1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Dee.

What is your POV on theism and vice versa?

Lost Legend

I suppose the only thing is the irony of the use of the word "atheism" which actually derives from religion seeing as most atheists claim wanting nothing to do with religion (but we all know they'll bad-mouth it any chance they get.)

Yes, very ironic. Adding an "a" in place of an "ism" or "ist" makes you look especially contradicting, I see.

Those asexuals and ageists. Thought they could fool everybody.

"theism" is religion.No, actually it isn't. Theism at its most basic is simply belief in a deity. You can be religious without believing in God (non-theistic religion) and you can hold belief in a deity without being explicitly religious.

So next time you want to get pendantic about semantics, at least have the first clue what you're talking about.

I actually just looked this up before I read this. My other point still stands regardless.

CoreyDog2014

You know what a new Atheist is right? It's basically an Atheist who won't shy away from telling theists what they think.

Nah, it's an atheist with a religious devotion to a lack of religious devotion, and an unshakable allegiance to the state. A new atheist is the kind of person that supports imperialism in the Middle East because Islam is "backwards".

Oh, should be interesting, what are these Atheist 'holy' books then?

410UkKG0LcL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

EDIT: It's funny because my best friends are religious, and they both share my views on LGBT folks. One is a Sikh, the other a secular Jew.

You obviously enjoy making up your own meanings to words. Again, look up in Oxford Dictionary definition of religion/religious.

You know that all an Atheist is is someone who Disbelieves in all 3000+ recorded deities? You can pigeon hole as much as you like. You're clearly wrong.

God Delusion? Never read it. Dawkins is an intelligent man and some things he says I agree with, others I don't. Joys of Atheism, don't have to follow one book/character blindly.

Mr_Rager

Ox70o.jpg

I've got an on-and-off relationship with Christianity.

For the majority of my life though, I've been an atheist. I grew up in Sunday School at an Anglican church. I loved it.

I have no issues with religion. I have no issues with atheism. I try to look at it from the outside looking in. My mind isn't made up yet on who is God, does he exist, etc. Religion causes war and breaks people apart, but if it wasn't religion, people would find another reason to kill each other anyway.

sivispacem

My other point still stands regardless.

It sort of doesn't given that your whole point seems to be that atheism is ironic because its a linguistic perversion of religious belief. Because it's demonstrably not, and even if it were, that's pretty normal for the English language. You don't see people arguing that the word "illegitimate" actually implies the opposite because it's a modification of the world "legitimate", do you?

The whole thing is laughably farcical.

Lost Legend

My other point still stands regardless.

It sort of doesn't given that your whole point seems to be that atheism is ironic because its a linguistic perversion of religious belief. Because it's demonstrably not, and even if it were, that's pretty normal for the English language. You don't see people arguing that the word "illegitimate" actually implies the opposite because it's a modification of the world "legitimate", do you?

The whole thing is laughably farcical.

I'm too tired to argue so I'm just going to agree with you.

sivispacem

Probably for the best, lest you embarrass yourself further.

Mr_Rager

No need to turn an assault into a murder.

Lost Legend

You've made your point. No need to be an a**hole. I've learned my mistake so let us leave it at that.

sivispacem

Oh, I know there's no need, but I've got to keep up appearances. It's also really funny. Besides, how else will you learn?

Lost Legend

Oh, I know there's no need, but I've got to keep up appearances. It's also really funny. Besides, how else will you learn?

I did learn, perhaps an attitude such as the one presented by you may give a negative reputation rather than a positive one?

Mr_Rager

I did learn, perhaps an attitude such as the one presented by you may give a negative reputation rather than a positive one?

He's a mod, though. It's like being a Free Mason or something. He had to drink the blood of a newborn baby to join. I don't think he cares what the peasants think about him. :p

Eutyphro

I actually agree with a specific interpretation of this:

I suppose the only thing is the irony of the use of the word "atheism" which actually derives from religion seeing as most atheists claim wanting nothing to do with religion.

When for instance, someone on Facebook has 'atheist' or 'agnost' in their profile, I often think it is strange, as I don't understand why it is a relevant aspect of their identity. It's weird to emphasize something you do not do as a part of your identity.

Apart from that, I don't agree you can be a religious atheist/agnost. I think religion minimally includes worshipping an immaterial entity. The semantic debate is whether any immaterial entity that is worshipped can be considered a god, or even what 'material' means..,

And sometimes as a rhetorical device people use the word 'religion' as a synonym for 'irrational belief', but I also don't think that is a useful definition in a discussion such as this.

Lost Legend

He's a mod, though. It's like being a Free Mason or something. He had to drink the blood of a newborn baby to join. I don't think he cares what the peasants think about him. :p

He must care about them to an extent if he wants to keep appearances up otherwise he wouldn't be a mod. I picked up on my mistake about roughly after I said I was too tired to argue, must have been caffeine somewhere in my post seeing as it woke me up. I am not one of those "think before you post types". I post, let people point out my errors and I learn from them. I am either thinking lazily or cleverly to an extent, really don't give a horse's ass if I "embarrass" myself. I'd say educate myself.

sivispacem

I did learn, perhaps an attitude such as the one presented by you may give a negative reputation rather than a positive one?If public ridicule makes people think before opening their mouths, then I don't really care.

I do however agree with Eutyphro, for most people the absence of religious belief isn't really a defining characteristic of their personality or psyche. For such a divisive topic, the real world impact of any views other than fairly extreme ones on the subject is pretty minimal. I work in a pretty close-knit team of about 15 people and aside from one or two I couldn't tell you the religious beliefs of any of them.

Lost Legend

If public ridicule makes people think before opening their mouths, then I don't really care.

I do however agree with Eutyphro, for most people the absence of religious belief isn't really a defining characteristic of their personality or psyche. For such a divisive topic, the real world impact of any views other than fairly extreme ones on the subject is pretty minimal. I work in a pretty close-knit team of about 15 people and aside from one or two I couldn't tell you the religious beliefs of any of them.

Then again, I wouldn't interpret it as public ridicule, in my sense, I'd leave the person to figure out the mistakes by their self rather than do their work for them and tell them. People can't help themselves however, whenever they feel like they're merely publicly ridiculing someone like me they don't realize they've actually fallen right into their trap and told them how to better themselves. This really only applies if your intent wasn't to help them but instead only shame them. My intellectual quality hasn't developed to the point where I think before I speak because I know someone will come right along and point out my errors which I do possess the know-how to then understand. Adaption at its finest.

Eutyphro

Come on, don't drag that on. By now I'm starting to agree with sivispacem. Got nothing to say, then please don't.

Lost Legend

I feel as if I judge people by their beliefs on how they judge others by their beliefs. For a while, I developed a slight hatred for Athiests after seeing how every proclaimed Athiest I've seen on the Internet seemed to attack Christians whenever the Christian established their religious beliefs though when it came to Muslims they were almost like friends with Athiests. I'd consider myself a lapsed Catholic so I doubt I'd really have a say. I'd try and defend God but ironically, the Athiests would know more about the Bible than me.

Now I sound like a f*cking therapist patient...

.Smaher.

I feel as if I judge people by their beliefs on how they judge others by their beliefs. For a while, I developed a slight hatred for Athiests after seeing how every proclaimed Athiest I've seen on the Internet seemed to attack Christians whenever the Christian established their religious beliefs though when it came to Muslims they were almost like friends with Athiests. I'd consider myself a lapsed Catholic so I doubt I'd really have a say. I'd try and defend God but ironically, the Athiests would know more about the Bible than me.

It's the internet, bro. You can stand pants high as much as you want. But decency is to be prominent in person.

Lost Legend

It's the internet, bro. You can stand pants high as much as you want. But decency is to be prominent in person.

Amen to that.

Richard Power Colt

A lot of the atheists who don't hate on religions don't really boast about it Online. Usually all kinds of haters make their voices more heard, because they want to provoke.

Aqua97

A strong word of advice for all if not most of the atheists on this thread, speaking as a former strong religious Christian now more of a Christian pantheist I would like to say that if your going to present an argument about religion don't just say "God is not real" or "your delusional" if you where going about telling a child that Santa isn't real would you say to them "your delusional" and "Santa is not real" ? No, because it would make them angry and upset and it would make you look like an ass. :p

If an atheist wants to debate a Christian do it with a bit a care and respect. Rather like Marwin for example a couple of pages back, when he got quotes from the bible of what he thought was wrong with religion such as the homophobic part for example and pointed it out and you could clearly see that it was wrong. If more atheists did that you would get a hell of a lot thither.

Thank you :^::)

Edited by Aqua97

Dingdongs

i). The majority of muslims in Sweden are homophobic. Including every muslim who so far have been sitting in the Swedish parliament.

[Citation needed]

I do not accept religion as an excuse for intolerance which unfortunately most swedish politicians do - they even let people who believe its justified to beat your wife and that women who do not follow the muslim dresscodes creates anxiety in our society.

[Citation needed]While this idea that Islam is taking over Europe and making everybody homophobic, conservative dressers is ridiculous, there's something to be said for Islam's devoted adherents as being highly opposed to widely agreed upon liberal elements of western society (homosexuality, premarital sex, etc). Sort of like radical right wing Christians who say the same stuff. Only difference is they don't enjoy the defense of social justice warriors. Edited by Irviding

sivispacem

Use of the term "social justice warrior" tends to make otherwise reasonably intelligent and learned people look very silly.

mr quick

i). The majority of muslims in Sweden are homophobic. Including every muslim who so far have been sitting in the Swedish parliament.

[Citation needed]

I do not accept religion as an excuse for intolerance which unfortunately most swedish politicians do - they even let people who believe its justified to beat your wife and that women who do not follow the muslim dresscodes creates anxiety in our society.

[Citation needed]
While this idea that Islam is taking over Europe and making everybody homophobic, conservative dressers is ridiculous, there's something to be said for Islam's devoted adherents as being highly opposed to widely agreed upon liberal elements of western society (homosexuality, premarital sex, etc). Sort of like radical right wing Christians who say the same stuff. Only difference is they don't enjoy the defense of social justice warriors.

This is a very good point. I feel as if any criticism of Islamic doctrine earns you the title of "islamophobe". I think it's unfair that Islam, more than other religions, should be so exempt from criticism.

sivispacem

It's not, though.

Dingdongs

It's not, though.

But it is. It's fine to sit around and complain about Christianity's excesses but God forbid (no pun intended) you say a single thing about Islam's problems, you end up getting piled on by online SJWs.

Sivis - go on Reddit or Tumblr and look at these people who make Caitlyn Jenner their profile picture and in the same token are screaming at folks who say that Islamic radicalism is a problem. All religions have problems with extremists. But only one of them gets very peculiar defense from people who are otherwise very progressive.

As for the terminology, what else do you want me to say?

Edited by Irviding

Coin

I don't think that's necessarily the case though.

I think it is more of an issue that many critics of Islam are often uneducated on the subject matter and prone to sensationalism. And for that reason, you often see critics come under attack from "online SJWs".

That's not to say that this sort of thing doesn't necessarily happen when people criticise Christianity either but in Western society we've been exposed to it and it has been a part of that for the longest of time, where as Islam is still pretty much "alien" in comparison, if that makes sense? I dunno.

Richard Power Colt

Islam is a pretty hated religion, because of terrorism so I think that's why SJWs feel the need to defend it more than others. And a lot of them might be putting the people with valid criticism to the same boat as the ones who just hate on muslims, because of Osama and sh*t.

Aqua97

To be honest I don't think Islam has anything to do with terrorism, I think it's just people gone mad, and then using Islam as a excuse.

Richard Power Colt

To be honest I don't think Islam has anything to do with terrorism, I think it's just people gone mad, and then using Islam as a excuse.

True, but there are a lot of people who get the wrong image about Islam in general, because of groups like Isis and Al-Qaeda.

Edited by Nutsack McQueen