1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Dee.

What is your POV on theism and vice versa?

.Smaher.

*by the way, how come people pick and choose? You pick that "maybe homosexuals don't have to die even though god said I should kill them", isn't that going against the will of God, punishable also by death?(see: the story of Onan)

Because religious people don't just literally interpret scripture and apply it to their lives? I'm pretty sure they're supposed to literally do what it says. Drinking poison with no affects has no hidden meanings.

Alexander

*by the way, how come people pick and choose? You pick that "maybe homosexuals don't have to die even though god said I should kill them", isn't that going against the will of God, punishable also by death?(see: the story of Onan)

Because religious people don't just literally interpret scripture and apply it to their lives?

And they shouldn't. It was a man who wrote that homosexuals have to die. That's bullsh*t Marwin.

@Up: So, religious people aren't allowed to think.

Edited by AlexanderS4

.Smaher.

Because religious people don't just literally interpret scripture and apply it to their lives?

And they shouldn't. It was a man who wrote that homosexuals have to die. That's bullsh*t Marwin.

If people are hypocritical to take parts of the bible as their own but still have he nerve to say Gods word is viable, then there is no excuse.

Alexander

The bible isn't God's word. The people who wrote it said it was God's word. That isn't being a hypocrite.

I don't get people. If you interpret literally what is in the bible, they get mad. If you realize it was written around 2000 years ago and that there's wrong things there, and you shouldn't apply them, they get mad.

Basically, they just want to be mad at religion. What a great way to waste time.

Clem Fandango

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to literally do what it says.

Says who? The guy that wrote it? Because there are zero religious authorities on Earth that would tell you to do exactly what it says in one line of possibly mistranslated scripture.

.Smaher.

Says who? The guy that wrote it? Because there are zero religious authorities on Earth that would tell you to do exactly what it says in one line of possibly mistranslated scripture. So? Christians are supposed to believe that the bible was inspired by Gods word. Not mans word. Saying that just makes it look even less credible. People don't get to just pick and choose which parts they like best, even when God himself never not once said to interpret the bible how ever you feel like. We have people who are homophobic and justify it by using the bible, yet they skipped over he parts where its forbidden to eat bacon and cut your hair. Are you trying to say that anything negative that comes from the bible gets to be ignored like dust on your shoulder? Isn't that going against the bibles teachings? Most people believe the bible to be inspired by what God actually said, and some believe that it was just written by multiple sheep hurlders. If the book really has his much validity, then why can't people point out the fallacious claims it has about respecting one another?

People can kill, rape and base it on he old testastemnt. And people can also do it just because their minds tell them to. You wanna know what that tells me? That people follow their own morals regardless whether it was written in a book. The bible is just used as a scapegoat for whenever justifiable negativity is drawn. The Westbro Baptist Church sure as hell like to use their bible as justification. You really think they actually get what they think from the bible? No. With or without their religion, they'd probably still be homophobes and they'd probably still think that being gay is unnatural. If I was wrong, the majority of religious folk wouldn't even touch bacon.

And to Alexander. Yes, its being a hypocrite. Read my paragraph above. People justify whatever the hell they like based on the bible. Yet, they beat around the bush to the obviously heinous ones, but are too dense to admit that there's something obviously wrong. They like being spoon fed parts of it by their pastor and carry a copy for good luck, and probably never even touched the OT. Yet there are people who say they've read the bible and follow it word for word, and say that it was divinely inspired. That's where the hypocrisy kicks in. If you're gonna make claims and justify it by the bible, then go above the line then. If the only thing you've got on people is that gay sex is wrong, but working on the sabbath is A okay, then the obviously don't actually get their morals from the bible. They get it from them selves. I'm glad people have the decency not to kill in the name of Christianity as much as they did centuries ago, yet they still like to intentionally miss the bigger picture that's dangling in front their eyes.

Edited by .Smaher.

DEALUX

On the topic of homosexuality, how can you justify your own support for same-sex marriage? Open question to any Christian or Jew in here.

Believe it or not there are myriad intelligent religious people who, when they ask the church a question, will accept or reject the answer depending on how satisfying it is. Religious institutions have no answer when people put their hand up and ask why God hates fags.

Why do most of them oppose sex-marriage? It probably has a lot to do with the fact that they generally think it is a sin.

Religious moderation of the sort you're describing is not very common in some countries. It seems to be a phenomenon that's most predominant in more developed countries (like the US and highly secular countries in Europe). I have never a seen or heard a single religious person say something positive about homosexuality where I come from (not even on the Internet). They all seem to oppose it here and most of them would qualify as moderately religious.

Alexander

Says who? The guy that wrote it? Because there are zero religious authorities on Earth that would tell you to do exactly what it says in one line of possibly mistranslated scripture.
So? Christians are supposed to believe that the bible was inspired by Gods word. Not mans word. Saying that just makes it look even less credible. People don't get to just pick and choose which parts they like best, even when God himself never not once said to interpret the bible how ever you feel like. We have people who are homophobic and justify it by using the bible, yet they skipped over he parts where its forbidden to eat bacon and cut your hair. Are you trying to say that anything negative that comes from the bible gets to be ignored like dust on your shoulder? Isn't that going against the bibles teachings? Most people believe the bible to be inspired by what God actually said, and some believe that it was just written by multiple sheep hurlders. If the book really has his much validity, then why can't people point out the fallacious claims it has about respecting one another?

People can kill, rape and base it on he old testastemnt. And people can also do it just because their minds tell them to. You wanna know what that tells me? That people follow their own morals regardless whether it was written in a book. The bible is just used as a scapegoat for whenever justifiable negativity is drawn. The Westbro Baptist Church sure as hell like to use their bible as justification. You really think they actually get what they think from the bible? No. With or without their religion, they'd probably still be homophobes and they'd probably still think that being gay is unnatural. If I was wrong, the majority of religious folk wouldn't even touch bacon.

And to Alexander. Yes, its being a hypocrite. Read my paragraph above. People justify whatever the hell they like based on the bible. Yet, they beat around the bush to the obviously heinous ones, but are too dense to admit that there's something obviously wrong. They like being spoon fed parts of it by their pastor and carry a copy for good luck, and probably never even touched the OT. Yet there are people who say they've read the bible and follow it word for word, and say that it was divinely inspired. That's where the hypocrisy kicks in. If you're gonna make claims and justify it by the bible, then go above the line then. If the only thing you've got on people is that gay sex is wrong, but working on the sabbath is A okay, then the obviously don't actually get their morals from the bible. They get it from them selves. I'm glad people have the decency not to kill in the name of Christianity as much as they did centuries ago, yet they still like to intentionally miss the bigger picture that's dangling in front their eyes.

People also ignore the killing and raping, even if they can try to justify it with the old testament (You said it up there bud). So yeah, you might want to ignore that.

Christians do believe it was inspired by God's words, not written by him. Most of the people I know agree that a lot of content was added, with different motivations, to the bible. People don't take take these parts, because killing in the name of religion is not right, because getting a haircut is not a sin, and because they like bacon. As someone said a few pages back, most christians find the hate against gay people contradictory.

Again, religious people can think (and they should!). You don't heave to be a genius to notice what good things you can learn about the bible, and what bad things are written there, that were only a way of control.

People have a lot of ways to justify their actions. They just try to find the most accepted and then they go radical with it. If it wasn't the bible, it would be something else, but they surely would be hating homosexuals as much as they already do.

.Smaher.

I just wish people would just use their bible for the good morals that were in it. Follow what it teaches and good things it teaches. Even if you're homophobic, don't use your bible as an excuse. If we had more people like that, that would be great.

Edited by .Smaher.

Aqua97

Edited by Aqua97

Alexander

Even if you're homophobic, don't use your bible as an excuse. If we had more people like that, the world would be grand.

Homophobics are homophobics. The world would be the same if they didn't use the bible as an excuse.

I just wish people would just use their bible for the good morals that were in it. Follow what it teaches and good things it teaches.

We all do bro, we all do.

sivispacem

Even if you're homophobic, don't use your bible as an excuse. If we had more people like that, the world would be grand.

Homophobics are homophobics. The world would be the same if they didn't use the bible as an excuse.

I'm not sure this is true. Historically, non-Abrahamic societies actively encouraged homosexuality, most notably the Greeks but also the Romans. Religious thought has a great deal to do with it becoming a taboo subject.

Tyler

I'm not sure this is true. Historically, non-Abrahamic societies actively encouraged homosexuality, most notably the Greeks but also the Romans. Religious thought has a great deal to do with it becoming a taboo subject.

Greeks engaged in pederasty because the ideal form of beauty was adolescence. Romans engaged in homosexual relations, but it was not as simple as accepting it: the man who was seen as the submissive participant in the act of sodomy was regarded as less masculine and inferior due to his role. Hence, most homosexual relationships were between figures of authority/influence and people of lower influence (or outright slaves). Another key point of both societies was that they did not view sexuality in terms of hetero/homo. Thus, it is hard to compare them to our current conception of sexual dynamics (although it can still be very useful for a few reasons).

You're definitely right about religious taboo (specifically Christianity) making it a topic that is not discussed as freely, but there has always been complicated ideas about homosexuality in the West. Christianity only made it more complicated with all its spiritual guilt and self-shaming.

mr quick

rofl silly me for making up that god said it

"The Lord spoke to Moses and said: Tell the Isrealites: [...] When a man lays with another man like one lays with a woman, they have both commited an abomination. They shall die; there lays a bloodguilt upon them."

How dare you imply that I was bullsh*tting? The text above is as always translated from my very own Bible, given to me at the age of 10 during a religious ceremony.

Edited by Marwin

MyName'sJeff

With homosexuality, the main issue is the extremists, just like extremists in all religions. There are lots of people who don't support homosexuality in their opinion, but in general they don't care what a man does with another man, it's simply a view. They have the intelligence to know that gay people are at the end of the day people just like any other person on this planet, the only difference is the sexual orientation. They still respect those people as humans and don't give a sh*t what they do. This is the group that gets overshadowed and are mis-portrayed. Then you have the people who absolutely love homosexuals which is also fine, there's no issue with that. These two sides are absolutely fine. The problem is the people who literally hate gay people and would kill them, violate them or abuse them in any shape or form and are completely against them even as humans. Another problem is the people that want to shove the actual sexuality down everyone's throats and expect homosexuals to be treated in a special manner. So what's my conclusion on this? PEOPLE are the f-u-c-k-i-n-g problem.

Edited by MyName'sJeff

Alexander

Well yes, what I wrote it isn't entirely true.

Indeed, religion is a factor, but people will always find a reason to fight. If it wasn't the bible, it would be something else.

E: And homosexuality wasn't only punished by christians, they're not the whole problem.

"The Lord spoke to Moses and said: Tell the Isrealites: [...] When a man lays with another man like one lays with a woman, they have both commited an abomination. They shall die; there lays a bloodguilt upon them."

How dare you imply that I was bullsh*tting? The text above is as always translated from my very own Bible, given to me at the age of 10 during a religious ceremony.

lmao dude, easy. I never implied you were bullsh*tting bro, the text up there is one example of what I've been talking about.

Edited by AlexanderS4

Not A Nice Person

I consider myself a more spiritual person, I like buddhism. but I consider myself neither.

Edited by Sayuri

mr quick

Well yes, what I wrote it isn't entirely true.

Indeed, religion is a factor, but people will always find a reason to hate and fight. If it wasn't the bible, it would be something else.

lmao dude, easy. I never implied you were bullsh*tting bro, the text up there is one example of what I've been talking about.

"That's bullsh*t Marwin"

Alexander

<quotes>

"That's bullsh*t Marwin"

Ok, my bad. Let me be more specific:

That is bullsh*t Marwin.

Edited by AlexanderS4

.Smaher.

How exactly is that bullsh*t? That's what the book says.

sivispacem

E: And homosexuality wasn't only punished by christians, they're not the whole problem.

Never said it was. It's prevalent amongst all three Abrahamic religions though the Jews are significantly less strict on it in a modern context than any of the main branches of Christianity or Islam.

IlIIlIlIIlIlIIlI

This whole argument is so pedantic. Shouldn't the focus be on how we can all agree to recognize the person facing the other screen as a human being with identical emotions, albeit with cultural biases and maybe some sexual hang-ups?

The whole "Bible's the word of God but the audience has changed" vs "No, it clearly isn't" vs "All y'all sinners goin' tuh Hey-uhl" seems like it's been relegated to the sidelines and only argued by religions/atheist minorities - at least from my daily interactions (granted, in real life and not on the internet). This whole thing was put to bed in the late '90s to mid-late '00s with the Four Horsemen and the rise of New Atheism. Ever since then, numbers of people identifying as atheists have skyrocketed, and mainstream religion has given up and gone with more of a blase "Oh, well, it's all really kind of metaphorical, isn't it?" And in those parishes/congregations where they aren't quite changing the tune to be more tolerant... the younger generations are MORE than carrying that torch - see conservative Christian support for gay marriage and women's rights among 18-25s...

It's over... religion (in the West, I should clearly emphasize) is becoming more tolerant and forgiving. Systemic change in organizations that have been around for a millennium or two is not going to happen in one generation but the intolerance bit - in the West - is clearly circling the drain. Give it a rest. All of these arguments become historical tit for tat. Those people are all dead. We learn from their knowledge.

Edited by IlIIlIlIIlIlIIlI

.Smaher.

Tolerant and forgiving... Good joke.

IlIIlIlIIlIlIIlI

Tolerant and forgiving... Good joke.

Compared to 1500, 1000, 200, 30 years ago? It's evolving like any other cultural meme.

slimeball supreme

Great news, everyone. I found a new religion that fits my morals and beliefs.

church%2Bof%2Bkanye%2Bwest.jpg

Now there's something I can actually worship!

f*ck this 'there is no God' and all that sh*t, the answer was right in front of us - Decorated modern rapper Kanye West is god, though I am a bit uncertain if I should stray away from the Based God, Lil B.

This is tough.

Mr. Scratch

Polytheism, yo.

El Dildo

Never said it was. It's prevalent amongst all three Abrahamic religions though the Jews are significantly less strict on it in a modern context than any of the main branches of Christianity or Islam.

honestly, for a group of people who get a lot of sh/t, Jews are pretty damn cool.

as long as you just leave them alone they don't really care about anything.

Jews are actually one of the most tolerant religious people I encounter on a daily basis.

Richard Power Colt

Atheist here. Don't care what others believe in as long they don't rub it in my face or behave in some other bothersome way, because of their beliefs. Just don't be an annoying person in general.

Edited by GTAandStuff

Jehannum

The topic of religion bores me these days, except when it depresses me.

Richard Power Colt

The topic of religion bores me these days, except when it depresses me.

Yeah it's getting old. So is talking about racism and gays. Can we come up with something new?