream into a video, but you're gonna hurt the qualify of the video doing that. I believe it's possible, with special permissions at the least, for YouTube to allow editing or changing of videos after an upload, so you could I think stream it > convert the stream into a video > later upload the video in 4k and swap them out.

It's hurdles that from a publisher PoV shouldn't exist though, so I dunno if they'll wanna jump through all that.

• Like 1

PSA: only works for accounts that have never subbed to GP

In other news, sounds like Dragon Age: Dreadwolf is being revealed proper at the Xbox showcase... and it won't be titled "Dragon Age: Dreadwolf" anymore, which I think is a great idea tbh. Dragon Age 4 is a better title than Dreadwolf.

Not setting high expectations for it, cause who knows what the state of BioWare is right now, it's a straight up roll of the dice, but fingers and toes crossed. Even a good (and not necessarily great) BioWare game would be very welcome.

Edit:

Also sounds like Borderlands 4 is the 2K reveal this summer, not the next Mafia. Another game to be hopeful about, be interesting to see what they learned and kept after Tiny Tina's and 3.

Cluckin Bell CEO

This might be coming soon looks cool

fo6acwcm2w4d1.jpeg?width=640&crop=smart&

LongHairedFreakyGuy
3 hours ago, Cluckin Bell CEO said:

This might be coming soon looks cool

fo6acwcm2w4d1.jpeg?width=640&crop=smart&

Yeah, there was a patent that Sony issued not so long back that has led to all these rumours circulating. I feel like the Portal was Sony's 'Wii U' project, and was a bridge towards an actual proper handheld device that not only will have its own library, but will allow seamless gaming between the PS5/4 via the Cloud. The issue is though, with the rise of all these handheld gaming PC's and the like, how successful would this be? What would be the selling point over the Portal, if just for the sake of been more portable?