2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

The Trolling of Freemode Events: Share Your Stories

JoshD4PreZ

With The Freemode Events Update being out for almost a week now, I'm sure there have been many who let's just say, take pleasure in "ruining the fun" of others. This can range from a tremendous amount of different things. So, I'd like to see what the community has experienced, as well as preventative measures they now take, along with anything else you'd like to share. Have you been the greif-er, or grief-ee? Post below all the random sh*t that has happened to you during Freemode Events!

• Like 2

Tip #1: Don't even bother with moving target. Players are rewarded for blowing you up, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to avoid it. I drove a kuruma like 4 miles earlier untouched, and less than a quarter mile away from the delivery zone, some guy went off radar in a savage and spammed about 10 rockets before he finally blew me up. Complete waste of my time, as it has been every other time as well.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info @Potato Bizzle, I've only had one moving target that I messed up at the beginning in a small session, so I'll keep in mind next one that pops up.

Also, collecting air checkpoints, forget about doing it in anything other than a hydra or lazer. People not even participating fly around in hydra's and savage's to take out whoever is in first.

Same with driving in reverse and near misses, there's always someone who is flying in something trying to take out whoever is in first lol I had 80 some near misses with a minute left; only 30 behind the leader and I finally made it to the highway on my Ruffian. I started heading against traffic starting to catch the leader and BOOM I get taken out by someone in an aircraft lol.. I respawn far off the highway on a hill and by the time I got to another vehicle the event was ending hahha fml

I knew it :) It was to be only a matter of time before freemode events were ruined by the people the modes were created for. "People not even participating blow you up" See? I told you guys that this update would backfire. Rockstar does not know us at all, do they?

I've just given up and gone passive when things deteriorate into a mass-DM, which seems to be roughly 100% of the events. Why spend 10m fighting to get near a Faggio only for it to ALWAYS go sudden death?

If you're close when it starts, lucky you. If not - f*ck it.

• Like 2

I've just given up and gone passive when things deteriorate into a mass-DM, which seems to be roughly 100% of the events. Why spend 10m fighting to get near a Faggio only for it to ALWAYS go sudden death?

You're exactly right. Even if you're close sometimes you're still screwed. I just played a hot property, and the winners time was 27 seconds. 27 f*cking seconds. I came in 2nd place with 14 seconds. Less than half a minute that first dude got to grab the briefcase and try to run, before the entire Lobby was all over him. There were two in jets that obviously had no intentions of getting the briefcase, just making runs back and fourth taking everyone out. I ended up driving away a few minutes into it and I still got 2nd place, nobody could even touch the briefcase with the f*ckfest that was going on lol

Also had a collect air checkpoints where a dude in a hydra with a score of 1 checkpoint was just flying around taking everyone that was participating out of the picture lol I don't get it, do some people just suck at everything so bad they just figure "well f*ck it, if I can't do it, I'm not gonna let anyone else either" LOL

Seems I'm not the only one who gets out the hydra with the intention of spoiling the party!

Hot Property started earlier today, way up north in Paleto Bay. Only 2 gamers were there at the time (a crewmate and a random) so it was just those two killing each other. I was in the ghetto area of the city when I messaged my crewmate that I was on my way to help and jumped into my hydra.

Problem was, by the time I caught up to them, my crewmate had ignored my message (I really need to find a good crew) and discontinued the chase allowing the random to speed away and rack up an event-winning time. I still blew him up for sh*ts and giggles though.

What's Kill The Beast like?

FrugalDangerMan

Ive killed one beast using my savage. It was a fluke. I was trying to shoot him with the explosive rounds but was getting no where when I clipped a telephone poll, went upside down and crashed on top of him.

Its fun. You know youre close when you hear him snarling and growling.

I was in first place on a longest distance driving without crashing, then a competitor put a $9K bounty and called mercenaries on me. Spending $17K to maybe win $15K doesn't make much sense to me; but there is a reason I don't play owned weapons death matches, because you're up against these types of morons.

• Like 2

If the lobby is full or close to full, I kill with no intent of achieving the objective.

If the lobby is less than half full, and mostly white dots, I participate and try to win.

The funnest part of freemode events so far is helping a friend win them. I like to be the supporting firepower that helps them achieve the win by taking out the other competition so friends can win. No one has their eyes on me, only the leaderboard so killing them is almost stupid easy.

Overall, freemode events has given us more options for things to do. Participate, troll, grief, whatever.

And anyone who says that killing and frustrating other players during events is unfair should carefully read the rockstar announcements regarding freemode events. They openly advertise and encourage the chaos and destruction. They even suggest that showing up in a jet is a good idea, so here's a discount on Pegasus, etc.

Most of the events seem to be based more on luck than actual skill. The Kill lists are super annoying when it's only one vehicle, because the person who's closest gets it and anyone else gets nothing. King of the hill is the worst, if you don't get there first you lose. Once there's a few people there it's impossible to stay alive long enough to score because of the retarded spawning.

• Like 1

It's the best out of them all in my opinion. The only problem is that people love to grab savages and hydras. Helicopters are easy to dispose of, but the hydras either require a very lucky rocket hit or good sticky bomb throw to get rid of.

I have only been the beast once and it was fun. Some guy chased me down with a savage and blew up my t20 (you can use personal vehicles) but it only did half damage to my health, so I shot him down and then took off. Some guy then followed me down into the subway tunnels but he conveniently had a 7k bounty on him so I blew him up.

It's also pretty nerve racking once you get down a few checkpoints left, because the more you hit, the longer you stay on the map after hitting one. The last 5 or so you're looking at least 10 seconds of being on the map each time, which is not good when there are air vehicles after you.

professor-brainiac

It's the best out of them all in my opinion. The only problem is that people love to grab savages and hydras. Helicopters are easy to dispose of, but the hydras either require a very lucky rocket hit or good sticky bomb throw to get rid of.

I have only been the beast once and it was fun. Some guy chased me down with a savage and blew up my t20 (you can use personal vehicles) but it only did half damage to my health, so I shot him down and then took off. Some guy then followed me down into the subway tunnels but he conveniently had a 7k bounty on him so I blew him up.

It's also pretty nerve racking once you get down a few checkpoints left, because the more you hit, the longer you stay on the map after hitting one. The last 5 or so you're looking at least 10 seconds of being on the map each time, which is not good when there are air vehicles after you.

You seem to have this beast thing all figured out. You must be quite the ladies man.

I've felt thoroughly trolled by Rockstar on "Hold the Wheel". I expected time-based scoring, akin to "Hot Property". Held a racing bicycle for maybe about 3 minutes, second best player had it for maybe a minute. I got shot off in the last 15 seconds, then sudden death and it was won by someone who hadn't been on the thing at all before. Ok, I won't be playing that one again.

I've won "Moving Target" twice, both times it was a heli (Swift and Frogger), definitely more durable than normal as the Frogger survived a single homing missile. There was no-one in the air at the time, otherwise I probably wouldn't have stood a chance. The one time I tried to intercept one, it came out of the tunnel on the northeast corner on the map and I was shocked to see that it was a Insurgent pick-up. Ok, I wasn't fooling with that thing, just drove off with a few extra bullet holes.

I've only been in a session with "Kill the Beast" once, and only for a few seconds before 2/3 of the lobby left (from my POV) and "The event was canceled".

• Like 2

but_youre_black

I've played pinned once, and somehow a hydra counts as a land vehicle, so we couldn't hit him and then would squish us thus pushing us out when the circle got small enough and won

meh... I don't care about money, i take part in any free roam event i enjoy. Getting trolled just means i stop what im doing and then troll the troller instead which is just as fun.

Nothing is more enjoyable then out trolling a simple minded troll. And i stress simple minded as anyone who attacks people cheaply is usually stupid, predictable and easy to out smart.

You seem to have this beast thing all figured out. You must be quite the ladies man.

Bahaha

Lol ok so my favorite from now on is hunt the beast. I accidentally killed someone else with my carbine rifle when what seemed like the entire lobby finally cornered the beast. It was a clusterf*ck and everyone was in a small area. well, I got 2 messages afterwards from the guy I killed saying:

"I seriously pray that you and your whole family contract and die a slow death from cancer, you pat"

Whatever the f*ck a pat is?

"Slow, horrible, painful, death, cancer, you, your entire family, especially you"

f*ck I thought I got p*ssed off when someone ruined my fun, he really wanted to kill that beast. Like had his heart set on it, and I came along n broke it.. I told him I thought he was the beast lmao

I'll post a screenshot and maybe even a video for entertainment, things escalated quickly hahah

Edited by JoshD4PreZ
  • Like 1

DentureDynamite
I knew it :) It was to be only a matter of time before freemode events were ruined by the people the modes were created for. "People not even participating blow you up" See? I told you guys that this update would backfire. Rockstar does not know us at all, do they?

Actually, the problem is that R* couldn't be bothered to actually play in public sessions; they only "playtest" with other R* studios. <-- Root problem right here.

I've won "Moving Target" twice, both times it was a heli (Swift and Frogger), definitely more durable than normal as the Frogger survived a single homing missile. There was no-one in the air at the time, otherwise I probably wouldn't have stood a chance.

Happened to me as well--also with a Frogger (got knocked to the ground, but managed to fly away...was actually worried that people would report me as a script kiddie). Moving Target vehicles are either buffed or indestructible (probably the latter) in order to actually allow it to finish out the allotted time.

IMO, the best way to play freemode events is to stick with small sessions (below 10 people). Everything but "Hunt the Beast" (10 players required) should be viable, and you have a better chance of actually completing/winning something (barring script kiddies and griefers in your small session).

But as we all know, session sizes fluctuate, so luck is your only ally...otherwise, it's "spend more time in the cloud simulator" as you session hop (yeah, loads of fun, that).

Edited by DentureDynamite

Actually, the problem is that R* couldn't be bothered to actually play in public sessions; they only "playtest" with other R* studios. <-- Root problem right here.

So, you are telling me that Rockstar has hardly ever played in lobbies with other people that THEY CREATED? What's the point in being a developer if you do not even bother to actually test the servers you give your customers. I smell a fishy case of MONEY GRABBING SYNDROME.

Sorry, i did not know how to delete that quote box. Backspace did not work :D

Edited by Frankiepies

Amen to that. They consistently overestimate their audience, probably because there's not ten 12-year-olds in their dev team.

• Like 1

Amen to that. They consistently overestimate their audience, probably because there's not ten 12-year-olds in their dev team.

It's not fun but drama that keeps the game kicking...

They know about 12 year olds.

Also, grabbing the case in Delivery and going Red October in the Pacific. The drama on the shore is worth every rebreather.

Edited by Alvarez
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
DentureDynamite
And anyone who says that killing and frustrating other players during events is unfair should carefully read the rockstar announcements regarding freemode events. They openly advertise and encourage the chaos and destruction. They even suggest that showing up in a jet is a good idea, so here's a discount on Pegasus, etc.

Then, they have a category for reporting "Griefing" players.

Makes total sense.

Pardon me while I hurl all over their Freemode events...

Edited by DentureDynamite

The best thing is combining trolling with participating.

I was already harassing the lobby in a lazer when reverse flying showed up, i decided to give it a try.

Above the highway near sandy shore i did my run, then other people tried to get a plane and i blew them up, as much as i can, before they could take of, then i saw this guy almost breaking my record, time was running out! After searching the map it was a plane flying (upside down) near Zancudo, before it broke my record i was able to locate the 'Mallard' and gun it down, now that was satisfaction :)

Edited by Foppezão

I stil need to know how people do the best speed record in a vehicle, do they drive of a mountain?

Ive seen people getting 170 or something..

Edited by Foppezão

Tip #1: Don't even bother with moving target. Players are rewarded for blowing you up, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to avoid it. I drove a kuruma like 4 miles earlier untouched, and less than a quarter mile away from the delivery zone, some guy went off radar in a savage and spammed about 10 rockets before he finally blew me up. Complete waste of my time, as it has been every other time as well.

It counts as a win for them but the reward is minimal with only $500.

Source: Blew one up myself.

Also, grabbing the case in Delivery and going Red October in the Pacific. The drama on the shore is worth every rebreather.

I'll consider this myself next time... with a proper sub.

I stil need to know how people do the best speed record in a vehicle, do they drive of a mountain?

Ive seen people getting 170 or something..

This is a griefing thread! You should be doing 200+ in the sky while they struggle to hit 150 on the ground dodging your furious cannons.

But to answer you, certain bikes and cars can hit amazing speeds (by GTA standards anyway) under certain circumstances. A slammed Rapid GT, for example, can hit ~170.

Edited by Mattoropael

PuReBrEdBoris69

That was me who got you bro, homing rocket just got your t20. you got the bounty on me tho!! Edited by PuReBrEdBoris69

I've played Hunt The Beast a few times now. I called up my hydra to stand a chance of locating the beast and have taken it out twice.

The other times, the beast has won because the hunters rather foolishly hunted each other!