2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Processed meats are now classed as carcinogenic

Aqua97

According to the word health organization.

Processed meats - such as bacon, sausages and ham - do cause cancer, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

Its report said 50g of processed meat a day - less than two slices of bacon - increased the chance of developing colorectal cancer by 18%.

Meanwhile, it said red meats were "probably carcinogenic" but there was limited evidence.

The WHO did stress that meat also had health benefits.

Cancer Research UK said this was a reason to cut down rather than give up red and processed meats.

And added that an occasional bacon sandwich would do little harm.

Processed meat is meat that has been modified to increase its shelf-life or alter its taste, such as by smoking, curing or adding salt or preservatives.

It is these additions which could be increasing the risk of cancer. High temperature cooking, such as on a barbeque, can also create carcinogenic chemicals.

The WHO has come to the conclusion on the advice of its International Agency for Research on Cancer, which assesses the best available scientific evidence.

It has now placed processed meat in the same category as plutonium, but also alcohol as they definitely do cause cancer.

However, this does not mean they are equally dangerous. A bacon sandwich is not as bad as smoking.

"For an individual, the risk of developing colorectal (bowel) cancer because of their consumption of processed meat remains small, but this risk increases with the amount of meat consumed," Dr Kurt Straif from the WHO said.

Image copyright

Estimates suggest 34,000 deaths from cancer every year could be down to diets high in processed meat.

That is in contrast to one million deaths from cancer caused by smoking and 600,000 attributed to alcohol each year.

Red meat does have nutritional value too and is a major source of iron, zinc and vitamin B12.

However, the WHO said there was limited evidence that 100g of red meat a day increased the risk of cancer by 17%.

An eight ounce steak is 225g.

The WHO said its findings were important for helping countries give balanced dietary advice.

Prof Tim Key, from the Cancer Research UK and the University of Oxford, said: "This decision doesn't mean you need to stop eating any red and processed meat, but if you eat lots of it you may want to think about cutting down.

"Eating a bacon bap every once in a while isn't going to do much harm - having a healthy diet is all about moderation."

Dr Teresa Norat, one of the advisors to the WHO report and from Imperial College London, said there were many factors causing bowel cancer.

She told BBC News website: "People should limit consumption of red meat and avoid consuming processed meat, but they should also have a diet rich in fibre, from fruit and vegetables and maintain an adequate body weight throughout life and limit the consumption of alcohol and be physically active."

The industry body the Meat Advisory Panel said "avoiding red meat in the diet is not a protective strategy against cancer" and said the focus should be alcohol, smoking and body weight.

So what are your thoughts on this ? Do you take studies and advice like this seriously ? Or do you think that it's just a load of garbage ?

Article from Here>>

Edited by Aqua97

What doesn't these days?

I get their arguments but how many generations have passed before us without there being a mass pandemic of cancer due to chemicals added to processed foods? I stopped taking these things seriously a long time ago.

Edited by Andreaz1

The Dedito Gae

I'm still eating meat ffs, doesn't matter how much cancer there's in.

image.png

Edited by Midnight Hitman

Does this mean when I'm scoffing a bacon sarnie that I have to do it outside so I don't poison people with my 2nd hand eating?

Wastelander (Suzuki)

What doesn't these days?I get their arguments but how many generations have passed before us without there being a mass pandemic of cancer due to chemicals added to processed foods? I stopped taking these things seriously a long time ago.

Like with Eggs, 1950s-1960s eggs were good for you, 1970s-2008 eggs were bad for you, and now their good for you again. I stopped caring about what people(U.S government for the most part) say is good for you and bad for due to the fact they can't make up their damn minds... That and I live in the south, we deep-fry everything, and we smoke most of our meats anyways.

What doesn't cause cancer these days? I'd be more worried about the air we breath.

• Like 2

Well I'm not taking in too seriously, but I still keep my weight down, exercise, don't smoke/drink and have a healthy balanced diet. :^:

Although I'm the kind of person that attempts to prevent cancer of any sort, by that avoid smoking, inhaling other harming particles, stay off radioactive sources, not consuming 'synthetic' foods and vegetables/fruits treated with pesticides, yada yada, this entire 'carcinogenic classification' these meats has been put into ain't something that scares me away. I'll keep eating them.

No, the only thing that I truly take seriously, is how some processed foods has been known to increase levels of estrogen in men, leaving them with lower amounts of testosterone.

JohnXina - Discord Emojispacer.pngJohnXina - Discord Emoji

Testosterone pretty much replenishes, so to speak. Estrogens and androgens are found in much larger amounts in various other foods.

Edited by Mr.Scratch

The Dedito Gae

No, the only thing that I truly take seriously, is how some processed foods has been known to increase levels of estrogen in men, leaving them with lower amounts of testosterone.

Man, so i'm gonna end like a little girl with cancer for eating meat?

This blows.

• Like 2

hi bros i work in the meat industry

i just talked to my boss we're gonna stop adding the cancer :)

L71cGcK.png

Seriously though this will impact demand so much that I will quickly become redundant.

RIP job.

L71cGcK.png

Seriously though this will impact demand so much that I will quickly become redundant.

RIP job.

okay-then.gif

I bet the Vegan community are going to come out with all the "I told you meat was bad" Except most of them are hypocritical

This is mostly going to be like the Gluten Free craze everybody will believe in it but will eventually forget about it

Red meat is bad, consumed in large amounts. Those motherf*ckers would try to save any tiny ass fish from getting canned.

Well if I remember rightly I was told that in the 90s eating eggs was bad for you but now it's good for you. They can't make their minds up!

-snip the stupidly long propaganda list- :)

Edited by Aqua97

Because bacon.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/10/06/worlds-oldest-woman-116-eats-bacon-everyday/73444660/

World's oldest woman, 116, eats bacon daily

Not many people will say that eating bacon every day is the key to a long life, but the worlds oldest woman swears by it.

Susannah Mushatt Jones, 116, keeps a steady diet of bacon, eggs and grits for breakfast. A sign in her kitchen reads: Bacon makes everything better.

Named the worlds oldest woman by Guinness World Records in July, Jones credits her longevity to "lots of sleep," Guinness said. But her family members say she has lived a long life due to her love of family and generosity to others.

Testosterone pretty much replenishes, so to speak. Estrogens and androgens are found in much larger amounts in various other foods.

You seem to know a lot about estrogen and testosterone and androgens, say, you're not having a sex change are you?

I would fully welcome your transition to a man if you were.

• Like 1

"Jumpin chorizos Batman, this topic is making me hungry!

Quick Robin, to the Texas Steakhouse!"

Not really, you might want to get your testosterone levels under control, Stu. It's not doing your pattern baldness any favors.

Is Batman a gender? If so then Batman.

• Like 3

Not A Nice Person

Because bacon.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/10/06/worlds-oldest-woman-116-eats-bacon-everyday/73444660/

World's oldest woman, 116, eats bacon daily

Not many people will say that eating bacon every day is the key to a long life, but the worlds oldest woman swears by it.

Susannah Mushatt Jones, 116, keeps a steady diet of bacon, eggs and grits for breakfast. A sign in her kitchen reads: Bacon makes everything better.

Named the worlds oldest woman by Guinness World Records in July, Jones credits her longevity to "lots of sleep," Guinness said. But her family members say she has lived a long life due to her love of family and generosity to others.

Woo hoo! I love me some f*cking bacon! :colgate:

Made me laugh reading the news today. "Processed red meats are now in the same category as plutonium and cigarettes when it comes to danger to health, but don't worry, this doesn't mean eating a bacon sandwich is as bad as smoking." Like, of course if something is full of preservatives and salt and sh*t it's going to be bad for you if you eat it all the time. It's the same for any type of foodstuff. I thought healthy eating and moderation was just common sense?

fib_ufo_small.png

Not A Nice Person

Made me laugh reading the news today. "Processed red meats are now in the same category as plutonium and cigarettes when it comes to danger to health, but don't worry, this doesn't mean eating a bacon sandwich is as bad as smoking." Like, of course if something is full of preservatives and salt and sh*t it's going to be bad for you if you eat it all the time. It's the same for any type of foodstuff. I thought healthy eating and moderation was just common sense?

Sadly some people think exercise = good health.