2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

DaBOSS54320

Questions about ASI plugins

DaBOSS54320

So as I understand it, .asi files are basically .dll files renamed and are loaded into the game's memory through an asi loader, such as xliveless. I've also seen there are SDKs around here to help me call the game's native script functions if needed. But... being the type of person I am... I wanna know more about what ASI files exactly are and how I can take full advantage of them myself. If anyone could answer any of my questions and/or point me in the right direction to research it that'd be lovely.

First, what does ASI even stand for and where did ASI files/plugins originate? Was it something used official by R* or was it made by someone else or for something else?

How do people find the memory addresses of the scripting functions when they want to call them in an ASI plugin? I see there is lists of native functions and what I assume to be where they are in memory (or is it something else?), but now my question is how do people even go about finding these? I'm not an expert with memory type stuff like this, but I'm interested in it.

What do I need to do exactly to call the scripting functions when I get the addresses? Again I've seen there are SDKs that let me call them but I'm curious exactly how that works.

I know GTA IV is an old game at this point but I still love it, and I'm interested in modding it. I've done .net mods before using ScriptHookDotNet.dll but I wanna understand more, plus I'm better with C/C++ over the .net languages anyways.

Jitnaught

I've always been curious of these things too.

thehambone

But... being the type of person I am... I wanna know more about what ASI files exactly are and how I can take full advantage of them myself.

You and me both. ;) I can answer a few of your questions.

First, what does ASI even stand for and where did ASI files/plugins originate? Was it something used official by R* or was it made by someone else or for something else?

As far as I know, ASI mods originated through an exploit in GTA III's and GTA Vice City's sound system. These games use the Miles Sound System for audio. Some files that go along with this library contain the .asi extension. Here you can see a file named Mp3dec.asi in the 'mss' folder in my GTA III game directory.

Long ago, somebody whose name has probably been lost to time discovered that the Miles Sound System will load any file with an .asi extension like a DLL and "hook" it into the game as it launches. Since GTA III and VC use the Miles Sound System, no "ASI Loader" is needed to use ASI mods -- simply drop the file into the game root or the 'mss' directory and launch the game. When SA came around, Rockstar stopped using the Miles Sound System, so clever modders had to find another way to hook into the game.

I'm not sure what ASI stands for, but I'm sure it's an acronym for something related to the Miles Sound System.

How do people find the memory addresses of the scripting functions when they want to call them in an ASI plugin? I see there is lists of native functions and what I assume to be where they are in memory (or is it something else?), but now my question is how do people even go about finding these? I'm not an expert with memory type stuff like this, but I'm interested in it.

I've been searching for the answer to this question for the last year. From what I've gathered, a good understanding of how programs work at a low level is necessary. People with a good understanding of Assembly language can disassemble the game executable and search for functions in the disassembled code. Once they know the address of the function they're looking for, as well as any parameters it needs, they can call it from a DLL (ASI) using the address.

What do I need to do exactly to call the scripting functions when I get the addresses? Again I've seen there are SDKs that let me call them but I'm curious exactly how that works.

I think all you need to know is the function header (return type and arguments) and the address of the function. SDKs simply take this information and present it in a more user-friendly manner by taking care of all of the grunt work of dealing with addresses and whatnot.

I hope this helps a little bit. :) I'm no expert modder, so anyone feel free to correct me if I've presented any incorrect information.

Jitnaught

Thanks for the info! :D

Edited by LetsPlayOrDy