2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Little curiosity about LCS...

Hi at all! I've replayed LCS on my PC using a PSP emulator, and I've noticed a thing:

don't you think that LCS and VCS are based on the Vice City engine, do you?

They are very similar, apart from some animations... So, if it's true, is possible to get planes like the Dodo in LCS by editing some files like the vehicles.ide?

Light me, please!

Edited by FonzTech

Hi at all! I've replayed LCS on my PC using a PSP emulator, and I've noticed a thing:

They are very similar, apart from some animations... So, if it's true, is possible to get planes like the Dodo in LCS by editing some files like the vehicles.ide?

Light me, please!

It's based on Renderware, yes, but it's not Renderware, it's R*'s ''remake'' of it with their own tools, which probably made development better for them. http://gtaforums.com/topic/286484-lcss-engine/?p=4377658

Lol....Actually LCS has the WORST performance out of the entire 3D Era (III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS). Very bad framerate issues on PSP and PS2...

Furthermore, LCS and VCS both share the same similarities as SA with the rotating camera, heavier vehicles, physics, etc, etc...

Edited by Militia

^ So you finally agree with me? LCS is the worst but I guess it is still playable.

Do you want to know something weird? GTA III also has some similar issues regarding frame rate that you can encounter on all platforms (except PS2 maybe). I encountered this on an old PC where III performs significantly worse than Vice City. The Xbox and Android versions show this difference as well. On Android I was able to max out the graphics on my Galaxy S2 in Vice City but not in III (which performed worse either way). I guess LC is cursed or something lol.

Edited by Kristian.

Yes, I do. Now that you mentioned it and am doing my Starter Save, I am noticing the lag really bad...When I am running through the subway tunnels underground to SI after Ghosting through the gate, sometimes even the Subway Train glitches out and appears to be driving zig-zag-like. All while the framerate drops off a cliff. I also hear Vehicles exploding and sometimes they randomly fall down to the Subway, too. I don't know what is going on, but I surely notice it. I also notice LCS has the WORST traffic known to man. It's either the Traffic Glitch, or they made the rate of Vehicles spawn WAY too much on LCS. Everywhere I turn, like 5 Cars/Bikes spawn. It's really annoying, actually. This is the good thing about the existence of Heavy Vehicles, though. That is why I love them, since the traffic is so bad, I can plow through it all without even worrying about anything, lol...

Truly, I have NO problems with III, but there is a significant problem with LCS and a LITTLE with VCS, but not as bad as LCS. LCS takes the cake for being the worst optimized by far...Lol

It's using Rockstar Leeds 3D Engine which is also used in VCS and Manhunt2. As said in thread where Mega send us

About the framerate on PSP, i had to overclock it via flashed PSP and play it from memory stick instead of UMD, after that game is not lagging much and load times are very fast

The game's load times are no problem for me, but me and Kristian are playing on PS2...and I am specifically playing it on BC PS3...

It's easy to answer: Sloppy R* port

Do you want to know something weird? GTA III also has some similar issues regarding frame rate that you can encounter on all platforms (except PS2 maybe). I encountered this on an old PC where III performs significantly worse than Vice City. The Xbox and Android versions show this difference as well. On Android I was able to max out the graphics on my Galaxy S2 in Vice City but not in III (which performed worse either way). I guess LC is cursed or something lol.

Ye this, gta3 is first 3D gta we all know so R* ofc had some problem with optimizing like GTA4, first big openworld game using RAGE. That's doesn't play very well especially on PC. And same goes for android port of GTA3

• Like 2

The only problem I have with III on iOS is when I get a wanted level and cops are behind me following me and there is multiple sirens, you just hear blip, bleep, bleep, blip, blip sounds. Happens also in VC iOS, too. I like all the Mobile Ports, but I never have problems with III on PS2 or iOS with bad framerate or whatever. What I said above about LCS is NOWHERE near like III. LCS is king of bad framerate, regardless of what platform you play on...

Yes, I do. Now that you mentioned it and am doing my Starter Save, I am noticing the lag really bad...When I am running through the subway tunnels underground to SI after Ghosting through the gate, sometimes even the Subway Train glitches out and appears to be driving zig-zag-like. All while the framerate drops off a cliff. I also hear Vehicles exploding and sometimes they randomly fall down to the Subway, too. I don't know what is going on, but I surely notice it. I also notice LCS has the WORST traffic known to man. It's either the Traffic Glitch, or they made the rate of Vehicles spawn WAY too much on LCS. Everywhere I turn, like 5 Cars/Bikes spawn. It's really annoying, actually. This is the good thing about the existence of Heavy Vehicles, though. That is why I love them, since the traffic is so bad, I can plow through it all without even worrying about anything, lol...

Truly, I have NO problems with III, but there is a significant problem with LCS and a LITTLE with VCS, but not as bad as LCS. LCS takes the cake for being the worst optimized by far...Lol

Do you remember playing the last San Andreas mission on the PS2\PS3? When that whole building burns down the frame rate drops to under 10 sometimes probably even under 5 FPS on the Xbox and on PC if you have a crappy computer. There are also problems in shadowy areas since SA has dynamic shadows (though on PC the problem is non-existent on newer computers but it was a problem at the time if you met the recommended requirements and switched the FX setting to enable dynamic shadows). Those are the only moments in a GTA game that are worse than LCS' general performance.

I know that subway glitch and I encounter it all the time. It's really funny and I once almost died when a vehicle dropped into the subway and blew up. I was cautious with subways ever since lol.

Regarding vehicle density (and perhaps NPC density as well), it might actually be the cause of the game's poor performance at least partially. Add to that the fact that they introduced real-time reflections for cars which may also drain some significant resources (at first I thought the reflection was just a texture but I noticed how it reflected the environment after a while). The draw distance seemed better than III too. I don't know why the testers and everyone else involved didn't think that the frame rate was bad enough to warrant some changes or improvements. I also don't get why they went back to the splash\loading screens for each island. San Andreas didn't have that and it's annoying to be interrupted every time you go to a new area. I don't get why they had to make the subway its own area (with its own loading screen) as if it was a different island. GTA III was able to handle that just fine without a loading screen.

Edited by Kristian.

LOL...I thought the explosions when you leave the Crack Palace and CJ running in slow motion was supposed to happen like that :D

True. I don't like that loading screen on LCS, either. VCS has it, too. But both LCS and VCS still have a 1.5 second load time when going to the other islands. It's not very long.

No. I meant the part where you have to extinguish the fire and get out (or you can just walk through it if you've completed "Firefighter"). Once Tempenny leaves and the building starts to burn down the game just dies on Xbox because there are too many particle effects (smoke and fire) on the screen and the console can't handle it.

Maybe on PS3. It takes a few seconds on my PS2. I get the kind of loading times you mention on my modded Xbox with III and VC since I'm running them from an HDD. SA loads as fast as it does on PC too.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I never played these GTA's on the Physical PS2 since 2006. When I bought the BC PS3 in 2008, I sold my Phat PS2, but a couple months back bought a brand new one and only played them on it for a brief moment, but the loading times on the PS2 are a bit slower than on PS3. On PS3, I have no problems with any of them except LCS, lol...

Looking at classic xbox version of SA in last mission. I don't see any lags there

Light me, please!

Yes, it's clear that Liberty city stories is based on VC engine- it has lots of VC leftovers. The Dodo can be spawned with the Cheat Device, but you can't fly it. You can also spawn lots of other unused vehicles like helicopters- Hunter, VCN Helicopter for example, or obtain one in a legit way:

On the PS2, the doors are, for some odd reason, unlocked.

Looking at classic xbox version of SA in last mission. I don't see any lags there

Weird. He might be playing the game on the 360 which seems to eliminate the performance problems (but it comes with its own bugs).

I can't be my Xbox or can it? It should perform badly all the time, not just in some areas. I urge anyone who has an Xbox classic and a copy of SA to play the last mission or "Burning Desire" and see what happens when there's lots of smoke and fire on the screen.

jam8tone's 100% walkthrough Guide is the Xbox Version...I watched all his Videos a long time ago and never saw any problems there, either.

@0909090, Yeah on PS2 the doors of the Maverick are unlocked. I get it this way. Too bad I can't get the FP Maverick, which is a PSP Exclusive, since blown up Vehicles don't restore in the Garages on PS2. Furthermore, it's the same thing as the Heavy Fire Truck, on PSP...Doors are locked. PS2, door is unlocked. There is minor (yet big) differences between both PS2 and PSP.