2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA V map "racy"?

NumaYay

What I mean is: the streets seem to be very wide and stretched. They remind me of a racing game where everything seems to be very streched to give you a sense of speed. While playing racing games I sometimes ask myself how it would feel to walk around the map. But racing maps are always some kind of stretched and weird. I think walking around on such streets would make me puke because of the stretched style. I got that feeling the last times while I've been playing GTA V. Streets seem kinda stretched, especially in downtown. It feels very "racy" therefore in my opinion.

• Like 2

What I mean is: the streets seem to be very wide and stretched. They remind me of a racing game where everything seems to be very streched to give you a sense of speed. While playing racing games I sometimes ask myself how it would feel to walk around the map. But racing maps are always some kind of stretched and weird. I think walking around on such streets would make me puke because of the stretched style. I got that feeling the last times while I've been playing GTA V. Streets seem kinda stretched, especially in downtown. It feels very "racy" therefore in my opinion.

Its how the streets in LA are, wide open and stretched this is also why GTA V sets the focus on vehicle cover ground combat, and does it incredibly well.

Xing of Virtue

It explains the countless races in the multiplayer.

I don't know about the "racy" part, but I also have the feeling that the streets, and roads, are quite honestly annoying for their open wide design.

It could have been designed to capture the realistic feel of driving on the big city roads and wide open stretches, or to give the GTA V map a huge 49 sq miles of scale.

Fuzzknuckles

I don't know about the "racy" part, but I also have the feeling that the streets, and roads, are quite honestly annoying for their open wide design.

It could have been designed to capture the realistic feel of driving on the big city roads and wide open stretches, or to give the GTA V map a huge 49 sq miles of scale.

It was designed to reflect the huge wide open roads of Los Angeles, like IV's map was designed to reflect the more claustrophobic, narrow streets of New York. From what I've seen of LA in the movies, they nailed it.

Signatures are dumb anyway.

Lester-The-Molester

It was obviously done for garbage online. There's no other logical explanation.

• Like 3

sarcasm right?

Lester-The-Molester

sarcasm right?

Yep.

• Like 5

Online does play a role in maps design, and as hinted at earlier post, that did seem to make multiplayer races so popular.

But, what a new thing strikes me now, is this a sign to attract the racing fans, as a clever way of making V a good multiplayer racing game, too??

Don't get me wrong here. But, reading such topics makes me always wonder about whether Rockstar was trying to appeal what GTA fans want, or what COD, racing, FPS, RPG, fans want?

Edited by Osho

Fuzzknuckles

They tried to appeal to the broadest audience possible, which is quite easy when you have an open world that allows for racing, shooting, etc. GTA is in the enviable position of being able to offer something to almost all game genre fans. They would have considered this during development and design phases, but I doubt they consciously decided to make the roads wider for racing purposes, There's plenty of narrow little roads in V as well, much like a real city. V's LS is the most realistic city I've ever seen in a game because it doesn't just focus on one specific area or road style, etc. It just accurately reflects the real world.

• Like 2
Signatures are dumb anyway.

Online does play a role in maps design, and as hinted at earlier post, that did seem to make multiplayer races so popular.

But, what a new thing strikes me now, is this a sign to attract the racing fans, as a clever way of making V a good multiplayer racing game, too??

Don't get me wrong here. But, reading such topics makes me always wonder about whether Rockstar was trying to appeal what GTA fans want, or what COD, racing, FPS, RPG, fans want?

You do realize there is a crossover, GTA apeals to a VERY BROAD audience, and I can tell you not every "gta fan" thinks like you do.

And no the map design has nothing to do with Online, in Online there were additional props etc placed in races to make them feel unique, the wider and broad streets are there because LA has wide and broad streets as fuzz allready stated. LS was mostly designed to fit with LA, with all the famous locations etc. packed in.

But I guess you will allways think ONLINE is the reason for all evil(which isnt actualy evil btw.)

I said about Online playing a role in maps design after reading a member in the past who explained the reasons ( I will see whether I can locate that post )

But yeah, its an unofficial and personal view of the member and not coming from Rockstar, so I guess it holds little weight in discussions.

Xing of Virtue

The physics are meant to be arcady so every car feels like an RC car (or racecar), thus the roads are obviously going to look racy.

The Grand Senora Desert speaks for itself in the Online races.

Gnocchi Flip Flops

First of all the roads are very wide in western/newer parts of the United States. Second of all, Los Angeles is the second largest city in the United States and it is very widespread with sprawl. No way to describe how genuinely awful the traffic is. Right now is rush hour, they're probably jammed up right now. So the roads are very wide. The infrastructure in Los Santos is also far more advanced than it is in Liberty City because V is newer than IV. Not to mention that Los Angeles is newer than New York so the streets are more modern. Racey my ass. Go play NFS and compare.

I will say, however, that the layout needs a bit of work. Random lane endings and unclear road markings.

Edited by Scaglietti
  • Like 3

TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Its how the streets in LA are, wide open and stretched this is also why GTA V sets the focus on vehicle cover ground combat, and does it incredibly well.

Someone complementing GTA V? HOLY sh*t IT'S THE END TIMES! HELL FREEZING OVER, DOGS AND CATS LIVING TOGETHER, MASS CHAOS! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

• Like 1

Nah nah nah Gta 6

Thats like saying GTA IV's airport was specifically designed to be a deathmatch area, it's not, but that doesn't stop players from turning it into one.

The map doesn't feel racy at all, In fact, since the cars are always getting in the way and feels nothing like a race track, its anything but racy, even areas that are intended for racing (The horse track) aren't even that good.

• Like 4

Gnocchi Flip Flops

Thats like saying GTA IV's airport was specifically designed to be a deathmatch area, it's not, but that doesn't stop players from turning it into one.

The map doesn't feel racy at all, In fact, since the cars are always getting in the way and feels nothing like a race track, its anything but racy, even areas that are intended for racing (The horse track) aren't even that good.

The one time I fully agree with you.

I actually love the fact that we have full blown avenues now. I craved them so much back in IV. I just wish they curved around the city more with less traffic lights. I love an avenue that just flows. 4 lanes and a median, 50 mile an hour traffic, and a nice convertible to just cruise.

Edited by Scaglietti

I was expecting another sort of "Racy". ;)

I very disappoint. :(

• Like 4

Gnocchi Flip Flops

^ I think the map is the opposite of racy lol. More like a dried up woman in her 50's.

• Like 1

poland stronk

I like the V map. It doesn't capture LA vibe in my opinion but I have to admit I love traveling in it. I often catch myself just driving around not doing anything when I wanted to - I just keep forgetting my current goal when I am outside of a mission because both driving physics and roads make you want travel on. I have no problem walking down the road even if it is too wide. The other thing which also caught my eye was complexity of a map. You are trying to escape police in a sports car, you get out and find yourself in an alley perfect for a shootout or running by set of buildings that make you turn camera to glare at them. I can't say Los Santos and Blaine County lack anything, I just think that building and street placement could be done different, better, to make whole map stand out instead of having elements glued together like puzzle pieces, but it is very easy to transition from car chase to shootout.

Edited by poland stronk
  • Like 1

Um, you must be high. V doesn't feel like a race track, the highway gives off that 'lonely road' feel (although it's not), the streets are tight, and some streets are wide, so it gives variety.