3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

How to record gameplay on PC?

JustSomeBunny

JustSomeBunny

One of my favorite things about the PS4 version was the share button. Pressing the share button allowed me to save the previous 15 minutes of game play footage for those special times when something awesome and unexpected happens. What is the equivalent feature for PC? Thank you!!!

I use Fraps.

Please note, I am saying as in general video game recording for PC, and not regarding V as I haven't recorded any V play through, yet.

Download the free version, and if you like it then buy fraps. I own the same and can easily recommend as the best thing to buy when it comes to recording games for PC.

• Like 2

officialruneite

I use Fraps.

Please note, I am saying as in general video game recording for PC, and not regarding V as I haven't recorded any V play through, yet.

Download the free version, and if you like it then buy fraps. I own the same and can easily recommend as the best thing to buy when it comes to recording games for PC.

He was talking about recording replays (say something really cool happens and he wanted to record those last few moments).

You can record the last 30-90 seconds with the editor. Click f2 in the character select screen and then click ALT+F1 to save it (I think you need to wait a bit before clicking the save button)

I heard ShadowPlay has a feature like this which records the last 20 or something minutes although you need an Nvidia card to use it.

Edited by officialruneite
  • Like 2

If you're using a nVidia graphics card then you should be able to usee Shadowplay to buffer a few minutes of footage then save when something cool happens. Shadowplay is a component of GeForce Experience so install that if you don't already have it. If you're using an AMD card then you can use Raptr for the same thing. Raptr is a component of AMD Gaming Evolved which should install with your Catalyst drivers.

Alternatively, as officialruneite pointed out, you can enable Action Replay in the game itself and edit saved clips in the Rockstar Editor for that extra cinematic edge.

• Like 1

Nvidia has its own recording program, and I believe Windows 10 has a game capture function somewhere. Otherwise Fraps is a good choice.

Ai®a©ob®a

Nvidia has its own recording program, and I believe Windows 10 has a game capture function somewhere. Otherwise Fraps is a good choice.

You're correct it does...If you use a XB360 controller you hit the home button on the controller and it brings up a little tool bar.

Yes, Windows 10 also let you take screenshots, and I think that also take records, but you must to run the game in window mode.

And about Nvidia (Shadowplay) the game must be compatible with Nvidia Experience. If not, you will not be able to record with Shadowplay.

Edited by sutalu

DentureDynamite

+1 on what Osho said about Fraps. It works great with both video capture and screenshots; I use it all the time.

Oddly enough, GTA Online is the only thing I've used it for (registered it a long time ago), but it's well worth the price.

Would be nice if the Beepa Pty Ltd (Fraps people) added a feature similar to Nvidia's Shadowplay.

MarshallRawR

Would be nice if the Beepa Pty Ltd (Fraps people) added a feature similar to Nvidia's Shadowplay.

The only reason people still use Fraps is because "it just works" (hi Bethesda).

Thing is, that thing is outdated now. Almost no configuration, huge files... there's much better than Fraps now.

Except if they've been working on a "Fraps 4.0", it's pretty much done (last update was on February of 2013).

EDIT: I noticed they still updated their copyright thingy on their website to 2015, so I guess someone's checking the website.

Edited by MarshallRawR

RyanBurnsRed

Fraps is really bad on performance and I honestly don't know why people are still recommending/using it in 2015. I mean it's like 2008 all over again.

Like some have said above Windows 10 has its own built in recording software. I forgot the key combination for it but I'm sure you can find it easily with Google.

If you have an Nvidia card that's a 600 series or newer then you can use ShadowPlay. It uses a dedicated encoding chip on the GPU that records and encodes the video ready to upload to Youtube with little to no hit in performance.

There's also MSi Afterburner as well as OBS. All of which are absolutely free. Fraps as far as I know is not free and is severely limited unless you turn to....other means.

ryanburnsred.gif

To record gameplay I prefer: Bandicam :)

The program include the codec H.264 (with hardware acceleration, if your graphic card support it), and others codecs.

Also, you can choose the codec you want from internet to include it in the software. I use the x264vfw codec (a free codec from internet). It generates large files but then I compress them.

DentureDynamite

^^ Sutalu, looks better than Fraps for sure--but PM'd a question to you about it before I buy. :)

Edited by DentureDynamite

DentureDynamite

Just for the record, Fraps v3.5.99 does allow buffer video capture (wasn't aware of this until I asked Beepa yesterday):

"The loop buffer length option in Fraps allows you to configure the amount of time Fraps constantly captures for when the loop recording mode is active. This recording mode can be useful for when you just want to keep a video of the occasional interesting moment that happens instead of the entire gameplay session.

You can enable loop recording by holding down the video capture hotkey for longer than 1 second (the framerate counter overlay will change color to pink) and when something interesting happens that you want to keep, you can simply press the video capture hotkey again (it will change to red) and Fraps will then keep the previous 30 seconds (or however long as been configured) of captured video and continue recording until you stop like normal."

But that said, it looks like Fraps development is dead in the water (just my guess since there haven't been any recent updates). Plus there are too many other good solutions such as Bandicam or Nvidia's ShadowPlay out there now.

Also, in case it's helpful to anyone reading this thread, a handy compression tool (free and open source) out there is Handbrake.

Edited by DentureDynamite

Fraps and others are crap, the only good recording software is Shadow Play which is free (Best Paid software is Dxtory using Lagarith Lossless Codec)

Edited by NoSignal666

MarshallRawR

the only good recording software is Shadow Play

That's you know, your opinion.

Also Shadow Play is different than others as it mainly depends on the GPU, just like AMD's version that does the same.

the only good recording software is Shadow Play

That's you know, your opinion.

Also Shadow Play is different than others as it mainly depends on the GPU, just like AMD's version that does the same.

Because of Shadow Play's reliance on the GPU for processing and it's use of a slow hard drive as a video cache, recorded quality suffers on systems like mine that push GPU usage up to and beyond 98%. There's a lot more overhead in modern CPUs that can be used for recording and yes, having a video cache in system memory would be better.

Shadow Play is fine when the GPU is not already being pushed to the limit.

Paid recording/editing software and capture cards are much better.

When 4K becomes the norm there should be more and better choices in no-cost recording software.

I digress.

Edited by stretchx9

Well, I think that if you are going to record gameplays as amateur, a software video recording is ok.

But if you want to make a youtube channel, for example, and you are going to record many games, I think that the best option is to buy a video capture card.

With the video capture card you will get the maximun quality and you will not lose any frame, ergo what you see is what you get.

Edited by sutalu
  • Like 1