2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

GTA V got a great open world map but...

Versous

I got the game ever since the PS3 release and Looking back at how i played & explored the game I wish they would've made a bigger physical land map that gives you a better sense of real traversal or a better feeling of driving onto a huge mountain instead of the whole underwater sections. I know there are some people that may complain about 'empty' spaces then but guess what the ocean isn't exactly a 'filled' space. I still think that the rivers are really cool and add a lot to the map so if water is used like that it is fine to me.

Don't get me wrong, i love the 'speedophile' and boat races on the sea and stuff like that. Those are really fun in MP and SP but I rarely was underwater apart from that very cool 'nuke' mission. I don't even think I ever really encounterd a shark just because I don't really care.

I hope GTA VI will have more land overall.

I always appreciate open spaces with a wide variety of landscape and geography to explore, look at and admire. They don't have to be filled with things to do, but only sit there only for exploration and giving the world the qualities of expansiveness and seclusion. Had Red Dead Redemption been stripped off its expanses, it wouldn't have had the same impact on the player.

Then there's Grand Theft Auto V, which despite having a well-crafted landscape, it fails miserably at creating the illusion of seclusion and expansiveness.

slimeball supreme

I think the underwater was massively wasted, Rockstar didnt capitalize on all the opportunities that the ocean had. Oh well.

All I'm hoping for now in regards to the ocean is a car that acts as a submarine and a plane. That'd be neat.

Sge6QaD.png yURtluV.png

I think the underwater was massively wasted, Rockstar didnt capitalize on all the opportunities that the ocean had. Oh well.

All I'm hoping for now in regards to the ocean is a car that acts as a submarine and a plane. That'd be neat.

To be honest I think the underwater was a massive waste of memory, if by adding that, they had to cut other stuff. I have never explored the sea other than missions etc. Zero interest.

Map is huge, perfectly happy with the map, just hopefully in future few more interiors unlock, and in Paleto Bay, I think that's most people's gripe.

• Like 1

The ocean is sort of disappointing and bland but it doesn't stop my friends and I from hopping into a sub from time to time to explore.

So many resources were wasted on this game, but this was the biggest. Other then swimming away from cops there's no real reason for underwater, unless of course you like collecting Nuclear Waste/hidden weapons. They also should've scaled back the TV/Movies/Internet, bc once you see whats on there once, theres no real incentive to re-read a faux internet article.

This is map is a garbage, they could have done so much with it :barf: , just take a look to the density of the vegetation, the variety of the landscape, there was one of these potential, oh menl; even RDR on Oldgen is like 20 times better, you can feel it, feel the map, the environments but not in GTA V or not as much like RDR but anyway, for the ocean I was so disappointed, also for this part they could have done much much better, like some crashed plan with some cocaine inside and skeletons, or even a sea monster or other things, finally youre bored very quickly.

For come back to the landscape, vegetation etc, take a look at this screenshots from an early version of the game:

HighwayStretch2.jpg?format=1500w

Can you feel this thing ? we feel that were leaving the city, leaving Los Santos, were on our way to the nowhere, we can feel the same thing in RDR, must also come from the fact that these screenshots were taken on the old engine but men, this is so amazing, I cant feel this anymore on the final version, the final game is so plastic.

Just for the pleasure:

PowerplantEnvironment2.jpg?format=1500w

RailwayEnvironment1.jpg?format=1500w

ResearchAreaEnvironment.jpg?format=1500w

HighwayStretch4.jpg?format=1500w

CountryTerrain.jpg?format=1500w

GasStationEnvironment.jpg?format=1500w

Anyway, I dont know if you know what I mean guys, but f*ck I miss these sort of fealings, when V came out that was the first thing that disappointed me a lot.

Edited by cry_wolf

SmokesWithCigs

this subject has been discussed so many times.

the problem with the ocean is they turned off all the damn money cases that gave me no reason to explore. it is haunting though and the tenseness and danger when a shark comes near hightens the danger. their should have been more hostile or predatory creatures in the sea. maybe some poisonous jelly fish or humbolt squid or the hammer heads could have been hostile also.

Edited by SmokesWithCigs
  • Like 2

This is map is a garbage, they could have done so much with it :barf: , just take a look to the density of the vegetation, the variety of the landscape, there was one of these potential, oh menl; even RDR on Oldgen is like 20 times better, you can feel it, feel the map, the environments but not in GTA V or not as much like RDR but anyway, for the ocean I was so disappointed, also for this part they could have done much much better, like some crashed plan with some cocaine inside and skeletons, or even a sea monster or other things, finally youre bored very quickly.

For come back to the landscape, vegetation etc, take a look at this screenshots from an early version of the game:

Can you feel this thing ? we feel that were leaving the city, leaving Los Santos, were on our way to the nowhere, we can feel the same thing in RDR, must also come from the fact that these screenshots were taken on the old engine but men, this is so amazing, I cant feel this anymore on the final version, the final game is so plastic.

Just for the pleasure:

Anyway, I dont know if you know what I mean guys, but f*ck I miss these sort of fealings, when V came out that was the first thing that disappointed me a lot.

GTA V has more things going on than RDR. RDR looks empty as hell just like MGSV. No joke.

I feel that no ocean = 'why is the water really sh*t? You can't swim underwater, it's completely dead, rockstar really wasted an opportunity with the ocean, we could have had realistic things with marine wildlife, but instead we get another pointless ocean. Nothing beats S.A's ocean, finding clam shells, amazing'. So that's good.

Im sure some think you shouldn't be able to swim, going in water should kill you instantly. Because that's not annoying, it's retro.

Edited by CarlitoDorito

Just for the pleasure:

GTA V has more things going on than RDR. RDR looks empty as hell just like MGSV. No joke.

I love mgsV but tbh GTA has city PEDs, buildings, huge variety of vehicles, radio, etc. So while complaints about vegetation are valid, mgsv and RDR don't have to render an entire metropolitan area.

Official General

The actual natural environments on the map look beautiful and amazing, as does Los Santos. The problem is that the map design was poor. Too much mountainous and hilly terrain, very little to no real forest, LS was too clustered with not enough urban sprawl and variation of districts. Basically, a majority of the map was wasted, with not much happening, and to see or do on most of it.

Then there is still also the big problem LS's lack of interiors and ped activity in the streets, especially with the gangs.

• Like 7

Can I just add that the San Chianski/Palomino Highlands actually serve a purpose, sort of. When at ground level, they hide the fact that ocean exists where technically there shouldn't be any. The space may be under-utilized and "pointless", but at least they create the impression of the land extending on instead of just abruptly ending. Kinda adds to the realism. Of course, whether you actually agree it was a good idea is subject to opinion. Many would prefer an expansive forest or larger desert. I would have preferred that to, quite honestly.

Personally I like the underwater. I may not intentionally go underwater often, but the fact it's there adds to the immersion. After all, underwater in SA was just ugly and in IV the lack of underwater swimming was a tad annoying.

• Like 4

Just for the pleasure:

More things goi.. Are you serious ? Empty ? any NPCs stray to their occupation, discusses; just with his small and medium towns RDR definitely does not look empty, can you explain more why he looks empty ? And for MGS V I think this is off-topic.

Just for the pleasure:

I love mgsV but tbh GTA has city PEDs, buildings, huge variety of vehicles, radio, etc. So while complaints about vegetation are valid, mgsv and RDR don't have to render an entire metropolitan area.

'RDR don't have to render an entire metropolitan area.' What ? Men, RDR displays so many element to the screen as it feels on the FPS almost all the time, but still we have some f*cking environments and the map is amazing (remember this is on OG), yeah he dont have to render an entire city like L.S and what ? GTA V could have display everything RDR display in addition to a metropolis, on the NG of course. So this is not an excuse, it's just laziness Rockstar at its highest.

Edited by cry_wolf
  • Like 1

slimeball supreme

Can I just add that the San Chianski/Palomino Highlands actually serve a purpose, sort of. When at ground level, they hide the fact that ocean exists where technically there shouldn't be any. The space may be under-utilized and "pointless", but at least they create the impression of the land extending on instead of just abruptly ending. Kinda adds to the realism. Of course, whether you actually agree it was a good idea is subject to opinion. Many would prefer an expansive forest or larger desert. I would have preferred that to, quite honestly.

Personally I like the underwater. I may not intentionally go underwater often, but the fact it's there adds to the immersion. After all, underwater in SA was just ugly and in IV the lack of underwater swimming was a tad annoying.

I don't necessarily get all the mountain complaints. Sure, I would prefer more space, but this is Southern Cali after all. It just sucks that they keep saying that this place was built on a desert WHEN THERE BARELY WAS A DESERT.

I also agree on your point about it hiding the water in the east side of the map - most of it is there just for gameplay reasons.

But I have to say one thing: why would you want to swim underwater in the dirty Hudson River?

• Like 1

Sge6QaD.png yURtluV.png

Official General

@ MrFahrenheit

Yeah you have a point, in real life, the area around LA in Southern California is not 'desert' as such, but more semi-arid, dry scrublands or chaparral. However, a lot of it around LA is still flat open space, of which there is not much in V. Hence why many people complain about too much mountainous terrain. The issue of lack of real forests is undeniable. Even if V had too much mountains, I'd be able to handle that a lot more if the city of LS was much bigger, more varied, had more interiors and more life to it - but it was not. There should have been more smaller towns too, with more things happening. I'm not too bothered about the wilderness in GTA, its a game supposed to be mostly about crime and set in urban envornments, but if it's gonna be there it should be done properly, and I just feel that Rockstar really wasted a lot of the map and it's such a shame, because the environments looked amazing. I did like the underwater sections in V, it was well done, but the more important stuff like LS should have been done better first. I agree, IV needed no underwater section, nothing to see in the murky underwater around NYC.

Edited by Official General
  • Like 2

Just for the pleasure:

Have you played trough RDR? Because i think the map is fantastic and beautiful (at times) for what it is and what was possible on last-gen and fits the time period. But RDR 2 should be bigger in size to give a better feel of traversal. I heard people complaining about MGSV but I think thats a whole different topic.

as others said in GTA V, it's a kinda a wasted opportunity.

I don't necessarily get all the mountain complaints. Sure, I would prefer more space, but this is Southern Cali after all. It just sucks that they keep saying that this place was built on a desert WHEN THERE BARELY WAS A DESERT.

I also agree on your point about it hiding the water in the east side of the map - most of it is there just for gameplay reasons.

But I have to say one thing: why would you want to swim underwater in the dirty Hudson River?

Why would anyone want to swim underwater in the Alamo? :pp

I dunno, after SA got underwater swimming I probably expected subsequent titles to have it as well..... Thinking back, it probably wasn't really suitable for Liberty. Honestly, I'm amazed that Niko/Luis/Johnny didn't die of some horrible disease after swimming in the waters around LC....

Even if V had too much mountains, I'd be able to handle that a lot more if the city of LS was much bigger, more varied, had more interiors and more life to it - but it was not.

I personally felt that Los Santos was a pretty decent size - R* certainly did a good job of condensing LA down for LS. My only real issue is the lack of suburban sprawl that LA has. LS should of had another Mirror Park-type district, as there is really only one middle-class housing area in comparison to the upper class (Vespucci/Del Perro/Rockford/Vinewood Hills etc) and the lower class (Strawberry/Davis/Chamberlain Hills etc) areas. Of course, the lack of interiors is a little disappointing.

I always appreciate open spaces with a wide variety of landscape and geography to explore, look at and admire. They don't have to be filled with things to do, but only sit there only for exploration and giving the world the qualities of expansiveness and seclusion. Had Red Dead Redemption been stripped off its expanses, it wouldn't have had the same impact on the player.

Then there's Grand Theft Auto V, which despite having a well-crafted landscape, it fails miserably at creating the illusion of seclusion and expansiveness.

It's not supposed to, really. It's a mini map with the big areas highlighted.

It's like a cartoon map come to life. Obviously there isn't enough processing power on consoles to create an actual real world sized map so, they have to create the important areas and leave the unimportant ones out still. Obviously everyone would like some more "In between" areas, but compared to the previous maps for GTA games this one is by far the best and most realistic just by the sheer amount of "In Between" they have included as fluff around the main areas.

If GTA was all across the US in this version we would get the major cities highlighted, the landmarks, and some short roads to traverse in between. it would be a simple representation of the US Map because that's all they can fit right now.

It will only improve from here as it always has.

Instead of making the map one big oval island, they should have made a vertical split from the top of Paleto Bay down to Sandy Shores, forcing players to choose which northern area to travel to by land.

Where is this from?

Where is this from?

Looks like some GTA IV map mod.

I'd prefer not a bigger land map but more interactions and things to do in a given map.

V map is way bigger than it should have been. The massiveness soon becomes boring and annoying to travel since the game has nothing to offer in terms of interesting content that matches the scale of its huge world. In fact, even GTA SA map has a lot to offer in comparison to Vs map. GTA SA has the best map in the series. Its a complete package.

Vs map often gives me the feeling of being quite lonely in this big world, more lifeless, and just boring overall.

• Like 2

slimeball supreme

In all honesty I preferred this map to GTA:SA.

• Like 2

Sge6QaD.png yURtluV.png