2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

special carbine vs regular carbine?

Vicarious Mind

Vicarious Mind

Which one do you use and why?

Are there any difference between the two and are they the best rifles to use in the game?

Also suppressor on either of them?

Special Carbine is slightly better. And yes, I use a suppressor on all guns.

Edited by Karrecod

whywontyoulisten

There's a topic somewhere with the in-game stats that show the Carbine Rifle and Special Carbine to be identical. Suppressor has no effect other than its intended one.

Edited by whywontyoulisten
  • Like 1

I use Special Carbine with no suppressor.I don´t think any assault rifle is the best (some have higher rate of fire,but are weaker,and some are more powerful,but have lower rate of fire),but Special Carbine looks the best in my opinion so I chose that one.

Edited by LeopardGecko

SkynetOnlineID

I use both guns.It does the same damage with or without suppressors. I have no suppressors because I prefer the sound.

I only put suppressors on my guns if I do a death match because I don't want to appear on the radar for firing.

I just use the regular carbine because it feels slightly faster with regard to rate-of-fire. It's just a mental thing with me. If starting a new character though, special all the way.

Based off a topic where all weapons are compared by their data values, the 'regular' carbine proved to have greater values within damage, rate of fire and accuracy, while the special carbine proved to have a slightly better range, IIRC.

JohnXina - Discord Emojispacer.pngJohnXina - Discord Emoji

No suppressors. They become useless if you are constantly becoming the power player.

Carbine is my 1st choice.

Special Carbine for placebo effect.

They wont admit it, but Rockstar nerfed the regular carbine rifle shortly after the Beach-Bum DLC. I used it exclusively back then and then went to the Combat MG and they ended up nerfing that while giving us Bullet-proof helmets on top of it.

Only recently did they buff the Combat MG back up to somewhat respectable form.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T4C3uop2KmhiDcCzVfNDkcROKmYtJVaZkh1pnYc7L_s/edit#gid=789404988

The regular Carbine and Special Carbine are identical in all but two aspects:

1: MinTimeBetweenRecoilShake - There's an additional 50ms between the recoil shakes on the SC. The Carbine can shake 10 times in a second of continuous fire, but the SC will only shake 6.6 times in the same period.

2: Animation Rate. The SC has an animation rate of 1.18 (not listed in the weapon files, so not in the link above) which causes it to fire 1.18 times as fast as a weapon with the same rate of fire.

The SC is objectively the best AR as far as Time To Kill.

• Like 3

There's a topic somewhere with the in-game stats that show the Carbine Rifle and Special Carbine to be identical. Suppressor has no effect other than its intended one.

I was under the impression that the suppressors reduced both range and damage...

The special carbine does slightly more damage per shot but has a worse range. So special carabine is better unless your targets are out his range... anyways i haven't unlocked the carbine yet, so of course i played a lot more with the special one.

Special Carbine is just a rescinded version of the Carbine just with shorter distance. Leave supressors off bc you'll get kills faster and does more damage.

Edited by TCA

Vicarious Mind

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T4C3uop2KmhiDcCzVfNDkcROKmYtJVaZkh1pnYc7L_s/edit#gid=789404988

1: MinTimeBetweenRecoilShake - There's an additional 50ms between the recoil shakes on the SC. The Carbine can shake 10 times in a second of continuous fire, but the SC will only shake 6.6 times in the same period.

2: Animation Rate. The SC has an animation rate of 1.18 (not listed in the weapon files, so not in the link above) which causes it to fire 1.18 times as fast as a weapon with the same rate of fire.

What does recoil shake mean? Does that mean the carbine has less recoil and is better suited for head shots and longer ranges?

I tested all the assualt rifles and combat mgs accurracy, (a few days ago) I unloaded a full clip of each into a wall, standing at the same distance from it. The special carbine had the tightest spread.

Edited by WasHanin
  • Like 1

Vicarious Mind

I tested all the assualt rifles and combat mgs accurracy, (a few days ago) I unloaded a full clip of each into a wall, standing at the same distance from it. The special carbine had the tightest spread.

How so? Did you test with both suppressor and without? What console you on?

I use the regular carbine in freemode with no supressor. The advanced rifle with Supressor for Deathmatches tho I do use the Advanced in freemode as well.

The Special I find to be pretty ugly/big and clunky.

I like to use the Assault Rifle in missions or against NPC's in general. Bullpup serves the same function but not as often.

AceThaCreator

Special Carbine for sure, it feels it has more of a kick to it then the standard carbine rifle.

GhostlySentinel

I have a Sawn Off Shotgun, Pistol and Machine Pistol.

It's kinda cool to step back from all the heavyweight stuff and see how good you really are with some legit street gear.

How so? Did you test with both suppressor and without? What console you on?My special carbine had a supressor, but nothing else did. Correct me if im wrong but supressors dont affect accuracy.

Xbox one

Edited by WasHanin
  • Like 1

Vicarious Mind

Does lower Minimumrecoilshake mean the gun has less recoil? If so that would mean the MGs would have less recoil than the carbines?

I cycle between the Carbine (AR15) and Special Carbine (G36) depending on the activity.
I usually keep one with a suppressor; comes in handy when you need to perform a stealth kill or keep yourself off the radar temporarily.

For medium to long distances, I prefer the Combat MG for its clip size. Its accuracy is not the best when dealing with burst shots, but with enough practice you can get a headshot within the first 2-3 rounds fired.

But in terms of accuracy and damage, the Carbine an Special Carbine (in fact any of the Assault rifles) are much more effective.

I find it interesting that the H&K G36 is now being phased out by the German Military due to overheating issues, but there's no definitive conclusion as to the overheating problem. There is blame on the rifle design itself, prolonged usage, and problems with ammunition.

I'm glad both rifles got the Luxury Finish/Skin treatment; gives them a bit of character.

I was under the impression that the suppressors reduced both range and damage...

I believe that funmw2 has confirmed that the only weapon affected by a suppressor is the Marksman Rifle, and that only changes the network player damage modifer. (bonus damage to other players compared to NPCs)

Here's the post. He's unsure about exactly what value is modified, but the network player damage modifier seems like a good guess. All weapons have a value of 1.00, except for the Heavy Sniper (for which there is no suppressor) and the Marksman Rifle, so those would be the only ones affected, if indeed they are. If this is correct, then a suppressed Marksman Rifle will do 65 damage to another player, and a non-suppressed one will do 90.35 (probably rounded to 90) damage to a player. Suppressed it should take 5 shots to the body to kill an un-armoured player with max HP, and without a suppressor it should be 4 shots.

The special carbine does slightly more damage per shot but has a worse range. So special carabine is better unless your targets are out his range... anyways i haven't unlocked the carbine yet, so of course i played a lot more with the special one.

Special Carbine is just a rescinded version of the Carbine just with shorter distance. Leave supressors off bc you'll get kills faster and does more damage.

There is no difference in range, all Assault Rifles have a minimum damage fall off range of 47.5m, and they all have the same fall off damage multiplier of 0.3. (they do 0.3 their normal damage at 120 meters, their maximum range)

What does recoil shake mean? Does that mean the carbine has less recoil and is better suited for head shots and longer ranges?

Recoil shake is when the gun kicks in your hands, and throws off your aim, causing consecutive shots to become less accurate. They both have the same amount of recoil per shake, x0.333, but the Special Carbine shakes less often than the regular Carbine, so the Special Carbine is more accurate during sustained full-auto fire. (150ms vs 100ms)

It's kinda cool to step back from all the heavyweight stuff and see how good you really are with some legit street gear.

Not really within the remit of this topic, but yeah. I'd rather have nothing but the worst weapons in the game than face more RPG/sticky spammers.

Does lower Minimumrecoilshake mean the gun has less recoil? If so that would mean the MGs would have less recoil than the carbines?

It's the time between recoil shakes, so a higher value is better.

• Like 1

Vicarious Mind

I believe that funmw2 has confirmed that the only weapon affected by a suppressor is the Marksman Rifle, and that only changes the network player damage modifer. (bonus damage to other players compared to NPCs)

Here's the post. He's unsure about exactly what value is modified, but the network player damage modifier seems like a good guess. All weapons have a value of 1.00, except for the Heavy Sniper (for which there is no suppressor) and the Marksman Rifle, so those would be the only ones affected, if indeed they are. If this is correct, then a suppressed Marksman Rifle will do 65 damage to another player, and a non-suppressed one will do 90.35 (probably rounded to 90) damage to a player. Suppressed it should take 5 shots to the body to kill an un-armoured player with max HP, and without a suppressor it should be 4 shots.

There is no difference in range, all Assault Rifles have a minimum damage fall off range of 47.5m, and they all have the same fall off damage multiplier of 0.3. (they do 0.3 their normal damage at 120 meters, their maximum range)

What does recoil shake mean? Does that mean the carbine has less recoil and is better suited for head shots and longer ranges?Recoil shake is when the gun kicks in your hands, and throws off your aim, causing consecutive shots to become less accurate. They both have the same amount of recoil per shake, x0.333, but the Special Carbine shakes less often than the regular Carbine, so the Special Carbine is more accurate during sustained full-auto fire. (150ms vs 100ms)

Not really within the remit of this topic, but yeah. I'd rather have nothing but the worst weapons in the game than face more RPG/sticky spammers.

It's the time between recoil shakes, so a higher value is better.

Thank you for the clarification in your post.

One more quick question, what about the ap pistol changes and does it have more recoil now post patch? Also is the machine pistol better for drive bys? It seems as if the weapons are much less accurate while being fired while driving a vehicle.

One more quick question, what about the ap pistol changes and does it have more recoil now post patch? Also is the machine pistol better for drive bys? It seems as if the weapons are much less accurate while being fired while driving a vehicle.

The AP pistol got a damage nerf, and the accuracy spread value was increased, which, if I understand correctly, means that shots fired in full auto will not cluster as closely together as they did.

The Machine pistol seems to have a tighter spread than the AP pistol, I'm not sure about damage. One thing that ruins it is the small magazine size; it's only 20 rounds in the extended mag IIRC. For drive-bys this isn't so bad, since you ideally want to unload and then disengage.

I thought they were so similar that it really just came down to a matter of preference. Looks, sound etc.

I do however, use the Regular Carbine with all attachments for deathmatches because I have a more stealthy M.O.

Unsurpressed Special Carbine for free roam.