2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

[PC] GTA V ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT error

Hugo_Agante

One week ago or so as I was cruising around LS, suddenly the game freezes and the ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT error comes up. At first I thought it could be due to the fact I was running Fraps in the background so I didn't give much importance to it.

But today in GTA Online this error happened to me 3 times already!!!! I even tried lowering to DirectX 10 but nothing, the error showed up again. I'm not gonna slower my GPU clock speed because this is not the way to fix it, we shouldn't need to do that.

My specs are:

RAM: 8GB
GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 285 Strix OC 2GB
CPU: AMD FX-6300 (stock)
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0
PSU: Nox NX 650W
I don't remember if with the AMD drivers 15.7.1 this error showed up to me but with the 15.8 Beta it already happened 4 times counting the one from last week or so. It might be a driver issue as well. If so I can't wait for AMD to release new drivers as going back to 15.7.1 now is a lot of work.
Is there anything I could do rather than wait for a driver or reinstall the game? I have the retail version but still is like 6 hours to install... And I don't feel like doing it specially because I'm updating to Windows 10 soon and then I had to reinstall the game once again.
This is something R* should have fixed long ago!!!
Any feedback would be much appreciated! :)
SCROLL DOWN TO LAST POST TO SEE UPDATE PLEASE!!!
Edited by Hugo_Agante

I just tried searching that error and found this...

http://gtaforums.com/topic/785007-bug-list-with-solutions-pc/?p=1067414001

I also found this thread with alot of suggestions.. http://gtaforums.com/topic/790269-err-gfx-d3d-init/?hl=err_gfx_d3d_init

Realize these are all from back right after the game was released-- and the problems these people were having could have been resolved with patches or what not... Not a lot of recent posts on this...

It may be pertinent (for others) where you purchased/downloaded the game from...

As I mentioned in your other thread-- this is far from my area of expertise... I do wish you luck..

Spuds

PS.. while you can do a fresh install of windows 10 if you do the "Normal" upgrade-- you can overwrite your current windows installation-- the game should still work upgrading this method (without a reinstall) however I do not know for sure-- nearly all of my programs worked ok after upgrading-- upgrading this way allows you to revert to your previous version of windows if you have issues (you have 30 days to revert-- it does not take long (I've done it twice)-- it is pretty much like doing a system restore..

After the upgrade you also have and option of reseting windows 10 (which is like doing a fresh install of windows 10 on top of the upgraded install)-- you cannot revert after doing this... I had to do this with one of our PCs after experienceing issues with Net Nanny (a PC used by my kids) that I could not solve without doing so.

7744.png

"I want to design a video game where you take care of all the people shot in all the

other video games.... It's called Busy Hospital II" -- Demetri Martin

RIP BDP

I just tried searching that error and found this...

http://gtaforums.com/topic/785007-bug-list-with-solutions-pc/?p=1067414001

I also found this thread with alot of suggestions.. http://gtaforums.com/topic/790269-err-gfx-d3d-init/?hl=err_gfx_d3d_init

Realize these are all from back right after the game was released-- and the problems these people were having could have been resolved with patches or what not... Not a lot of recent posts on this...

It may be pertinent (for others) where you purchased/downloaded the game from...

As I mentioned in your other thread-- this is far from my area of expertise... I do wish you luck..

Spuds

PS.. while you can do a fresh install of windows 10 if you do the "Normal" upgrade-- you can overwrite your current windows installation-- the game should still work upgrading this method (without a reinstall) however I do not know for sure-- nearly all of my programs worked ok after upgrading-- upgrading this way allows you to revert to your previous version of windows if you have issues (you have 30 days to revert-- it does not take long (I've done it twice)-- it is pretty much like doing a system restore..

After the upgrade you also have and option of reseting windows 10 (which is like doing a fresh install of windows 10 on top of the upgraded install)-- you cannot revert after doing this... I had to do this with one of our PCs after experienceing issues with Net Nanny (a PC used by my kids) that I could not solve without doing so.

Thanks for the links Spuds! Yeah, some of the people were having this issue on the pause menu, I have it while freeroaming or whatever I'm doing at that moment. The only thing I haven't tried to do is to run the game Window Borderless which I'm gonna try tomorrow after I update to the Freemode Events Update (I hope the update could magically fix it... :p).

I bought the retail (disk) version of the game.

Thanks for the info on Windows 10 by the way. I'm probably going to upgrade and reset right away as to do a "fresh install" of it. By doing so I have to install GTA V again right? (Well probably won't be a bad idea since in the error message that appears it says to reinstall the game if the problem persists although people with this issue before had done that and error was still there after reinstalling the game).

As I expected, Freemod Events Update didn't fix it. I already tried putting the latest non-beta AMD drivers back (15.7.1) but still getting the error. I even put the lowest settings possible using 1920x1080 resolution and still getting the error.

I'm writing a request to R* tomorrow!!!! I hope they don't dare to tell me I have to reinstall the game... :/

I would consider rolling back your video driver before doing a reinstall (is system restore an option?).... . you wrote in your OP you were running the Beta driver.....

7744.png

"I want to design a video game where you take care of all the people shot in all the

other video games.... It's called Busy Hospital II" -- Demetri Martin

RIP BDP

I would consider rolling back your video driver before doing a reinstall (is system restore an option?).... . you wrote in your OP you were running the Beta driver.....

I did. In the post above yours I said I went back to the 15.7.1 (non-beta) and the error still occured :/

• 3 months later...

Bump... sorry guys but since the error still didn't go away and I spent nearly 400 euros upgrading my PC on purpose to run GTA V at high-very settings, I had to bump this thread.

As you can see from the original post, since I bought this GPU, the ASUS Radeon R9 285 Strix OC 2GB, I have been getting the ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT error. It occurs during gameplay and it's totally random as of when it occurs.

I have tried literally all solutions and I still keep getting the error. My GPU temps are about 73ºC/163F. Rockstar Support said and I quote:

"The ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT message appears when there are issues with the core voltage and/or VRAM clock speed. In order to correct this issue, please contact your video card's manufacturer in order to receive support for the settings."

I have contacted AMD support but I still haven't got any reply... so I decided to try my luck here again.

My specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 285 Strix DirectCU II OC 2GB (installed on PCIe 3.0 x16 with latest 16.1 Crimson driver)
CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 3.2 GHz
RAM: 8GB
Motherboard: Asus Z97-K/USB3.1
PSU: Nox NX650W
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (installed on a Kingston V300 120GB SSD)

This is my GPU on Game Debate: http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=2632&...

I must admitt I play with more VRAM than the game's slider advise me to use but using MSI Afterburner my VRAM never goes above 1800MB even if the game slider shows I'm using 2400MB...

Sometimes I also get black screen followed by a "No Signal" on my monitor and I have to hard restart my PC. Can anyone help me so that I can finally play the game decently? I spent nearly 400 euros this Christmas buying upgrades for my PC for nothing...

Thanks in advance.

Update: this time it didn't show the error but the "No Signal" appeared. After more than an hour of gameplay the screen froze then the "D-SUB No Signal" appeared and the music kept playing until a certain point, then I hard restarted the PC when I finally stopped hearing anything, music whatsoever.

Any idea what might be? And is this related to the ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT error?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Hugo_Agante