2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Getting shot physics

TimMiller

I just love how people limp and scrumble around and fall down slowly and bleed out to death if you shoot them smooth and slowly. They even touch the body parts which the bullet hit. Its a shame that this feature is completely missing in GTA V ( they just die instantly )

Xing of Virtue

My favourite part is how the armed NPCs end up shooting randomly all over the place when you shoot them. They were hysterical as hell.

Algonquin Assassin

The thing that I love about shooting NPCs is you can actually feel the bullets ripping through them. It's a hard thing to explain, but basically it feels nothing like that in GTA V. GTA IV, RDR and MP3 for that matter have the best reaction physics (I guess you could call them that).

• Like 10

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

Firing a clip into an officers torso, hearing him scream and die on the ground, with Niko's timely dialogue; "You poor wretches, you should have found a better way to live."

Hearing the ambulance arrive just as the NPC draws his final breath. :(

The thick, gooey pool of blood that comes out of their heads...

It certainly can make killing feel wrong if you play the game realistically.

• Like 2

It certainly was an evolution to the Simple Physics of the 3D Era. Also, when a person was dead, how you could manipulate their body just by walking over it as well was pretty impressive.

• Like 1

4 had the most satisfying shooting up to this day, you just get this smile on your face while you riddle someone with bullets. Max Payne had it too but it wasn't the same mostly cause of that stupid death indicator, it wasn't satisfying to riddle most ppl with bullets when you knew he was dead after a single shot to the head. 5's shooting feels like ray guns or something, everyone dies so fast you sometimes wonder why dont they just die once you aim your gun at them instead of shooting, would save you the trouble of hearing those bad gun sounds. At least it's not as bad as Mafia 2 where you can't shoot dead bodies because the bullets go through them.....

I just got MGS 5 recently and gotta say the shooting is nearly as satisfying as 4's though. I love how you can just spray someone's legs with SMG and if you're careful he'll just fall in agony, then you can choose to save him or execute him.

It certainly was an evolution to the Simple Physics of the 3D Era. Also, when a person was dead, how you could manipulate their body just by walking over it as well was pretty impressive.

Yeah. I'm not sure if we'll ever see that big of a jump in physics and graphics again as there was from Xbox/PS2 to 360/PS3 just in general. Comparing GTA 3 to GTA IV is a way bigger leap than GTA IV to GTA V on NG or PC.

• Like 1

In terms of physics theres no doubt that 4 had the best of them all, i literally remember that killing people was soo fun in 4 and felt so impressive, gta 4 was ahead of it's time definitely...

I call it the 'Downed/Injured' state they go into. The fact that you can shoot someone down without actually killing them is really awesome.

In terms of physics theres no doubt that 4 had the best of them all, i literally remember that killing people was soo fun in 4 and felt so impressive, gta 4 was ahead of it's time definitely...

Plus the hand to hand combat physics were good, when you knocked someone out cold it was pretty satisfying.

Also, did anyone else ever fight someone in GTA IV and then they have a heart attack? I can't tell if this was a strange glitch I found or a rare occurence, I attacked an older guy, he was fighting back and all the sudden he just colapses and died. I really wish I recorded this so you could see what I mean.

Plus the hand to hand combat physics were good, when you knocked someone out cold it was pretty satisfying.

Also, did anyone else ever fight someone in GTA IV and then they have a heart attack? I can't tell if this was a strange glitch I found or a rare occurence, I attacked an older guy, he was fighting back and all the sudden he just colapses and died. I really wish I recorded this so you could see what I mean.

That happens rarely while the euphoria anim can't happen for some reason, then they just use non-euphoria anim that looks somewhat like a heart attack, you can also see it happen if you shoot people on long distances sometimes. btw, rip Jani Lane

That happens rarely while the euphoria anim can't happen for some reason, then they just use non-euphoria anim that looks somewhat like a heart attack, you can also see it happen if you shoot people on long distances sometimes. btw, rip Jani Lane

Rest in peace indeed. You're the first person to recognize my usage of him in my avatar.

The Dedito Gae

You are kidding, right?

The "hit feel" in this game is awful, is only good when you counterattack someone's attacks, i can't understand how punching someone 9 times with an awkward punch and then a faint is considered satisfactory in any way.

The knockout physics were pretty satisfying to watch. Don't get me wrong the fighting system itself is no Fight Night but I've always felt it's one of the better ones in the GTA series (Even if Vice City Stories is the king of GTA melee combat)

• Like 1

The Dedito Gae

The knockout physics were pretty satisfying to watch. Don't get me wrong the fighting system itself is no Fight Night but I've always felt it's one of the better ones in the GTA series (Even if Vice City Stories is the king of GTA melee combat)

The fighting sistem itself is good, at least not everyone in the city uses the same fighting style of Niko (Cough V), but the melee with weapons and peds reaction to punches is attrocious, i realized this after getting the bear fight trophy in TBOGT, everyone just "faints" when damaged enough by those weird punches, at least in V they actually get knocked to the floor. Edited by Midnight Hitman

Algonquin Assassin

You are kidding, right?

The "hit feel" in this game is awful, is only good when you counterattack someone's attacks, i can't understand how punching someone 9 times with an awkward punch and then a faint is considered satisfactory in any way.

I don't know, but personally timing it just right so Niko KOs his opponent in one hit is very satisfying. Much more than the idiots in GTA V that feel like punching bags in motion.

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

Yeah. We need a grapple mechanic like VCS in the next GTA though, I could run around fist fighting people forever in that game and it'd still be fun.

Edited by Shenmue18
  • Like 2

I miss the days where in GTA IV you could have realistic shootouts or fist fights, where you had 1/10 chances to knock out a civilian with a punch and see/hear them knocking against the ground. Slowly gaining consciousness and threatening you like "I'll be back for you". Slowly walking away and ending up tripping. Nowadays people in GTA 5 die with a single slap like they get a heart attack or something.. smh.

• Like 3

The fighting sistem itself is good, at least not everyone in the city uses the same fighting style of Niko (Cough V), but the melee with weapons and peds reaction to punches is attrocious, i realized this after getting the bear fight trophy in TBOGT, everyone just "faints" when damaged enough by those weird punches, at least in V they actually get knocked to the floor.

You ever see someone get knocked out? They usually fall like a sack of potatoes. None of this superpunch sh*t.

• Like 2

The fighting sistem itself is good, at least not everyone in the city uses the same fighting style of Niko (Cough V), but the melee with weapons and peds reaction to punches is attrocious, i realized this after getting the bear fight trophy in TBOGT, everyone just "faints" when damaged enough by those weird punches, at least in V they actually get knocked to the floor.

You ever see someone get knocked out? They usually fall like a sack of potatoes. None of this superpunch sh*t.

Or Homing Bitchslap Bullsh*t.

• Like 3

The Dedito Gae

Does not matter, looks ridiculous, might as well apply the logic to car crashes, realism isn't the ideal in this case.

Does not matter, looks ridiculous, might as well apply the logic to car crashes, realism isn't the ideal in this case.

Both knockouts as well as ramming peds with cars is on-spot in IV, full-on realism. No idea why it's watered down so much in V, peds slide back like what 15 meters when you bitchslap them while running? I'd say it feels like they're rag dolls but hell even if you punched a rag doll while sprinting it wouldn't go that far lol. And that's just, like, you know, your own opinion. If you watch too much Hollywood michael bay-ish crappy movies you probably also think that peds should get ejected into air and fly away 20 feet if shot with a shotgun, but IV is far more believable for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQI2oBgsv7o - wow look, somehow he doesn't fly 100 meters away.

Edited by lolleroz

How can something realistic be ridiculous? Realism was ideal in this case, it's a story driven game.

Edited by Canadian Badass

The Dedito Gae

How can something realistic be ridiculous? Realism was ideal in this case, it's a story driven game.

I still think the phisics in midfight look really lackluster and niko fighting and specially meele animations are choppy and sh*tty, punches don't have a damage feel like in IV, but that's just me.

The only thing bad with the phisics in getting shot are how everyone are bullet sponges, don't think that normal humans can take 2 AK shots to the chest, i can't remember how many times i shot someone with a shotgun face blank only for him to barely step back.

Edited by Midnight Hitman

I still think the phisics in midfight look really lackluster and niko fighting and specially meele animations are choppy and sh*tty, punches don't have a damage feel like in IV, but that's just me.

The only thing bad with the phisics in getting shot are how everyone are bullet sponges, don't think that normal humans can take 2 AK shots to the chest, i can't remember how many times i shot someone with a shotgun face blank only for him to barely step back.

That's why I use the pistol a lot. The shotgun kills in one hit at close range though, at least for me. I have aimed for their heads and have them do this silly face holding animation, instead of, y'know, acting like they got shot in the head.

I'm not really with you on the fighting physics, I see what you're saying though. I think the system is pretty interactive, timing your shot can lead to a knockout punch.

I don't think being able to kill people with just 2 bullets to the chest would be very fun or good for a GTA game, maybe for unarmed civilians only.

• 6 months later...
Shaggy12001

In GTA V, if you shot a pedestrian in the stomach with a pistol, they would die within five seconds or they would sprint away like nothing happened. In GTA IV, they would stumble and limp away after five seconds of laying down, more realisticly.

If only shotguns didn't suck ass in this game, the gunplay would be perfect. I've literally shot people point blank in the face with a shotgun, only for them to not even fall down. RDR and Max Payne 3 handled shotguns perfectly, they were still very effective even at long range, even GTA V handled shotguns decently, but now they don't really feel like they pack a punch.

• Like 1

The Time Ranger

The power of the sawn off in TLaD is amazing, four shots at close range and a car will go on fire, really packs a punch, pity you can't use it from a car, apart from that one shotgun I find them a bit hit and miss in regards to damage, rarely use them in missons.

Edited by Neon_Dreaming

The power of the sawn off in TLaD is amazing, four shots at close range and a car will go on fire, really packs a punch, pity you can't use it from a car, apart from that one shotgun I find them a bit hit and miss in regards to damage, rarely use them in missons.

Yeah the sawn off is nice, it's the only shotgun in the game that I like but even then it still suffers from some of the problems other shotguns have.