3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Question about building pc

tomstud12

Hi guy's

I decided to build my own pc but i'm not a wizard with building pc so i came here and if anyone could help me figure out some stuff.

I'm building a gaming pc that will run gta v on high setting and if in the budget then on higher setting's as well.

My budget would be about 300 to 400 euros but it can go over, like if water cooling is better but expensive then that's okay.

1) Can i buy any pc tower and the motherboard and other stuff will fit in?

2) Which is better for cooling, using fans or water cooling?

3) What motherboard, processor,ram are good for playing new game like gta v on high or very high or ultra

I know it's not great description or anything but if anyone can help me out then i appreciate it or if anyone has websites that can help me out.
Edited by tomstud12

I'm building a gaming pc that will run gta v on high setting

My budget would be about 300 to 400 euros

Sorry but that's not going to happen. I don't know where you live or what the prices are like for you but I have a friend in Romania where it cost's 2-300 euro just for a GTX960, and that will only get you med to lowhigh settings.

You will need a mid-high end i5 or AMD equivalent, a GTX970 or AMD equivalent, 16GB of RAM, 650+ watt PSU and a decent motherboard.

Go on my profile and have a look at my system. I'd say I have a pretty beefy PC, but I still don't have all the (advanced)settings in GTA V to max, and that's after spending nearly $2000 AUD on it.

Edited by Crystal3lf

1) A normal full size chassis will be able to fit almost all types or motherboard.

2) Water cooling IS better but you must get a decent AIO or custom loop to beat air cooling.

3) Motherboard does not really matter but it must have the right cpu socket for the cpu that you are buying. If it's a budget build, get AMD FX cpus or not Intel will always be better. Ram brands does not really matter but the speed does and get 8gb or more.

Sorry but that's not going to happen. I don't know where you live or what the prices are like for you but I have a friend in Romania where it cost's 2-300 euro just for a GTX960, and that will only get you med to lowhigh settings.

You will need a mid-high end i5 or AMD equivalent, a GTX970 or AMD equivalent, 16GB of RAM, 650+ watt PSU and a decent motherboard.

Go on my profile and have a look at my system. I'd say I have a pretty beefy PC, but I still don't have all the (advanced)settings in GTA V to max, and that's after spending nearly $2000 AUD on it.

Yeah I live in Romania too and my 980ti costed 900$, 250$ more than in the UK

Hi guy's
I decided to build my own pc but i'm not a wizard with building pc so i came here and if anyone could help me figure out some stuff.
I'm building a gaming pc that will run gta v on high setting and if in the budget then on higher setting's as well.
My budget would be about 300 to 400 euros but it can go over, like if water cooling is better but expensive then that's okay.
3) What motherboard, processor,ram are good for playing new game like gta v on high or very high or ultra
I know it's not great description or anything but if anyone can help me out then i appreciate it or if anyone has websites that can help me out.

Oh dear.. you really are new to PC gaming.

1) Yes, as long as the case is big enough. There are different sized cases and different size hardware that require varying amounts of space. I have a full sized case which is gigantic but it gives me pleeeenty of room to fit anything I want in there. You need to pick your motherboard carefully. Not all hardware is compatible with eachother. For example, if you get an old motherboard that doesn't support PCI-Express (a type of port for video cards), then you won't be able to plug in an up to date video card and will need to upgrade your motherboard again.

2) Water cooling is generally a secondary means of cooling your system. It's more expensive and is usually done alongside fans. Almost all PC hardware already comes with fans attached to them. Video cards have fans, processors have fans, even motherboards have fans now. And of course, the actual tower usually comes equipped with fans and generally allows you add more fans. I've never used watercooling and have never had a heating problem.

3) You're going to need at least 8 gb of DDR3 RAM for a game like GTAV. I use 16gb, but that's overkill. For a processor, make sure you get at least an i5 or better. Check to make sure the speed is at least 3.0Ghz or faster. Motherboards aren't really responsible for how fast a game runs. I'm sure they are to some degree, but not as much as a video card. A video card is where you get all the performance for video games. If you want to run GTAV at some of the highest settings, you'll want to have at least a gtx 780 or higher. I'm using a 780 now and it runs the game great! It won't max the game out though. A gtx 980 ti will max it out, but will set you back quite a bit in terms of price.

300-400 Euros?! LOL

Give up on that pipe dream. You want high settings? You have to pay a high price. Welcome to PC gaming.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Nick930930

1) A normal full size chassis will be able to fit almost all types or motherboard.

2) Water cooling IS better but you must get a decent AIO or custom loop to beat air cooling.

3) Motherboard does not really matter but it must have the right cpu socket for the cpu that you are buying. If it's a budget build, get AMD FX cpus or not Intel will always be better. Ram brands does not really matter but the speed does and get 8gb or more.

Hi guy's

Oh dear.. you really are new to PC gaming.

1) Yes, as long as the case is big enough. There are different sized cases and different size hardware that require varying amounts of space. I have a full sized case which is gigantic but it gives me pleeeenty of room to fit anything I want in there. You need to pick your motherboard carefully. Not all hardware is compatible with eachother. For example, if you get an old motherboard that doesn't support PCI-Express (a type of port for video cards), then you won't be able to plug in an up to date video card and will need to upgrade your motherboard again.

2) Water cooling is generally a secondary means of cooling your system. It's more expensive and is usually done alongside fans. Almost all PC hardware already comes with fans attached to them. Video cards have fans, processors have fans, even motherboards have fans now. And of course, the actual tower usually comes equipped with fans and generally allows you add more fans. I've never used watercooling and have never had a heating problem.

3) You're going to need at least 8 gb of DDR3 RAM for a game like GTAV. I use 16gb, but that's overkill. For a processor, make sure you get at least an i5 or better. Check to make sure the speed is at least 3.0Ghz or faster. Motherboards aren't really responsible for how fast a game runs. I'm sure they are to some degree, but not as much as a video card. A video card is where you get all the performance for video games. If you want to run GTAV at some of the highest settings, you'll want to have at least a gtx 780 or higher. I'm using a 780 now and it runs the game great! It won't max the game out though. A gtx 980 ti will max it out, but will set you back quite a bit in terms of price.

300-400 Euros?! LOL

Give up on that pipe dream. You want high settings? You have to pay a high price. Welcome to PC gaming.

Hope this helps.

Thank's guys you really helped me out with that i know the basic stuff off the pc components it's just my first time building my own rig, and the budget is low cause got a new job and not able to afford at the moment until like 5 months or so but then starting to build a pc in a desk with water coolant.

So i found some stuff that would run gta v on high.

1)

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 GHz

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) i can also upgrade ram to 16gb
2)
Processor: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz
Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit
I assume choice 2 is better or? but comes 250euro dearer then choice 1
Question is would there be a much different in the settings anyone know?
Edited by tomstud12

So i found some stuff that would run gta v on high and it's in my budget.

Im assuming this is a different budget than the one mentioned earlier, coz if your getting that lot in the €300-400, I want in!!

So i found some stuff that would run gta v on high and it's in my budget.

Im assuming this is a different budget than the one mentioned earlier, coz if your getting that lot in the €300-400, I want in!!

Yeah as you guy's said that i won't build a pc in that budget so changed my mind and choice 1 came up to about 450-500 but that's not with postage and choice 2 came up to about 700-800 and that's the price for all the items that a pc must have.

1)

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 GHz

2)
[...]
Okay so your saying that the first option is enough to play gta on medium setting's?

First option is more than enough for medium. The 2nd option has a notch up on each line tho (and unessassry double ram, 8GB will do). There is a little more to consider, since the first is a locked CPU, while the 4690K can be OC'd nicely (and easily).

An idea on how the GPU's measure up

_id1429106197_1.jpg

Keep in mind, those are V.high settings. You could get acceptable fps with a R280 notching back some settings.

The difference between the 2 CPUs you selected would be very small (and are always secondary to the GPU in terms of gaming, thats where your main spend should be going). But for a bit more longevity, getting a CPU that can OC will last that bit longer, games are slowly but surely making better use of them.

Out of curiosity, where are you looking to buy from?

Edited by swirler

1)Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 GHz

2)

[...]

Okay so your saying that the first option is enough to play gta on medium setting's?

First option is more than enough for medium. The 2nd option has a notch up on each line tho (and unessassry double ram, 8GB will do). There is a little more to consider, since the first is a locked CPU, while the 4690K can be OC'd nicely (and easily).

An idea on how the GPU's measure up

_id1429106197_1.jpg

Keep in mind, those are V.high settings. You could get acceptable fps with a R280 notching back some settings.

The difference between the 2 CPUs you selected would be very small (and are always secondary to the GPU in terms of gaming, thats where your main spend should be going). But for a bit more longevity, getting a CPU that can OC will last that bit longer, games are slowly but surely making better use of them.

Out of curiosity, where are you looking to buy from?

Well I'm just looking for a website that has all the parts and if not maybe eBay or different sites and just looking for cheapest as well.

And one more question I assume that second hand pc components isn't a good idea or am I wrong?

I got 8 gb ram as well on my old pc runs great to but just wanted to make sure and a 16gb is just 20euro dearer

Personally i would go for the first build. I have the r9 280 and it is running GTA V on high/very high settings with ease. and 8gb are more than enough.

Personally i would go for the first build. I have the r9 280 and it is running GTA V on high/very high settings with ease. and 8gb are more than enough.

Okay thanks you helped me out here :)

I have the sapphire one. If you can deal with noise then go for it. Otherwise i would suggest MSI. It is slightly overclocked and not that loud but a bit more expensive.

If you are on a tight budget, something else you might want to consider is buying parts in stages instead of all at once. You could buy a good processor and 8 GB of ram, and motherboard and run off integrated graphics (*shudder*) for a month or two. Then when you have saved up some more you could buy a real video card and more memory if you think you would need it (I doubt you would need more than 8 GB of memory). Then if you really want you could look into water cooling (it isn't necessary at all though). Then you could invest in a SSD, a better mouse, a better keyboard, a better monitor, etc. That way you don't spend $2000 all at once, and forget to save money for food and living expenses along the way. Just a suggestion. We all want the biggest, baddest Gaming PC in the world, but one of the nicest things about PC gaming is that is that is so upgradeable. So, buying parts in stages (and when they are on sale) might be the smarter way to go about it.