3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Licensed Cars in GTA Series

Goldenhawk5219

TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Well, it's pretty expensive to licence so many cars and car bands, plus. The aim of the GTA series is to be a satire of real life, so the cars are purposely satires of real life cars. It allows Rockstar to create their own world instead of the game jarringly slightly blending into our reality.

Basically, it's because it's expensive and because of creative liberties and being part of the GTA lore and tradition. Rockstar already established their own in game car brands so I doubt they would ever bother using real car brands.

Goldenhawk5219

And you can't say "well it's because it's too expensive" because Rockstar has already made two Midnight Club games with licensed cars and Rockstar can definitely afford it and they know they would make even more money due to the fan base going crazy on the idea of licensed cars in a GTA game. Also it is useless to say "well the car companies don't want their vehicles represented in a game of crime" or "well they don't want their vehicles misrepresented" because there are already game companies who featured licensed vehicles in violent games such as, True Crime: Streets of L.A, True Crime: New York City, The Getaway, The Getaway: Black Monday, Gangs of London, Wheelman, and probably other violent games that feature licensed vehicles. Does anyone have any other reason becides the ones I mentioned?

Well, it's pretty expensive to licence so many cars and car bands, plus. The aim of the GTA series is to be a satire of real life, so the cars are purposely satires of real life cars. It allows Rockstar to create their own world instead of the game jarringly slightly blending into our reality.

Basically, it's because it's expensive and because of creative liberties and being part of the GTA lore and tradition. Rockstar already established their own in game car brands so I doubt they would ever bother using real car brands.

Thank you very nuch! So I guess its because Rockstar wants to create their own world with their own vehicles as a paridy I guess. Thank u so much!!! Edited by Goldenhawk5219

Another reason is that the Manufacturers would demand the removal of running over Pedestrians, as they would not want their Vehicles to have that association.

• Like 4

slimeball supreme

I think it helps with the atmosphere of satire/fiction. You have all these fake brands, like Burger Shot or Sprunk, in a fictional city like Los Santos. They are of course named this for satirical reasons, but I personally don't think it'd be fitting to have real brands in a fake world.

Edited by Mr. Fahrenheit
  • Like 1

Sge6QaD.png yURtluV.png

Goldenhawk5219

Another reason is that the Manufacturers would demand the removal of running over Pedestrians, as they would not want their Vehicles to have that association.

There are already games that feature many licensed cars that you can run over people with.

You know Driver 2?I played that game back when I was a kid,it was impossible to run over people there,they would always jump out of the way.You can see it a few times in this video:

Homemade Dynamite

If the cars were licensed, they wouldn't be able to have them be fully destroyed. Car companies demand their cars not be damaged too much when their cars are in the game. For example, Driver had fully destructible cars in when they were fictional, while San Francisco, which used licensed cars, had indestructible vehicles that could only be slightly damaged.

universetwisters

I don't think Toyota would be too pleased with the fact that their cars are depicted as getaway vehicles.

Also OP, why're you so adamant on GTA having licensed cars? That and where did you get the idea that both the True Crime games had licensed cars? Last I checked, they made up their own like GTA.

I second Universetwisters.

No offense, but is it some kind of OCD thing? Like, having a great itch driving a car that looks, sounds and drives like Porsche, but being a 'silly Comet' instead? When looking at mods appearing for GTA games, there is a lot of real brand cars, but i can imagine that is because it's easier to rip a car from other game than build one from the scratch.

For me, having a car with real brand in GTA universe feels out of place, same as having any real brand in game at all, because all GTA brands have that dirty wit in it and by replacing, for example, Sprunk with Sprite would take this wit out. Someone might feel relief that 'this longer pencil have become the same length as the others in the row', but not me.

Ask yourself, since the cities and all the worlds in GTA are made-up parodies of the real-life American cities, including parodies of real-life movies, real-life celebreties, real-life websites and whatnot, why would they feature real-life cars? It would earn Rockstar a million lawsuits for one, and there is no point of real-life vehicles and bikes anyway. Modders have always made real-life cars for GTA games if that's what you're into.

The only thing "real" in the GTA games are the licensed songs, the artists who pefrorm them, and couple of real-life celebrity DJ's :catloaf:

Edited by BlackSnow176

Goldenhawk5219

If the cars were licensed, they wouldn't be able to have them be fully destroyed. Car companies demand their cars not be damaged too much when their cars are in the game. For example, Driver had fully destructible cars in when they were fictional, while San Francisco, which used licensed cars, had indestructible vehicles that could only be slightly damaged.

Not really true. There are multitudes of car games that feature licensed vehicles that you damage alot like Forza Motorsport, Driver San Francisco, The Crew, Car Game new PC game and a bunch of others. Also multiple movies that have cars crash all the time. So its a fallacy to say "well car companies don't want their cars represented in media where crashing their car is involved". Edited by Goldenhawk5219
  • Like 1

Goldenhawk5219

Ask yourself, since the cities and all the worlds in GTA are made-up parodies of the real-life American cities, including parodies of real-life movies, real-life celebreties, real-life websites and whatnot, why would they feature real-life cars? It would earn Rockstar a million lawsuits for one, and there is no point of real-life vehicles and bikes anyway. Modders have always made real-life cars for GTA games if that's what you're into.

The only thing "real" in the GTA games are the licensed songs, the artists who pefrorm them, and couple of real-life celebrity DJ's :catloaf:

How would that earn them alot of lawsuits?

I don't think Toyota would be too pleased with the fact that their cars are depicted as getaway vehicles.

Also OP, why're you so adamant on GTA having licensed cars? That and where did you get the idea that both the True Crime games had licensed cars? Last I checked, they made up their own like GTA.

No. Both True Crime games had real licensed vehicles in the games.

And BTW i got the idea because I own both games on my Original Xbox and have played them. Believe me, they have real life vehicles in them. Just watch some gameplay footage on both of them and ull see. The last time u checked? I don't think u checked AT ALL Edited by Goldenhawk5219

universetwisters

No. Both True Crime games had real licensed vehicles in the games...And BTW i got the idea because I own both games on my Original Xbox and have played them. Believe me, they have real life vehicles in them. Just watch some gameplay footage on both of them and ull see. The last time u checked? I don't think u checked AT ALL

...I never saw a BMW called "3.2L V6 Sedan". I hope you're not dumb enough to think that either these are real life cars, or that just because a car looks like it's real life counterpart, that automatically means it's licensed. But if you are, it explains a lot.

Also multiple movies that have cars crash all the time. So its a fallacy to say "well car companies don't want their cars represented in media where crashing their car is involved".

Then why did Volkswagen get all pissy when the Transformers movie came out and they were gonna make Bumblebee into a Transformer or however that went? Car makers can read the script and see whether or not they want their vehicles used in a movie. Video games, especially sandbox ones like GTA, anything can happen to them. There's a difference between merely seeing a car on a screen and interacting with it within a game.

Edited by universetwisters

Acquiring the right to the real car manufacturers isn't that easy and wouldn't be worth it. R* would have to either resign from many car manufacturers or buy right to use them from different companies(Porsche Licence is in the hands of EA and Ferrari in the hands of Turn10 for example). Additionally Ferrari for example doesn't want their cars to be used in game depicting law breaking (that's why Ferrari wasn't present in many recent games, except pure racing games). Imagine the kids crying where are their beloved cars.

And of course you couldn't blow any of the real cars (Driver SF featured fictional car in the scene where it was blown up for example) and the damage would be rather limited (broken windshields, maybe bumpers falling off, but that would be it very likely).

The cars already look like their real-life counterparts, for the most part. There's no reason to slap a real-life badge on the cars. Anyways, I know a lot of people who refer to GTA cars with their counterparts' names.

Doesn't make a lot of sense. Damage is more important in such games. it's like saying put licensed car in carmageddon or mad max...

It won't happen anyway.

Edited by Versous

There's an unwritten rule. GTA universe has all fictional brands and it creates a satirical world, which I quite like. Then when it comes out for PC, people make real car/brand mods.

Goldenhawk5219

No. Both True Crime games had real licensed vehicles in the games...And BTW i got the idea because I own both games on my Original Xbox and have played them. Believe me, they have real life vehicles in them. Just watch some gameplay footage on both of them and ull see. The last time u checked? I don't think u checked AT ALL

...I never saw a BMW called "3.2L V6 Sedan". I hope you're not dumb enough to think that either these are real life cars, or that just because a car looks like it's real life counterpart, that automatically means it's licensed. But if you are, it explains a lot.

Also multiple movies that have cars crash all the time. So its a fallacy to say "well car companies don't want their cars represented in media where crashing their car is involved".

Then why did Volkswagen get all pissy when the Transformers movie came out and they were gonna make Bumblebee into a Transformer or however that went? Car makers can read the script and see whether or not they want their vehicles used in a movie. Video games, especially sandbox ones like GTA, anything can happen to them. There's a difference between merely seeing a car on a screen and interacting with it within a game.

You OBVIOUSLY are sooo stupid and ignorant and have NEVER played the game you moron. Here are the licensed vehicles in the two games: True Crime - Streets of L.A.:http://www.igcd.net/...8918&PHPSESSID=, and True Crime: New York: http://www.igcd.net/....php?id=462582. Both of the True Crime games have real life cars and there is no way you can possibly deny it. I have the two games and have played them both. True Crime L.A. has vehicles such as the Ford Crown Victoria and Honda S2000 and the other game has the Crown Victoria as well as Ford Gt and Dodge Caravan. Go play the games. Youtube it and watch some gameplay footage. They aren't look alikes, they are the REAL life vehicles featured in those two games. And those two games aren't the ONLY games with real life vehicles that feature running over people and violence. There's Wheelman that has cars like the BMW M5 and the Fiat 500, the two Getaway games for PS2 has European vehicles like the 1985 Honda Accord Series III and the 2002 Citroën C8, and even the new violent Mad Max game that just came out has real life cars!!!!! Cars such as the Ford Landau 1973, 1973 Ford Falcon XB GT Coupe, 1980 Ford F350, and many other real life cars you moron!!! It's so funny to sit here and watch you ramble on about how you have this knowledge of games that you have no clue of.

Now when it comes to the Volkswagon thing. I have no idea, I don't even know if what you said was legit because I tried googling about what you claimed and I don't see it, but even if it were true so what? That was just one and even if there were more than just the Volkswagon contreversy in Transformers movie, that doesn't mean that car makers don't like their cars being featured in violent movies. There are literally thouasands of movies shot in real time with REAL cars featured in car chases, car crashing, shootings, explosions and more, such as: The Transporter Series, National Treasure Series, Driv3r: Run The Gauntlet, Die Hard, The Terminator Series, The Fast and The Furious Series and many more. That was probably one issue because the producers or whoever was filming the movie probably didn't ask permission from Volkswagon to have their vehicles in it or even if that wasn't the casem, I have no idea because I can't even find any info about it unless you can show me. Either way you can't possibly deny the facts.

Edited by Goldenhawk5219

Having an extremely similar car design doesn't mean it's a licensed car if it doesn't have a real car badge.

For example:
21030216802_f23eacb41c_h.jpg

It's Super V8 (unlicensed Holden Commodore V8 Supercars) from Game Stock Car Extreme. Yes, it's exactly looked like Holden Commodore, but it doesn't have Holden badge nor official livery whatsoever, so you can't say it's a licensed car.

And I guess you don't know how IGCD works.

• Like 2

universetwisters

You're either a really good troll or just a dolt. I'm guessing like, what the above said, you have no clue whatsoever on how IGCD works. If that's the case, want licensed cars in GTA? Go look up Vice City. They have all the real life cars you want just the perfect place to go act like a turkey.

Speaking of, yes, I know The Getaway used licensed cars for whatever reason, but True Crime didn't. How to people with common sense know this? They actually pay closer attention to the game to see that a car is labeled as a ford, rather than a generic fake brand or lacking one altogether. So since you're so adamant on it, find me proof that True Crime uses real life logos and brands for their cars (here's a hint - you won't). Give it a go before you flip out like a child who thinks they're hot sh*t again.

Edited by universetwisters

Given the amount of vehicles that are in a Grand Theft Auto game, it would cost a sh*t-ton of money to license them all. Besides, I like the fact that there are fictional vehicles and vehicles brands. It aids the fact that there's a Grand Theft Auto "universe", which is satirical to that of the real world. Anyway, it's up to R* to decide what they want to do.