2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Don't miss those days when gaming wasn't about DLC?

Arachne

Don't you guys miss those days when developers actually put effort on their games rather than just making a overrated game filled with guns and microtransations? i mean,there are some cool games on this generation but some of them are just uncreative,bland and uninspired.

I just want to know what you guys think about gaming nowdays.

Edited by Arachne

What is a microtranslation?

It's when you use real-life money to buy virtual things

Edit:it's microtransations

Edited by Arachne

slimeball supreme

...like?

I see where you're coming from, and I agree, but I'm more concerned about micro transactions as a whole.

They're one of the many reasons I can't take mobile games seriously.

Sge6QaD.png yURtluV.png

What is a microtransaction?

We already have sharkcards

Imagine in the next GTA pay $60 in order to jack a car

:cry:

Really really hope that doesn't happen

Edited by Zello
  • Like 2

We already have sharkcards

Imagine in the next GTA pay $60 in order to jack a car

:cry:

Really really hope that doesn't happen

Imagine paying 1000 for every player you kill,it could be bad eh?

I remember the days when we got "Expansion Packs", a term kids these days will never know.

The Witcher is the most recent game i know that actually calls their packs "Expansion packs". DLC seems like a dirty word now.

Don't get me wrong, I like DLC. I love getting more content for a game I love, but when you're charging 4 bucks for a f*ckin gun skin you can suck a fat dick.

• Like 1

Way to dismiss all developers who do put effort in their work and have DLCs as a chance to expand the game even more. Not all game with DLC is about "guns". All your assumptions are wrong.

On topic, DLCs are a great way to expand a game if it's successful. Loved the DLC in Fallout and TES series because they gave me more things to do in already awesome games. Some companies do abuse it and cut content before it's done to sell separately, and that's a sh*tty practice...

...but luckily most companies do DLC in the good way.

2lzNHds.png

Way to dismiss all developers who do put effort in their work and have DLCs as a chance to expand the game even more. Not all game with DLC is about "guns". All your assumptions are wrong.

On topic, DLCs are a great way to expand a game if it's successful. Loved the DLC in Fallout and TES series because they gave me more things to do in already awesome games. Some companies do abuse it and cut content before it's done to sell separately, and that's a sh*tty practice...

...but luckily most companies do DLC in the good way.

Agreed, and compared to microtransactions DLCs are a one time payment that doesn't poke your rib asking for money and cockblocks your gameplay if you don't spit out those greens.

I don't think DLC is necessarily a bad thing. There are good, complete games, that gain wild popularity and the developers come back and add to it.

The problem is companies like Activision and EA that push out half complete games, then charge for "extra" stuff. What has me worried is this new fad of releasing premium months before the game releases. It's gone beyond a blatant money grab.

Edited by TheEroticCherry

Like always, the solution is to not buy EA or Activision games, it really is that easy.

Other companies like Bethesda, CD Projekt, BandaiNamco, Obsidian, Frontier, etc, etc. put more effort on their DLCs or do actual expansions, buy their games, support them.

And dont start talking about kashkerds... You dont need them, you never did.

Its easier to curse the dark than to light a candle.

Edited by reiniat
  • Like 2

DetectivePhelps

I enjoy the DLC'S. It brings a level of fun for entertainment.

Problem is, When it becomes problematic as some stated on here.

I miss the past games, when it was purely about just the moment of it all.

My dad told me he use to play qbert arcade on that big oversize pc monitor.

Yes, the original Xbox and the PlayStation 2 were the last consoles for gamers. In my opinion, the best consoles of all time. No microtransations, No dumbing down games, no day 1 DLC, No DLC that was cut a few days before the game shipped, and no broken games.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 were designed to exploited the majority (casual gamers). Also, consider back before the PS3 and Xbox 360 era games didn't cost that much when compared to today, so I think devs could take more risks. The gaming world today seems far more corporate. It seems like back during the PS2, Xbox days, and before the gaming world was run back game devs who loved making games

Edited by N7Operative84

Like always, the solution is to not buy EA or Activision games, it really is that easy.

Other companies like Bethesda, CD Projekt, BandaiNamco, Obsidian, Frontier, etc, etc. put more effort on their DLCs or do actual expansions, buy their games, support them.

And dont start talking about kashkerds... You dont need them, you never did.

Its easier to curse the dark than to light a candle.

Yeah but sadly a lot of idiots buy sh*tty Payday 2 DLCs that come out every few weeks and pretend it's a good business model because on rare occasions they give out pretty lack luster free content. f*cking morons.

Edited by B Dawg
  • Like 2

Richard Power Colt

Expansions are my favorite kind of DLC. I mean DLCs like TBOG and TLAD where you get a lot at once. The free updates for GTA V are nice, but you can explore everything they're about during the day they're released. Also pre-order DLC is cancer and so are microtransaction in non f2p games. In F2P games microtransactions are kind of a must have, but a lot of games just execute the formula poorly.

Edited by Nutsack McQueen

It should be noted that this video isn't real. Although I do agree with its message: microtransactions and stupid, overpriced DLC are ruining gaming. I hate how nowadays it seems like developers will distribute 80% of their game on the disk, then sell the other 20% as (unreasonably priced) DLC.

Edited by thehambone

San Andreas Countryside
Meet the GTA 3 players who've spent a decade playing pass-the-pad to 100% the game - GamesRadar

GTA:LCS Save Editor - Supports Android, iOS, PS2, and PSP saves!

GTA3 Save Editor  - Big update in the works!

I swear, man. People are always over-exaggerating when it comes to DLC.

Here's an idea; Don't buy sports games or yearly shooters. They're always what people bring up when they talk about DLC/Microtransactions, but the base games themselves are poorly made by people who lack the integrity to produce a good game.

I saw someone bring up shark cards earlier in the thread... Motherf*cker, GTA 5 has 13, soon to be 14, free DLC that each add new content. That's 100% more than any EA game.

If I wanna spend $5 to buy a bunch of Batman skins that make him so buff that he can't see his own feet because his pectoral muscles are so huge, that's fine. Because I don't miss it when it's gone, and I don't regret it if I buy it.

People who complain about DLC this much should really pick their games better. You can't complain about how bad pre-ordering is and then refuse to research the game's nature post release.

Nintendo still does it right.

Sure, they added to MarioKart but it was nothign essential that you needed, and some of it too was free; and they've added a bunch to Splatoon (best game ever), but it's all been free to continually enhance a product thye know they pushed out the door, and they've been steadily working at making it a new flagship IP.

Nintendo still does it right.

Sure, they added to MarioKart but it was nothign essential that you needed, and some of it too was free; and they've added a bunch to Splatoon (best game ever), but it's all been free to continually enhance a product thye know they pushed out the door, and they've been steadily working at making it a new flagship IP.

Yes,nintendo is sadly the only company that still puts effort on their games,even though there is some with dlc...But hey,it wasn't 10 bucks for a skin!

Another thing that bothers me is when a good game is widely ignored by everyone

Richard Power Colt

I kinda wish Nintendo would go software only. Unless they manage to make their next console actually more worthwhile compared to the Wii U.

Edited by Nutsack McQueen

I kinda wish Nintendo would go software only. Unless they manage to make their next console actually more worthwhile compared to the Wii U.

The software that was designed for my kids' Wii U looks fantastic, it's not that their console isn't "worthwhile," it's that it's too different for people to want to put the effort forth. I also presume in order to meet the Nintendo Seal of Quality that some subject matter may not be acceptable for Nintendo, then again there's that whatever came with the Sarah Palin lookalike devil girl, so I don't really know about the latter there.

Nintendo consistently pushing forward with every console they release with hardware, and the human interaction there in. The DS, the 3DS, the Wii, and the Wii U all feature really brilliant, outside the box, hardware flourishes that no one else has tried.

Other than expense, the Wii U controller is brilliantly designed. It's really not too big, even for my kids' 8 year old hands. The idea of having a fully interactive touch screen is awesome. So many console games I play now would benefit from a fully integrated device like that it's astounding, to say nothing of the novel way it gets used as a second screen or a view finder for some of their other games.

I don't think I need to comment on the watershed moment of the Wii's motion controls, either.

The most disappointing fact of the Wii U isn't the console's hardware specs, it's the fact that other than Nintendo and a few indies, no one's really tried to exploit what the Wii U Gamepad can do. Affordable Space Exploration is an amazingly well designed game, where the gamepad's user gets the engineering display of their space craft, and two other players get onscreen use of probes with the Wiimote and everyone gets to watch it play out on the main display.

I remember the days when we got "Expansion Packs", a term kids these days will never know.

DLC before it was downloadable (not true, but you get my Idea. there were some downloadable "EP"s although they were in the minority.)

On the one hand.. Nintendo bowing out of the console market might be for the best re: consumer choice but...

On the other hand, yeah, I kinda wish Nintendo would go software only. Console hardware specs are so far behind, Nintendo's ability to get third party devs on board is incredibly diminished among other issues.

Also f*ck that gamepad.

On the one hand.. Nintendo bowing out of the console market might be for the best re: consumer choice but...

On the other hand, yeah, I kinda wish Nintendo would go software only. Console hardware specs are so far behind, Nintendo's ability to get third party devs on board is incredibly diminished among other issues.

Also f*ck that gamepad.

I disagree. Nintendo going software only would be the downfall of Nintendo. Having control over the platforms and being able to create new and innovative experiences, and through that create new and amazing games, is what Nintendo is all about. Whereas Sony and Microsoft are engaged in the "bigger/more powerful is much better!", Nintendo is engaged in innovation, in finding new ways to create play and fun. And damn they do it right.

I do agree that their third party support is crappy, but that's all they need to improve. I don't think the future of game consoles lie in super duper ultra realistic mega console that are equivalent to a top line PC of 5 years before. Nintendo knows that, and has been trying to find different ways and alternatives, trying to see the future.

I predict the NX will be something awesome.

• Like 1

2lzNHds.png

It absolutely wouldn't be the downfall for Nintendo just like it wasn't (really) for Sega*. Like I said, I'm not convinced it would be a good move for consumers per say as more choice is always a good thing.

And it's not about super duper realistic consoles. It's about having some semblance of parity in order to be able to entice publishers to bring third party titles to the console.

I don't know why I care though. Nintendo has long since stopped caring to market to people like myself anyway.

*A far more successful Sega, mind you.

Edited by ¥en