3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Mattress on bed frame or floor?

Elder Maxson

Elder Maxson

When my family moved to our current house about 5 years ago, we kept our mattresses but we brought brand new bed frames, except for me, because I offered to save my family money and that the bed frame would just take up more space in my new room.

Fast forward today, I'm still sleeping on a mattress on a floor. I don't have any health or back issues and my room is relatively clean (except for the one piece of underwear and Mountain Dew bottle on the floor). The mattress is also still in good condition since it was brought back in 2007. However, my mom keeps saying that me sleeping on the floor makes me look like a bum and that I could use the extra storage, but I keep insisting that I can handle it, and that I'm expecting to move out to my own apartment within the next 7 months.

Should I just get the bed frame for the next few months (and maybe use it at my new crib), or just keep my mattress on the floor?

Just get yourself a bed frame. If you get a decent one they last for years. I recently picked up a new wooden one for about £250. It just finishes off the room, especially if you have room under it to put stuff there then it will save a ton of space. Especially if you plan to move out and might need the extra room to hide stuff down the line. Basically, stop living like a f*cking bum.

Throw that mountain dew bottle away, you animal.

I've been sleeping on the floor for the past 3 months without a mattress. My back's never felt better.

• Like 2

A bed frame gets you off the floor out of the way of drafts, and the floor is also the coldest place to be in winter. Get a bed frame.

I have a bed frame and a boxspring.. but I've always had the urge to just sleep without them :p Seems cool as hell but with my fear of any crawling insects or mice, it'll never happen.

• Like 2

VWSTp.png

ghost of delete key

Got a framed bed right now, but it's part of the furnishings - I don't own one, and slept on floor mattresses and down bedrolls for ages.

Scratchy's right, awesome for the back, as long as you have enough cushion to prevent pressure points.

I've always added a roll of space foam over the top, the stuff is freaking incredible.

As far as what you should do?

Meh, it's your bed and sleeping habits, personally I'd stick to that and say nothanx.

But hey, your Ma wubs ya, and even if it's only an opinion, what the hey?

You could make her happy (less shrill?) and drop a few wampum on a cheap folding frame.

No harm, no foul.

• Like 1

scagv35.jpg

"I can just imagine him driving off the edge of a cliff like Thelma & Louise, playing his Q:13 mix at full volume, crying into a bottle." - Craig

A bed frame doesn't cost much these days if you shop around.

There are no major adverse effects of sleeping on the floor (just inconveniences like dust as people have mentioned), but you may as well get a frame as it looks smarter and is easier to climb into bed.

The sooner you buy one, the sooner you will get use out of it, it's not like bed frames have an expiry date. If money is an issue I am sure you will find something on Craigslist or other classifieds as people are usually desperate to get rid of bulky items like that when moving house etc.

Edited by epoxi

9H7Sj34.jpg

Masketta Man

I did the same thing for a couple years, and about a year ago I got a big IKEA bed frame for it.

Pros:
- Having just a mattress, it's easy to move furniture around.
- It's fun being a non-conformist.
- The bed becomes part of the room rather than a seperate entity. You could toss an alarm clock or standing suit of armor onto the bed and it'd be okay.
- It's a lot easier to re-sheet, assuming you tuck your bed into a corner like most people do(?).
- Jack Black did this in school of rock. He's a pretty cool guy.

Cons:
- Without a bed frame you lose some springiness. The hard floor is only a foot or so below you, and your back knows the difference.
- Dust, roaches, etc. get into the bed very easily. I remember one night watching a spider crawl across the floor. As soon as it changed direction and started coming toward me I knew I was in mortal danger.
- Your family thinks you're a deadbeat.
- Other people you tell about it think you're a deadbeat.

Other:
- The extra space under the bed isn't good for anything unless you draw a face on a paper plate and put glue on the chin, then you can have a bearded paper plate!
- We've (my family) gone through about eight cheap bedframes in ten years. Make sure you're thinking about sturdiness. Cheap wood will always snap.
- Another option is putting bricks or milk crates at the corner of the mattress as feet. You need a box spring, but it works!

I don't like having the huge bulky IKEA bed frame, it's a pain in the ass to move and I just know it's going to fall apart some day. Sometimes mattress stores sell a cheap barebones frame, metal, with wheels. I think it's ideal for someone just moving up from the floor.

ElZbBAj.jpg

But stick with the ground if you really enjoy it. :^:

Edited by Masketta Man
  • Like 2

If anything, a bed frame could help you get more space, like the ability to store stuff under the bed.

Even with a bed fram that doesnt let you store anything under it, the frame should only take up an inch or 2 in all directions larger than the mattress itself, not much space to save anyway

The Dedito Gae

Keep the mattress alone, i remember i used to sleep in the floor and my back was better than ever, i also woke up easier, now on my couch, i stay there for hours.

Besides, this way The Boogeyman doesn't have anywhere to hide.

Edited by Midnight Hitman
  • Like 1

Get a nice wooden bed frame. Mine's starting to look a little worse for wear these days, but it's older than probably about 90% of GTAF and is still kicking.

Get the frame. There WILL come a time where sleeping on a mattress will not work for you. I slept on just a mattress for years. Eventually, you will grow tired of it and so will your body. Get the frame now and save yourself the trouble that will occur sooner or later.

Lose the mattress, pansy.

• Like 3

4XEtraA.jpg

ghost of delete key

dust

dust

dust

Buy a vacuum cleaner, not a bedframe.

• Like 2

scagv35.jpg

"I can just imagine him driving off the edge of a cliff like Thelma & Louise, playing his Q:13 mix at full volume, crying into a bottle." - Craig

I got a queen sized one for my apartment 89.00 and it does the job. Wouldn't mind putting the mattress on the floor though.

On the floor. It's edgier.

Well, technically speaking...

It's planar.

• Like 1

4XEtraA.jpg

Niko Montana

Get the bed frame, even if it's a cheap one. Like The7thOne said, it has many benefits. I've had to sleep with a mattress on the floor before, and I didn't like it one bit.

Lower is nice, but you need air to flow below, so give it some space.