Map limits?

The Dedito Gae

Kestion  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Map limits?

• Islands in middle of nowhere.
    • Land Locked.

The Dedito Gae

So, i was playing Utimate Spider-Man, i was doing Spider-Man stuff like wall crawling and web swinging, then i hit an invisible wall in Queens.

It was f*cking stupid and ankward.

This may not seem like much, but i haven't experienced this in years (i just play gta, not much of a gamer) and i remember how much i hate this, gta maps might not be the most faithful out there but it beats the alternative of crashing into nothing or limited transportation in some games.

So, any thoughts on this?

Do you like the isolated island maps in gta or you would prefer a "locked" land map or other method to be implemented in the future?

Can anyone understand what i'm trying to say?

No, Island please. Those invisible walls you talk about are... how can I say it?

f*cking stupid and ankward.

:^:

Edited by AlexanderS4
  • Like 2

mcorleone_9015

Land locked only works in games without flying mechanics. It may work in strongly story focused games such as Mafia 1 when you couldn't never fly and there were a lot of mountains that gave you the illusion that there were not invisible walls.

So no, please no. Invisible walls have no place in a open world game that values freedom so much as Grand Theft Auto.

• Like 3

I'm a fan of the island-based maps in GTA, especially when you've got plenty of countryside as well as city. Mountain ranges to create the impression of a land-locked map - as said - only works in games with no flying mechanics, and invisible walls are just frustrating and spoil immersion. Plus, having the map as an island means R* need to think more creatively over how to make the map work when there's water where technically there shouldn't be any.

• Like 1

Nah nah nah Gta 6

GTA 1 through GTA VC (IDK about the Stories games but CTW has it too) are the only ones to include invisible walls on the edges of the map, rest either went on forever or blows you up.

I can understand this, but if Islands or parts of the map are going locked off it should be done like GTA III and GTA Vice City, where they are blocked off but if you bybass it you can explore the rest of the map, its an unintentional "reward", instead of being punished with a wanted level for no reason like in SA and IV.

One thing I'd like is to see other maps waaaay in the distance, so far you cannot reach it, so they're basically a texture in the background, only if the game has multiple cities like GTA 1.

Edited by Stoney0503

I like an island in the middle of nowhere for a setting like Vice City.

For a map like Southern San Andreas, I'd prefer a combination of infinite water and infinite land.

It was f*cking stupid and ankward.

Ankward? (sic) Are you creating new words? ;)

GTA 1 through GTA VC (IDK about the Stories games but CTW has it too) are the only ones to include invisible walls on the edges of the map, rest either went on forever or blows you up.

I can understand this, but if Islands or parts of the map are going locked off it should be done like GTA III and GTA Vice City, where they are blocked off but if you bybass it you can explore the rest of the map, its an unintentional "reward", instead of being punished with a wanted level for no reason like in SA and IV.

One thing I'd like is to see other maps waaaay in the distance, so far you cannot reach it, so they're basically a texture in the background, only if the game has multiple cities like GTA 1.

The Stories Games Retain their 'Main' Counterparts Map Confinement means.

Today, technology has clearly evolved to give better creative alternatives to "invisible walls" that break the immersion, so obviously, NO.

I am not sure about the poll choices, because both; 'Islands in middle of nowhere' and 'Land Locked' are not an issue to me, rather than the way the developers treat the map limits, namely, the experience shared about the spider man where the player hits an invisible wall or a dead zone for no fault of the player but due to the restriction imposed; artificially blocking him from exploring further despite the fact that the game clearly said, "the player can experience a free-roaming city"

So, I'd not register a vote, sorry.

Coming to the topic of map limits. Based on the experiences I had with the few games I played, I'd say; Far Cry 2 did a believable job of treating the map limits. The whole map is surrounded by deserts ( due to the setting ), and the moment game finds you going beyond the permissible limits, an interesting effect of causing your vision to appear blurry, starts slowly in order to warn you that you have reached the map limit and should stop going any further, otherwise you will pass out and just spawn back to the area where you started to enter the deserts' limit.

This is so much better than being suddenly hit by an invisible wall making no sense in a vast, empty desert boundary. The effect is quite believable as it creates a sense of realism that if you keep venturing out of the desert limit you may become dehydrated, and pass out.

Nice idea!

Such creative ideas should be employed in every game featuring map boundaries, be desert, water, etc.

More importantly, interesting effects should be used as a warning signal to turn back otherwise the player may suffer consequences for ignoring, which could be anything depending on the setting except instant death.

• Like 1

I like both, but would prefer locked land for once. In Watch_Dogs, it's a little bit of both. There are invisible boundaries in the water like in GTA, but there are also boundaries on the land, namely "hills" you can't climb any further and stuff like that.

My idea is something similar -- being unable to climb (fly above) certain hills and an endless highway, much like the endless ocean, that only leads to invisible boundaries once you get far enough from the main city. They could totally do that with Nevada and Las Vegas :)

Watch_Dogs map:

44271169_117.jpg

vH3oeZW.jpg

Vi5PvUo.jpg