3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

DragonpokeZ

High Stakes, AP Lowriders

DragonpokeZ

Well, I'm going to the local fair right now and won't be back for a looong while, so hopefully by the time I get back we'll have some great news

OrionSR

PS2 v2.

Yesterday I tested the cars with all sorts of attacks. Firetrucks arrived and I used them to crash into the cars, and especially the two Majestics.

It's like crashing into bedrock, no damage on either Majestic. No visible damage anyway. Could I be hurting the Majestics health without causing visible damage? Maybe the glue also glues the bodywork in place, but does not protect the car's health?

You are correct. The frozen car code is protecting the vehicle from damage. Not even a Rhino impact can hurt it. Once that property has been removed the YB Majestic shows damage from impacts from other cars. The parachute shows damage either way. The car's heath is not damaged either. The frozen car on the end of a crane magnet eventually exploded as I was messing around. I couldn't tell if it had flipped or not. It could be receiving damage from scrapping on the surface similar to boats scrapping against the ground or ramps.

Experiments with the magnet crane at the quarry have been unsuccessful so far.

Testing of wrecked race cars shows that the wrecks do disappear after a while if CJ isn't watching them. I'm afraid I may have misled dragon but haven't give up yet. No luck on impounding. I've got a clear area script for the area around race start to help with testing.

I confirmed the hypothesis that entering the race cars will flag them as one of CJ's recent vehicle. The test was, drive to the race start but don't start the race, park a Sweeper and Washington in the race start area, enter one race car, and clear the area. Only the Washington was impounded, but that confirms the hypothesis that the race cars are getting flagged.

When I warped directly to the race start after triggering the mission I noticed that there is some lag before the cars become frozen. It didn't last long, maybe 5 to 6 seconds. It looks like if one of the cars can be wrecked within the time limit none of the 4 will be frozen. I can't follow the logic of the code well enough to tell if there's a way extend the time limit.

OG Viking

So the race lowriders have:

a) regular proofings added to them, AP or nearly AP, +PP

b) frozen code that also protects them

c) when the race starts, any damage that impossibly could have occurred is repaired.

R* really wanted to be sure no one would cheat lol. Or, many programmers were involved and they didn't always keep track of what others added to the code.

I know a bit about the wrecked car behavior in this mission, because I have wrecked them a lot. It was when I tried to solve my problems in the SF impound, I needed to control the number of vehicles that could spawn there. I controlled that by adjusting the number of lowriders. If too many lowriders were alive, my airplanes in SF impound would not spawn. If too few lowriders were alive, too many random cars would spawn in the impound and possibly replace one of my airplanes.

HSLR lowriders will vanish soon after destruction.

All the times I did that, I noticed that it took more kicks to destroy the Remington. That way I learned that the Collision Damage Multiplier also calculate how much damage melee attacks is doing. That was a surprise, I thought it was based on CJ's muscle and weight only. But a kick is a collision too in a way, so yeah.

Edited by OG Viking

VY C M

Deleted Post

Edited by 7 day survivor

OrionSR

I'm getting some confusing results from my impounding tests on the HSLR pre-race cars. I've been messing with my main scripts to unlock and unfreeze, and cleo to unneed the 4 target vehicles and clear the area around the race start. So far I have only been able to impound the YB Majestic and I can't figure out why the others won't impound.

The game is still tracking only CJ's 2 most recent vehicles. Needed vehicles are included on the previous vehicle list even if they won't impound using the same settings. It doesn't seem to matter if the vehicle is entered before or after it is unneeded.

c) when the race starts, any damage that impossibly could have occurred is repaired.

The race vehicles are not the same as the pre-race vehicles. Nothing was repaired and immunities were not removed; the cars are created anew.

Edited by OrionSR

Lethal Vaccine

Similar to what Dragon has said, that is what HeroBrineR007 said...About Impounds and using those to obtain these Vehicles from HS,LR.

Anyways, looks like a lot of progress. Good job. Hopefully these will be obtainable some day and like 7 day survivor as said, legit.

OG Viking

No luck with either AP lowrider. I could not impound any of them. A cool thing is that during this mission, I don't get a wanted level by being in the impound, the guards' alarm and call for backup are to no avail.

I didn't want to get more than one lowrider impounded (I've got two helicopters impounded), so I destroyed the race lowriders one by one and checked the impound each time. Some of the lowriders (Remington, Y Majestic and Blade) were one of CJ's last two possessed vehicles at the time they were destroyed. I believe one Majestic was not on the list of possessed vehicles.

But I was lucky with the FP/EP/CP/MP BF-400 (see the other thread), so I've had my share of luck for today.

Edited by OG Viking

OrionSR

I'm making progress with managing local variables in missions so I can have more control of the vehicles with cleo but it will take a while before I can work out the proper procedures.

Added: Not so long after all. Once I knew what to look for I was able to confirm my static address and find a pre-made procedure to to the work on thread and missions.

Update: Nope, not quite. I have the info I need but it needs to be adapted. I have never tried to make my own procedure so this'll be tricky. Don't expect progress any time soon but, if this works it'll be a lot easier to tweak mission settings with cleo and reduce my dependence on script mods.

I'm not terribly optimistic about Dragon's hypothesis. The main issue is lack of a clear area command near the wrecks. I misled him with a report that needed wrecks don't disappear but observations clearly suggest this is not true. I think the wrecks are disappearing as part of the normal garbage collection - give them time and don't look and they'll vanish on their own.

I would assume that starting the race would issue a clear area command at the spawn point of the cars, perfect for impounding anything stuck in place, but I can't find it in the code - mostly because the race scripts are terribly confusing; I'll bet the code is there somewhere. But I doubt it'll help as the wrecks will be deleted, the mission will end, and a variable set will trigger the race. It's a really odd and non-intuitive mission hand-off process, but one mission must completely end before the other can be launched by a lurking thread (there are lots of threads running but only one mission can be active at a time).

There are definitely clear area commands for the race start in the pre-race mission. If the player's car was left near the mission start in El Corona, and the wreck pre-race vehicle was CJ's 2nd most recent vehicle and a new 1st most recent vehicle was used to immediately re-trigger the mission as the player's vehicle was wrecked, then maybe a wreck would be cleared if it hadn't already been deleted like the example above.

Here's an easy tests for normal games, and my game is anything but normal at the moment: Sometimes the driver will pull CJ out of the car and drive off, but my cars usually aren't frozen so I'm not sure if they can drive a frozen car or not. If they can, what happens if you re-jack the car? Is it still frozen for CJ?

Edited by OrionSR

DragonpokeZ

I'm getting some confusing results from my impounding tests on the HSLR pre-race cars. I've been messing with my main scripts to unlock and unfreeze, and cleo to unneed the 4 target vehicles and clear the area around the race start. So far I have only been able to impound the YB Majestic and I can't figure out why the others won't impound.

The game is still tracking only CJ's 2 most recent vehicles. Needed vehicles are included on the previous vehicle list even if they won't impound using the same settings. It doesn't seem to matter if the vehicle is entered before or after it is unneeded.

The race vehicles are not the same as the pre-race vehicles. Nothing was repaired and immunities were not removed; the cars are created anew.So the BP/FP/EP/MP B&Y Majestic is possible? Yay, I discovered a vehicle! Now every time you get it you have to pay 1000000 ingame dollars to keep it c:< Ok not really xD

As for the other lowriders, you could always test it by trying to impound many lowriders at once. If your impounds are full then I could supply you the savefile that I've been using for testing. It's pretty much CDBB(?)'s savefile with a few tweaks

Edited by DragonpokeZ

OrionSR
So the BP/FP/EP/MP B&Y Majestic is possible?

Beats me. I don't know why the YB Majestic impounds but not the others. I'll try again with a new approach when I work out the bugs. But, in my tests the YB Majestic was unneed (locked, frozen or CP didn't matter) and hit with a cleo clear area command while the mission was still active. I haven't got anywhere close to getting wrecks to impound by driving around until the wreck vanishes.

Weird things happen with the impounds. I'm not ruling anything out, but you are going to need to do most of the leg work on this one.

Also, a lot of my testing was to determine if mission vehicles count towards the previous vehicle list before they are unneeded. They do.

Edited by OrionSR

DragonpokeZ

You mentioned the garbage collector despawning the lowriders... That's what despawns your vehicles that you leave all over the state, among other things, am I right? So if that's what's destroying them it might still be possible to impound them the way I mentioned. You only tested the Clear Area command, and thanks to that I guess we know that AT LEAST we'll have a BP/FP/EP/MP Majestic, but I'll test my theory of the garbage collector

The B&Y Majestic seems very strange. Not only is it the only non-CP car, it also is the only one to get Impounded, and for some reason it is always the first car that the homies go for, at least on my savefile (it might be due to where I park my car, but still worth noting I guess). The scripts creating it might be glitched. You think you could see if that's the case?

Edited by DragonpokeZ

OG Viking

The garbage collector don't normally impound things, thankfully. (It would be a good thing here, but imagine all garbage being dumped in the impounds...)

In my last test, my homies opened fire against the rear Majestic. I parked a bit behind Cesar and the homies pulled out the Blade driver first. I remember it well because he died after CJ had knocked him two or three times, the homes fired their MP5s and the driver dropped down dead in between us after 2-3 knocks on his face. It made it look like one of my homies had made a head-shot, but the drivers are AP so it should not be possible. The other drivers appeared to be tougher.

Edited by OG Viking

OrionSR

The Blade driver is missing his immunities and can easily be killed with any weapon.

Garbage collection is different than a clear area command. Clear area is usually used at the location of a mission start to make sure there isn't any traffic or peds blocking, merging or getting squished or something that would look weird. Sometimes they clear a large area, other times the spot is limited to the size of a vehicle. The large ones like boat and bike school have a nasty habit of impounding vehicles in the general area, maybe traffic, maybe parked. And that's why I can't dismiss the strategies suggested by Dragon and Hero. Impounds are strange and hungry beasts.

DragonpokeZ

Strange and hungry beasts that, once again, took my sacrifices of Hydras and Hunters. I can clearly remember one day when I was fooling around with a vehicle spawner and spawned lots of AP Hydras and Hunters throughout a roleplay play season, then when I checked the Impound in SF there were one AP Hydra and Hunter next to each other, and I tried to destroy them with rockets and they still had their properties, so the garbage collector can impound some stuff from time to time

OrionSR

Progress Report

Still no sign of a legitimate collection.

With cleo control all pre-race vehicles impound as expected.

Drivers cannot escape in a frozen vehicle.

Remington and finally impounded when starting the race if unneeded and deletion was redirected.

Redirecting the deletion of the vehicles was the one major change I couldn't make mid-mission without learning how to jump through a bunch of cleo hoops. And with that progress I can now control all mission vehicles and actors with cleo. Before the "local" variables of the mission were hidden from my scripts. Now I can read them and change them.

The final HSLR script basically unlocks, unfreezes, unneed, and redirects deletion of any of the vehicles or actors. Although you still need to be careful with Cesar and his car or the mission will end or black screen. I figured there wasn't much point in changing the driver's immunity settings, but that option is easily enabled. The drivers (and Kendl) can be deleted but then if you leave the area the unneeded cars will collected with the garbage. But as long as the needed drivers are in the cars they'll sit at the race start.

I made a couple of other more generic cleo scripts. One will Clear Area in a small radius around the player, another will unneed any car the player can enter. This can be modified to unlock and unfreeze but can't prevent deletion. Unfortunately, I have yet to be able to unlock a mission car from outside. Maybe I'll find something on GTAGarage. I know some people were working on that puzzle 10 years ago so, maybe they finally figured it out.

I'm having problems identifying the cleo scripts on GTA.ru. The link says Unfreeze & FPS but it looks like only the FPS script (remove from turret, player can move, etc). Maybe I'll work on that later if someone wants some more power toys for vehicles in another mission.

Are there any outstanding questions on these vehicles?

Edited by OrionSR

DragonpokeZ

Let me see if I understood right your results...

Using cleo, everything Impounds. What does the Cleo script change?

No NPC can leave the vehicles on their own. Correct?

If the car is unneeded and the code for deleting the pre-race vehicles is redirected to something else, the pre-race vehicles are Impounded. Correct? Does wrecking the vehicles actually unneed then or is that just an illusion? And how does redirecting the vehicle's deletion work?

Also, re-reading your posts, I got the idea that just unneeding isn't enough to Impound these vehicles. Any way to redirect deletion ingame?

Edited by DragonpokeZ

OrionSR

I'm not sure what is different with cleo other than I have more control over individual settings. Maybe it helps that I had a much smaller clear area radius. Either way, I don't see any legitimate progress, I'm just clearing up various mysteries.

I don't think the NPCs leave on their own. I've seen random drivers get mad and pull the race drivers out. IIRC, the traditional Savanna collection method is to bash the car until Cesar gets out. I haven't seen this with other pre-race drivers. If you bash the car enough it will catch fire and the driver will bail. I haven't been able to find a sweetspot where he bails without the car burning and exploding.

If you can destroy one of the cars within seconds of starting the drive to the starting position it should prevent the rest of the cars from being frozen in place, but I still see no hope of unneeding the car.

Wrecking the vehicles does not appear to unneed them. Spamming clear area does nothing to the wrecks.

Watch the cars vanish as you wreck the players car. Everything instantly disappears and there's no fade to hide it.

Redirecting the deletion is accomplished by changing the variable the mission is using to control the vehicle. So if [email protected] = YB Majestic the handle stored in [email protected] can be used to change the colors or add immunities, etc. To control the vehicles with cleo I copy the value of [email protected] from the mission to a variable local to my cleo script and change whatever I want. To prevent deletion I change the value of [email protected] in the mission after it's done creating the cars. When it comes time to delete it can delete the first car in the pool, whatever that happens to be, or the player's wreck since I'm not using it anyway. Setting Cesar's car handle to 0 made the game think it was wrecked, I think since the screen went black but didn't crash.

Cleo is doing pretty much the same thing as the mission tweaks, but offers a little more fine control since all the mission tweaks must happen before starting the game. With cleo I have more options. A combination approach seems to offer the most flexibility.

DragonpokeZ

Mmmm... That's not promising at all. We'll have to find other shenanigans to unneed the cars. When they're unneeded, you said, only the Yellow Majestic was impoundable, right?

Also, any idea at all on what causes the blackout if Cesar's car gets destroyed?

Edited by DragonpokeZ

OrionSR

My reports that the YB Majestic is somehow different when impounding were not confirmed with my recent tests.

The blackout appears to occur in response to Cesar's death or his car being wrecked. I get similar results if his car handle is set to 0 but the car isn't wrecked. But when Cesar is pulled from the car after reaching his destination I didn't get a black screen, so I'm not entirely sure of the conditions. The mission failed routines include a fade out if CJ's car is not wrecked and there is no corresponding fade in.

More important is what to do about it. I was looking through what I think is the FPS script they use on Unique and Rare Transport Guide at GTA.ru. It looks like all it does is remove CJ from turret mode and allow him to move. I was thinking I might implement this in another cleo control script and add a fade in to fix black screen issue. The idea is to have a vehicle collection toolkit that can handle all the quirks of the mission vehicles and not just HSLR. It might be helpful to make a single tool script sort of like the Advance Car Control mod but for now I'm hammering out the technical details in single scripts.

And to that end, I finally figured out how to unlock every car. The standard controls don't work on mission vehicles, and I can't find a way to grab the handle of a mission vehicle without entering it, so the unlock code is what I needed to make a more generic set of tools. Once inside everything else is easy. I'll list a set of control tools already tested and a few other ideas. Please suggest anything I may be over looking that may be useful for other missions. I'm looking for tools that are not already standard on trainers.

Control Functions

• Current Vehicle
    • Unlocked, Locked *
    • Freeze and Unfreeze *
    • Need and Unneed *
    • Has Bomb
    • Make this a car generator
  • Player Settings
    • Exit Turret Mode *
    • Player Can Move *
    • Gang Recruitment Enabled
    • Warp to impound with return to origin
    • Drop this weapon here
  • Environmental Settings
    • Unlock all cars *
    • Clear Area near player *
    • Fade In from black *
    • Unlock all garages
    • Gangs spawn
    • Current zone is Grove
    • Riot toggle
    • Barriers down
    • Cars drive on water

Tools currently available in test form are marked with *.

Update: A test script has been added to clear up the black screen issues in HSLR, and also removes CJ from a turret and allows him to move. Please ask any coding questions in the modding topic. I have no further testing ideas and no additional coding strategies to offer at this time. My investigation is on hold pending additional information.

Update 2: Upon further investigation it appears we have the same basic cleo tools available as the vehicle hunters at GTA.ru. They're using two basic scripts, one for player can move and remove from turret, and another for unneeding any car that CJ enters.

Edited by OrionSR

DragonpokeZ

Well I formulate another hypothesis: Start the mission, unneed your car of choice and leave it where it is, fail the mission, start the mission again, and hope that the car got Impounded. How does it get Impounded? Because the AP Lowriders are a forced spawn, so (hopefully) they issue a clear area command where they're supposed to spawn and that command Impounds our lowrider! Of course, we would still need a way to unneed the cars... And we don't know if the cars do get Impounded, either

OrionSR

That should work. I ran a very similar test earlier once I had cleo control of my vehicles. The only thing you left out was that CJ needs to enter the car and then not enter any other car except the one used to start the mission. The main point of the test was to confirm that the races issue clear (small) area commands where they spawn their vehicle. Unneeding is the tricky part. I don't know of any way to pull it off without a cleo script or main editing.

I'm still considering and some sort of combo HUD/Editor for vehicle collectors.

DragonpokeZ

I confirmed this morning that destroying doesn't unneed by dragging the cars to a garage using the gravity gun and flipping them with SACC. The cars didn't get fixed, and failing the mission made the wrecks vanish anyways. Now, I did some testing with the Impounds. I somehow made CJ's car disappear with CJ still inside of it, and that caused a blackout similar to Cesar's blackout, except this time it fixed itself after respawning at a hospital

OrionSR

Gravity Gun? Awesome idea. Okay. I'll switch back to the collector vehicle control project since no one is in desperate need to replace their cargen pool at the moment, and testing is going to be a pain it the butt. So. you can use cleo scripts but can't compile your own? I'll try a cheat string strategy that should make it easy. Typing something like "unfreezecar" or "unneedcar" should be easier than managing hotkeys. The tricky one is unlocking a specific car as the code needs to activate while CJ is either in the car or trying to enter, so if he's locked out there isn't enough time to type in a cheat. I'm thinking maybe; holding Enter/Exit, however you've got it mapped, for more than 2 seconds to activate the unlocking script. Interested? What else would you need for this mission or others? I know people are still frustrated by the FI Leviathan.

Oh wait, maybe "unstickcar" so CJ doesn't get out mid-string.

Edited by OrionSR

DragonpokeZ

Mmmm... I'm thinking and thinking, and I think I got another way to solve the riddle. We don't need to unstuck or Impound or anything like that. We only need to unneed the cars, then the unstucking would be gone and we would be able to push the cars to a garage using the sawn-off shotguns. Think about it: every single car in a mission that's stuck has this property. The AP Bravura from Green Sabre, the AP FCR-900's from T-Bone Mendez, the AP Newsvan from Cut Throat Business...

So basically, I would only need a script/cheat/similars to unneed the cars. Then it's just a matter of pushing them :) (And of course finding a way to unneed them without using cheats/mods)

Lethal Vaccine

Don't forget the Greenwood being stuck to the ground! :D And the Unique RC Goblin in Wear Flowers in Your Hair. If you get it in AP form, it can be pushed with a Vehicle, but in regular form, it needs to be shot back and is stuck on the ground, too...

Edited by Militia

OrionSR

I've got something working for the basics in this mission; unlocking, unfreezing, unneeding, clear area and fade in, but I'm not sure what's needed for other missions. Based on the examples used on the Unique and Rare Transport guide I also added tools to remove the player from turret mode and to allow the player to move during cut-scenes. I also threw in a command to instantly remove CJ from a vehicle and to "clear all tasks," whatever that means.

I'm curious if any of these strategies will allow CJ to enter a jealous girlfriend's car. Those vehicles are marked as unjackable; CJ doesn't even go for the locks, so I'm not sure what to do about those cars just yet. Does this unjackable business come up for other special vehicles?

One more observation: I'm not sure that all hope is lost for unfreezing the cars. Sometimes, usually but not always when I'm teleporting to the race start, the vehicles get locked in place after I arrive, and sometimes never at all. I don't think I've got anything running that would be messing with this property. Anyway, I'm not sure what's up yet; just saying is all.

Lethal Vaccine

Yeah. EC Black Maverick in Interdiction is unjackable. CJ won't even acknowledge it. Hence why you need a Tow Truck and tow it to a Garage. Quite tricky Vehicle to get, glad I got it, though! :)

Edited by Militia

OrionSR

Special Vehicles Collector's Kit - Giving dropbox a try.

This tool kit is still in development; please offer suggestions and test reports. Questions and suggestions about coding (like an ini file for custom cheat strings) should be offered the Mission Tweaking topic; this discussion is about using the tools in game play. Do the tools work? What else is needed to help develop collection strategies?

Notes on Use: The script scans for "cheat strings" to trigger the various adjustments. Just type them in; they run once and stop. Enter again if needed.

Contact with Vehicle - The "get player vehicle" command used applies to vehicles CJ is in, entering, exiting, trying the locks, or in approach mode from an Enter command.

Instant Audio Events - A successful command should trigger an audio event. I'm searching for sounds that don't need to be loaded to play. Let me know if a sound appears to be missing - the sounds are another new thing I'm trying, so each cheat has a unique sound.

* The last 3 tools have not been tested in a mission, I just made sure the sound worked.

~VEHICLE_ENTER_EXIT~ (however you've got it mapped) - Hold for 1 second and be in contact with car when released.
UNLOCKALL - Unlock all vehicles currently on the map.

UNSTICKCAR - Unfreezes the car while avoiding the common "F" binding to exit the vehicle.
UNNEEDCAR - Mark as not needed by missions. Also unfreezes the car.

CLEARAREA - Clears a medium sized area around the player. Still searching for the not too big/not too small radius.
FADEIN - Clears black screen issues related to fading out.

CANMOVE - Player can move during cut-scenes. *
EXITTURRET - Detach the player from a car. *
CLEARTASKS - Instantly disembark from the vehicle. *

Edited by OrionSR

OG Viking

using the gravity gun

So you replaced CJ with Gordon Freeman huh. You need a crowbar too. :D

Good work guys. :^: I wish I could use all those software tools too, but I can't tell one from the other.

Lethal Vaccine

jealous girlfriend's car. Those vehicles are marked as unjackable; CJ doesn't even go for the locks.

Speaking of, I obtained Millie's AP Feltzer today on my Mobile Save which will be finished tomorrow or the following day, but this is the first time I ever saw one of the Girls get out and the Vehicle STAY proofed. This happened before on my OLD PS2 Save where Katie got out of the Romero, but it didn't keep the proofings. Furthermore, when Millie got out today, she closed the door. However, CJ was able to open the door and drive away...I guess what you mean is WHILE THEY ARE INSIDE the Vehicle CJ doesn't acknowledge the doors.