2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
Guru Fijis

Johnny K's downfall real or important? [Spoilers]

Johnny's death: Happy or not?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Are you glad that Johnny is dead in gta 5?

• yes
    • no

Gnocchi Flip Flops

Funnily enough, it wasn't Trevor stomping Johnny that really made me hate him. It was the way he treats that idiot manchild, Wade. That and his chronic inconsistency, and that he was clearly designed to appeal to boys in their mid to late teens - i.e. people that probably shouldn't even be playing the game.

The fact is, Johnny did get stomped and people felt something - so it did exactly what it was intended to. I may be reading too much into people's posts, but the fact that they felt such an impact and, in some cases, people actually sound like they grieved his death, is an impressive feat of game design. Sloppy writing, sure, but I can't think of many other games where something like this has hit people quite to the same degree.

Johnny died for our sins. Always in our hearts. Never forget. Etc.

It always affects people greatly when a well developed character dies. No matter how they die, it will affect people. If James Bond got ran over by a snowmobile people would still virtually grieve his death. If Glenn got hit by a car randomly in the middle of an episode, people would still virtually grieve his death. So the point still stands, that it was terrible writing. I'd rather Johnny get shot in the head than stomped up by some ugly demented freak.

Oh and the whole teen thing? Yeah. No. I was in my late teens when I first played V. That scene struck me as borderline retarded. No rage. No excitement. Just a flat monotone "Really?" from me. As soon as I saw Trevor when they unveiled all three of the protagonists, I was like "Who's that ugly f*ck in the stained shirt?"

Edited by Scaglietti

Fuzzknuckles

Funnily enough, it wasn't Trevor stomping Johnny that really made me hate him. It was the way he treats that idiot manchild, Wade. That and his chronic inconsistency, and that he was clearly designed to appeal to boys in their mid to late teens - i.e. people that probably shouldn't even be playing the game.

The fact is, Johnny did get stomped and people felt something - so it did exactly what it was intended to. I may be reading too much into people's posts, but the fact that they felt such an impact and, in some cases, people actually sound like they grieved his death, is an impressive feat of game design. Sloppy writing, sure, but I can't think of many other games where something like this has hit people quite to the same degree.

Johnny died for our sins. Always in our hearts. Never forget. Etc.

It always affects people greatly when a well developed character dies. No matter how they die, it will affect people. If James Bond got ran over by a snowmobile people would still virtually grieve his death. If Glenn got hit by a car randomly in the middle of an episode, people would still virtually grieve his death. So the point still stands, that it was terrible writing. I'd rather Johnny get shot in the head than stomped up by some ugly demented freak.

Oh and the whole teen thing? Yeah. No. I was in my late teens when I first played V. That scene struck me as borderline retarded. No rage. No excitement. Just a flat monotone "Really?" from me. As soon as I saw Trevor when they unveiled all three of the protagonists, I was like "Who's that ugly f*ck in the stained shirt?"

Glenn? The guy from the Walking Dead? The one that died in the comics ages ago and is almost certainly going to die when Negus joins the show this year?

What I meant by the teen thing was that Trevor's SHOCK VALUE and OMG WACKY PSYCHO personality was only going to be appealing to younger people, he's such a caricature of crazy that it's just too... cartoonish. We've got Scorsese's gangster, Michael, John Singleton's gangsta, Franklin, and Trevor.

Trevor.

Trevor, the Chuckle Brothers' psycho.

SmokesWithCigs

To bring back the topic on the right track, I actually believe that theory that Lost MC was an afterthought may be true.

1. First, there was confederation flag hung on one of the campers in Stab City, and to make it more interesting it was changed along with some updates/fixes. Ideas of confederation were closer to the general ideology of AoD, with their racism and chauvinism. And that bring us to the second point.

2. I haven't seen single Lost member that would be black in V. All the generic bikers are white, which makes Clay single black member on the west coast. That's not surprising since Clay was brought from IV, where Lost still was the gang open to all people unlike AoD which allowed only white members to join. Additionally there's terrible distortion in the look of the biker models. Terry and Clay wore a nomad outfits, which are suitable for the desert, where they were located. Johnny was copied from IV along with his unfitting insignia (Liberty, Vice President, etc.), while the whole rest of members look like a bunch of hipster kids, not a street hardened bunch of outlaws. Additionally some members wears rockers saying LFFL, which is kind of strange (Lost Far From Liberty?).

In the earlier version or somewhere during the road, they could be either AoD or some new gang, make to give some enemies to Trevor, but instead of creating them fully they decided to go cheap and reuse TLMC to create a bigger shocker.

To bring back the topic on the right track, I actually believe that theory that Lost MC was an afterthought may be true.

1. First, there was confederation flag hung on one of the campers in Stab City, and to make it more interesting it was changed along with some updates/fixes. Ideas of confederation were closer to the general ideology of AoD, with their racism and chauvinism. And that bring us to the second point.

2. I haven't seen single Lost member that would be black in V. All the generic bikers are white, which makes Clay single black member on the west coast. That's not surprising since Clay was brought from IV, where Lost still was the gang open to all people unlike AoD which allowed only white members to join. Additionally there's terrible distortion in the look of the biker models. Terry and Clay wore a nomad outfits, which are suitable for the desert, where they were located. Johnny was copied from IV along with his unfitting insignia (Liberty, Vice President, etc.), while the whole rest of members look like a bunch of hipster kids, not a street hardened bunch of outlaws. Additionally some members wears rockers saying LFFL, which is kind of strange (Lost Far From Liberty?).

In the earlier version or somewhere during the road, they could be either AoD or some new gang, make to give some enemies to Trevor, but instead of creating them fully they decided to go cheap and reuse TLMC to create a bigger shocker.

Wrong there are plenty of black lost mc member npcs I'm gta v. Look in the gang related threds pics or do an online mission if you don't believe me. Clay was the only black lost mc member in gta of besides jim but that was just the Alderney chapter

Piggsy pls

^Yeah. They even have specific voices for the black members. Some appear to be hispanic as well, they have voice sets for them, too. Rockstar really went out their way to make The Lost seem diverse, especially in contrast to the AOD, who are white supremacists.

BTW, why are people so upset that The Lost are enemies in GTA V? I can understand being upset at with how Johnny's death was handled, but some seem really offended that they have to kill The Lost in this game. sh*t, they're probably my favorite gang in the series, but nothing, no amount of depth to their members, will change the fact that they're a bunch of scumbag bikers, and deserve a bullet to the head just as much as any other gang member. Besides, we killed some of them in every other game they appeared in, anyway.

The Green Sabre

I guess I'll speak my piece and adress several points in this topic.

-"JK's death was meant to symbolize killing the darkness of the IV era.": ...what? Was everything up to that point in the story just window-dressing? From the very beginning, V has a very different tone and atmosphere than IV, being generally more upbeat and colorful ala The Ballad of Gay Tony. I fail to see how killing Johnny is supposed to be ​the ​point of establishing a different tone.

-"JK's death was R*'s way of saying 'f*ck you' to a bad selling DLC.": Even going under the assumption that The Lost and Damned sold badly in the first place, do you guys realize that this idea would make R* seem a bit... petty? They went through the trouble of bringing back most of the TLAD main characters, their voice actors, and The Lost MC, then killed them off within the course of a few missions just to give the middle finger to a well-liked expansion and its fans? This assumption would really put R* in a worse light, you know.

-"JK's death was meant to establish Trevor as a badass.": Even though I happen to like Trevor, how was his way of killing Johnny "badass?" He lured a meth head into a false sense of security, pushed him to the ground, smashed a beer bottle on his face, then stomped him to death. If this was an intense shootout, then I can see the establishment of Trevor being a badass, but this was just a bitch way of killing someone. It's like knocking out that kid in a wheelchair, there's no sense of accomplishment.

I'd simply chalk Johnny's death up as poor writing. The idea that R* would actually hold a certain fanbase in contempt is... hard to stomach.

Fuzzknuckles

-"JK's death was meant to establish Trevor as a badass.": Even though I happen to like Trevor, how was his way of killing Johnny "badass?" He lured a meth head into a false sense of security, pushed him to the ground, smashed a beer bottle on his face, then stomped him to death. If this was an intense shootout, then I can see the establishment of Trevor being a badass, but this was just a bitch way of killing someone. It's like knocking out that kid in a wheelchair, there's no sense of accomplishment.

It was a bitch way to die, not a bitch way to kill someone.

Like Boba Fett getting eaten by the Sarlaac. Everyone loved that guy but Lucas just threw him down a hole.

Like Ned Stark getting his head chopped off. Everyone loved that guy but Martin just had his head chopped off for being a decent man.

Sometimes loved characters are sacrificed to make a point. The point is usually that no one is safe, no matter how tough, or how well respected or loved they are.

I'm not saying they held you/them in contempt, I'm saying they were closing one chapter and opening another. If you feel it was a personal attack on you and other fans of TLAD, then I'm afraid you're almost certainly wrong and possibly a little bit overly caught up in yourself.

Edited by Fuzzknuckles

The Green Sabre

It was a bitch way to die, not a bitch way to kill someone.

Like Boba Fett getting eaten by the Sarlaac. Everyone loved that guy but Lucas just threw him down a hole.

Like Ned Stark getting his head chopped off. Everyone loved that guy but Martin just had his head chopped off for being a decent man.

Sometimes loved characters are sacrificed to make a point. The point is usually that no one is safe, no matter how tough, or how well respected or loved they are.

I'm not saying they held you/them in contempt, I'm saying they were closing one chapter and opening another. If you feel it was a personal attack on you and other fans of TLAD, then I'm afraid you're almost certainly wrong and possibly a little bit overly caught up in yourself.

I find it amazing how you feel the need to put something snide in your posts almost every time. Besides, weren't you the one who put forth that second idea? Hell, didn't you also say that Johnny's death was R*'s way of punishing the fans who didn't but The Lost and Damned? Why the change of heart?

Niobium

i've ranted about his death so much it's like a broken record, but yeah. his death was forced, humiliating, and it showed how little the writers cared about TLAD. it's like the writers never even played TLAD and dan houser is like "ok here is johnny from TLAD, make him a methhead and kill him off lol"

i hope him and his stupid brother choke on the cocaine they've been snorting all day long. dicks

I have to say, this level of bitterness is really quite hilarious. It's only a video game character. If they'd killed your real life friend, I'd understand, but this... This is priceless. A real biker, a real tough guy, wouldn't be whining like this.

I guess this illustrates just how attached people can get to characters but personally I just can't understand it, can't relate at all.

first of all i'm not a biker. i'm a scrawny 17 year old. your argument is invalid

secondly i don't actually want the housers to die. i'm just calling them dickheads because the death scene and all the missions where you casually kill the lost show how little R* cared about the TLAD fanbase. they favour the casual GTA:O little kiddies who waste their parents money on pay2win shark cards over their small, hardcore fanbase who actually played a lot of the previous games.

also it's worth noting that the way the housers treat their employees is also bad.

Edited by Niobium

Tycek

Snip

Wrong there are plenty of black lost mc member npcs I'm gta v. Look in the gang related threds pics or do an online mission if you don't believe me. Clay was the only black lost mc member in gta of besides jim but that was just the Alderney chapter

I did a research before posting it, during which I was checking many times every of three (Hookies, Stab City and LS clubhouse) Lost locations with all three characters to find any member that is not white and I failed. I only found white hipster kids hanging around. So maybe the different models were limited to O or were added in Enhanced Edition of the game? Or maybe I was just unlucky, but scout's word I haven't found a single member with different ethnicity.

Also funny fact, how bad the game works during the switching. I drove as Trevor to the Lost clubhouse, ready to dispose few of them and check their models - place was deserted. I switched to Michael and drove to the same location - bikers are there, hanging around the main gate and inside the compound. Back to Trevor who was still standing in the middle of the place - completely empty again.

B Dawg

BTW, why are people so upset that The Lost are enemies in GTA V?

That's the actual bigger offense than actually killing Johnny. They went from badass bikers who had a whole DLC given to them, to a bunch of cowardly cannon fodder for a bad protagonist.

Imagine if this was still the 3D era, and at the start of the new GTA IV, you smash drug addled CJ's face in the ground after f*cking several of his girlfriends, and then proceed to casually kill off Sweet, Kendl, and the rest of the Grove Street families with no difficulty. What the f*ck?

Edited by B Dawg

OfficialTwiggz

They needed the 'wow' factor for the kids.

Heres a bad ass biker guy, getting stomped on by....who? Trevor? Oh man....whys he yelling? He doesn't care, does he? Oh man, he's a bad ass.

Rockstar wanted Trevor to be THAT guy. And they wrote him well for teens. I didn't enjoy him that much, but to each his own.

Better than killing Niko or Packie.

Son of Zeus

Heres a bad ass biker guy, getting stomped on by....who? Trevor? Oh man....whys he yelling? He doesn't care, does he? Oh man, he's a bad ass.

Rockstar wanted Trevor to be THAT guy. And they wrote him well for teens. I didn't enjoy him that much, but to each his own.

Killing Niko would've been a much bigger 'wow' factor but I guess R* didn't have the balls to do it since he's very popular.

ChiroVette

Killing Niko would've been a much bigger 'wow' factor but I guess R* didn't have the balls to do it since he's very popular.

I don't think its a matter of balls. I just think that they probably like Niko more and didn't want to kill him. Johnny's death makes some storyline sense, too. I didn't play TLaD (or BoGT) but I own them both on PC, oddly enough. So I can't say this for sure, but wasn't Johnny heavily into meth in the game? So a downward spiral, leading him to Trevor's lair, has some congruity to it.

I should probably play those games as I have the Episodes from LC on PC.

SonOfLiberty

Killing Niko would've been a much bigger 'wow' factor but I guess R* didn't have the balls to do it since he's very popular.Niko doesn't have any prior history with drugs though that could've made him succumb. Even though I think killing Johnny was a cheap shot I do see how R* facilitated Johnny's addicted past against him.

Niko has nothing that so weakening him in such a way would be very un-believable.

Jimbatron

Wasn't glad he's dead but great Characters dying do make a story. I'd seeing a good character get tragically killed off is too harrowing I advise you never to watch Game of Thrones.

I think it could have been done better. There's clearly back story that's not explained, particularly why JK becomes the broken man we see in V. I don't find it too implausible though. I always though Ashley was Johnny's addiction. Much as he wanted to cut ties with her at the end of TLAD you doubted if he would keep away. Just as drugs were going to be her downfall, she was always going to be his.

Makes you wonder what would finally be the downfall of other HD era protagonist - anyone else care to digress?

Suggestions:

Niko - protecting friends or family - he's already lost one person important and will sacrifice himself before it happens again.

Luis - 5hagging the wrong persons wife / girl friend.

Michael - this is the difficult one. Assuming he's not killed, I would say greed, but with the big score that might change. Most likely candidate for an IIA revenge hit if they work out his role in The Wrap up?

Trevor - temper gets him in the wrong fight where takes on too many people at once (assuming not dead already)

Franklin - gang land past catches up with him (likely via Lamar)

Piggsy pls

That's the actual bigger offense than actually killing Johnny. They went from badass bikers who had a whole DLC given to them, to a bunch of cowardly cannon fodder for a bad protagonist.

Imagine if this was still the 3D era, and at the start of the new GTA IV, you smash drug addled CJ's face in the ground after f*cking several of his girlfriends, and then proceed to casually kill off Sweet, Kendl, and the rest of the Grove Street families with no difficulty. What the f*ck?

I'd think CJ's death was dumb, but I wouldn't mind killing off the Famalies. Why exactly should I be against that?

Also, The Lost were just canon fodder for Niko, Luis, and Huang too.

Edited by Piggsy pls

B Dawg

I'd think CJ's death was dumb, but I wouldn't mind killing off the Famalies. Why exactly should I be against that?

Only for like, 2 missions for Niko, and one mission for Luis (which didn't make sense)

In GTA V: They're basically your enemies the whole story mode and Online.

Edited by B Dawg

Maibatsu545

You all are also forgetting the fact that it makes ZERO sense to have the Lost in V at all. By the end of TLaD they are almost completely destroyed except for one or two members. There is no way in hell that by V they would be a huge army that's all over the country. It's just so f*cking stupid. Why didn't they just use AoD? It's just so damn stupid.

Otselot

The Lost MC not making sense might explain why Johnny was taller in V. He Probably was a completely different person and R* just changed the character in the last minute and didn't had time to fix other details like Johnny's patches, 7 foot tall wtf? Also might explain why Terry and Clay felt out of place.

Who ever Johnny really was in V, might have been a meth addict AoD tall leader or something like that.

Miss Malevolent

I own the Lost and the Damned but never played it extensively, thus I have no sense of loss for that character.

But I can understand the outrage folks that did like the character have about how he was treated. If Niko was treated like that, I'd HATE Trevor's character versus feel ambivalence towards him.

Piggsy pls

Only for like, 2 missions for Niko, and one mission for Luis (which didn't make sense)

In GTA V: They're basically your enemies the whole story mode and Online.

There's only like three missions in the main story where you go up against them, there are more Online but that is to be expected, plus other gangs are treated the same way Online. Remember originally you could join either The Lost, Famalies, or Vagos in Online and get backup from them, I see why there are a lot of missions involving them.

As for The Lost actually being in V making no sense, I actually agree with this. I'm not sure why Rockstar chose them instead of the AOD, and it's not like they just forget AOD existed. The Lost fugitive says they were wiped out, which seems like a cheap way to write them out. I recall there was a confederate flag at The Range or another Lost territory before it was replaced with a U.S. flag in an update, that may support the theory that the AOD were used in an earlier version. Especially considering The Lost seem to be very ethnically diverse in V, I doubt they'd have a rebel flag. Didn't one of the earlier trailers have an Angels Of Death logo on a van instead of The Lost? I could be wrong.

El Zodape

Hopefully Trevor (preferably wearing a dress) randomly kills Niko in an even more humilliating way just to see GTAF burn for the next 20 years.

Pedinhuh

I'm surprised almost everyone here can agree that Johnny's death and The Lost downfall was a bad decision and bad writting in general.

Also, where's XenoX to defend R* once again?

zmudziak32

AoD seems more sense to be enemies for Trevor Philips, They after 2008 kills protagonists in their games like John Marston and in 2013 Johnny Klebitz.

Hope Vice City chapter will have better characters and more detailed story.

Failure

If C* wanted Johnny the Jew to die, why couldn't he die in a 'boss fight'? I have never played TLAD, so I'm not much attached to Johnny but what R* should have done is to make Johnny show up in Sandy Shores heavily armed with back-up bikers, including Terry and Clay. It wasn't the first or second time Trevor was f**king Ashely, so Johnny should definitely get pissed about this and try to kill Trevor once in for all.

This would make the game (and Trevor) more interesting, add replay-ability, and give a fitting send-off to a previous playable character, not to mention that a great action mission would appeal to the kids' fanbase.

Fuzzknuckles

If C* wanted Johnny the Jew to die, why couldn't he die in a 'boss fight'? I have never played TLAD, so I'm not much attached to Johnny but what R* should have done is to make Johnny show up in Sandy Shores heavily armed with back-up bikers, including Terry and Clay. It wasn't the first or second time Trevor was f**king Ashely, so Johnny should definitely get pissed about this and try to kill Trevor once in for all.

This would make the game (and Trevor) more interesting, add replay-ability, and give a fitting send-off to a previous playable character, not to mention that a great action mission would appeal to the kids' fanbase.

What use is a boss fight with a meth head that can barely even stand up?

Vinewood Villain

Premature damage control right here, this is my opinion folks, so don't pull your "anti-GTA V agenda!" sentiment on me just yet.

At my very first impression, before finishing the game, I wasn't bothered by Johnny's death so much. I thought it was a powerful way to decisively showoff Trevor's intimidating demeanor - his psychotic "I take sh*t from no one!" formidability. Seeing the trailers and reading all the articles, I was excited to invest into Trevor's character. But then the story took all the wrong turns and we got to witness how a 20-something-year old gangbanger named Franklin somehow scares Trevor away and corners him into a cheap death. If Trevor was setup to be more of a consistent character who wasn't constantly interrupted by sh*tty jokes and an overly eccentric personality, then I could like his character enough to supersede Johnny's short appearance (and quick death) in GTA V, despite Johnny's stronger character development from The Lost & Damned DLC. Yes, I know, Trevor's a balls-to-the-wall kind of guy. He's supposed to be erratic, unpredictable, and one pore away from exploding into a fury of rage - but all that is baited into a pretentious narrative when Trevor's written between so many contradictions and unfeasible scenarios. For example, him running away like a pussy from Franklin. I just can't take his character seriously. His mini story arch in Sandy Shores was a blast, then it all went downhill when he moved to Los Santos.

Writing off Johnny as a meth head pushover was a cheap way to portray Trevor as psychotic devil when the rest of the story's tone, especially under Trevor's overall character, betray the seriousness behind it.

TL;DR: Trevor's character was undeserving to kill Johnny K. like that.

Edited by Vinewood Villain

ChiroVette

You all are also forgetting the fact that it makes ZERO sense to have the Lost in V at all. By the end of TLaD they are almost completely destroyed except for one or two members. There is no way in hell that by V they would be a huge army that's all over the country. It's just so f*cking stupid. Why didn't they just use AoD? It's just so damn stupid.

Actually, their presence in V, as it was done, does make sense. Liberty City is a huge, fictional NY City. When The Lost could no longer even be "little fish in a big pond" because they became so fragmented, what would be the logical course of action?

Go to some broken down, economically depressed place and set up shop there as they rebuild. Hmmmm what kind of place might that be? thinking........Perhaps a desert of some sort, several thousand miles away from the East Coast maybe? A West Coast, sandy wasteland with lots of people to sell meth to? I wonder.....how about, oh, I don't know....Blaine County?

So they move there with the hope of being big fish in a little pond now, instead of the other way around.

By the way, the beauty of Trevor murdering Johnny in the way he did is it really shows not only how psychotic he is, but how formidable.

Vinewood Villain, the way I resolve the discrepancy in Trevor's personality is I reject all endings except for The Third Way. Even Rockstar said that the third ending is canon, which may, in fact, be their pompous way of offering a non-apology-apology for the stupidity of the first two endings. That's about as close to Houser will ever come to admitting he fell asleep at the wheel on that one.

Edited by ChiroVette

Vinewood Villain

Rockstar isn't clever enough to make cool boss fights. All we get is "shoot the gas to burn Trevor alive" or "press X or B to kill or save Michael."

Pedinhuh

Rockstar isn't clever enough to make cool boss fights. All we get is "shoot the gas to burn Trevor alive" or "press X or B to kill or save Michael."

Additionally, head shot Steve Heines from a distance, beat down Stretch to death or just shot/blow him up, throw a sticky bomb on Cheng's car and push R up to throw Devin Weston's car off a cliff.