2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Would it ever be possible to merge all online platforms?

Blasterman4EVER

Blasterman4EVER

I've often wondered if it would ever be logistically possible to merge all current generation systems to the same online system, so that XBOX ONE, PS4, and PC users would share the same online system. Sure, this is likely 99.99999% impossible, but in the future, with next generations? Is there a TRUE techie who could explain how this would never be possible, or if it would be possible but incredibly difficult?

Obviously, the number of bugs would be ridiculous, and the probability to get cooperation across platform developers would be one of the biggest hurdles.

But to dream... oh, to dream.

Edited by Blasterman4EVER

It would be cool if xbox one and ps4 were merged. I've heard aiming is very easy on pc though so I wouldn't want to be playing on a console and go up against a sniper playing on pc.

• Like 3

Yes and no. For the XBOX 360 and XBOX ONE is it possible to a certain degree. For Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 yes, For pc to join in with them no.

The reason this being is because the xbox(s) and playstation(s) and the pc use different styles and formats of codes to run their programs.One might use java,one might use c++,another binomial. The problems with the XBOX(s) playing together on the same server is that the xbox one would have to have less to offer on it due to the memory limits of the older gen xbox 360. Yes they could make a option of the xbox one players to play with xbox one and this online mode then have another for them to play with xbox 360 on another game mode. But this would require twice the servers needed to do so, not to mention data transfer between the servers if the rankings carry over depending on what online mode you played on.But i believe there is something coming out in the future on one of the platforms that allow this

It would be cool if xbox one and ps4 were merged. I've heard aiming is very easy on pc though so I wouldn't want to be playing on a console and go up against a sniper playing on pc.

for any console to merg with the pc it would be manicure to the game console user. Due to the fact on pc you can aim more faster and more accurately (I've played fps on pc with a mouse and keyboard and using a controller)

Blasterman4EVER

That's actually a good point...

• Like 2

The key problem is not the software as R* use the same code mostly on all platforms (just low level hardware stuff is different ) the big issues are with MS and Sony they won't let them share between the different environments

360/PS3 users cannot crossplay with XB1/PS4/PC users. It might seem odd but they are two completely different games in terms of the coding. They play on two different servers with different versions of the engine with different things enabled/not enabled. The LG map is different to the NG map from a technical point of view.

XB1/PS4 crossplay is entirely possible but won't ever happen. Rockstar allegedly looked into it but Sony and Microsoft would never allow crossplay between their two consoles - at least, they certainly wouldn't allow it for a Grand Theft Auto game. I'm not entirely sure whether a PC/console crossplay would work - off the top of my head I can't see why it wouldn't - but again, I doubt Microsoft and Sony would greenlight it.

is it doable?

yes

would sony and micro$oft allow this?

no!

this companies make too much money from paid subs services that they just wont share their piece of the pie.

• Like 1

It's perfectly feasible. The communication between the consoles of each player is simply data being passed back and forth. It doesn't even vaguely matter what platform that data is coming from or going to. It's just a bunch of numbers.

• Like 1

It's possible to do so as Rocket League already does this (PC and PS4 players). However it often seems frowned upon because of legitimate and business reasons.

slimeball supreme

Well, yes. Rocket League sure was able to.

But since V is a AAA game, and it has a lot of big wigs behind it, will they approve?

NO.

• Like 1

Sge6QaD.png yURtluV.png

Likewise, many PC gamers don't want their lobbies infested with auto-aimers. No offence, but it's fustrating as f*ck.

if that is happens , modders can bypass NG restrictions by having PC or LG

Edited by Sky_Light12

In theory, linking servers together would be possible and therefore it would be possible to link all platforms together provided they are connecting through something like Social Club onto one server, however I believe the problem lies in the hardware, because the consoles won't be able to stream as fast as PC and you could get even worse desync and people lagging around the place.

In theory, linking servers together would be possible and therefore it would be possible to link all platforms together provided they are connecting through something like Social Club onto one server, however I believe the problem lies in the hardware, because the consoles won't be able to stream as fast as PC and you could get even worse desync and people lagging around the place.

The thing is, it'd be like linking Call of Duty servers to Counter Strike or something.

From a technical standpoint of the game's engine, they are two different games played on two different maps. They're designed to look and feel identical, but they're different. When Rockstar said that FPS mode wasn't possible on last-gen, that wasn't a bullsh*t excuse. The 360/PS3 engine doesn't have the functionality to support it. Current-gen, however, was rewritten.

The map is a lot more difficult to explain from a technical point of view, but they are actually two different maps that are simply identical. Which sounds stupid as f*ck just typing it, but whatever.

It is possible to cross platform (it already has been done with some games), but with the sh*tty cardboard box servers, id give up on that hope

The thing is, it'd be like linking Call of Duty servers to Counter Strike or something.

From a technical standpoint of the game's engine, they are two different games played on two different maps. They're designed to look and feel identical, but they're different. When Rockstar said that FPS mode wasn't possible on last-gen, that wasn't a bullsh*t excuse. The 360/PS3 engine doesn't have the functionality to support it. Current-gen, however, was rewritten.

The map is a lot more difficult to explain from a technical point of view, but they are actually two different maps that are simply identical. Which sounds stupid as f*ck just typing it, but whatever.

that doesn't really matter, you are not actually playing on 'other' maps, your machine renders your map and you play on that.

the only data you need from other players is position/action/stance etc and these can be just number variables........... X/Y/Z co-ordinates

as long as the map is topographically the same it isn't an issue.

that doesn't really matter, you are not actually playing on 'other' maps, your machine renders your map and you play on that.

the only data you need from other players is position/action/stance etc and these can be just number variables........... X/Y/Z co-ordinates

It might not seem like one, but from a programming perspective it's entirely impossible.

It might not seem like one, but from a programming perspective it's entirely impossible.

so how did shadowrun manage it on the 360 and PC?

R* would never do it because of various reasons.

360/XB1 and PS3/PS4 wouldn't work because of the added features and graphical assets on current gen consoles. In order for them to be able to work together, R* would have to downgrade the current gen version, which I'm sure they have no interest in doing.

XB1/PS4. It could possibly work, but would likely be a debugging nightmare. Theyre slightly different builds of the same game. They are optimized to run the best on each console, which may very well mean that there are things that run differently on XB1 vs PS4. Evidence of this, is the fact that the PS4 version tends to drop frames and stutter while driving with heavy traffic in the city, while the XB1 version dropped framerate during heavy explosions and chaos going on. Things like chat, and party chat could create problems as well, not to mention that MS and Sony would never agree to it.

Current gen consoles/ PC.

This is entirely possible, but would create problems as well. Which console would PC merge with? If they were ever to merge, it would likely be with the XB1, but Sony surely wouldn't be happy with that. Auto aim on consoles would likely aggravate PC players. The PC version of online freeroam is already a glitched and modded mess, with cheaters everywhere. Console freeroam on the other hand is still very playable, with everyone being relatively equal. Introducing PC players into that, would break the purest form of the game, and hurt cash caRd sales.

I'm playing on the computer, and I got a hand full of buddies which are on consoles, being able to play with them would be amazing.

But the last time I saw cross platforms was on 4x4 Evo 2, which was almost 12 years ago, I don't know if this is still technally possible, since games became much more complex. Plus some consoles players would have a problem by getting their clean lobbies infested with cheaters and getting sniped by players which can benefit from mouse & keyboard.

• Like 1

...Shadowrun is a COMPLETELY different game.

I'm saying it's not possible for GTA V. Other games have had crossplay from console to PC with success, but GTA V couldn't.

It could be possible for the xbox one to play with 360 players. I played battle block with a 360 friend the other day while I was on the one. R* would have to allow the 360 gta v to be backwards compatible for this to work.

...Shadowrun is a COMPLETELY different game.

I'm saying it's not possible for GTA V. Other games have had crossplay from console to PC with success, but GTA V couldn't.

why not possible?

don't be vague

Edited by rlr149

Blasterman4EVER

I'm playing on the computer, and I got a hand full of buddies which are on consoles, being able to play with them would be amazing.

But the last time I saw cross platforms was on 4x4 Evo 2, which was almost 12 years ago, I don't know if this is still technally possible, since games became much more complex. Plus some consoles players would have a problem by getting their clean lobbies infested with cheaters and getting sniped by players which can benefit from mouse & keyboard.

Whoa... I thought I was the only person who played that game. I actually beat that game on PC, and I almost never play and beat PC games because I've been fully converted from being a PC gamer from 1997-2007 to being (almost) a console-exclusive gamer, now that the graphics on consoles is so good that playing PC for improved graphics is just one huge cock-waving contest in which money is burned like LeBron jerseys in Cleveland after the decision.

That was a pretty damn good racing game, and it was fun working to get the vehicles all hooked up and modded out.

• Like 3

If it was possible, no thanks - I want to keep the hell away from PC with the trainers and mods that are available.

Cross platform play with PS4 users would allow me to join more car meets, social gatherings and missions with other forum members though, so that would be good.

Blasterman4EVER

If it was possible, no thanks - I want to keep the hell away from PC with the trainers and mods that are available.

Cross platform play with PS4 users would allow me to join more car meets, social gatherings and missions with other forum members though, so that would be good.

I just want PSN and XBOX servers to join so we can play with all of our friends.

But yeah, I actually went and spent some time reading in the coding section of GTA mods (do it sometimes just to get a headache - on many levels), and it is absolutely amazing the trouble these guys are going through to create complicatedly coded mods that do little more than perhaps fix something like the cops being aware of you killing somebody when nobody is around, or getting their pedestrians to function properly again because in the course of modding they screwed it all up, or to make the sea levels high so they can play alone on a jetski with big waves.

I've had the misfortune of spending some time on twitch watching some idiot play in the "Atlantis" mod for 10 minutes... and let me tell you, I want my ten minutes back, and I want to find this guy and spawn kill him repeatedly for wasting his time playing a version of the game so utterly stupid and pointless and inferior to the original vision.

It's SO stupid... the colossal amount of time these guys spend altering the code of a game that is blissfully amazing as it is, all with the goal of playing some inferior, altered version of the game that you can't play with anybody online reliably anyway. But hey, it's there time, and if they want to risk being permabanned, that's their choice, and hopefully they will be. Good riddens.