Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (93,102 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Mister Pink

Narcos - TV Series - Pablo Escobar - Netflix Original

Mister Pink

narcos02.jpg

Just watched the first episode last night. Loved it! The locations, the lights and colours of Miami in the late 70's and early 80's. It all looks beautiful! I'm a sucker for a good crime story too.

It looks like a lot of budget went in to this. It looks great. It's hard to tell on one episode about characters/story but it looks very very promising. One gripe I have is the narration.. I kind of ruined it by reading a review and the critic mentioned that the narration often points out the obvious and sort of holds your hand and the critic thought that it's sort of insulting it's audience's intelligence.

That's all I could complain about though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2707408/9.3 on IMDB

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/narcos/s01/93%* on Rotten Tomoatoes *Audience Rating

Lebowski_RS

An action series that starts dicussing the relation of Colombia and literary movent of magic realism... It's different, you can see it from the very begining.

José Padilha (director) and Wagner Moura (Pablo Escobar) have worked together in two other awsome movies - "Elite Squad" an "Elite Squad - The Enemy Within". The first one is about the war between drug dealers and the police in Rio de Janeiro, the second digs deeper, exploring the political element of this war.

RussianCommie

Narcos is a kick ass show and I'm enjoying it very much. I'm currently on the 5th episode and can't wait to finish it. According to Wikipedia, it says that the series was shot on location in Columbia, so that's a nice touch, to keep that realism, I guess to say, of the story that its based on. I'm a big fan of these kinds of shows, so I was hooked on it, once I started watching. It's a well done series and I would recommend it to others.

Landotel

This show is really good, I love the cinematic in this show, it delivers. Most, if not all the actors were all really great so far.

My overall rating for season one is a solid 9/10

Mister Pink

Narcos is a kick ass show and I'm enjoying it very much. I'm currently on the 5th episode and can't wait to finish it. According to Wikipedia, it says that the series was shot on location in Columbia, so that's a nice touch, to keep that realism, I guess to say, of the story that its based on. I'm a big fan of these kinds of shows, so I was hooked on it, once I started watching. It's a well done series and I would recommend it to others.

Yeah this level of authenticity goes a long way. Those sweeping landscape locations shots of luscious green hills with the cloudy grey sky looked beautiful.

I love all this to the contrast of the neony Miami

@Lebowski: Yeah Tropa De Elite has been a film I got a few years ago and never got to around to watching. Will try watch it during the week.

Edited by Mister Pink

AlienTwo

I loved this show, but I was sad that the most uninteresting parts (to me) were those dealing with the DEA and Oberyn Martell... Pedro is the only reason I watched this, glad I did, but man... they made his parts boring.

And sometimes the narration was a bit insulting to the viewers intelligence. Could have toned that down a touch.

Johnny Playert

I agree with everyone here. The show starts great and stays great. It feels more like a movie, which makes sense, because it was intended to be a movie at first.

Also i'm glad they didn't hold back in showing just how gruesome Pablo Escobar really was, some people were afraid they were gonna portray him more lovable than he really was, but oh no, he's f*cking brutal tbh.

Alexander

Also i'm glad they didn't hold back in showing just how gruesome Pablo Escobar really was, some people were afraid they were gonna portray him more lovable than he really was, but oh no, he's f*cking brutal tbh.

That was my main concern about Narcos.I

I've seen some stuff in the past about Escobar (like "El Patron del Mal", and "El Capo"), and they were too soft. Pablo Escobar was a dangerous motherf*cker, stop with the nice Pablito.

OH NO

About to start watching this in a bit, heard about it yesterday but these posts really have me interested. Will report back, *salute.*

RussianCommie

To no surprise, Narcos has been renewed for a second season, so hooray for that. I was kind of bummed with how the last episode of the first season ended with

Pablo escaping from jail

and the wait begins now for Season 2. I would guess that most people know of Pablo Escobar, his story, and how it ended for him, but at the same time, I understand why they ended it the way it did. The show is a success and it makes perfect sense for them to keep the viewers hooked in and looking forward to more, in the fashion of Season 2. I recently started watching el Patrón del Mal, it's also on Netflix and about Pablo Escobar, but I'm not sure whether I'll be able to manage through the whole series. It's 1 season, but it consists of like 74-75 episodes, so that's still up to discussion. I only watched the first two episodes, so i can't really make any judgement of the show, it's more of a matter of that the show will definitely pick up, but I've yet to get there, so everything, for now, is slowly leading to what Pablo Escobar eventually becomes.

Edited by RussianCommie

feckyerlife

I am a fan of this show, at first i was skeptical about it. but they actually did a good job with the direction and production. Obviously this show will end after next season.. Hopefully the producers do another show like this..say on Salvatore Riina.. similar kind of story as pablos

OH NO

I am a fan of this show, at first i was skeptical about it. but they actually did a good job with the direction and production. Obviously this show will end after next season.. Hopefully the producers do another show like this..say on Salvatore Riina.. similar kind of story as pablos

Im about four or five episodes in and its great, ive been wondering just how long it can go on for and hoping they dont stretch it out too long, its pretty much immediately apparent that something short and concise would be much more effective. Probably finish it over the next few days

Claptrap NL

Is it worth watching it? Because now I see people on social media talking sh*t as if they're Pablo Escobar himself.

Edited by Claptrap NL

RussianCommie

Is it worth watching it? Because now I see people on social media talking sh*t as if they're Pablo Escobar himself.

Definitely worth watching, in my opinion. It's a well done show. As for the social media part, that's new to me :blink: .

OH NO

people on social media talking sh*t as if they're Pablo Escobar himself.

Elaborate on this please.

Claptrap NL

Definitely worth watching, in my opinion. It's a well done show. As for the social media part, that's new to me :blink: .

I see a tv show, now I think I'm the one this show is going all about .

Same with the Scarface movie were Al Pacino plays him, when some people see it, they think they're Scarface....

Edited by Claptrap NL

Mister Pink

Hmm.. I've never heard of anyone thinking they were Tony Montana after watching Scarface. Maybe there's a feeling of bravado after watching a tough-guy flick like that.

Back on topic. It's worth watching. Another ctritism I have is that the guy playing Murphy or the just Murphy himself is weak. I can't really say I'm impressed.

That doesn't detract from the show though

Edited by Mister Pink

AlienTwo

Hmm.. I've never heard of anyone thinking they were Tony Montana after watching Scarface. Maybe there's a feeling of bravado after watching a tough-guy flick like that.

Back on topic. It's worth watching. Another ctritism I have is that the guy playing Murphy or the just Murphy himself is weak. I can't really say I'm impressed.

That doesn't detract from the show though

My thoughts exactly. And I already said this, but his voice-over sometimes is a little over ham-fisted.

Otter

The voice-over actually made me feel like the show was Americanized after the fact. Felt like narrative glue.

But that's nitpicking. Such a well-done series on all fronts. My Salvadoran pal tells me the accents are terrible (very Spanish) but that don't really register for me. Ha.

You know who's god-damned bad ass? Colonel Carillo.

AlienTwo

The voice-over actually made me feel like the show was Americanized after the fact. Felt like narrative glue.

But that's nitpicking. Such a well-done series on all fronts. My Salvadoran pal tells me the accents are terrible (very Spanish) but that don't really register for me. Ha.

Yes, 100%. I loved the show, that was just the worst part of an otherwise excellent production.

Dutch Psycho

I'm not spanish at all. So i don't hear any wrong accent at all. Imo this show is very good.

feckyerlife

well the guy whose playing Pablo is Brazilian i would get why his accent would be off, but most of the other ones are from Spanish speaking South American.

AlienTwo

well the guy whose playing Pablo is Brazilian i would get why his accent would be off, but most of the other ones are from Spanish speaking South American.

It's not like all the countries in S. America have the same accent... it's a fairly large continent.

Otter

Nah sorry a lot of the actors are apparently Spanish (iE from from Spain) so their accents are, again apparently, kinda European. Or so I'm told.

feckyerlife

It's not like all the countries in S. America have the same accent... it's a fairly large continent.

well that is true but a lot of my south american friends say its more different between people from Spain and South/Central American than in between the south american countries.

AlienTwo

well that is true but a lot of my south american friends say its more different between people from Spain and South/Central American than in between the south american countries.

I'd imagine that's pretty accurate in most cases. A Texas accent is closer to a Californian one than an English, but a deep southern, creole accent is farther away from California than an English one, I bet it's similar down there too. I only really know the Peruvian, Mexian and Chilean.

Zyo

From what I have seen the language is quite "castellano" as in it is distinct, clear spanish. Columbians do speak quite differently and have a lot of slang thats not found elsewhere. Quite often I have been out with a couple of columbians and someone (whos speaks perfect spanish) will turn to me and ask "what language are those guys speaking?"

Anyways it is something I have been quite interested in seeing for a while as I do know a bit about modern columbian culture and history. The opening of the series is quite good, but does seem a bit americanized so far, a bit like Blow, and I do hope they don't romanticise the character of Escobar. Wasn't entirely convinced by the casting of Wagner Moura as Escobar, but I could be persuaded.

Edited by Zyo

OH NO

I see a tv show, now I think I'm the one this show is going all about .

Same with the Scarface movie were Al Pacino plays him, when some people see it, they think they're Scarface....

haha, i would have asked for examples. If you ever try to sneak back in here with a new account, please provide examples.

Im almost at the end of narcos, i dont mind the voice over, i feel it suitably faded (more) into the background after being quite prevalent in the opening episodes. Murphy himself is something of a weak point though, I agree. Not a charismatic performance really but the voice over itself I can handle. I like Pena. Carillo is definitely a bad mf, and wagner is decent though..

im only just past the episode where gustavo is killed, and wagners gone all scary and dead eyed with his portrayal of escobar, i like it but have to see how that plays out. Also Re the actual plot, assuming that whole storyline involving funding M19 to storm the government building and burn his records is completely true, thats hell of a power move, as is the Jail.

but yeah all in all, very decent show, and other than Daredevil a lot of series have struggled to hold my attention recently.

RussianCommie

im only just past the episode where gustavo is killed, and wagners gone all scary and dead eyed with his portrayal of escobar, i like it but have to see how that plays out. Also Re the actual plot, assuming that whole storyline involving funding M19 to storm the government building and burn his records is completely true, thats hell of a power move, as is the Jail.

Yes, those parts are both true and they did actually happen.

Regarding the M19 storming the Palace of Justice, as far as I know, Pablo Escobar did personally pay them in cash, as well as, weapons and explosives for the operation to happen. Pablo Escobar's main intention was for the M19 to burn various files that concerned many criminals, so there would be no grounds of proof for them to be able to be extradited. Everything else that happened with the siege, the 11 Supreme Court Justices and other fatalities, that was the cause of the M19 and Pablo Escobar had no plans for that to happen, as far as I know.

In regards to him building his own prison, La Catedral, that was one term that Pablo Escobar had with his negotiations with the Colombian Government. Pablo Escobar was given free reign, by the Colombian Government, to build the prison to his liking. He personally picked the guards who surrounded the person, as well as, how the design would look. What you see in Narcos, in relation to the prison, is basically what it was in reality. They had a soccer field built in the prison, they had all kinds of games within the prison, visitors were able to come and go, as they pleased.

Edited by RussianCommie

OH NO

Yes, ......

cheers bro, bit mashed so ill respond fully to your points later..but spoiler that sh*t in case people read the thread without having finished the series.

Edited by OH NO