3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Map_IO DFF Batch Export Patch [Kam Scripts]

DdogOlsen

Thank you Kam for compiling together all these awesome tools for us all!!! (http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=9172)

You will need to have both 3D Studio Max and Kam's Scripts installed and working prior to applying this patch.

::About MAP_IO's IPL DFF Batching Exporting::

The normal process of Kam's Map_IO tool allows you to only import IPL files as whole scenes into 3d studio max. You are then left to compile a list of DFF files (using the Map_IO checklist feature), and hop over to the DFF_IO tool to import / save or export DFFs one by one, by hand.

The above process/option remains true, however now there is a new group within the Map_IO / IO Control rollout called "Batch DFF Export" too. The batch export feature exports all DFF models within a chosen IPL to a desired format resulting in a single copy of each model exported out.

Simply choose a GTA version at the top, then choose your directory of exported DFF files. The proceeding groups after DFF path will begin to become enabled as you progress (including the new Batch Exporting feature) through the form. I've re-arranged and added these disabled / enabled states to all IO Control buttons to lower the amount of confusion for first time users.

MAP_IOBatchExport.jpg

::About Collision_IO's Batching Exporting::

The normal process of Kam's Collision_IO tool allows you to only open .COL/.DFF files as sets and load collision data into 3d studio max one at a time. You are then left to load and save each collision part up / save it out by hand, one at a time.

The above process/option remains true, however now there is a new group within the Collision_IO / IO Controls rollout called "Batch COL Export". This batch export feature exports all the collision models within a chosen .COL/.DFF to a desired format resulting in a single copy of each collision model exported out.

The proceeding groups after "Open Collision File" will begin to become enabled as you progress (including the new Batch Exporting feature) through the form. I've re-arranged and added these disabled / enabled states to all IO Controls buttons to lower the amount of confusion for first time users.

COL_IOBatchExport.jpg

::Code Changes::
This batch process leans into the existing functionality of the IPL/COL import (nothing new from me here) so all Object Properties should still work. The only thing this does is add an interstitial saving / resetting of the scene upon each successful import of a IPL/COL's mesh data. @Kam have no fear I've re-encrypted the gtaMapIO_Fn script and GTA_COL_IO.

::Options::

Export Path = The location where you would like the dump these exported DFF files on your hard drive.
Export Format = The file format you wish to export each DFF within the IPL file out to your hard drive as.

- .max (keeps uvws and materials reference)
- .fbx (keeps uvws and material references)
- .3ds (no uvws, no material reference)
- .obj (no uvws, no material reference)

::Conclusion::
If you like the new changes or would like to see more changes like export format options, let me know down below. I think this might help a lot of individuals out there who currently use or are about to begin using Kam Script's Map_IO/Collision_IO feature. Also this was built on Max 2014 so it would be great to know if other versions out there are able to confirm this patch works for them.

Thanks!

Download Here: http://filebin.ca/2MoT6MRp7sbx

Edited by DdogOlsen

There are alot of bugs in Kams, are you planning to fix those?

For example, something which affects projects like SOL, SAxVCxLC, and more, which is needing to be fixed.

(According to X-Seti, it can export unused material data causing massive issues)

Sorry I've only tested this with VC.

So far in Max 2014 I've had no issues giving me what it has stated to do. Only slight tweak I've had to make (outside the above posted) was around the GTA Material it setups on objects when imported from the Map_IO or DFF_IO. I changed it to use a standard material so my multi-material was only two levels deep. I think I also setup it to name the material after the name of the assigned texture to the model.

I've only just begun working with max scripting and digging into his code this week, so not sure how much help I will be able to bring. I'm willing to try however.
Any more details around other issues?

Edited by DdogOlsen

Currently there has been no changes to Kam's script other than adding a batch export feature to the Map_IO.
But sounds like you would like the script to respect the material channels per DFF instead of say alpha channels for all?

I can take a look at that and see what I can find.

Currently there has been no changes to Kam's script other than adding a batch export feature to the Map_IO.

But sounds like you would like the script to respect the material channels per DFF instead of say alpha channels for all?

I can take a look at that and see what I can find.

Yes i use X scripts because it has batch support and it's doesn't mess up like others. But if you can improve kams that would be good.

Patch has been updated:
- include a Collision_IO batch export feature
- add reset to start of Map_IO batch export feature so first export wont contain existing scene data.

- fixed Map_IO batch export button to no longer ask for IPL file for a second time, but does mean you can't actually access batch export till you have loaded IPL files.

Still looking into fixing the above mentions guys.
More soon.

Is it possible to make the DFF Importer import the models smoothed instead of not smoothed?

Is it possible to make the DFF Importer import the models smoothed instead of not smoothed?

Yeah that's another thing that bugged me. I would like this implanted on tool. I hate manually redoing smooth groups.Of course there will be some models that don't need it. But it be nice to see if this can be done.

Ok, but let me re-state the issue so I fully understand it. Right now when you import a DFF using the DFF_IO tool, it imports the meshe(s) into max with a smooth group setting of 1 across all meshes; you guys would like it to not just be a standard 1 smooth group across all meshes, but rather keep model's original smooth groups per mesh face as the DFF originally intended? (Same idea as materials no?)

I've managed to decrypt Kam's GTADFFin_Fn.mse & CharDFFimp.mse and there is a lot to go over. I looks like he introduced the CharDFFimp.mse code over the GTADFFin_Fn.mse a number of years back to allow animation / bones and skinned meshes to be imported, so I'm focused on just CharDFFimp.mse right now.

Looking at how he cracks open the DFF files, he is using conditional flags via line by line readLong BitStream reading to get values out of the DFF sections and apply them / their settings to the mesh he builds up in code. The hard part about this is while reading the DFF, your BitStream pointer progresses the document with each reading, so he does not make explicit calls to sections within his code anywhere, just progresses through the file by moving the point. That means he has A) guessed the structure of a DFF file via lots and lots trial and error B) has a DFF key kinda like this http://www.gtamodding.com/wiki/RenderWare_binary_stream_file I found, but possibly more in-depth than that one.

Either way, I've got his code and comments of him progressing over the DFF sections, what I need to now do is see if I can find more values of settings to apply to the model being built up in code. For smooth groups, I think he is just checking the bool of the mesh part being a "triangle strip" ( http://www.gtamodding.com/wiki/Geometry_(RW_Section) ) or not, and setting it to a smooth group of 1, nothing more. I'm not sure (again lack of full details of dff section reading via bitstream) if there are additional settings or values for triangle strips besides bool, but I will let you know more soon.

Thanks, sorry for the novel.

Edited by DdogOlsen
  • Like 3

Ok, but let me re-state the issue so I fully understand it. Right now when you import a DFF using the DFF_IO tool, it imports the meshe(s) into max with a smooth group setting of 1 across all meshes; you guys would like it to not just be a standard 1 smooth group across all meshes, but rather keep model's original smooth groups per mesh face as the DFF originally intended? (Same idea as materials no?)

Well no when you import models it has none. And no we shouldn't use 1 accross every model some models don't need smoothing groups. It's just what i've seen it gets broken. You have to weld verts and redo smoothing if it wasn't messed up. It's not perfect but hope you can address this. It's not a huge problem but causes alot of time to be spent manually fixing. It's a little complex to explain in detail on a proper way.

• Like 2