Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,239 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

The Deadite

Is LC the best videogame rendition of NY?

Algonquin Assassin

Yes.

What sets IV's NY renedition apart from others is that it was New York not just Manhattan. Yea staten's missing but staten island sucks anyway lol.

People who say 'NY is being used too much in video games and movies' are wrong. Rather, its manhattan which is being over used like hell. Not just video games, even a lot of movies focus sorely on Manhattan rather than the rest of New York. (i am legend, die hard etc) and i really hate this trend, especially in games. Manhattan is a great setting but on its own it gets boring fast. NYC is a lot more than Manhattan you known

GTA IV recreated manhattan beautifully in the form of algonquin and had queens brooklyn bronx and nj to top it off. For once an entertainment product didnt focus sorely on.Manhattan and thats what sets LC apart for me.

Also LC is incredibly vivid, dark and detailed. From the dirty alleyways to the subway to the magnificient skyline. It is the picasso of perfection imo. So yes its not just the best NY renedition, its the best video game setting for me.

Agreed. New York City is no more used than Los Angelas is so I've never understood it being used too much whether it's in a TV show, movie or a video game. New York City is one of the most iconic cities in the world so the complaint makes no sense to me.

And like you said the focus is almost always on Manhattan so is essence it makes GTA IV's portrayal/rendition rarer in this regard. It and Driver: Parallel Lines are the only two games I can think of that reach beyond just Manhattan. There hasn't been one since GTA IV anyway.

Gnocchi Flip Flops

Yes.

What sets IV's NY renedition apart from others is that it was New York not just Manhattan. Yea staten's missing but staten island sucks anyway lol.

People who say 'NY is being used too much in video games and movies' are wrong. Rather, its manhattan which is being over used like hell. Not just video games, even a lot of movies focus sorely on Manhattan rather than the rest of New York. (i am legend, die hard etc) and i really hate this trend, especially in games. Manhattan is a great setting but on its own it gets boring fast. NYC is a lot more than Manhattan you known

GTA IV recreated manhattan beautifully in the form of algonquin and had queens brooklyn bronx and nj to top it off. For once an entertainment product didnt focus sorely on.Manhattan and thats what sets LC apart for me.

Also LC is incredibly vivid, dark and detailed. From the dirty alleyways to the subway to the magnificient skyline. It is the picasso of perfection imo. So yes its not just the best NY renedition, its the best video game setting for me.

You make me want to play IV again but it lags too much for me to enjoy now. :(

Aerovitia

Not really, solely because of this:

PGR3 (as well as PGR4 showed above) has the most accurate rendition of NYC, although it only features portions of Manhattan and Brooklyn (just look at Manhattan Bridge and Brooklyn Bridge in that game!).

However, LC was still the most decent, compressed rendition of the whole NYC (excluding Staten Island, of course).

I remember when my friends and myself is watching Mr. Robot. When Elliot visited Coney Island for the first time, one of my friends was impressed when he remembered that the LC rendition of Coney Island was featured in IV. Keep in mind that he's not a IV fanboy. ;)

Big_Smiley

Yes.

You make me want to play IV again but it lags too much for me to enjoy now. :( IV for PC. Nuff said :sui:

The Deadite

Not really, solely because of this:

PGR3 (as well as PGR4 showed above) has the most accurate rendition of NYC, although it only features portions of Manhattan and Brooklyn (just look at Manhattan Bridge and Brooklyn Bridge in that game!).

Is a racing game, is just a nice window sorta speak, you can't interact with it but just look at it.

Sorry but there's is not a point to be made here.

Aerovitia

Is a racing game, is just a nice window sorta speak, you can't interact with it but just look at it.

Sorry but there's is not a point to be made here.

It has a multiplayer mode called Tourist Mode where you can free roam around the city (although the city is basically a ghost town and there's guard rails everywhere). There's also a multiplayer mode called Bulldog (showed above), which is basically a cat-and-mouse mode in a free roam map.

So yeah you can't really interact it, but at least you can still explore it. :p

PhillBellic

I loved the Engine Sounds in that Video.

Piggsy pls

I've lived in NYC all my life, and my opinion? Absolutely. Literally the only video game I've played where "NYC" actually felt like what the big apple really is, which is amazing considering LC is a parody of NY.

Horse_With_No_Name

Spider-Man 2 on PS2 was fun.

CountdownIIExtinction

I've been playing a lot of True Crime NYC lately. ALOT! i',m f*ckin' addicted. I notice that Luxoflux added more details to NYC than they did LA. This game even supports progressive scan.

Well, in True Crime it is just Manhattan - no boroughs ot Jersey. But Manhattan is pretty well designed. Central Park for example has more roads and stuff. GTAIV's Central Park only has one road going at center.

United Nations building and surrounding area lookeed more realistic in True Crime. (That fitness club mission is a spiritual f*cking experience)

But the best New York is in Mafia 2. Maybe it's just me. i mean, look at the f*cking details. Brooklyn Bridge looks nicert than in GTAIV. Mafia 2's borougs and Jersey are also nicer. Yeah it's 1940s but Empirre Bay feels more realsitic than LC.

GTAIV's version of New York is stiill one of the best. It's as close you're ever gonna get to being in New York without having the miney to visit the real city.

I