4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

The Gaming Chat Café

Hit by Lightning

On 3/29/2021 at 4:59 AM, Lemoyne outlaw said:

has anyone heard of the back 4 blood game coming later this year? its made by the left 4 dead developers. since there are no other games that i planned on getting. this is the only game in interested in. what does everyone think about it? i saw mixed opinions so far.

From the little I saw of it I got basically got the very strong impression that they took L4D, shamelessly copied the formula down to the letter (or reused it, depending on your PoV) and sprinkled in some wacky bosses like giant trolls. So overall, I thought it looked pretty bad.

L4D1 and 2 still hold up fairly well especially with custom campaigns for fresh levels, so I'd rather play them. Or World War Z, which is more chaotic and has some grindy progression but is good fun as well, and it's on Games Pass PC and console.

Apparently Back 4 Blood is the same dev team, they just don't own the Left For Dead name/IP. So, it's not really copying a formula, just using their own style creation under a different name. 

I was never really into zombies and didn't play a broad spectrum of games back in the Left For Dead days but things have changed and I think it looks pretty solid. I love a good co-op game so I'm going to give it a go. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

Apparently Back 4 Blood is the same dev team, they just don't own the Left For Dead name/IP. So, it's not really copying a formula, just using their own style creation under a different name. 

The same dev team who have flopped every single time they didn't work with Valve, remember Evolve? That's these guys lol.

The talent is at Valve and my issue with Turtle Rock copying the formula isn't cause I see it as any form of stealing but more so that we've got several games with that exact formula, and they're great, so evolve it, do something new, and this looks identical except rougher around the edges in every single way with some wacky, out of place bosses.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

The same dev team who have flopped every single time they didn't work with Valve, remember Evolve? That's these guys lol.

The talent is at Valve and my issue with Turtle Rock copying the formula isn't cause I see it as any form of stealing but more so that we've got several games with that exact formula, and they're great, so evolve it, do something new, and this looks identical except rougher around the edges in every single way with some wacky, out of place bosses.

Fair enough, was just pointing it out. If the talent truly wasn't them and 2K couldn't help them for Evolve well this is now under WB, maybe that WB cash laying around will give them something better to work with.  I don't know.  For those of us that didn't play L4D, it's something new-ish.  L4D is like nearly 13 years ago. There's a whole new generation that are 20 years old now that would have been 7 years old when the original was released.

Edited by Mister Pink

Like I said, if you want a more modern L4D experience I whole heartedly recommend World War Z - it's on Games Pass too. It's nothing amazing, but it's a great "I wanna shoot stuff" game that tinkers a little with the L4D formula while remaining largely faithful to it.

It's why I'm disappointed by this, because World War Z exists so there's really no need for a L4D clone, they shoulda/coulda done way more with it. I think this is probably why Valve has never released a L4D3, because the L4D1/2 formula is pretty much spent so they'd have to figure out something new and interesting.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jason said:

Like I said, if you want a more modern L4D experience I whole heartedly recommend World War Z - it's on Games Pass too. It's nothing amazing, but it's a great "I wanna shoot stuff" game that tinkers a little with the L4D formula while remaining largely faithful to it.

It's why I'm disappointed by this, because World War Z exists so there's really no need for a L4D clone, they shoulda/coulda done way more with it. I think this is probably why Valve has never released a L4D3, because the L4D1/2 formula is pretty much spent so they'd have to figure out something new and interesting.

Makes sense. If there was a evolution of that type of shooter I can understand how Back 4 Blood  might seem like a step sideways. I haven't played World War Z or L4D so it's all new.  

Edited by Mister Pink

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday I bit the bullet and bought the Xbox Games Studios Action Bundle (or whatever its called) in the XGS Steam Sale. The bundle includes Quantum Break, Recore and Sunset Overdrive - and I only really bought it for Quantum Break. The only reason I didn't by QB by itself because I cannot pass up on a good deal, even if I may not play the other games that come with it.

Recore doesn't look particularly interesting and, because I'm a pretty charitable guy, I may end up gifting it to someone in the future. However, Sunset Overdrive looks good and I've heard good things about it in the past, which makes me think I should play it. Sunset Overdrive was developed by Insomniac, so if I enjoyed Marvel's Spider-Man, I should enjoy Sunset Overdrive, right? 

10 minutes ago, Riqitch8 said:

So yesterday I bit the bullet and bought the Xbox Games Studios Action Bundle (or whatever its called) in the XGS Steam Sale. The bundle includes Quantum Break, Recore and Sunset Overdrive - and I only really bought it for Quantum Break. The only reason I didn't by QB by itself because I cannot pass up on a good deal, even if I may not play the other games that come with it.

Recore doesn't look particularly interesting and, because I'm a pretty charitable guy, I may end up gifting it to someone in the future. However, Sunset Overdrive looks good and I've heard good things about it in the past, which makes me think I should play it. Sunset Overdrive was developed by Insomniac, so if I enjoyed Marvel's Spider-Man, I should enjoy Sunset Overdrive, right? 

I played a bit of Sunset Overdrive and had fun, the main reason I stopped was because it has zero ultrawide support on PC and I play on a ultrawide monitor and aint playing with black bars, but it plays well on mouse and keyboard and still holds up well I think - you might have to fiddle with the binds to get something comfortable for you tho, I remember the default binds being a bit fidgety.

It's got a bit of Spider-Man in there, lots of traversal, room for improvisation in combat and just in general a nice fluid combat system.

20 hours ago, Jason said:

I played a bit of Sunset Overdrive and had fun, the main reason I stopped was because it has zero ultrawide support on PC and I play on a ultrawide monitor and aint playing with black bars, but it plays well on mouse and keyboard and still holds up well I think - you might have to fiddle with the binds to get something comfortable for you tho, I remember the default binds being a bit fidgety.

It's got a bit of Spider-Man in there, lots of traversal, room for improvisation in combat and just in general a nice fluid combat system.

Ah, good to get some good word of mouth on here (alongside the good words I previously got when the game came out)! I figured the traversal and combat mechanics would be good, as they were also very good in Marvel's Spider-Man. Good to know that they were transferrable. I'll add Sunset Overdrive to the backlog!

I'm aware of your ultrawide setup, as I have glared at your screenshots with envy over in the Screenshots topic. Oh man, it must be brilliant playing Forza Horizon 4 (and just games in general) in ultrawide (21:9?). I must ask, how is the sense of speed in ultrawide? Do you feel like there's a substantial difference in comparison to 16:9?

2 minutes ago, Riqitch8 said:

I'm aware of your ultrawide setup, as I have glared at your screenshots with envy over in the Screenshots topic. Oh man, it must be brilliant playing Forza Horizon 4 (and just games in general) in ultrawide (21:9?). I must ask, how is the sense of speed in ultrawide? Do you feel like there's a substantial difference in comparison to 16:9?

Don't really know actually, it's been a long time since I've played Forza is in 16:9 lol. Generally I'd probably say it's better, as racing games are one of the games that benefits A LOT from ultrawide aspect ratios for a variety of reasons. Extra immersion, naturally wider FoV (huge in third person, gigantic in first person driving!), more cinematic feel, etc. It's definitely one of the best games around to play on ultrawide monitors for sure.

For anyone not chasing higher and higher refresh rates for competitive games (CSGO and the like) I always always recommend 21:9 as the best monitor upgrade you can get. 4K is real performance heavy still only really has an image quality benefit over ultrawide - not that 3440x1440 is lacking in that area anyway.

23 hours ago, Jason said:

Don't really know actually, it's been a long time since I've played Forza is in 16:9 lol. Generally I'd probably say it's better, as racing games are one of the games that benefits A LOT from ultrawide aspect ratios for a variety of reasons. Extra immersion, naturally wider FoV (huge in third person, gigantic in first person driving!), more cinematic feel, etc. It's definitely one of the best games around to play on ultrawide monitors for sure.

For anyone not chasing higher and higher refresh rates for competitive games (CSGO and the like) I always always recommend 21:9 as the best monitor upgrade you can get. 4K is real performance heavy still only really has an image quality benefit over ultrawide - not that 3440x1440 is lacking in that area anyway.

I'd imagine it is, since FOV does a lot when it comes to sense of speed. The games with the best sense of speed just happen to be the ones with nitro in them (Burnout 3 comes to mind), where the FOV really opens up under nitro - which is a brilliant feeling. It must be great with all of that extra real estate on both sides, especially in games like Forza when it comes to (ranked) team adventure. You can't imagine how many bastards there are that like to pull dirty tricks on you when they're in your blind areas. Is your monitor curved by any chance? I haven't been lucky enough to get my hands on a curved monitor (one day!), but that would be awesome.

I game on a 15" 1080p screen (it's a laptop) and I sit fairly close to the screen (within reason, of course), but I actually play FH4 at max FOV (in chase cam, anyway). I feel it really helps, even if I'm not getting all of the benefits from the aspect ratio, size, distance etc. I just like to see who's around me when I'm racing, whether that's the AI or other players.

If you have a friend/partner to play it with, I HIGHLY recommend It Takes Two.

For me it's easily the best co-op game since Portal 2. One of those rare AAA games where you can feel the love that's went into it, and the variety in the levels and gameplay is off the charts. No two levels are the same, always introducing new mechanics and quirks, in brand new bespoke environments. It's absolutely brilliant and only one person needs to purchase it for two players to play through it.

Not even played this yet. But it reminds me from something i played as a yougin.

pls be good, pls be good...

Edited by DEADWOODZ

• 2 months later...

30 YEARS OLD

Sonic the Hedgehog: 'I'd never seen anything like it in a video game'

_119017346_sonicoldemblem1.jpg

It's been 30 years since one of gaming's most-loved characters, Sonic the Hedgehog, first raced across our TV screens

_119017348_sonicoldgameplay.jpg

In the early 1990s it was Nintendo and its moustached mascot Mario who dominated when it came to gaming.

However, Sega with their new Mega Drive console, were determined to take on the Japanese giant.

• Realistic Steak! 1

On 6/25/2021 at 10:18 PM, Cahill--EFC said:

30 YEARS OLD

Sonic the Hedgehog: 'I'd never seen anything like it in a video game'

_119017346_sonicoldemblem1.jpg

It's been 30 years since one of gaming's most-loved characters, Sonic the Hedgehog, first raced across our TV screens

_119017348_sonicoldgameplay.jpg

In the early 1990s it was Nintendo and its moustached mascot Mario who dominated when it came to gaming.

However, Sega with their new Mega Drive console, were determined to take on the Japanese giant.

Happy Birthday, Sonic. This game will always be close to my heart. It's the first game I ever completed. I remember they had a Mega Drive/Genesis on display in a store near me. It was a across a main road I wasn't allowed cross. However, I would sneak over and there would be a queue of 5 or 6 kids wanting to play it. We would just take turns. Good times. Later that year for Christmas, my older brother would get a Mega Drive and we would play it. 

GTA3Rockstar

Nintedo Switch update

7" OLED, 64GB and a lan port for the more important parts. Nothing worthwhile tbh

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed I got another copy of Metra Exodus in my steam library, the original and now  Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition  That  happened with skyrim too when it was  upgraded