2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Truck gear changes...

Sam-1990

Hi guys, I'm newly signed up, but been following this forum since GTA V came out.

Has anyone else noticed an issue where larger vehicles like trucks and buses get stuck in gear? I was getting killed a lot in a Benson in Series A - Weed last night because it just wouldn't shift up, it just kept red-lining. The guy in the other benson didn't seem to have this problem though and was overtaking me with ease.

Since then I've noticed it's also doing it in trash trucks and normal articulated trucks in missions like 'Going down the GOH'.

All cars are normal, like I said it only seems to be in larger vehicles 😕

Cheers.

whywontyoulisten

Noticed this with the Duneloader: it stays in first for an absolute age, and then does the same with second.

Yeah somebody on the forums has been complaining about it as well.

Same problem for me too. They get stuk at 25 mph, sometimes after driving for about a minute or 2 in a straight line they start shifting gears again and gain speed.

I've sent a ticket to Rockstar about a week ago with a video. They told me they would take a look at it.

However, only 1 of my friends has the same problem too, nobody else has (PS4).

Edited by kaasje

You're not imagining things OP, it's ruined Satellite Communications. After you kill all of the lost at the bottom of the hill, it takes a good 10-15 minutes to drive to Sandy Shores in 1st gear. The only time the semi engages into 2nd gear and beyond is when I get to the abandoned motel entering Sandy Shores.

The reason this happens is because these vehicles depended on the game mechanic know as 'double clutching', they would use this very often to accelerate and Rockstar removing it has made it so they can get stuck in neutral for almost 10 seconds, severely decreasing their driving ability, so not only did Rockstar remove the ability to drift and do 2nd gear burnouts they removed a very important game mechanic that helped many vehicles function properly, hopefully they will see what they have broken and revert it.

Edited by ZANTHERA

The reason this happens is because these vehicles depended on the game mechanic know as 'double clutching', they would use this very often to accelerate and Rockstar removing it has made it so they can get stuck in neutral for almost 10 seconds, severely decreasing their driving ability, so not only did Rockstar remove the ability to drift and do 2nd gear burnouts they removed a very important game mechanic that helped many vehicles function properly, hopefully they will see what they have broken and revert it.

Essentially this. All of the large vehicles depended on it to drive properly. The regular sized vehicles (cars, motorbikes, etc) didn't necessarily need it but it was nice to have in order to boost acceleration and/or make drifting easier.

But since double clutching is removed, all large vehicles are slower without changing the actual performance code of the large vehicles at all.

Some large vehicles are affected more than others but that depends on its dependence of double clutching (IE the phantom is barely slower while the trashmaster crawls now)

Edited by Dottie
  • Like 3

You know the old saying: "If it ain't broke, get someone who has no idea what they're doing to 'fix' it."

Arrows to Athens

Thank God LG is untouched. Hey maybe this ''Forget LG'' thing is actually doing something good for once.

• Like 2

CarnageRacing00

Heard it had something to do with a malfunctioning right trigger button on the PS4... If you're using PS4, try changing the controller scheme to put the accelerator on a different button and then see if it helps.

• Like 2

Heard it had something to do with a malfunctioning right trigger button on the PS4... If you're using PS4, try changing the controller scheme to put the accelerator on a different button and then see if it helps.

This

no, this:

CarnageRacing00

no, this:

Prove it.

It isnt a faulty button or control scheme change. R* took double clutching completely out

CarnageRacing00

It isnt a faulty button or control scheme change. R* took double clutching completely out

That shouldn't cause a truck to not accelerate, especially considering that he said the other driver had no problem.

EDIT: Just tested a Benson. Shifted fine for me. Recorded video if you aren't convinced.

Edited by CarnageRacing00

Are you playing on PS4, OP?

If you are, you might wanna check your controller, current DS4s got issues with the back triggers not workibg properly, it's an easy fix if you're willing to it yourself abd someone around here got a tutorial to do it

CarnageRacing00

Are you playing on PS4, OP?

If you are, you might wanna check your controller, current DS4s got issues with the back triggers not workibg properly, it's an easy fix if you're willing to it yourself abd someone around here got a tutorial to do it

That's what I said, but people are so wrapped up in this "clutch gate" nonsense that it's become the only explanation for things.

Friend of mine is having this problem.

We switched places and both times the truck drove just fine for me so it's not the clutch thing.

It is either a faulty controller or some other random bug with the game that only effects some people.

All cars will occasionally do the 'double clutch' on their own, even if its not manually triggered. My Dune Loader accelerated just fine before the Lowriders update and after they removed this drive feature it constantly gets stuck in neutral, sometime for 10-15 seconds and it just goes nowhere, the Phantom was also a hell of a lot faster before the update.

I had this issue but when I bought a new controller it stopped.l, well at least for me. But the trucks not shifting properly is annoying.

ok, we have 2 different opinions/theories with possible reasons which cannot be proven at the moment.

what supports the "double clutching theory" is that it appeared only after the lowrider update.

it doesn't happen always the same and not for everybody at the same moment/in the same mission because this mechanic is either not completely removed and/or not completely necessary for the driving of trucks or can somehow be compensated a bit by something else.

but it's a fact that rockstar changed a major driving mechanic in this game with the lowrider update.

this should affect all new gen platforms.

the "controller/back trigger theory" affects only ps4.

what supports this theory the most is that it only happens for some players.

all cars/vehicles (and also shooting) would be affected by this reason and not only trucks/big vehicles.

the logical next step to locate the real source of this problem is to specify on which platform this issue happens on.

if it happens also on xboxone and pc it would support the "double clutching theory".

if it appears only for some ps4 players it would rather be the controller issue.

so the question is who can confirm this issue on pc and/or xbone?

Edited by size_m

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

Thank God LG is untouched. Hey maybe this ''Forget LG'' thing is actually doing something good for once.

I was thinking the exact same thing a few minutes ago when i posted on a thread were they talk about the stores not loading on next gen...

Seriously...old gen atleast will stay consistently bad.

• Like 2

CarnageRacing00

ok, we have 2 different opinions/theories with possible reasons which cannot be proven at the moment.

what supports the "double clutching theory" is that it appeared only after the lowrider update.

it doesn't happen always the same and not for everybody at the same moment/in the same mission because this mechanic is either not completely removed and/or not completely necessary for the driving of trucks or can somehow be compensated a bit by something else.

but it's a fact that rockstar changed a major driving mechanic in this game with the lowrider update.

this should affect all new gen platforms.

the "controller/back trigger theory" affects only ps4.

what supports this theory the most is that it only happens for some players.

all cars/vehicles (and also shooting) would be affected by this reason and not only trucks/big vehicles.

the logical next step to locate the real source of this problem is to specify on which platform this issue happens on.

if it happens also on xboxone and pc it would support the "double clutching theory".

if it appears only for some ps4 players it would rather be the controller issue.

so the question is who can confirm this issue on pc and/or xbone?

It's pretty damned simple. Is OP in PS4? Yes? Have him change his controller layout so the accelerator is in a different button and see if the problem goes away. If it does, controller confirmed.

Total coincidence that it happened after the Lowrider update... Which is also likely about the same time OP decided to grind heists and just happened to drive a Benson for the first time in forever.

Is it even possible to change controls on PS4? Because I can't find it.

Also, I noticed something: I got so frustrated during the Series A setup where you have to drive a Benson, that I just pushed the R2 button as hard as possible. The truck immediately started to accelerate and change gears. Releasing R2 got it stuck at 25mph again, then pushing it again really hard it started changing gears.

CarnageRacing00

Is it even possible to change controls on PS4? Because I can't find it.

Also, I noticed something: I got so frustrated during the Series A setup where you have to drive a Benson, that I just pushed the R2 button as hard as possible. The truck immediately started to accelerate and change gears. Releasing R2 got it stuck at 25mph again, then pushing it again really hard it started changing gears.

The button is likely worn out. Apparently this is a super common issue with the DS4 controller and there are repair kits you can buy. I'm likely going to order a lot to have handy for when mine starts doing the same thing.

Yeah, I've noticed it as well on some heist setups and missions. I got killed during "Stick up the stick up crew" trying to drive that stupid truck passed 3 enemy suv's that ran into me. I soon figured out a way to make it switch gear faster is to pump the trigger 3 or 4 times, it still takes a little bit more time to get up to speed but its better than letting it switch gears on its own.

Shootinalloveryourface

I have this new problem but on all my cars.

I am PS4. Could someone kindly link me to the solution?