2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Sniper Draw Distance...

GhillieMaster

GhillieMaster

I swear half the time when I try to snipe someone I'm fully zoomed in with the heavy sniper and I can't see them but they can see me and shoot at me. It's really frustrating and unfair how they can just get easy shots on me while I'm just moving up like a sitting duck hoping they render in! Does anyone else have this issue? I'm on next generation by the way.

• Like 4

There is a sniper guide in the "Guides & Strategies" section and is very detailed. It also explains the draw distance with images. You might want to check it out :)

GhillieMaster

There is a sniper guide in the "Guides & Strategies" section and is very detailed. It also explains the draw distance with images. You might want to check it out :)

I know the draw distances but it still doesn't make sense how I'm rendered on his screen but he's not on my screen.

I know the draw distances but it still doesn't make sense how I'm rendered on his screen but he's not on my screen.

You can still snipe a player if they are not on your screen. It just takes a wild guess where they are by looking at the map then taking the shot. One good example would be: You can see players a lot further when they are in vehicles (their character actually appears), however if they were to get out of the car, they would disappear. If you were to take aim as soon as they get out and shut the door you would probably hit them even though you can't see them. So, basically I'm saying that the player that shot you probably took a lucky blind shot and hit you. If its not this, then I have no idea, sorry.

• Like 2

This happens to me all the time and I am on ps4. I thought it was because i have a sh*tty connection but I think it happens to everyone once in awhile since it's easy to know when you are the one with the render issue, but it's not as easy to spot when your opponent is having issues. But you are right it feels like I am always the one with the rendering issue.. :panic:

knightsgarage

Turn on players over head display and you can see they name tag very clearly at scope.

Yeah happens to me too, current gen. I've always figured others have the same problems so it evens it's self out over time.

• Like 1

GrandMaster Smith

You can see the light from their gun after they fire which helps to pintpoint where to shoot.

I can snipe from the top of LSC in the center of the map to the helipad on the towers, After the intersection it gets hard to see people, they show in vehicles. and on the helipad you go by a disappearing dot. BUT aim where you think they are also helps (Blind shot)

I know the draw distances but it still doesn't make sense how I'm rendered on his screen but he's not on my screen.Rexx gave you the best advice...look it up instead of getting it in bits and pieces.

http://gtaforums.com/forum/296-guides-strategies/

http://gtaforums.com/topic/706263-how-are-some-of-you-so-quick-with-your-sniper-rifle/?fromsearch=1

Edited by TreFacTor

sweat pants boner

yeah its pretty sad the marksman rifle has long draw distance than heavy sniper

no it doesn't. See op...this is the type of thing you are going to knock your head against. Edited by TreFacTor

no it doesn't. See op...this is the type of thing you are going to knock your head against.

Dafuq? :lol:

Smooth Longsack

It's because you appear offline. Lol

Marksman aside, we all know that players render at greater distances in a car, that you can look for the gunfire or take an educated guess at where they are.

That's the art of sniping in a game with poor draw distance, but I think the OP means that out in the street, sniper v sniper, both out of range, both trying to work out where each other are, then all of a sudden before you see them, THUD. You've had it.

This is happening to me also, but I think I've now learned my lesson?

Correct me if I'm wrong people, but I think it was MY mistake. I'd walk in while aiming hoping to see them, but they see me first.

I think your movement is the problem and you render to them before they to you. Stand your ground, have them move in, it may work in your favour?

Then again for all I know it could be an uphill/downhill thing. The above is my best, educated guess.

• Like 1

GhillieMaster

This happens to me all the time and I am on ps4. I thought it was because i have a sh*tty connection but I think it happens to everyone once in awhile since it's easy to know when you are the one with the render issue, but it's not as easy to spot when your opponent is having issues. But you are right it feels like I am always the one with the rendering issue.. :panic:

Yea there's no way it's connection I have really fast internet and it happens to me. Although I notice it more in lobbies that are really laggy.

I believe it's render distance based on texture density. IE; if on ground looking up to building roof, render distance is greater than looking down at street level. Or looking out towards ocean as opposed to looking at city. Etc. To put it simply....whoever has the least textures to render wins the draw distance..

Smooth Longsack

And are you seriously...? OP has sniped more people than anyone i know lol. He's got probably 10k sniper kills. No bs.

JohnDoe7125539271

I believe it's render distance based on texture density. IE; if on ground looking up to building roof, render distance is greater than looking down at street level. Or looking out towards ocean as opposed to looking at city. Etc. To put it simply....whoever has the least textures to render wins the draw distance.

Exactly this.

And are you seriously...? OP has sniped more people than anyone i know lol. He's got probably 10k sniper kills. No bs.

Then he's a proud sniper. It's quite understandable that he wants answers to this.

GhillieMaster

I believe it's render distance based on texture density. IE; if on ground looking up to building roof, render distance is greater than looking down at street level. Or looking out towards ocean as opposed to looking at city. Etc. To put it simply....whoever has the least textures to render wins the draw distance.

Exactly this.

That's really poor on Rockstars part for fair sniping. I guess GTA wasn't made to be realistic and all but still I mean that's not fair at all. I guess il just have to find a spot with terrible textures then to snipe.

CrysisAverted

On the bright side it makes me wet whenever I snipe someone so far I can't even see them.

• Like 2

On the bright side it makes me wet whenever I snipe someone so far I can't even see them.

:lol:

Which is good and all I don't doubt the OP's proficiency. But surely accuracy and headshots are far more important. This glitch effects those.

Yeah had this problem myself (PS4).

I will be in a sniper battle and all of a sudden I see bullets flying towards me out of thin air exactly from the area where I'm zoomed in at. It is always the spamming rifle too (MR).

I'm starting to wonder if the Marksman actually has a greater range rendering wise as I never have this problem from a player of their using the Heavy too. It's always the Marksman rifle I encounter doing this and it's extremely annoying as I'll be zoomed in with my Heavy and bullets are literally flying out of the air without the player being at all present.

I have most my kills with the sniper rifles so I am not exactly a bad shot but this really does bug me and makes the game pretty stupid really. I mean it becomes clearer everyday I play GTAO that this wasn't designed for PvP with some of the dumbass mechanics it has.

I believe it's render distance based on texture density. IE; if on ground looking up to building roof, render distance is greater than looking down at street level. Or looking out towards ocean as opposed to looking at city. Etc. To put it simply....whoever has the least textures to render wins the draw distance..

Yes, I think this is right. Try going on top of Arcadius and scoping someone near LSC. If they're not in a vehicle you probably won't see them. Yet if someone's on the grass patch between the two parallel roads just to the side you see them even when they're much further away than LSC.

BlackHeartedGovernor

It is a real pain in the ass, I've been killed so many times from it. I don't think it has anythin' to do with textures as I tested it out with my friend. I stood one place he stood another, he could see me but I couldn't see him. We then marked our spots and swapped. Same result.

I think the high level health upgrades are BS too. I was level 219 and I was gettin' one-shotted with a Heavy Sniper. The game just seems to favour certain players 24/7. I tested that out as well. My mate is level 160. He took 9 pistol shots when I took 7. The game honestly conspires against you with other players.

Edited by BlackHeartedGovernor
  • Like 1