3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

AlienTwo

Star Trek

AlienTwo

I think they are trying to do some course correction from the Bryan Fuller direction, the hair explanation is that "Klingons shave their heads in a time of war" and before you state that they weren't at war at the beginning of the series, Mary Cheiffo (sp?) who plays L'Rell stated that the Klingon houses were IN a state of war, internally, before the show started.  Would I prefer that they just give em hair and say nothing? Yeah.  But, no show will be everything I want unless I make it, which.. I don't.  Discovery has issues, for sure, but I like the show overall and I'm able to forgive them.  Re-watching the series is proving more satisfying than the first watch, and I think that's the truth about all Trek.

Orville... fine show, but it's not Star Trek, so I don't talk about it in the same breath.

Flash525
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:11 PM, AlienTwo said:

New trailer from NYCC.  Looks like the Klingons grew their hair back, Spock cemented his place among the Galaxy's hipsters with a beard and the classic design of the Klingon D7 has returned.

Alike the (slightly new looking) Constitution Class, I had kinda' hoped they'd do something with the D7 too. I'm hoping the design we've seen in the trailer is similar in sense to the design we saw of the USS Defiant in that before the ship is actually introduced to us in real-time, it looks different.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:32 AM, Commander S said:

See, the stuff like 'Klingons have hair, now, but probably still have four nostrils, and eh, whatever' is a bit like how I just finished Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, and ...yeah, I'd have preferred if Charles Darwin's voice actor wasn't quite so obviously Canadian, but it's not a deal-breaker. It's a minor thing that gets a sigh, but fine.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:10 PM, AlienTwo said:

I think they are trying to do some course correction from the Bryan Fuller direction, the hair explanation is that "Klingons shave their heads in a time of war" and before you state that they weren't at war at the beginning of the series, Mary Cheiffo (sp?) who plays L'Rell stated that the Klingon houses were IN a state of war, internally, before the show started.  Would I prefer that they just give em hair and say nothing? Yeah.  But, no show will be everything I want unless I make it, which.. I don't.  Discovery has issues, for sure, but I like the show overall and I'm able to forgive them.

I don't remember the Klingons of TNG or DS9 shaving their heads during their Civil War, Federation War or Dominion War. 😛

Commander S

Eh, I'm still not all that sold on serialised, 'twist after twist for the sake of twists' Trek, like I said - even if they went to Trials and Tribble-ations lengths of recreating the original sets and costumes in terms of respecting Trek canon, that's nice, but ultimately cosmetic.

Bit like I'm fully expecting the Picard series to be more of the same (a Picard-centric serial drama, rather than a multi-perspective episodic show), and I'm not really jazzed about that show, either - but I fully expect that it'll go down a lot better with the canon/continuity crowd, simply because 'Patrick Stewart as Picard' = 'feels like a direct continuation, rather than a reboot' to folks who tend to obsess over the cosmetic trappings of things first and foremost.

That's my take on why the 2009 movie has Old Spock and the whole time-travel angle - the movie is effectively a reboot, but frame it as such, and it's "not my Trek!". But throw in some clumsy "look, it's the same character as you remember from that thing you like, so it's a sorta-kinda-prequel-sequel, and thus a continuation instead of a do-over!", and that's good enough for some folk.

Flash525
11 hours ago, Commander S said:

Bit like I'm fully expecting the Picard series to be more of the same (a Picard-centric serial drama, rather than a multi-perspective episodic show), and I'm not really jazzed about that show, either - but I fully expect that it'll go down a lot better with the canon/continuity crowd, simply because 'Patrick Stewart as Picard' = 'feels like a direct continuation, rather than a reboot' to folks who tend to obsess over the cosmetic trappings of things first and foremost.

Despite my liking for Discovery, I do wish they'd have just gone with an all-out reboot. Would have been so much easier on everyone involved I think, and nobody would need to explain anything, or make sure certain elements of the show made sense for the future.

Commander S
On 10/16/2018 at 6:32 AM, Flash525 said:

Despite my liking for Discovery, I do wish they'd have just gone with an all-out reboot. Would have been so much easier on everyone involved I think, and nobody would need to explain anything, or make sure certain elements of the show made sense for the future.

Yeah - because the show really is a marked departure from previous Treks in terms of design, presentation, format, etc., and so it's just kinda odd to try and pretend that it's also a TOS prequel. And on top of that, it seems they're now trying to rework certain things to tie things back to the older shows more, which is the 'Klingon augments without head ridges' problem again: i.e., telling a 'meh' story that no-one asked for (or otherwise wasting time on continuity 'fixes'), in order to massage out some of the discrepancies (but not all of them, so it's ...kinda pointless?).

And the irony is, it wouldn't have taken a reboot to do it! I've long said the best thing to do with a more modern take on Trek (one that isn't mired in minutiae from half a dozen previous shows spanning an entire half-century) is to ...just do like TNG again, set it the best part of a century after TNG, and spend as little time as possible on nods and winks to previous Treks. Granted, that can be chalked up to Gene and co. treating TNG less like a sequel/continuation to TOS, and more of a do-over (so a reboot, basically!), but the end result was that TNG was a perfectly good stand-alone 'jumping-on point' for new viewers, and could function in the same way as a totally new IP might.