3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

The Driving Appreciation Thread

Gnocchi Flip Flops

I loved the driving in GTA IV from the very first day ... I never understood the criticism about it. It's fun, realistic and very satisfying if you master it ... especially since every type of car reacts differently, depending on weather, surface, etc. It's brilliant.

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
billiejoearmstrong8

So since discovering IV like 6 months ago I haven't played V at all (after playing non stop for years), yesterday I thought why not give it a play. OH MAN the driving is so bad!!! I never minded it before and didn't think it was that different to IV (and I'm sure it would stop bothering me as much after playing for a while) but going from IV to it it's atrocious. First thing I did was get in a bus and it's literally like driving a toy one, no weight to it, no texture to the driving, handles like it's on rails. And then when you at least try to have some fun barreling into smaller vehicles with it they stop you dead as if they're made of lead (when in fact if you drove one it would also be like a light plastic toy). Trying other vehicles and it's no better, all the same artificial feeling handling and lightness and nothing to distinguish them from each other (and incidentally when I got a gun out and started shooting same plastic toy experience - also you have to press two buttons instead of one to fire a gun from a vehicle which is annoying). Final straw when I hit something and flew out the window and died instantly even though I had a lot of health and it wasn't a hard fall (where in IV I would've gone flying along the road amusingly and unpredictably and dusted myself off), realised the game is no fun and turned it off. IV driving ALL THE WAY, so much more character, realness and fun to it, so much appreciation for the level of thought and detail put into it right now. This game has well and truly ruined V for me.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
Algonquin Assassin
On 4/6/2019 at 10:30 PM, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

So since discovering IV like 6 months ago I haven't played V at all (after playing non stop for years), yesterday I thought why not give it a play. OH MAN the driving is so bad!!! I never minded it before and didn't think it was that different to IV (and I'm sure it would stop bothering me as much after playing for a while) but going from IV to it it's atrocious. First thing I did was get in a bus and it's literally like driving a toy one, no weight to it, no texture to the driving, handles like it's on rails. And then when you at least try to have some fun barreling into smaller vehicles with it they stop you dead as if they're made of lead (when in fact if you drove one it would also be like a light plastic toy). Trying other vehicles and it's no better, all the same artificial feeling handling and lightness and nothing to distinguish them from each other (and incidentally when I got a gun out and started shooting same plastic toy experience - also you have to press two buttons instead of one to fire a gun from a vehicle which is annoying). Final straw when I hit something and flew out the window and died instantly even though I had a lot of health and it wasn't a hard fall (where in IV I would've gone flying along the road amusingly and unpredictably and dusted myself off), realised the game is no fun and turned it off. IV driving ALL THE WAY, so much more character, realness and fun to it, so much appreciation for the level of thought and detail put into it right now. This game has well and truly ruined V for me.

Interesting to get the perspective from someone relatively fresh to GTA IV. It's not just us old GTA IV folk that have been used to it for years.

• Like 1
Algonquin Assassin
33 minutes ago, Zello said:

Driving in other games feels wrong. IV gets it right.

I wouldn't say wrong necessarily, but driving physics in other games feel conformed and standardised so the general masses don't have a bitch fit just because they have to use the brakes properly and can't go flying around corners like Lewis Hamilton in his F1 Mercedes.

I'm happy GTA IV exists to break the monotony.

Out of all the open world games I've played, the only game I've played that had sh*t driving mechanics was Just Cause 2. It's literally that difficult to even make a turn, and mind you, this is with a fast car. As soon as I press the handbrake button, my car goes out of f*cking control, and starts to flip over and drifts all over the place.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
On 4/9/2019 at 8:42 AM, El Penguin Bobo said:

Out of all the open world games I've played, the only game I've played that had sh*t driving mechanics was Just Cause 2. It's literally that difficult to even make a turn, and mind you, this is with a fast car. As soon as I press the handbrake button, my car goes out of f*cking control, and starts to flip over and drifts all over the place.

Wait until you see Sleeping Dogs. 

I never minded GTA V's physics, but looking back I prefer IV's. V is still complex enough to be fun but it feels a little more watered down from IV. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 947614B said:

Wait until you see Sleeping Dogs.

I actually never had a problem with Sleeping Dogs. Unrealistic and arcadish asf, but I can give it credit for being at least functional.

billiejoearmstrong8

I love the driving so much that I've found it has spoiled the driving in other GTA games a bit for me now. Just feels so satisfying, getting where I need to go, police chases, driving at top speed doing stunts or crashing into stuff or jumping out, or just cruising around, it's the best. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

I love the driving so much that I've found it has spoiled the driving in other GTA games a bit for me now. Just feels so satisfying, getting where I need to go, police chases, driving at top speed doing stunts or crashing into stuff or jumping out, or just cruising around, it's the best. 

Not just GTA games for me, but open world games in general. The only satisfaction I get from other games are dedicated driving/racing sims. As far as open world goes GTA IV is in a league of its own.

The physics give a steep learning curve that's difficult to master, but that's why I love them personally. 

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

The driving in GTA IV definitely my favorite in the series.

It's not flawless. Some cars could use more acceleration, sometimes you can find some cars and bikes that feel too slidey, but it's really satisfying in general. Not a simulation, but it has some elements that make it more realistic than driving in the other titles in some ways.

• Like 4
Algonquin Assassin

In my current save of GTA IV I have racked up over 3 hours just in racing.:ph34r:

I know the races are incredibly easy, but it's more about my own satisfaction trying to better my own lap time in different cars. Hell I like to change things up and use bikes every now and then. The thing with GTA IV's driving is I've never felt R* wanted to make it a full blown simulator.

I think people miss the point when others say it's "realistic" and take it too literally. It's never going to be as realistic as driving a real car obviously as even simulators can never real feel like driving an actual car entirely, but for an open world game and especially a GTA game it is, but that's what also makes it fun. Since I've also been playing San Andreas alongside GTA IV and some people regard San Andreas as the holy grail when it comes driving I just don't see it. Granted the physics are good, but they don't feel that much different to GTA III and Vice City IMO. Sure they're fun, but that's about it.

The thing I've always loved about GTA IV's driving is there is a genuine consequence for making a mistake. Come into a corner a bit too hot and chances are you'll overshoot, hit the apex of the corner at a slightly wrong angle and you'll likely get understeer/oversteer, don't modulate the brakes properly and you wont pull up. When it comes to the physics feeling like "boats". I can only see that applying to things like some of the sedans, vans, SUVs etc. The bodyroll of those is more prominent, but I expect to it be and naturally they don't handle that great as they shouldn't be like F1 cars.

I'll never fathom or comprehend how anyone can say the sports and supercars handle like "boats" though. Even with some bodyroll present they objectively handle like their real life counterparts and the only way to lose control of them is if you intentionally try to do it. With no exaggeration I have probably hundreds if not thousands of hours of driving in GTA IV and know just about every car, truck, van etc like the back of my hand. Love driving in this game.:)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SonOfLiberty said:

I think people miss the point when others say it's "realistic" and take it too literally. It's never going to be as realistic as driving a real car obviously as even simulators can never real feel like driving an actual car entirely, but for an open world game and especially a GTA game it is, but that's what also makes it fun. Since I've also been playing San Andreas alongside GTA IV and some people regard San Andreas as the holy grail when it comes driving I just don't see it. Granted the physics are good, but they don't feel that much different to GTA III and Vice City IMO. Sure they're fun, but that's about it.

To be fair, there's some remarkable differences between the handling of GTA San Andreas and Vice City, so more than between Vice City and GTA III. When I come back to it, it actually feels like a bridge between GTA Vice City and GTA IV. Vehicles started to feel heavier, acceleration has been somewhat toned down in general, suspension became more challenging, and performance differences between vehicles became more recognizable.

I want to mention that some of the complaints that people have about GTA IV's driving were no strangers to San Andreas. Vehicles are generally not that much less slidey than those of GTA IV, and sometimes they're even more slidey when you're turning around while using brakes. I also noticed that cars (which doesn't seem to happen with bikes, though) in San Andreas force some kind of brake effect when you turn to another direction even without intending to use the brakes (much more than in GTA IV), which felt weird. As for the biggest annoyance I've had from San Andreas' handling, it would most likely be the weird slide you would experience when your vehicle hits a lamp or a traffic light, which usually forces an almost complete turn of your vehicle, and trust me, that happens quite a lot. Of course you can avoid it if you drive carefully, but it's so frustrating when you miss in chases or timed missions.

It's still my favorite handling in the 3D era, but just like in the other titles (including GTA IV), it's in no way perfect.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

6 hours into my 3rd playthrough of the game - this time on PC - I can just say it once more, this is the best driving of any open-world videogame. But honestly, it's not just the driving, it's the entire physics/animation system and the incredible amount of detail put into everything of this game. There is a reason this is my most played videogame of all time up until now and that I'm still playing it, it comes as close to perfection a videogame can. Also the below pre-release screenshot will always be one of my favorites, the skyline of Algonquin is just 😍.

rama.jpg

Edited by Emmi
  • Like 4
  • 10 months later...
billiejoearmstrong8

Bit of a bump but I just wanna say I'm grateful to GTA IV's driving because being so used to it has made playing LA Noire much easier than it otherwise would've been lol. IV's driving is obviously better but it's similar with the heavy weight to the vehicles, the need to brake early/a lot and the dense city traffic.

• Like 1

Turismo is my favourite. The handling is just beautiful, but I also love the Presidente and the Buffalo. 

Yep, the absolute best driving mechanic in the GTA series and no one can convince me otherwise. Whoever is responsible for the driving mechanics in IV needs a god damned medal. They are up there with the Driver games in terms of how fun it can be to get behind the wheel (San Francisco especially).

Speaking of Driver, I think I've finally figured out why I love IV's driving mechanics so much. It's because they remind me of the Driver and Mafia series respectively; the mechanics really have that 'oldies' feel. The driving mechanics in IV are literally 'car chase simulator' material, much like Driver. Soft suspension with tonnes of body roll, no ABS and lack of high speed stability really offer a stark reminder of how cars used to handle back then (and when I say back then, I really mean the 1990s/1980s and earlier) - something Driver and Mafia do very well. The right cars also have the tendency to 'peel out' (as the Americans call it) from a standstill, which is awesome. But what I love the most is that the sense of speed (much like in Driver and Mafia) is phenomenal, so much so, that even driving fast in the slowest of cars makes you feel like you're going flat out - it's truly a marvel and fun as hell. I feel these mechanics really emphasise the 'slow cars fast > fast cars fast' ideology.

I think having driving mechanics like these really attest to what kind of game IV is, which is a true experience of the open world action genre. I have to say that there is no better way of traversing Liberty City than to drive, despite having other quicker/easier options. I also believe that having mechanics like these was no coincidence, particularly when you have a storyline full of car chases and a mission entitled 'The Puerto Rican Connection'. Take note that most, if not all, of the chases in the game involve sedans - the memorable ones, at least - which is also not a coincidence when considering chase sequences from films like Ronin. The driving physics, from my point of view, are nothing but an ode to the old crime thrillers of yesteryear, and it becomes even more evident when there's a mission paying tribute to a film, The French Connection, which (arguably) has one of the best car chases in the history of cinema. Whoever worked on the driving for this game was definitely a John Frankenheimer fan (or a fan of older crime thrillers in general), and boy, it shows.

My time to replay IV is nearly upon me, and I have this strange desire to play it again entirely with a controller despite being on PC. I feel this urge to get down to the nitty gritty with these physics (which I haven't done since the Xbox 360 days), and I feel I cannot do that with a keyboard and mouse. On foot controls won't really cut it on controllers, so I figure I'll have to hot swap - fine by me.

Edited by Riqitch8
  • Like 4
Flymystical-DJ
On 5/5/2020 at 11:08 PM, DownInThePMs said:

I dont even hate iv tf

Yes, you are not a GTA IV hater, but you were implying a criticism, which caused user Niobium to respond negatively. User Nappy stepped in to say that criticism towards IV should not be automatically responded to negatively and used "haters" hyperbolically to make his message clearer: "stop criticizing someone just for criticizing GTA IV. The game has problems and blindly defending those problems in a non-civilized manner gives the entire GTA IV community a bad name." Which it already has if you talk to anyone who grew up with GTA V they hate the GTA IV community. It appears you were caught in the crossfire of this community dispute. I was not involved, but I apologize.

That being said I love the GTA IV driving. As user Algonquin Assassin said the driving was not trying to be realistic but merely use gameplay mechanics to imply realism. While ultimately I think this approach was used as crutch to save development costs and make it all work in an open-world environment I don't think that makes it inherently bad. You still FEEL like you're driving a real car, you still FEEL like you're learning and practicing real vehicle skill, you still FEEL the thrill of escaping police in a low-end sedan. You feel the weight, you feel the power, you feel the responsibility GTA IV nails all the feelings of driving a real car without actually being realistic and by doing this it brought all the excitement and rewarding achievements that come with that experience. It has absolutely spoiled my enjoyment of driving in other open-world games, I'm simply not as attached.

Gonna dream a bit here but here's hoping GTA VI implements driving mechanics as realistic as possible partnered up with Mario Kart 8-esque driving assistance options that make the driving feel as "good" as it did in GTA V. I think actual vehicle physics would be the only way to top GTA IV's in terms of realism. 

On 3/17/2021 at 2:57 PM, DasMoose said:

Turismo is my favourite. The handling is just beautiful, but I also love the Presidente and the Buffalo. 

This is an underrated aspect of the GTA IV driving. When you finally hop into a sports car, boy, do you feel it. Last time I played when Brucie let me keep that sports car after the first race I just drove around for an hour straight. Only time I ever felt the need to get a car wash too.

Edited by Flymystical-DJ
  • Like 1
catsmackaroo

I feel like GTA IV requires a skill to be able to drive well, GTA V not being like this due to every car steering & braking too easily.

I also feel like GTA SA is a mix of both, though I definitely prefer IV over SA's driving, also SA's flying sux...

I wish I could reset my GTA experiences and document how I felt about the driving over the years, I have a bias for GTA IV, any fan of anything will, but hopefully it's not a blinding bias, true shame if so!

I believe GTA IV driving is perfect...except the ambulance, it handles TOO well....it's weird but also funny

Edited by catsmackaroo
  • Like 2
billiejoearmstrong8

I honestly feel like the driving in IV isn't even that much more difficult than in V. I had a quick go on my brother's copy of IV when it came out and failed at driving so hard I didn't bother with it again. But then when I tried playing V it was the same thing lol, the driving in both games was more difficult than in 3D era GTA and felt like being on an ice rink in comparison. To this day I think the driving in V is more ice rink-like than in IV, even though the brakes slow you very fast it's always hard to stop exactly where you want. But anyway this time I didn't give up and turned out it only took a short time to get the hang of the driving in V. And then when I went back to IV it also only took a short time because it wasn't that different, you pretty much just have to brake earlier/more. 

So yeah like, IV's driving does require more...attention I guess, because you have to think about using the brakes more, and there's more variation in the handling of different veihcles. And I like that because you feel more engaged with the driving. But I'm FAR from skilled at driving in games and I don't find it particularly difficult. I just like how detailed it is and how "real" it feels.

3 hours ago, catsmackaroo said:

I believe GTA IV driving is perfect...except the ambulance, it handles TOO well....it's weird but also funny

Never would've thought of this but damn you're right :lol:. When I die in Bohan I like to grab an ambulance from the hospital and go along the freeway there at top speed with the siren on and then crash into the side barrier and go flying through the windscreen into the sea. And it DOES handle far better than it should lmao, but it's great.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 1