2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
Guru Fijis

Johnny K's downfall real or important? [Spoilers]

Johnny's death: Happy or not?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Are you glad that Johnny is dead in gta 5?

• yes
    • no

gunziness

Thinking that it was a symbolic way of killing TLAD because it sold badly is ridiculous. Like seriously, who would botter to revive characters from a dlc that sold badly? I know they can use them for this very reason, but it would be more logical to just leave them behind and move on. TLAD might have sold poorly (basing me on what you guys say) but they took a peak when it comes to storytelling, and they know that, a lot of fans also know that and thank R* for creating such thing.

I believe they did what they did with the Lost simply to pay tribute to its name, Lost & Dammed. They were destined to end up in the sh*tter or dead, so they used that to kill its protagonist in such a manner so their current protagonist gets the credit for being a badass and/or superior to such character, think that completely missfired IMO, and obviously, for shock value.

The shock value, worked amazingly, people to this day still talk about it, but IMO thats pretty much the only thing R* got well about this. I personally think that killing another protagonist for Trevor definitely didnt worth it (note Im saying protagonist, not Johnny). If it was for a protagonist like Tommy, or a good and well developed character, its ok, an antagonist, even better, but Trevor? mmm not so much, he was a waste of character and baddly handled IMO. Not really 'Trevors' fault but R*s really.

Edited by gunziness

Fuzzknuckles

You guys are f*cking annoying with your assumptions. TLAD sold alright for a DLC. And its generally held in good regard, end of subject. IV and EFLC are a success for Rockstar. So the talk about killing the IV era is bullsh*t.

Second of all why would (if TLAD sold badly) lead them to doing that? That doesnt make sense. Those two things doesnt connect.

Another super fan that doesn't understand the meaning of symbolism.

Gnocchi Flip Flops

Bunch of dimwitted made up gibberish in this topic. "Killing off the greyness of IV" what in the f*ck, that's the dumbest sh*t I've ever read.

They killed off Johnny to make Trevor look like a badass. They didn't care about the story or the lead up or anything. Just Trevor's status. So they took Johnny and killed him to show that Trevor was bad n sh*t because killing off characters is like the top sh*t to folks.

Symbolism my ass.

Edited by Scaglietti

Majestic81

Bunch of dimwitted made up gibberish in this topic. "Killing off the greyness of IV" what in the f*ck, that's the dumbest sh*t I've ever read.

They killed off Johnny to make Trevor look like a badass. They didn't care about the story or the lead up or anything. Just Trevor's status. So they took Johnny and killed him to show that Trevor was bad n sh*t because killing off characters is like the top sh*t to folks.

Symbolism my ass.

You dont know that either, Killing the TLAD version of Johnny might have made him look like a badass but he didnt kill that guy, he killed a drug addict. The way he killed him wast badass either. You just cant know why they really did that scene. its simply bizarre.

I got the vibe that someone at R* just hated Johnny, Because in that small scene it really destroyed Johnny's character and the whole TLAD story. as well as Johnny's face being printed on torn out newspapers that are scattered all over LS streets. Thats a weird detail also.

Edited by Majestic81

Niobium

i forsee a lock coming

A.O.D.88

I personally loved TLAD and enjoyed it very much! Man it makes me wonder what the heck happened to the Rockstar games of 2008-2009!

DetectivePhelps

I always feared by what as the writers did here to the character of T.

I fear in the next GTA, T get's his. I hope not.

Makes me wonder though..

UshaB

Man it makes me wonder what the heck happened to the Rockstar games of 2008-2009!

When a man or woman love cocaine very very much.......things will be different.

DetectivePhelps

Including X, the thing T smokes.

Xing of Virtue

I always feared by what as the writers did here to the character of T.

I fear in the next GTA, T get's his. I hope not.

Makes me wonder though..

T's dead... Like 2 years ago.

Peachrocks

There is no really a point in discussing Johnny's downfall, because everything that was shown in V about TLMC was written so poorly, it's really hard to believe it was written by the same man who wrote TLaD. Everything from Johnny's personality, through his affection to Ashley (when he was clearly over her at the end of TLaD and didn't even want to talk to the her during their final phone conversation), Terry and Clay being reduced to cannon fodder, to such details as vehicles used by the gang, is wrong. And don't even get me started on AoD which is pictured in IV as international gang with clubhouse in every major city in US and few outside the country, yet in V vanished without a trace.

Maybe in the earlier version the wanted to reuse AoD, which would make sense, yet later decided to change it for TLMC, for the shock factor? Either way the writing was clearly amateurish and would fit more into some poor fanfiction written by not very bright fan of the game.

This and clearly many others think so. The only thing I'll contest is Ashley which is worth discussion. Angus says to Johnny that he can help her get out of her situation if he truly cares for her but if he doesn't and it's truly over he has to cut the connection completely. However Johnny later says to Malc when helping Ashley with her debt to Dimitri that he always had a soft spot for someone in trouble.

Point is fixing Ashley's problems make Johnny feel good about himself when he has very little to feel good about. That's why he could never truly cut her off. He doesn't care for her enough to actually help her, but because she gives him a 'high' of feeling good, he won't cut the connection. He rationally knows Ashley is bad for him, but his 'emotional' side won't let go, it's not love as Johnny says in that terribly written scene, the way he treats her in TLAD is evident it's not love, it's a desire to feel like he's doing something good.

I've said since I saw Johnny die that the whole way the Lost are portrayed in GTA Online and GTA V is very reflective of bad fanfiction, written by some 10 year old who hated TLAD and thought Johnny was a whiny bitch without understanding anything about him. Ironically somehow this creates Trevor being a whiny bitch who complains about stuff like people abandoning him when he acts like a dick to them.

I also don't know why they killed him in this fashion. Shock value and making people see Trevor as a badass? Maybe if you hated Johnny... but if you liked him, the whole scene just makes Trevor have a horrible first impression who we are then forced into playing. Trevor doesn't look like a badass he looks like an asshole he's beating an unarmed man to death who has been weakened deliberately because the story said so. Why? Because he raised an objection to screwing someone he cared for? Yeah... real badass alert @[email protected]

They could have had Trevor kill Johnny if that's what they wanted to do but under different circumstances. However as I've said before regarding Trevor, him killing Johnny doesn't even rank among the top 10 reasons I hate him. His hypocrisy being number 1... ugh...

Edited by Peachrocks

B Dawg

Point is fixing Ashley's problems make Johnny feel good about himself when he has very little to feel good about. That's why he could never truly cut her off. He doesn't care for her enough to actually help her, but because she gives him a 'high' of feeling good, he won't cut the connection. He rationally knows Ashley is bad for him, but his 'emotional' side won't let go, it's not love as Johnny says in that terribly written scene, the way he treats her in TLAD is evident it's not love, it's a desire to feel like he's doing something good.

That's some deep sh*t man.

Official General

Hey guys, at least Trevor can be killed by Franklin. My best part of the game. I had never felt so determined to chase down and kill a character in a game so much in my life.

Anyone who hates Tevor and has not done this should give it a try, at least once.

I'm playing V again on the ps4 and it made me realise and confirm why I really hate and despise playing as Trevor. All he ever does in the first part of his story is make gay sexual innuendos and jokes to his underlings. What a f*cking disaster of a protagonist.

Flesh-n-Bone

The more I think about it, the more someone could actually find it plausible.

Johnny had broken up with Ash over and over before, I doubt this would've been the last time. In a way the only way you could wrap your head around it is if you think they got back together, after a while Johnny misses being a bikey and talks up Terry, Clay and the Broker Chapter into driving out and moving their old chapter into San An. There were already Lost Chapters all over the US, so they probably joined up with the more traditional chapters over there. Meanwhile, Johnny gets back into Meth after Ash convinces him to try it again (Johnny had already been addicted to meth before TLaD, he just relapses here) and goes full on. Trevor comes into the picture and begins with a steady relationship with The Lost, before slowly f*cking with them and messing around with their shipments with his merry band of dipsh*ts in chrome Zentornos and f*cking Ashley behind Johnny's back. Halfway in - Johnny finds out and beats the sh*t out of T, breaking a few fingers and scratching his face a bit. Trevor continues f*cking with the Lost and Ashley while Johnny gets more into meth, the straw breaking the camel's back exactly during what we see happen in Mr Phillips.

Wouldn't be the first time R* kills of a protagonist that way. At the end of VCS, Vic Vance has made his money and wants to get out of the game while Lance tries to drag him back in. Then in VC, they show him completely different as if he's an addict (based on his walk, accent and goofy presentation) and he's gone against everything he stood for in VCS (including letting Lance fly the helicopter after promising that he'll never do the flying/driving again after Jive Drive) which ends in him getting shot. Only difference is they told this story in reverse by fleshing out a minor character into a badass.

A.O.D.88

Hey guys, at least Trevor can be killed by Franklin. My best part of the game. I had never felt so determined to chase down and kill a character in a game so much in my life.

Anyone who hates Tevor and has not done this should give it a try, at least once.

I'm playing V again on the ps4 and it made me realise and confirm why I really hate and despise playing as Trevor. All he ever does in the first part of his story is make gay sexual innuendos and jokes to his underlings. What a f*cking disaster of a protagonist.

Trevor is pure psycho and would be a much better fit in the Fallout Wasteland universe as a Raider Boss. It's really an indication of how Rockstar has really moved the franchise away from serious sophisticated criminal Protags like Tommy and Niko.

Being that I also am hugely into open world RPG's is the main reason I like Trevor so much but I also completely understand the reason alot of others here loathe him.

Peachrocks

Johnny is much deeper then most give him credit for but a lot of his character boils around that paragraph. I'm not a fan of the whole biker vibe, but Johnny was a really enjoyable protagonist for me because of his all his conflicts, contradictions and what he wants versus what he can actually do. Compare this to Trevor who is about as deep as a kiddie pool, a man who creates his own problems not because of his beliefs like Johnny does, but for what amounts to 'because reasons' or 'the plot demands it', he's near impossible to identify with or find sympathy for.
Ugh, I hate all the pandering for the dumb majority many companies seem to be doing lately...

I've said it elsewhere but I'm gunna say it again for those who haven't caught it the first three times. Killing Trevor at that point in the plot was utterly meaningless. It felt as empty as the scene where Trevor kills Johnny, I would have enjoyed it if it had any actual meaning. I have done it but I also killed Michael just for the sake of completion and saying I've 'seen it'.

In any case, killing Trevor at any other time during the plot like when Michael first meets him and talks to Dave about what a problem he would be or when Trevor kidnaps Patricia among other times makes far more sense. Yet killing him when the one time he's not responsible for any of the real problems in the plot is completely pointless. The FIB and Haines were the problem in that case, why do they suddenly go away just because you kill Trevor? Weston is also a problem and he doesn't go away either just by killing Trevor. None of their problems really go away by killing any of the key players, it's much more involved then that but seeing as Ending C kills most of the figureheads, it's the best of meaningless choices.

Edited by Peachrocks

UshaB

Wouldn't be the first time R* kills of a protagonist that way. At the end of VCS, Vic Vance has made his money and wants to get out of the game while Lance tries to drag him back in.

From this to that.

VictorVance-1.jpg All that had to say was it's Pete, but nooooooo it's Vic. God damn it R*

slimeball supreme

Wouldn't be the first time R* kills of a protagonist that way. At the end of VCS, Vic Vance has made his money and wants to get out of the game while Lance tries to drag him back in.

From this to that.

VictorVance-1.jpg All that had to say was it's Pete, but nooooooo it's Vic. God damn it R*

Didnt Pete have a really bad disease?

Like - life threateningly bad?

JStarr31

LMAO!!!!!

You people sometimes, I tell you h'what....

R* killed Johnny just to make Trevor badass and to bring an end to everyones "story" from IV... That's it... It wasn't symbolism or what ever tinfoil hat theory you guys seem to deem sensible...

They concluded/killed everyone, and IMO, to lessen the amount of "Where is N, J, L at? I would love a crossover like the III era characters did"... I think they want to avoid that especially if you look at the V cast, who would likely make a cameo in VI? I doubt anyone, if any, maybe Karen Daniels and Mr. K.... It's LIKE there are no supporting characters (there are, I am aware)

Niko - Persumed dead

Johnny - Deceased

Luis - probably going to be killed in VI if it's Vice City along with Tony and I have a feeling they're going to be the surprise antagonists/plot catalyst like Rocco in V

So cmon guys, hell, in V we killed a lot more than Johnny from the IV story... You actually kill at least one person from every game in the IV saga and TBOGT isn't considered "grey":

UL Paper

Rocco Pelosi

Packie McReary (optional)

Clay Simons

Terry Thorpe

Ashley Butler

TLDR; it was just for shock value and nothing more, if anything, it was to prevent future "character crossover" complaints... /thread

Official General

Johnny is much deeper then most give him credit for but a lot of his character boils around that paragraph. I'm not a fan of the whole biker vibe, but Johnny was a really enjoyable protagonist for me because of his all his conflicts, contradictions and what he wants versus what he can actually do. Compare this to Trevor who is about as deep as a kiddie pool, a man who creates his own problems not because of his beliefs like Johnny does, but for what amounts to 'because reasons' or 'the plot demands it', he's near impossible to identify with or find sympathy for.

Ugh, I hate all the pandering for the dumb majority many companies seem to be doing lately...

I've said it elsewhere but I'm gunna say it again for those who haven't caught it the first three times. Killing Trevor at that point in the plot was utterly meaningless. It felt as empty as the scene where Trevor kills Johnny, I would have enjoyed it if it had any actual meaning. I have done it but I also killed Michael just for the sake of completion and saying I've 'seen it'.

In any case, killing Trevor at any other time during the plot like when Michael first meets him and talks to Dave about what a problem he would be or when Trevor kidnaps Patricia among other times makes far more sense. Yet killing him when the one time he's not responsible for any of the real problems in the plot is completely pointless. The FIB and Haines were the problem in that case, why do they suddenly go away just because you kill Trevor? Weston is also a problem and he doesn't go away either just by killing Trevor. None of their problems really go away by killing any of the key players, it's much more involved then that but seeing as Ending C kills most of the figureheads, it's the best of meaningless choices.

Sorry but I don't care. Killing Trevor gave me the greatest satisfaction in the game - what part of that do you not understand ?

UshaB
Didnt Pete have a really bad disease?

Like - life threateningly bad?

He had severe asthma problems. Many believe, because Vic and Lance gained a lot of money to pay medical bills, he died after recovery in the opening scene. Sadly this did not happen.

Peachrocks

Sorry but I don't care. Killing Trevor gave me the greatest satisfaction in the game - what part of that do you not understand ?

Oh I understand it, all I'm saying is that I didn't get any satisfaction... I'm happy for you though :).

That said there are benefits to keeping him alive. You can prolong his suffering... golf balls in the face, making him run round in circles in tear gas, run him over repeatedly, jump out of helicopters with him still inside. Hang out with him normally, then blow his head off as soon as he says something utterly toxic without failing the 'mission'. Which sometimes, the urge was just too strong and I did it anyway.

Maybe I should make a Rockstar Editor video on this now that I finally got my Xbox One back from 'repairs'. Though I've got other ideas :|.

Edited by Peachrocks

Official General

Oh I understand it, all I'm saying is that I didn't get any satisfaction... I'm happy for you though :).

That said there are benefits to keeping him alive. You can prolong his suffering... golf balls in the face, making him run round in circles in tear gas, run him over repeatedly, jump out of helicopters with him still inside. Hang out with him normally, then blow his head off as soon as he says something utterly toxic without failing the 'mission'. Which sometimes, the urge was just too strong and I did it anyway.

Maybe I should make a Rockstar Editor video on this now that I finally got my Xbox One back from 'repairs'. Though I've got other ideas :|.

I hear that, but I just want him "really" dead. I can do all that stuff you mentioned and he will still come back alive. I prefer his death confirmed. I dont ever play as him outside of the storyline do I don't need to have him around.

XenoxX

I hear that, but I just want him "really" dead. I can do all that stuff you mentioned and he will still come back alive. I prefer his death confirmed. I dont ever play as him outside of the storyline do I don't need to have him around.

I have to ask, why do you guys HATE T so much? Is it because e killed Johnny?

Because I think T is one of the honest characktars out there and he isn't a hypocrite he says the things how they are he doesn't hide behind social standards

slimeball supreme

T is an inconsistent, unlikable douchebag who uses people and acts like it's their fault, rapes/murders/everything elses, and is disgusting in every way, shape or form.

also he killed johnny yeah that too

XenoxX

T is an inconsistent, unlikable douchebag who uses people and acts like it's their fault, rapes/murders/everything elses, and is disgusting in every way, shape or form.

also he killed johnny yeah that too

He isn't inconsistent at all be honest to him and he is nice to you...

And yeah he uses Ron and Wade but without T they basicly would realy be nothing.

And yeah he ignores Social acceptance as I said, he is pure darwinism

UshaB

And yeah he ignores Social acceptance as I said, he is pure darwinism

giphy.gif

Xing of Virtue

He made his point. He's not a sadist.

Official General

Because I think T is one of the honest characktars out there and he isn't a hypocrite he says the things how they are he doesn't hide behind social standards

Nope, that's not the reason for me. I don't even care that much that Johnny died to be honest, he was never a favourite character of mine, and I preferred TBOGT over TLAD. Having said that, I still thought it was a silly idea for the story and even then, it was a terribly played out scene.

I hate Trevor for many reasons. One he tries so hard to be funny when he's not. Does extremely stupid things just the sake of it. I can't stand his constant loud tone and shouting to make himself appear much more aggressive and dangerous than he really is. He's just a bully who mainly picks on the weak and meek, not mention killing innocent people for no reason at all (Floyd and Debra). He has a terrible dress sense and he's just a dirty-looking, hideous, unclean guy. Finally, his sick bisexual tendencies and gay taunting.

XenoxX

Nope, that's not the reason for me. I don't even care that much that Johnny died to be honest, he was never a favourite character of mine, and I preferred TBOGT over TLAD. Having said that, I still thought it was a silly idea for the story and even then, it was a terribly played out scene.

I hate Trevor for many reasons. One he tries so hard to be funny when he's not. Does extremely stupid things just the sake of it. I can't stand his constant loud tone and shouting to make himself appear much more aggressive and dangerous than he really is. He's just a bully who mainly picks on the weak and meek, not mention killing innocent people for no reason at all (Floyd and Debra). He has a terrible dress sense and he's just a dirty-looking, hideous, unclean guy. Finally, his sick bisexual tendencies and gay taunting.

T did not kill floyd it probably was debra firing the shot .. Other than that he did not kill any innocent people.

Also the last part sounds kinda homophobic....