2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Cooking/Baking

GreenOnions

I was just wondering if anyone else here did any cooking/baking in their work and/or spare time, and if so, what sort of things do you like to make?

I'm more of a baker than a cook, though I do enjoy both. The closest thing I have to a "signature" item would probably be my pie tart pastries. Basically, I just throw together a regular "short-flake" pie crust recipe, roll it out, and cut ~3 inch circles of the dough. Then you just take different fillings (fruits, nuts, chocolate, etc) and put a spoonful in the middle of one circle. Take a second circle and place it on top of the filling, crimp, trim, vent, and you're all set! They freeze pretty well, so I like to make a bunch at a time so I can pull them whenever. (They only take about 25-30 minutes to bake off from the freezer).

After the pastries, my second favorite thing to make is probably marinara sauce. That's another really versatile recipe that makes a lot in one batch and freezes well. I guess I just tend to look for good "basic" recipes that I can play around with and try out different variations.

I have two daughters so i make dinner every night for em, They're picky with what we eat so i usually make chicken, beef or pork and then veggies and sort but when i'm not bound by their pickyness i like to experiment with recipes i see on TV and shared on Facebook.

Thanks to my grandma who taught me how to cook I can cook just about anything my favorite things to cook is Pot Roast in the slow cooker which really doesn't take any effort also like Lemon Pepper Chicken & Fish also Italian Chicken sometimes with just Italian dressing and other times chicken parm.

But i still need to perfect making sauces though, I did make homemade beef & veggie soup the other day and it turned out great.

• Like 2

I like making things for my lover and I to eat on the weekends, and my lover's vegan, so I've had to make some interesting stuff. My favorite are quick-frozen coconut macaroons and chickpea cookie dough dip. Dinner-wise, I absolutely three-bean veggie chili and curried quinoa.

Edited by AtchooMatchew

hehehe, we already got a topic for baki

marijuana-smoking-131013.jpg?1403625412

Gotta admit that kind of baking is good as well. It also helps with trying out new recipes

• Like 3

I want to get into cooking (mainly out of fear that the woman I end up with doesn't know how to cook), but I'm probably not going to get into it anyways. When I'm at the house by myself I usually just graze on healthy snacks throughout the day and never even touch the stove. I reckon it'll probably be like that when I'm older as well.

But if I ever do get into cooking I want to know how to make Calzone, clafoutis , general tso's chicken , beer battered stuff, and rum cake.

Edited by Majesticnug420

I want to get into cooking (mainly out of fear that the woman I end up with doesn't know how to cook), but I'm probably not going to get into it anyways. When I'm at the house by myself I usually just graze on healthy snacks throughout the day and never even touch the stove. I reckon it'll probably be like that when I'm older as well.

But if I ever do get into cooking I want to know how to make Calzone, clafoutis , general tso's chicken , beer battered stuff, and rum cake.

Just start out with the bascially frozen pizza's and chicken strips and stuff and go from there, That's how i learned to cook first thing i learned how to cook was Bacon & Grilled Cheese those two items are basically idiot proof unless you don't pay attention

AboveAndBeyoncé

I can make a very delicious dish of macaroni and cheese lol apparently it's some recipe that has been passed down through the generations of my family

I like baking things like cookies, brownies, etc. My family has this awesome secret recipe (no, it doesn't include weed.) and they're probably the best I've had. As for cooking, I never really made anything, besides "grilled" cheese in a pan :p

• Like 1

VWSTp.png

I do like cooking, but I prefer using fry pan for things. That's why foods like burger, fries, steaks, fried chicken, fried rice, etc. is pretty much the most common food that I usually cook. Beside those, I like to cook pasta and experimenting with sauces. If I'm too lazy to cook, I'm just toss some instant noodle into the pot, make some condiments from anything in the fridge, and call it a day.

One of the best dish I created was arancini. It's basically a deep fried rice balls with cheese and meat inside served with a bolognese sauce. I do enjoy making them, but it's time consuming and left me with a huge mess, so I rarely cook them.

As for baking, I've tried made a sponge cake and cookies once, and it was good. But I'm not a dessert cook, so I usually left my sister make that.

Edited by unbid

unknown.png

Not A Nice Person

My grandmother teaches my siblings and me how to cook. She has a recipe for spinach and mac and cheese that was passed down from generations and the best I've tasted, she only tells immediate family the recipe. As for baking I can do simple things (mug cakes, cookies, cupcakes) but the harder things like (cheesecake, macarons, souffle) way too time consuming, I rarely bake either way since it's extremely unhealthy, If you want a sugary treat just eat a fruit.

• Like 1

Occasionally, I'm a "baker" at work. Nothing like baking while baked. :alien:

7Rj3AZw.png

AboveAndBeyoncé

My grandmother teaches my siblings and me how to cook. She has a recipe for spinach and mac and cheese that was passed down from generations and the best I've tasted, she only tells immediate family the recipe. As for baking I can do simple things (mug cakes, cookies, cupcakes) but the harder things like (cheesecake, macarons, souffle) way too time consuming, I rarely bake either way since it's extremely unhealthy, If you want a sugary treat just eat a fruit.

Come to think of it I take a cooking class at school, we cook every week (with the exception of last week) and I've learned how to bake biscuits, cookies, cupcakes, pretzels, we even made breakfast pizza which tasted surprisingly good... I learned all these cooking terms and names of cooking utensils like pastry blender, slotted spoon, folding utensil, etc. it's been fun I can't wait to see what we cook this week

Doughnut muffins are one of my regularly baked things, using either raspberry or strawberry jam & rolling the finished muffins in caster sugar when finished. Otherwise, it's Tiramisu - using Tia Maria instead of Marsala wine. It works well :colgate:. Although technically Tiramisu isn't a baked or cooked product.....

Not A Nice Person

Come to think of it I take a cooking class at school, we cook every week (with the exception of last week) and I've learned how to bake biscuits, cookies, cupcakes, pretzels, we even made breakfast pizza which tasted surprisingly good... I learned all these cooking terms and names of cooking utensils like pastry blender, slotted spoon, folding utensil, etc. it's been fun I can't wait to see what we cook this week

I had it in 6th grade, but it teached you nutrition... :bored: :sui: My middle school's budget was $21.

Edited by Sayuri

i went to culinary school so cooking is something I like to do. my favorite dish would have to be a dish I call flaming chicken it's basically chicken with 151 rum poured over it

AboveAndBeyoncé

I had it in 6th grade, but it teached you nutrition... :bored: :sui: My middle school's budget was $21. Yeah apparently ours is nutrition class but we get to eat sugary doughs like cookies and stuff lol

El Tigre chino

I did a class in high school to you it was improv cooking cooking on the spot with what whatever you had in the kitchen it was hard at first

Not A Nice Person

I had it in 6th grade, but it teached you nutrition... :bored: :sui: My middle school's budget was $21.
Yeah apparently ours is nutrition class but we get to eat sugary doughs like cookies and stuff lol

Well how ironic lol, Does it teach you nutrition?

AboveAndBeyoncé

Yeah apparently ours is nutrition class but we get to eat sugary doughs like cookies and stuff lol

Well how ironic lol, Does it teach you nutrition?

Nope we only learned kitchen safety, kitchen utensils, and kitchen terms no nutrition yet

hehehe, we already got a topic for baking

Yeah, but that one is toast.

Last nite I cooked some turkey with macaroni n cheese

i went to culinary school so cooking is something I like to do. my favorite dish would have to be a dish I call flaming chicken it's basically chicken with 151 rum poured over it

Or as my dad would call it....Drunk chicken

Or as my dad would call it....Drunk chickenThat'll make an excellent dish for a AA meeting. ;)
  • Like 1