2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

GTA Online through Proxy/Firewall

Baahubali

[sOLVED] Check at the end of this post. Discussions and suggestions/idea/feedbacks are still and will always be welcomed and appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST:

Hi, everyone! :)

I'm new here. Some days back I bought my first PC Game, Grand Theft Auto V solely for the purpose of GTA Online multiplayer. It worked nice at my home on BSNL Broadband. But at my college, it's giving me errors namely code 201 and code 202.

My college wifi is secured by Cyberoam UTM Network Firewall and we use Psiphon VPN to bypass it. I cannot find any proxy settings for GTA Online to get it to work on a proxy. It's been a day I'm looking for the solution on the internet. To be as clear as possible, please help me with these queries:

• Is there any settings to be done with GTA Online when surfing internet on a proxy?
  • Are there any other VPNs I can test to get online? I'm presently reading about them and this seems to be a possibility to me.
  • Any networking stuff I've to check in order to understand how online gaming works? Like I'm testing open ports, NAT and related
  • Any other workaround or suggestion?
Please reply for any related technical details needed. Any suggestion or idea is higly appreciated. I loved GTA Online and would love to play the same with you all again.

Thanks in advance. :)

END OF ORIGINAL POST

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOLUTION:

POST #37 - http://gtaforums.com/topic/830048-gta-online-through-proxyfirewall/?p=1068215729

After days of regular research and experimenting, I successfully played GTA Online with over 25 players in the lobby yesterday. I used VPN Gate OpenVPN config files.

VPNGate servers changes every now and then and I've to configure accordingly. I was able to log into GTA Online with VPNBook Euro 217 UDP 53 OpenVPN Config even without logging into my Cyberoam Account but with VPNGate I've to log in with Cyberoam Account that too with an staff account we've stolen up :p

Today, while playing it with the new VPNGate server, online logged into successfully with over 25 players in the lobby but everyone left the game suddenly.

I'm happy that I'm proceeding step by step every day and learning new stuff.

Can anyone help me with this? Any other VPN you recommend? Any other OpenVPN config? Any kind of suggestions are appreciated. I'm ready to experiment anything.

POST #39 - http://gtaforums.com/topic/830048-gta-online-through-proxyfirewall/?p=1068350238

I'll make a new page with instructions as soon as I get time. For now, I'm posting a summary of the steps for you. If you find any problem in the steps, message me. :)

1) Download and Install OpenVPN Client.

2) Download any OpenVPN config file from vpngate.com (TCP worked for me. You've to hit and try some config files to see what works)

3) Copy them to the config Folder of the OpenVPN installation directory.

4) Run OpenVPN Client and select the corresponding config file.

5) See if it connects successfully and assigns you a new IP. Otherwise, download another config file (Repeat Step 2).

6) See if GTA Online works. If not, Repeat Step 2.

For me, TCP 995 files always worked. Hope this helps. Have a nice day. :)

Edited by Baahubali

your first pc game was GTA multiplayer ??

i feel sorry for you now

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83
  • Like 3

FrugalDangerMan

i feel sorry for you now

Trial by fire. Extremely racist homophobic fire.

Have you tried talking to the college Tech/Network Guys and asked to open the required ports? I lived at both college and uni (I'm from the uk) and was playing cs mainly at the time online. Both had firewalls setup but when I asked them to open up the ports they obliged. The college guys even fixed my PC once when I had a virus that would shut down my PC.

Edited by emptyplayer

Is there any settings to be done with GTA Online when surfing internet on a proxy?

I don't think you can use a proxy.

Are there any other VPNs I can test to get online? I'm presently reading about them and this seems to be a possibility to me.

If you have the right VPN it will probably work, but if you really want to use a VPN it would be best for you to setup one your home so you can configure it as needed.

i feel sorry for you now

Yeah, my first online multiplayer game! I just bought a gaming laptop. Stay to the point or don't reply! I don't understand what kind of purpose these people are serving in the forums where people have gathered to help each other. Unnecessary mass on the planet earth! Well, ignored. I've other replies.

Edited by Paras Lehana

Have you tried talking to the college Tech/Network Guys and asked to open the required ports? I lived at both college and uni (I'm from the uk) and was playing cs mainly at the time online. Both had firewalls setup but when I asked them to open up the ports they obliged. The college guys even fixed my PC once when I had a virus that would shut down my PC.

I'm trying to check if the ports are open using portforward port check tool. It's giving errors for any random ports I use. The network guys don't really care about gaming and downloading problems students would have. They won't do anything but I'll try to have a word with them.

Is there any settings to be done with GTA Online when surfing internet on a proxy?

I don't think you can use a proxy.

Are there any other VPNs I can test to get online? I'm presently reading about them and this seems to be a possibility to me.

If you have the right VPN it will probably work, but if you really want to use a VPN it would be best for you to setup one your home so you can configure it as needed.

Any guide for setting up VPN at my home? I'm new into this VPN stuff.

Just play when youre home, problem solved

So helpful. You should get the best answer cookie for this. Just don't post when you can't help, problem solved.

What router/modem do you have?

I have TP Link TD-W8968 Modem/Router at home and here at college I'm directly connected to the Wifi of a CISCO Router

No-one can truly answer this as a proxy introduces an unknown factor, plus there's the firewall as well. You really need to get in touch with whoever maintains or administrates the network, as emptyplayer said. There's no way of anyone else knowing what the proxy server is doing with your traffic.

It would be better if you had access to the router settings, and in this case a vpn/proxy won't work
https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200525767-GTA-Online-Connection-Troubleshooting

Not exactly true, I use NordVPN and can play Online games with no issues but like the other said it's more or less a case by case basis....

But to be honest there really isn't a "need" to use proxy/VPN while playing Online games, Sure you'll get people who'll threathen to hack you but out of the thousands of times i've been told they were going to hack me hasn't happened yet.

i feel sorry for you now

Yeah, my first online multiplayer game! I just bought a gaming laptop. Stay to the point or don't reply! I don't understand what kind of purpose these people are serving in the forums where people have gathered to help each other. Unnecessary mass on the planet earth! Well, ignored. I've other replies.

Just ignore em, albeit a forum it isn't exactly a forum where people gather to "help" people it's a forum for folks to talk about the game in general and when asked the majoirty of folks will answer your question as best as they can and others will troll. but welcome to the Forum

Edited by AiraCobra

It would be better if you had access to the router settings, and in this case a vpn/proxy won't work

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200525767-GTA-Online-Connection-Troubleshooting

Not exactly true, I use NordVPN and can play Online games with no issues but like the other said it's more or less a case by case basis....

But to be honest there really isn't a "need" to use proxy/VPN while playing Online games, Sure you'll get people who'll threathen to hack you but out of the thousands of times i've been told they were going to hack me hasn't happened yet.

i feel sorry for you now

Just ignore em, albeit a forum it isn't exactly a forum where people gather to "help" people it's a forum for folks to talk about the game in general and when asked the majoirty of folks will answer your question as best as they can and others will troll. but welcome to the Forum

You're awesome!

I'll try the mentioned VPN. Let me also gather some information from the network guys tomorrow.

Well, do you use VPN on a restricted network like mine?

Edited by ~Tiger~

I have TP Link TD-W8968 Modem/Router at home and here at college I'm directly connected to the Wifi of a CISCO Router

the one at your college should not matter, but if your router supported a VPN that would be the easiest way to setup one up. I can look later, but I think you want a tunneling vpn. I know the right kind of vpn is hard to block, and will get you around most firewalls.

No-one can truly answer this as a proxy introduces an unknown factor, plus there's the firewall as well. You really need to get in touch with whoever maintains or administrates the network, as emptyplayer said. There's no way of anyone else knowing what the proxy server is doing with your traffic.

If I can Bypass the firewall through Psiphon VPN, can't I play multiplayer by doing something related? I can give you any technical details needed about the network config if you happen to know something about the same.

If I can Bypass the firewall through Psiphon VPN, can't I play multiplayer by doing something related? I can give you any technical details needed about the network config if you happen to know something about the same.

Sorry, but "no-one can truly answer this" and "you really need to get in touch with whoever maintains or administrates the network" aren't phrases I expect to be followed by asking me for help.

You're awesome!

I'll try the mentioned VPN. Let me also gather some information from the network guys tomorrow.

Well, do you use VPN on a restricted network like mine?

No i don't i use the VPN on a home network with open NAT-Type so like i said it's a case by case basis

the one at your college should not matter, but if your router supported a VPN that would be the easiest way to setup one up. I can look later, but I think you want a tunneling vpn. I know the right kind of vpn is hard to block, and will get you around most firewalls.I've never been into this before and this concept is totally new to me. I never knew I could set up a VPN at home. I'm presently reading this guide -http://lifehacker.com/5900969/build-your-own-vpn-to-pimp-out-your-gaming-streaming-remote-access-and-oh-yeah-security

Will try it. Thanks.

Edited by Baahubali

I feel for you dude but can't help much so here are some links to port forwarding in case your IT guys can help you.

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/communities/public/questions/203336988-Ports-Required-for-PC-GTA-Online

http://portforward.com/help/grand-theft-auto-online/

Sorry I can't help more, I really wish I had saved the link I found a long time ago when I couldn't join my friend that lived in a dorm. Whatever I did solved the problem and i'm pretty sure it had to do with port forwarding.

Good luck!

Sorry, but "no-one can truly answer this" and "you really need to get in touch with whoever maintains or administrates the network" aren't phrases I expect to be followed by asking me for help.

It's okay. Ignore it. It wasn't for you. Just quoted you by mistake. It was for the ones "who happen to know something about networking". Thanks.

I feel for you dude but can't help much so here are some links to port forwarding in case your IT guys can help you.

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/communities/public/questions/203336988-Ports-Required-for-PC-GTA-Online

http://portforward.com/help/grand-theft-auto-online/

Sorry I can't help more, I really wish I had saved the link I found a long time ago when I couldn't join my friend that lived in a dorm. Whatever I did solved the problem and i'm pretty sure it had to do with port forwarding.

Good luck!

Yup dude, I really want to get online. I really loved when I played it at home. :(

Port Forwarding is related to a router as per my knowledge and it's a college router, so I can't access it.

Well, thanks for what you helped. Have a good day. :)

Edited by Baahubali

OP you wont connect to R* through proxies , VPN or any other attempt to hide your IP address, R* security wont allow it

on another note, what makes a laptop into a gaming laptop? seems like an oxymoron

OP you wont connect to R* through proxies , VPN or any other attempt to hide your IP address, R* security wont allow it

on another note, what makes a laptop into a gaming laptop? seems like an oxymoron

A VPN is not the same thing as a proxy. A VPN that is setup correctly will act like an extension of your LAN, and because of this if the OP sets up a VPN at his home it should work.

Edited by ChevyOwner

There're differences between proxy and VPN.

To the second one, a 980M GPU. END OF THE STORY.

i feel sorry for you now

Like i said "in this case". I know it's a case by case basis

If you can afford a gaming laptop, may I suggest using a 4g wireless hotspot? Not the most cost effective but it if VPN isn't going to work, whether it be because of speed or it simply not working, this might be the only solution.

I have played my PS4 online with the hotspot on my phone a couple of times with surprisingly good speed and I only get 1 bar of 4G is my house.

I visited the Server Room of my college today and gathered some information on the ports as people here suggested. They told me that well known TCP ports are kept open while ports > 1000 for UDP are mostly closed as they were 'concerned with the security flaws associated with them'.

Do each and every port mentioned on the Rockstar support needs to be open?

If you can afford a gaming laptop, may I suggest using a 4g wireless hotspot? Not the most cost effective but it if VPN isn't going to work, whether it be because of speed or it simply not working, this might be the only solution.

I have played my PS4 online with the hotspot on my phone a couple of times with surprisingly good speed and I only get 1 bar of 4G is my house.

4G is not a solution. Their prices are too much here plus they've data usage limitations.

Edited by Baahubali

There're differences between proxy and VPN.

To the second one, a 980M GPU. END OF THE STORY.

I understand VPN, sorry I didn't know the 980m could handle multiple monitors..