2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Rockstar's Development history. Past, Present and Future

Hvitdverg

I'll go first, with my thoughts on the subject.

Let begin to take a look at Rockstar North's development history, and previously released titles.

Grand Theft Auto III 2001 PC, Xbox With Rockstar Vienna for the Xbox Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 2002 PS2, PC, Xbox Manhunt 2003 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas 2004 Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories 2005 PSP, PS2 With Rockstar Leeds Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories 2006 Manhunt 2 2007 PS2, PSP, PC, Wii Oversaw the development Grand Theft Auto IV 2008 PS3, PC, X360 With Rockstar Toronto for the PC Grand Theft Auto: The Lost and Damned 2009 Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars PSP, DS, iOS With Rockstar Leeds Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony PS3, PC, X360 Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City 2010 With Rockstar Toronto for the PC Red Dead Redemption PS3, X360 With Rockstar San Diego Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare L.A. Noire 2011 PS3, PC, X360 With Team Bondi Max Payne 3 2012 With Rockstar Studios Grand Theft Auto V 2013[31] PS3, X360 With Rockstar Studios 2014[32]PS4, XONE 2015[32] PC Agent TBA PS3

Growing up I remember GTA games coming out quite often, a new GTA game was never long off and each release kept me busy until the next one. Today on the other hand, development takes a lot longer than what I was used to growing up. Back then developing a game was a much "easier" task. Graphics did not require huge amount of effort(compared to today), and the attention to detail was not nearly as important as it is today. Sure, getting the tone of the game, setting the theme and creating a fun game was important, but today's "requirements" in terms of graphics, attention to detail, animations, motion-cap, voice acting, you name it. Everything needs to be perfect in every single way. Therefor increasing development time (cost) in order to get things the way they want before releasing a product

Rockstar is known for it's attention to detail, and there is no way they will release a game if they feel it does not meets and even exceeds everyones expectations.
So, where am I going with this? Well, I'll tell you.

I've spent way to much time playing GTA V for the past two years, and as much as I enjoy the game, at this point I'm in deep need of a new world to explore. GTA V has it's pros and cons, and I must say I don't find all aspects of the game to be superb, but it's an overall super fun game, judging by the amount of time I've put into it.

With Grand Theft Auto V, Rockstar North created the best selling game of all time, and GTA Online is a constant money making machine for Rockstar at this point.

Rockstar is PRINTING money by selling shark cards in GTA Online. Plus the overall success GTA V has had in terms of copies sold(still selling) and "FREE" money earned by microtransactions(Shark Cards), must have assured a significant boost in GTA VI's upcoming budget, compared to the approxi 300 MILLION DOLLAR budget GTA V had (not counting new-gen PS4/XB1 and PC development costs).

superdata-research-digital-console-brief

Keep it up, I'm getting closer to my point!

So it's been a little over two years since GTA V originally released on old-gen, and fans like yourselves must be as eagerly awaiting GTA's next installment. I know I am... But I don't feel we can use Rockstars development history as a pointer towards what they'll do next, because times are changing so fast, and demand has changed.

Rockstar has several development studies as you surely are aware of, and at some point in the "near" future. They will announce a new project they've been working on. In my opinion, this is the most reasonable and realistic release order.

1:Red Dead : Three (Q3 2016)
2:Grand Theft Auto VI (2017)
3:Agent ( Third on my list, HALF LIFE THREE CONFIRMED, and Agent is delayed until forever).

I know there are a lot of people saying no way GTA VI will be released any time soon, and yes I can agree given the fact that Rockstar does take it's time with this franchise at least based of the newer releases in the series.
BUT with the success of GTA V, and GTA Online I just feel Rockstar North and Take-Two sees a sequel to be the best option to focus on, given the amount of MONEY they will make on a new release.

I have no doubt in my mind that Grand Theft Auto VI(ce City) will be the ambitious game ever created. I could easily see a budget of 0.5-1.0 BILLION DOLLARS. Rockstar North as a studio hiring like mad men, increasing the amount of game developers in order to match the scale of what will be the biggest project in video game history.

"No, that's not going to happen, they are to busy working on DLC for GTA Online, and they have had all their men working on porting GTA V for PS4/XB1 and PC until recently)

Look at other developers in the industry, it's normal practice to work on a newly released project supporting it with DLC for at least one year. Sometimes even more.

Studios like Activision Blizzard, Ubisoft, and EA to name a few. Yes they have a lot more developers working for them than Rockstar has, but they still manage to create DLC's for their newly released project, and at the same time start working on their next project. Compartmentalizing development, and maximizing profits.

I am a firm believer that Rockstar does the exact same thing, and put most of it's developers at working on their next project, and letting a small team stay behind supporting the old product. Lets face it, the free DLC (including heists, small updates and cars(weapons etc) released for V are not development projects that has required a lot of manpower. Most updates has included a few car models and other small updates, that I know for a fact does not cost a lot of time or money to create.

Rockstar San Diego has hopefully been working on Red Dead for a few good years at this point, and I see them pulling a Bethesda(Fallout 4) announcement sometime next year, with a release 6 months down the line.

Rockstar North has previously stated that GTA Online is their future focus, and that they want to build a huge world that includes all content released from GTA V going forward. Which means GTA VI will hopefully give players the option to travel between all future maps, visiting whatever map we want.

GTA VI will be a product to blow our minds. And it will be a product created in such a way, that they can harvest our money for years to come. Microtransactions will be implemented in such a way, that it will not offend the hardcore fanbase. We will not be denied core mechanics, or locked out of content. But microtransactions will make it easier to aquire things that takes a lot of grind to aquire(like in GTA V, just more balanced next time)

This is a bold speculation, but I have a feeling Rockstar North will not create a single player campaign in the way that we are used to. GTA Online will have it's own story, where you can actually complete the story with your friends, and updates will continue to expand the story over time, much like in World Of Warcraft or other MMO's.

Build an empire with your crew, territorial control, gang-wars, drugs in sunny Florida. A modernized Vice City, heavily inspired by the 80's mixed with 2017's culture. A perfect mix between high tech modern day, mixed with the good 80's vibes we all love and want.

Ok, that's it folks. My imagination is vivid, and speculations somewhat out there.

What do you think of Rockstar is planning, and what do you predict will happen to our most loved franchise.

-Hvitdverg

Edited by Hvitdverg

Seeing that i really wonder what happened with Agent back in the days.

It was suppose to release for PS3 but, almost looked like they forgot about it without a statement.

However, i would enjoy a new installment for the next release, not titled Grand Theft Auto.

Max Payne 3 was amazing, Red Dead Redemption too. R* did very well.

They said their full focus is on Online for now, so don't expect anything new in the near future.

Seeing that i really wonder what happened with Agent back in the days.

It was suppose to release for PS3 but, almost looked like they forgot about it without a statement.

However, i would enjoy a new installment for the next release, not titled Grand Theft Auto.

Max Payne 3 was amazing, Red Dead Redemption too. R* did very well.

They said their full focus is on Online for now, so don't expect anything new in the near future.

Yes, they said their focus is on GTA Online. But GTA Online is going to be a huge part of the future of this franchise. The next installment will most likely focus heavily on expanding the Online experience, a new map is very much important to keep players active and entertained. They need to expand their landscape and give the players something new to explore, new cars will not keep the community entertained for ages, and will certainly not make Rockstar billions of dollars going forward.

Max Payne was good, but I'd rather have then focus on making GTA VI the best possible game, taking with them everything they've learned from RDR, Max Payne, Midnight Club and GTA. Combine all the best features, and create a game that meets all our dreams, and keeps us satisfied for years.

Idea: They could implement power-ups in GTA Online(GTA VI) that grants players the ability to move and use slow motion like in Max Payne?

Edited by Hvitdverg

"But GTA Online is going to be a huge part of the future of this franchise"

facebook_picture_commenting_throw_comput

Haha, I catch your drift. And yes, I'd rather have a deep immersive single player campaign, but I have a feeling they are going to dive into new and uncharted territories. They could pull off a immersive and deep story-mode inside GTA O.

Officer Garza

Yep, online will ruin GTA now for me. I'm sick of this micro transactions bullcrap!

• Like 2

Haha, I catch your drift. And yes, I'd rather have a deep immersive single player campaign, but I have a feeling they are going to dive into new and uncharted territories. They could pull off a immersive and deep story-mode inside GTA O.

They could also put back the SP mode.

Yes, I'd rather have a SP campaign. I'm just speculating :)

Rockstar did implement three characters in GTA V, and I see them trying something groundbreaking in GTA VI.

For the love of god, whatever they do, please don't do three main characters again.

Honestly I think the next GTA will integrate the SP mode into Online, ultimately that is something that never before anyone did(at least not on this scale) in open world game design, but I am sure R* as innovative as they are, are going to go down some similar route, GTA VI is probably off expanding Online while STILL beeing able to play the Story solo, with the power of Next Gen this should be possible without any compromises now.I just hope they eventually Update to dedicated Servers( come on R* you can do it!).

• Like 2

Honestly I think the next GTA will integrate the SP mode into Online, ultimately that is something that never before anyone did(at least not on this scale) in open world game design, but I am sure R* as innovative as they are, are going to go down some similar route, GTA VI is probably off expanding Online while STILL beeing able to play the Story solo, with the power of Next Gen this should be possible without any compromises now.I just hope they eventually Update to dedicated Servers( come on R* you can do it!).

That's what I'm thinking too!

I am really looking forward to an updated character model(better graphics and animations) for better immersion. Plus fully customizable cars like in the new NFS.

I think you misunderstand something here, when R* said all focus is at Online, they meant GTA V: Online.

For me that means, as long as Online is dropping decent amounts of money and keeps up with the number of logins they won't start working on a new installment.

Well, maybe they will start working on it, but all focus at Online means the progress will only be slow.

Implementing the future games single player into online sounds interesting, but honestly, i don't want it.

I think you misunderstand something here, when R* said all focus is at Online, they meant GTA V: Online.

For me that means, as long as Online is dropping decent amounts of money and keeps up with the number of logins they won't start working on a new installment.

Well, maybe they will start working on it, but all focus at Online means the progress will only be slow.

Implementing the future games single player into online sounds interesting, but honestly, i don't want it.

Not to offend you, but do you honestly believe the entire team at North is working on GTA V: Online?

GTA Online is supposed to be a big part of GTA's future, and they were talking about future plans for GTA Online and how they wanted to expand on it, over two years ago.

They will focus on GTA V's Online component for a while more, but I can tell you this much. It would never take a full team of developers 1-2 MONTHS to create a few new car(SKINS), clothing skins, and weapon skins. I'd say a group of 10-30 people working on these small updates is all it takes.

There are about 360+ people working at Rockstar North, If they were all working on GTA V: Online, you'd see A LOT more updates and features.

http://www.develop-online.net/studio-profile/inside-rockstar-north-part-2-the-studio/0184061

300 devs, programmers and artists should be heavily at work working on North's next game, while the little team takes care of the useless cosmetic updates for GTA V: Online

Edited by Hvitdverg

GTAF: This thread sponsored by the Xerox corporation.

Not the OP, the comments. Always instantly lapses into the same pattern. OP's written a very interesting piece here, shame it's going to end up with the usual arguments turning it sour.

Anyways. I'm really surprised by the sales figures on the shirk cirds. The way everyone talks about them around here, I'd have thought they'd be making ten times what the graph shows.

Signatures are dumb anyway.

GTAF: This thread sponsored by the Xerox corporation.

Not the OP, the comments. Always instantly lapses into the same pattern. OP's written a very interesting piece here, shame it's going to end up with the usual arguments turning it sour.

Anyways. I'm really surprised by the sales figures on the shirk cirds. The way everyone talks about them around here, I'd have thought they'd be making ten times what the graph shows.

Thanks for the comment Fuzzknuckles. I would really like to hear people's predictions and speculations about GTA VI. What's your take on Rockstar Studios going forward? Any ideas/predictions for North in particular?

El Tigre chino

they don't force you to buy "shark cards" y'all are just salty for not being able to afford it Else you would have a problem with the company's business strategy

they don't force you to buy "shark cards" y'all are just salty for not being able to afford it Else you would have a problem with the company's business strategy

The only problem I have with shark cards, is that all the hard work and effort I put into grinding and earning money in GTA Online, is easily attained by noobs who pays to win.

I've completed Criminal Mastermind, and always had the newest cars and tricks, personally I think Rockstar should implement a bragging system, to differenciate the dedicated players vs the pay to win players.

There is nothing wrong with pay to win, but you can't put pride into your car collection when everyone can aquire everything by paying for it.

Official General

And you are more than ever the fool to actually fritter away your hard-earned pennies and wasted on bullsh*t like in-game currency when you have already paid for the game in the first place, not mention paying your console brand for yearly online gaming subscriptions. But hey, you're the one with the stacks of paper, we 'salty ones' don't have the luxury of freely wasting our money like you do.

Just sad that gamers like only serve to further encourage such greedy practices from Rockstar.

Edited by Official General

Legomanarthur

Well, from my point of view, Online will be a big part of GTA in future installment

If I'm not mistaken, multiplayer was planned since GTA I, though it was pushed forward in IV (or LCS/VCS, I don't know I never played their multiplayer so I can't tell), but the multiplayer was included as a feature to the original, SP focused game, and honestly it wasn't that bad because it was just a game mode that wasn't interfering with the singleplayer experience.

Now with V, we can clearly see that Online was Rockstar's main priority (or at least 60-70% of the development, that's my opinion BTW). As most game of today are focused on their multiplayer, I can understand why R* did the same with V, the company lives up with its time and it was the right move as they got most of their money with shark cards and heists which were really anticipated. Plus the release of the new gen and PC version, I can definitely see them sleeping on their own cash but anyway...

I don't like how R* is handling the series right now, for me, neglecting the singleplayer for Online is wrong because that's not what GTA is about but that's another story. Now as I said above, I can see Online getting more and more important throughout the years, it's the reason why V did so well so I can't see R* private themselves from having the biggest part of their income. And as you said, maybe R* will decide to completely revamp the GTA experience by making it focused only on multiplayer, playing the campaign (if there's any) with your friends/crew and whatnot, that's pure speculation, but as R* love to revolutionize their game experience with each new title, it's still a possibility... Now we may be wrong, maybe multiplayer games will go downhill in the next 2 years, with R* going back to their roots, but that's very unlikely (though it would be cool). Or maybe that's not even what R* have in mind for their next installment, maybe they just wanted to experiment a more developed multiplayer only for GTA V, but that's also unlikely. I guess we'll have a definitive answer with GTA VI, but I think that multiplayer taking over singleplayer in the future is inevitable, only time will tell.

Not to offend you, but do you honestly believe the entire team at North is working on GTA V: Online?

GTA Online is supposed to be a big part of GTA's future, and they were talking about future plans for GTA Online and how they wanted to expand on it, over two years ago.

They will focus on GTA V's Online component for a while more, but I can tell you this much. It would never take a full team of developers 1-2 MONTHS to create a few new car(SKINS), clothing skins, and weapon skins. I'd say a group of 10-30 people working on these small updates is all it takes.

There are about 360+ people working at Rockstar North, If they were all working on GTA V: Online, you'd see A LOT more updates and features.

http://www.develop-online.net/studio-profile/inside-rockstar-north-part-2-the-studio/0184061

300 devs, programmers and artists should be heavily at work working on North's next game, while the little team takes care of the useless cosmetic updates for GTA V: Online

Well, i'm with you on this, i don't think 300+ are working on it.

I was just trusting what R* said in the past interview about the future.

In before focusing at GTA VI, don't you think they will give us any kind of single player DLC ? I mean, people was asking for it heavily, and they have done it with IV.

To the actual question: What i really hope about the next GTA, even if it's rather not going to happen, i want to have a cold snowy setting, like Alaska or Antarctica.

That would really give me chills, i would love to see a game going that road for at least one release, it could be epic, at least for me.

Tom Clancy's - The Division is doing exactly that. Will be released in 2016 from Ubisoft. Looks very promising, i think Ubisoft has done the same with Far Cry 4, implemented a co-op online story mode option.

Edited by RedDagger

:^: Good thoughts, I agree. I would be happy to see integration of story mode and online mode. It would make both more rich and replayable. I unfortunately doubt Rockstar's competence to achieve a good integration, but we can hope.

On topic, if I had seen this thread earlier, I would have posted my recent graph here first:

5fQceu9.png

:^: Good thoughts, I agree. I would be happy to see integration of story mode and online mode. It would make both more rich and replayable. I unfortunately doubt Rockstar's competence to achieve a good integration, but we can hope.

On topic, if I had seen this thread earlier, I would have posted my recent graph here first:

5fQceu9.png

Well lets hope to god that this graph does not come true! I'd hate to wait for 6 YEARS until GTA VI

El Tigre chino

The only problem I have with shark cards, is that all the hard work and effort I put into grinding and earning money in GTA Online, is easily attained by noobs who pays to win.

I've completed Criminal Mastermind, and always had the newest cars and tricks, personally I think Rockstar should implement a bragging system, to differenciate the dedicated players vs the pay to win players.

There is nothing wrong with pay to win, but you can't put pride into your car collection when everyone can aquire everything by paying for it.

I understand where you're coming from completely agree with the "bragging system" to differentiate between the have and have nots if that what it takes for everyone to be happy

Rockstar San Diego has hopefully been working on Red Dead for a few good years at this point, and I see them pulling a Bethesda(Fallout 4) announcement sometime next year, with a release 6 months down the line.

-Hvitdverg

It seems like the announcement for Red Dead Redemption was way, way in advance of it's release date, maybe more than a year. I had one of the RDR screenshots on my computers as my screen background, and it seemed like they were on there for almost a year, maybe even more.

The fact that we haven't heard a peep from Rockstar about RD3 really worries me, given their extremely long marketing cycles.

EDIT: I found the RDR timeline:

Rockstar San Diego began to develop Red Dead Redemption in 2005
Though a technology demonstration was shown in 2005, Red Dead Redemption was first formally announced by Rockstar Games on February 3, 2009.
They released its debut trailer on December 1, 2009, introducing the game's protagonist
RDR released for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles on May 18, 2010

A long development cycle, more than a year of marketing (Feb 2009 to May 2010).

:^::^: You put a ton of good research and thoughts into the OP. I'm slowly working through all that data/ideas you collected, and I may have some more comments.

I understand where you're coming from completely agree with the "bragging system" to differentiate between the have and have nots if that what it takes for everyone to be happy

A T-shirt would have been enough for completing Criminal Mastermind. I know I sound a bit like a douch for wanting a bragging system, but it's the only way I see a way to differentiate the "players" from the "payers" .

I have the money to spent on Shark Cards, but I'd rather not, since it takes away the fun real fast

Edited by Hvitdverg

-Hvitdverg

It seems like the announcement for Red Dead Redemption was way, way in advance of it's release date, maybe more than a year. I had one of the RDR screenshots on my computers as my screen background, and it seemed like they were on there for almost a year, maybe even more.

The fact that we haven't heard a peep from Rockstar about RD3 really worries me, given their extremely long marketing cycles.

EDIT: I found the RDR timeline:

Rockstar San Diego began to develop Red Dead Redemption in 2005
Though a technology demonstration was shown in 2005, Red Dead Redemption was first formally announced by Rockstar Games on February 3, 2009.
They released its debut trailer on December 1, 2009, introducing the game's protagonist
RDR released for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles on May 18, 2010

A long development cycle, more than a year of marketing (Feb 2009 to May 2010).

:^::^: You put a ton of good research and thoughts into the OP. I'm slowly working through all that data/ideas you collected, and I may have some more comments.

I did not include every single bit of information regarding all previously developed Rockstar titles. Simply because previous development cycles and progress does not account for the current situation of the gaming market/ industry.

One of my biggest hobbies is to read about the video game industry, a industry I work in myself.

You can't translate previous development into what's being done today. Back when RDR was developed, Rockstar was struggling to make the R.A.G.E engine work properly, at the same time as they were developing a game for two different system architecture. The PlayStation 3 was a pain in everybody's ass. Today's version of the R.A.G.E engine, has been optimized and familiarized by the entire company for nearly a decade. They are also working on architectures that are almost identical, seeing how the PS4/XB1 and PC runs on x86. Marketing is also done in a completely different way, with information and hype not needing months/years of preperation to reach out to consumers.

I'm not saying I have all the answers, because I don't. And I don't work for Rockstar. But have a lot of knowledge about the industry, and especially how marketing works(I've studied marketing).

No need for you to come in here and pretend to be funny, in my opinion.

If somebody on this forum is having a hard time believing you don't need a long marketing campaign prior to releasing a product today. Should really catch up on how marketing is done in recent times.

A campaign like RDR and GTA V could potentially "" kill hype, slow it down and be inefficient.

A shorter, more aggressive marketing plan is usually a more effective campaign with how information flows these days.

Edited by Hvitdverg

I do not like shark cards and I will never buy one but R is far from the first one to do it and they are only following most of the industry. If I got mad at them I would have to get mad at a lot of other people.

A campaign like RDR and GTA V could potentially "" kill hype, slow it down and be inefficient.

A shorter, more aggressive marketing plan is usually a more effective campaign with how information flows these days.

I agree completely. If only, if only, Rockstar New York marketing understood this ... then maybe we would not see my predicted 4-year hype cycle for GTA 6. Time will tell.

I will acknowledge that Rockstar was optimistic about their development time and effort for GTAV, and so apparently the marketing got greenlighted, but the development just kept falling behind. Yes, big software projects are terribly difficult. You might think that Rockstar would understand this, based on their experience designing GTA IV, but alas....

Then, even after stumbling badly on the GTAV development time, Rockstar naively went right back and optimistically assumed that they could crank out the heists. Then, surprise, surprise, they found out that heists were much, much harder than they thought. Another big delay.

So now here we are again. Rockstar's big, big plans for GTA Online, their flaghip "MMO." After having players hunt for elusive crates for 18 months or more, finally they issue a patch with some actual free-roam activities, e.g., Hunt the Beast and some other challenges, a glimmer of the richness of the open world activities implied in the earliest GTA Online marketing.

Everything I see makes me think the development of a GTA6 generation game will require an unbelievably long time. In the meantime, as a survival tactic, Rockstar will continue to put out halfhearted, half-assed patches to GTA Online to stretch it out to keep new waves of children buying GTAV so they can play the free Online. As I said in the other thread, GTA Online is the video game equivalent of lazy, easy reality TV. So much easier than creating a whole game worth of content.

• 1 month later...
Dr WGA Labriskagni

I'm kinda worried about "Agent". We all know its going to be a Ps4 exclusive, "maybe". However the game takes place in the 70's during the cold war, that's Eastern Europe and the Middle east.

But this is Rockstar, they haven't fully disappointed me yet...