2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Dee.

What is your POV on theism and vice versa?

IlIIlIlIIlIlIIlI

Does anybody else think that the Bible is just full of metaphors ? Take "God made man in his own image"

And this image for example.

Again, Pantheism. :p

I suspect that image is just the forces of physics "encouraging" certain forms or patterns to appear more easily than others. Some numbers (pi and the Fibonacci sequence for example) also pop up again and again in our universe and this is most likely just a "comfortable" type of arrangement for matter to arrange itself in by the forces at work. I definitely don't have the qualifications to say that, but there it is.

.Smaher.

Does anybody else think that the Bible is just full of metaphors ? Take "God made man in his own image"

Take this image for example.

Again, Pantheism. :p

ugh time to quote the ol-biblerino

".. the prophecies/the word stands even stronger for us[...] but you must first and foremost know that one cannot interpret any prophecy/word"

lazily translated from my own bible.

There's more, give me a second.

Then that means man really did come from dirt! :O

This thread won't last long.

Edited by .Smaher.

mr quick

Someone hasn't read the old testament. ^^^

Someone didn't understand the old testament.

ok definitely time to quote the ol' biblerino

• if you kill an intruder it's only murder if it's after the sun has risen
  • if a thief has nothing he is to be sold himself
  • if you sleep with someone you are obligated to pay for and marry her
  • a troll woman, whatever the f*ck that is, has no right to live
  • if you dishonor the sabbath(such as doing labor) you must die
  • homosexuals must be killed
  • if you marry a woman and her mother all 3 of you must be burned to death
  • if you have sex with an animal you and it must die
  • if you commit incest both of you must be publicly executed
  • you must support local slave businesses and not buy from other settlements
  • there's an explicit guide to how you should price your slaves
  • if you don't seek the lord you are to be killed
  • if you spread false statements about god/gods your mother and father have to stab you to death

I'm literally just page jumping right now. Have you read the old testament? It's redundant, inconsistent drivel with sexual repression, god's ego inflation, and proper slave owner ettiquette as a focal point.

This is hardly relevant to whatever point you want to make, which is what, by the way? That the OT isn't evil? I'm just quoting random sh*t from it to make a point of how stupid it is.

Also, my question on how you justify supporting gay marriage when your beloved testament literally says that homosexuals have "committed an abomination, their blood is upon them"? Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy you ditched the old gay-hating routine but you can't just pick and choose here.

Edited by Marwin

IlIIlIlIIlIlIIlI

It's stone age, tribal paranoia... that's the best way to just sum it up.

.Smaher.

It's stone age, tribal paranoia... that's the best way to just sum it up.

Both testaments can be summed up by that. In fact, you've just described religion as a whole.

IlIIlIlIIlIlIIlI

The books might be silly to us, but despite a few fundamentalists very few modern people believe it word for word. They might say it's the holy truth of god, but it's all pick and choose in reality. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Your average neighbor isn't stoning homosexuals or throwing pipe bombs into your yard when you mow on a Sunday, is he?

.Smaher.

The books might be silly to us, but despite a few fundamentalists very few modern people believe it word for word. They might say it's the holy truth of god, but it's all pick and choose in reality. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Your average neighbor isn't stoning homosexuals or throwing pipe bombs into your yard when you mow on a Sunday, is he?

I refer to those guys who don't follow their bible word for word as hypocrites. At least, they have the decency to not act like we're in the 12th century anymore. And having the bible be pick and choose all seems pretty suspicious to me.

Edited by .Smaher.

mr quick

No, but definitely spreading misinformation and hate. See my post on the last page.

MyName'sJeff

I guess someone didn't read my post properly ;) I was nowhere near referring to the old testament, nor the bible as a whole.

Edited by MyName'sJeff

Alexander

Believe what you want, let other people believe what they want. Tha's my POV. Don't force people to believe (or not) in God. Never ends well.

.Smaher.

I guess someone didn't read my post properly. I was nowhere near referring to the old testament, nor the bible as a whole.

Actually, I was referring to your post as a whole.

You said:

In terms of my religion, it literally does not tell us to force people to think there is a God, in fact, God encouraged us to spread the religion in a peaceful and friendly way and if people don't accept it,

Ironically, spreading religion in a negative way and being negative as a whole is all in your own bible.

mr quick

^ More likes for this guy. The Bible literally says the exact f*cking opposite of spreading the good word with peace. It also says to spread it peacefully, but it is consistently inconsistent.

Believe what you want, let other people believe what they want. Tha's my POV. Don't force people to believe (or not) in God. Never ends well.

Also get religion the f*ck out of government.

Edited by Marwin

Zapp

Someone didn't understand the old testament.

ok definitely time to quote the ol' biblerino

• if you kill an intruder it's only murder if it's after the sun has risen
  • if a thief has nothing he is to be sold himself
  • if you sleep with someone you are obligated to pay for and marry her
  • a troll woman, whatever the f*ck that is, has no right to live
  • if you dishonor the sabbath(such as doing labor) you must die
  • homosexuals must be killed
  • if you marry a woman and her mother all 3 of you must be burned to death
  • if you have sex with an animal you and it must die
  • if you commit incest both of you must be publicly executed
  • you must support local slave businesses and not buy from other settlements
  • there's an explicit guide to how you should price your slaves
  • if you don't seek the lord you are to be killed
  • if you spread false statements about god/gods your mother and father have to stab you to death

I'm literally just page jumping right now. Have you read the old testament? It's redundant, inconsistent drivel with sexual repression, god's ego inflation, and proper slave owner ettiquette as a focal point.

This is hardly relevant to whatever point you want to make, which is what, by the way? That the OT isn't evil? I'm just quoting random sh*t from it to make a point of how stupid it is.

Also, my question on how you justify supporting gay marriage when your beloved testament literally says that homosexuals have "committed an abomination, their blood is upon them"? Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy you ditched the old gay-hating routine but you can't just pick and choose here.

The Old Testament is to be interpreted in its inherent historical context. As a Catholic, I revert for this and other issues to the New Testament as well as the Catechism of the Catholic church.

.Smaher.

The Old Testament is to be interpreted in its inherent historical context. As a Catholic, I revert for this and other issues to the New Testament as well as the Catechism of the Catholic church.

So, you completely missed over "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." and "I the LORD do not change."

Edited by .Smaher.

mr quick

What the hell is the point of God's guidance if we can just go "nevermind times change"?

fast and bulbous squid

I really don't give a damn about religion... Just keep it to yourself, as in don't say who can and can't get married based on your personal religion, you know... It makes you look like a c*nt.

El Dildo

Atheists are every bit as annoying as hardcore religious types.

Actually, upon typing that, they're worse. At least your hardcore religious types are obsessed over their long term betterment (right or wrong as it may be), atheists are just obsessed with bringing them down to prove their intellectual superiority.

holy sh/t you couldn't be more wrong.

atheists might be annoying sometimes but they're nowhere near as bad for the world as religious people are.

an atheist might get on your nerves but an atheist isn't trying to execute gay people just for being gay.... you're way off base. religious people are truly making the world a worse place to live for minorities and anyone who isn't like they are. the atheist crowd might be full of themselves but at least they're not trying to pass laws that oppress women and children and homosexuals.

huge difference....

Saliva

I don't know why some people believe in and cling to such obvious bullshіt.

.Smaher.

I don't know why some people believe in and cling to such obvious bullshіt.

It gives them some kind of hope.

Zapp

So, you completely missed over "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." and "I the LORD do not change."

Exactly, this is also subject to interpretation. Ponder the following:

John 8:1-11 -“Teacher,” they said to Jesus, “this woman was caught in the act of adultery.The law of Moses says to stone her. What do you say?” They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and wrote in the dust with his finger. They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone! Then he stooped down again and wrote in the dust. When the accusers heard this, they slipped away one by one, beginning with the oldest, until only Jesus was left in the middle of the crowd with the woman.

.Smaher.

I fail to see how that has anything to even do with my quotes.

 dice

The whole world would be a better place if an invisible man was looking over everyones shoulder, judging their every move and action

mr quick

The whole world would be a better place if an invisible man was looking over everyones shoulder, judging their every move and action

f38622bad9e13f61ac4eb0a8fd78f906.png

Zapp

I did, this is what Jesus meant by completing the law.

This is my last post here because this discussion won't end.

.Smaher.

I did, this is what Jesus meant by completing the law.

I'm pretty sure you're just fishing your own meanings here, and taking it out of context as well. The Law and the Prophets are the Old Testament. It's that simple. And what happened to God not changing?

Edited by .Smaher.

Dee.

To say that beliefs are fine as long as they don't affect others is a naive position.

I don't think it is. A person is free to demonstrate their objection to abortion by not having them. A person is free to demonstrate their objection to gay marriage by not getting hitched to a same sex partner. These are things that society has effectively decreed via weight of popular opinion should be allowable, so the increasing desperation through which certain elements of society attempt the fight tooth and nsil against these progressions can't really be seen as much more than the last, desperate grasp to hold on to political influence. In the states you're 20 years behind most of Northern Europe in this kind of stuff- we have openly homosexual prime ministers in the EU and the very idea of that would be ridiculous.

But anyone who apologies for the current actions of the Christian right in the US forgets their legacy. These are the people who, thirty years ago, had their Sunday best hanging next to their Klan robes in their wardrobe. Who complained about the decline of the white ruling classes whilst black youths were being chained to the backs of pick-ups and dragged through towns. The people who tacitly encourage domestic terrorism, both in the forms of anti-abortion violence and the militia movement which has always effectively been intertwined with Christian Patriotism and other unsavoury American beliefs. And that's even before you get onto the subject of religious meddling in education and whitewashing of science and reason.

Preach. My thoughts exactly

Alexander

Only certain thing we can all agree about this topic.

Dee.

Please PLEASE don't turn this thread into some clusterf*ck.

Keep it civil guys. At least try

Irviding

ITT: people sh*t talk Christianity and use people with radical Christian beliefs to paint the entire religion as a bunch of insane lunatics. Sound familiar to discussion on Abrahamic religion?

Edited by Irviding

mr quick

ITT: people sh*t talk Christianity and use people with radical Christian beliefs to paint the entire religion as a bunch of insane lunatics. Sound familiar to discussion on Abrahamic religion?

ITT: people literally quote the Bible.

ITT: people are critical to something which claims to be the answer to everything but has no evidence to support that claim

ITT: people criticize homophobia

ITT: people criticize sexism

Edited by Marwin