2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Homing missile evasion with a Savage?

G3T STR4F3D

I have a Savage and Hydra. I love flying both, but I hardly get to fly my Savage because of people always looking for cheap homing launcher kills. I can easily dodge missiles with the Hydra, but I never can with the Savage. Is there any sort of tactic to evading homing missiles with a large and irresponsive helicopter like the Savage?

I'm pretty sure there isn't, it's too big and slow. It makes sense though, compensates for the explosive gun and missiles with no cool-down period.

One thing that pisses me off about it is how long my character takes to jump out. Sometimes I can press Y as soon as I hear the missile sound and I still get killed because my character has to f*ck around with the door.

I heard that missiles are pretty much guaranteed not to hit you if they're shot from the side, but is it really true?

Don Z McHenry

This is why I fly a Buzzard. There's really no need for me to purchase any other helicopter, except for the sake of having it.

She's old but reliable :)

the only chance to not get hit in a savage is when you are pretty close to the one firing the rocket and you keep moving towards him.

the only chance to not get hit in a savage is when you are pretty close to the one firing the rocket and you keep moving towards him.

That happens with pretty much every aircraft, as long as the missile goes straight past you, it won't be able turn around and get you. But that scenario only happens about 20% of the time.

I usually put a sticky on the savage, if i hear the locking signal long enough, i blow myself up(dont grant them their kill).You can also try and go into passive before you get hit...

Edited by Foppezão

I usually put a sticky on the savage, if i hear the locking signal long enough, i blow myself up(dont grant them their kill).You can also try and go into passive before you get hit...

Had a dude using the Savage to grief any and all downtown one night. Went up into the construction site to get a good vantage point with my homing launcher, got a lock and fired only to have the dbag use the cheap tactic of going passive. If you're going to use the Savage to grief those on the ground just accept that you will eventually die to a rocket. Going passive is just lame in my opinion. The sticky technique is cool I suppose. It evens out really. Sure if it makes you feel better to not let them get the kill that's fine, I got you out of the sky at least.

If we can just get the homing launcher to get jets a little more consistently then it would be more balanced. My opinion? Get rid of the explosive rounds on the jets and auto locking rockets and get rid of the homing launcher. Just my opinion.

Had a dude using the Savage to grief any and all downtown one night. Went up into the construction site to get a good vantage point with my homing launcher, got a lock and fired only to have the dbag use the cheap tactic of going passive. If you're going to use the Savage to grief those on the ground just accept that you will eventually die to a rocket. Going passive is just lame in my opinion. The sticky technique is cool I suppose. It evens out really. Sure if it makes you feel better to not let them get the kill that's fine, I got you out of the sky at least.

If we can just get the homing launcher to get jets a little more consistently then it would be more balanced. My opinion? Get rid of the explosive rounds on the jets and auto locking rockets and get rid of the homing launcher. Just my opinion.

I dont use the passive mode tactic, its lame and it means u should have the menu open, and so the x button is occupied, id rather try and shoot back, the sticky is just one click away(left cursor).

I think in comparison to the buzzard, the savage looks more heavy and armored(which isnt), but it would be more realistic to destroy it completely with two missiles, and give u time to bail, like withthe hydra.

Edited by Foppezão

I dont use the passive mode tactic, its lame and it means u should have the menu open, and so the x button is occupied, id rather try and shoot back, the sticky is just one click away(left cursor).

I think in comparison to the buzzard, the savage looks more heavy and armored(which isnt), but it would be more realistic to destroy it completely with two missiles, and give u time to bail, like withthe hydra.

Yes, the irony. A Hind is done for with one missile, whilst a Chinook can survive two.

As someone who isn't in favor of using the Savage against people on the ground, helicopters are fairly easy to shoot down with the homing launcher, so I think it would make more sense to have it take 2 missiles to shoot down. I don't care about the easy kill as much as I just want the Savage out of the sky if they are killing ground targets.

You don't. Rockstar has made it clear that jets are the dominant air vehicle now, proven by the fact that homing missiles have no effect on them and that 2 million dollar helicopters can be shot down in seconds by a level 5 with a homing launcher. Your only option to avoid them is to go into passive but it requires quick action. I can usually open the interaction menu and get into passive before the rocket hits. But then again, they can just shoot the savage with a heavy sniper and disable it after 3 shots, because apparently a heavily armored helicopter has less armor than a jet which has absolutely no armor. Yeah I don't get it either.

You don't. Rockstar has made it clear that jets are the dominant air vehicle now, proven by the fact that homing missiles have no effect on them and that 2 million dollar helicopters can be shot down in seconds by a level 5 with a homing launcher. Your only option to avoid them is to go into passive but it requires quick action. I can usually open the interaction menu and get into passive before the rocket hits. But then again, they can just shoot the savage with a heavy sniper and disable it after 3 shots, because apparently a heavily armored helicopter has less armor than a jet which has absolutely no armor. Yeah I don't get it either.

A Lazer/Hydra can survive one shot if it hits the afterburner (which makes no sense), but anywhere else takes it down instantly. As long as you know the missile evasion tactics, you can't get shot down. Helicopters are another story...

Yes, i learned from this l

A Lazer/Hydra can survive one shot if it hits the afterburner (which makes no sense), but anywhere else takes it down instantly. As long as you know the missile evasion tactics, you can't get shot down. Helicopters are another story...

Yes, i learned from this rank 400 how to evade..flying in wide circles..and have never been hit.

The only real way to "avoid" being hit with a homing launcher in a chopper is to fly directly toward/over them as the rocket can't make such a sharp adjustment so quickly.

I do that all the time in the valkyrie but the savage will need a bigger head start to make the fly over and unless you've got a co-pilot making the kill it's pretty suicidal to try and take out the guy shooting a homing launcher at you while simultaneously avoiding it.

It's not foolproof though, you need to have enough altitude and speed both to guarantee a miss. Not likely to happen if you're going in for a kill as the pilot of a chopper.

The only real way to "avoid" being hit with a homing launcher in a chopper is to fly directly toward/over them as the rocket can't make such a sharp adjustment so quickly.

I do that all the time in the valkyrie but the savage will need a bigger head start to make the fly over and unless you've got a co-pilot making the kill it's pretty suicidal to try and take out the guy shooting a homing launcher at you while simultaneously avoiding it.

It's not foolproof though, you need to have enough altitude and speed both to guarantee a miss. Not likely to happen if you're going in for a kill as the pilot of a chopper.

Dude...I had a guy coming at me today full speed in his Savage. The homing rocket literally made a sharp ass u turn.

thedeephouser

This is why the Savage sucks and the Buzzard is the best helicopter in the game.

Easy to dodge the HL in the Buzzard, and easy to defeat the Savage head to head as well.

This is why the Savage sucks and the Buzzard is the best helicopter in the game.

Easy to dodge the HL in the Buzzard, and easy to defeat the Savage head to head as well.

If you position the savage right(distance from the rear or coming from above), buzzard has no chance escaping the barrage of missiles.

Yeah buzzard wins more fights head-on, savage is just more badass :)

Edited by Foppezão

thedeephouser

You're counting on the Buzzard pilot allowing you to get that position, which if he is skilled probably isn't going to happen.

Could happen though...but I'll take my chances!

You're counting on the Buzzard pilot allowing you to get that position, which if he is skilled probably isn't going to happen.

Who needs a homing launcher to take out a Buzzard? A few shots with the Heavy Sniper and it's already smoking.

here's some tactics to do it with the buzzard.

You have to be really intuitive to do it with the Savage though.

• Like 1

thedeephouser

Who needs a homing launcher to take out a Buzzard? A few shots with the Heavy Sniper and it's already smoking.

I happen to think the HL is the weakest option to take out the Buzzard, give how easy it is to dodge. The Heavy Sniper and Minigun are much more effective.

I happen to think the HL is the weakest option to take out the Buzzard, give how easy it is to dodge. The Heavy Sniper and Minigun are much more effective.

I probably have a 90% kill rate when using the homing launcher against all helis. So if it's easy to dodge, than most people must not know how to.

thedeephouser

I think you are right that most people can't. There are certain tactics that a Buzzard pilot should use. If not using those tactics, you are much more likely to get shot down.