2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Best way to get better with the grenade launcher?

Vicarious Mind

Vicarious Mind

So what's the best way to practice/learn the projectory of the grenade launcher? I've seen people practically snipe people camping on rooftops with it but I have trouble with it. I either over shoot the target or the opposite.

Any tips or tricks on how to use it?

Complex or simple dot for using it?

TarHeelJohn

I'm surgical with that sh*t. After we get the money on the Pacific Standard, I take out all the cop cars from the doorway before my team leaves the bank... one grenade per car.

It really isn't that complicated. Use the complex site, aim at what you want to hit, zoom in if needed, and fire. When I aim for cop cars, I generally aim for a tire. If it hits the tire or any part of the car in flight, it explodes immediately. If by chance I miss hitting the car directly, the low trajectory ensures it won't bounce too far and will likely blow up the car anyways. I also use it against that helicopter that shows up as you cross that final street heading towards the motorcycles. Again, just aim directly at your target and fire.

I don't really know the best place to practice shooting it. Maybe in free mode against cops, or any mission with lots of enemy cars you can blow up.

• Like 4

FrugalDangerMan

In most situations, you put the dot where you want the boom boom to go and pull the trigger.

However I too have see some uncanny accuracy lobbing grenades into areas out of line of sight. More often than not, its from some guy in full body armor and bph during a deathmatch.

These guys are so good because dm is all the do. Like how racers learn their favorite course (corners, bumps, shortcuts, when to break and when to accelerate, etc), these guys learn their favorite dm levels.

And eventually, all that practice pays off in that they know the tactics so well, they can apply them with deadly accuracy pretty much anywhere.

If you want to practice and don't want police attention or to trigger a gang attack, create a simple GTA race in an area you like. I suggest the abandoned motel in Sandy Shores or the oil fields on the east side of Los Santos making sure you put the max amount of grenade launchers you can in the map as pick up weapons. Then play it solo with wanted levels off, weapons to forced+pick ups. Depending on your proficency, it could take you hundreds of rounds to get a feel for lobbing and this way, not only do you not spend thousands of dollars on ammo, but when you finish the race, you make a few thousand bucks instead.

Edited by PNutterSammich
  • Like 1

paperbagdude

For me, it's simply a matter of knowing how the projectile will act when fired.

You need to acknowledge how far the grenade will go, and that at some point, gravity will make it stear to the ground. Also how far the projectile will fly, depends on what angle you fire it from. A 'straight' angle consisting of 0/180 degree will make the projectile go around 15 meters and then hit the ground IIRC, while if you fire from an angle of let's say; 40 degrees, the projectile will definitely travel for a longer distance.

As you're aware of this, it's just a matter of experimenting with with.

JohnXina - Discord Emojispacer.pngJohnXina - Discord Emoji

SkynetOnlineID

I had weapon targeting on complex for a long time. It shows the blast radius for weapons like shotguns and the grenade launcher.

I think the simple weapon targeting is a lot better because it just shows a dot for all weapons. Makes it a lot easier to quickly aim and clutters up aim screen less.

The best way is to use my mate's created game "Battleships".

It's on Xbox platforms & has nothing to do with boats.

Play it with mates (the more the merrier) because players need to know where to be.

When you spawn in to the game you'll see a bunch of Patriots. Each player is to pick one & stand on top of the car.

Then take it in turns. Team one, player one for example gets one shot with the Grenade launcher to take out an enemy on the other side of the beach.Then team two gets one shot. Land a grenade near enough & the car will explode with the player.

0_13_zpsd4cc92e7.jpg

It's great if you're talking with the players but would be awful with strangers / people without mics. It's an LTS and only the rules above make it work. They can't be imposed in game. It's down to those playing to enforce it & take turns.

0_14_zps5993d5b0.jpg

Alternatively you can create a job with static NPC's at a distance & practice that way.

On PS platforms maybe someone could create something along these lines. Playing that game has rewarded me with many very satisfying Grenade launcher kills in free-roam.

• Like 1

Vicarious Mind

Yeah that's the problem I'm having is learning the grenade projectory. I miss a lot with it and my accuracy is very low with it. I'm using complex at the moment. Where in the circle or around it should I be aiming? I know with the complex sight that the circle has little markers on the edges of the circle. Are those there to help with lining up shots ax well?

What about elevated targets or people below you?

Smooth Longsack

Noob tubes... turn it into an rpg?

I killed myself too many times using this deathtrap. The Assault Shotgun looks too similar :p

• Like 2

Vicarious Mind

I'd just like to get better with it to get people who camp in hard to reach places and rooftops.

Example, players who camp ontop of the buildings near lsc customs in the center of the city.

No. The reticule / dot will show the direction you are aiming, but the trajectory of your shot to get the distance is just like using mortars in other games, you gotta practice & judge it. The game I posted above gives a good idea of the distances possible.

Aim too high with the launcher & you can shorten it's potential distance. I'd guess about 45° up would give about maximum distance.

I wish I could capture & make videos as this would be a good one to put out there.

• Like 1

The Lone Wanderer

obliterating all the cops before anyone leaves the bank is fun lol

practice op, practice

Shoot when the recticle turns red. Other than that it's guess work

Edited by TreFacTor

Captain Sensib1e

I killed myself too many times using this deathtrap. The Assault Shotgun looks too similar :p

R* had the bright idea of putting them next to each other on the weapon wheel.

I'd just like to get better with it to get people who camp in hard to reach places and rooftops.

Example, players who camp ontop of the buildings near lsc customs in the center of the city.

Just spam 'em.

I'm pretty effective with it. My advice:

Point directly at your target (use a sniper rifle to set your reticle with pin point accuracy) and add about 10 degrees of trajectory per 50 yards of distance.

Start with a conservative distance estimate, fire a volley of 3-5 granades and vary your trajectory as you fire.

80% of the time it works everytime.

CarimboHanky

i dont use it often in freeroam but when i do it only take like 2 rounds to hit the target.

my main use is in pacstan finale, i make it rain on cops, specially in the alley!

FrugalDangerMan

Good luck shooting one up onto the roof of Tinsel Towers. ;)

ashbashbluesfan

i was playing siege on the construction site I had to survive against the whole team, I'd fire the grenade launcher at the metal supports and bounce it off so it landed behind the cover, the reactions were so good xD it's easy to use it's all just angles.