2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
pilscy

Police Spawn System

pilscy

Can someone describe how the police spawn and act during the different wanted levels

Ive been playing the game since the realease in 2013 but not til now I have became very interested in stealth play. Like I would role-play Michael being a hit-man

its also annoying how you can receive a star so easily, is there any tricks you guys use while trying to lose the cops in this game?

oCrapaCreeper

Stealth basically doesn't exist when it comes to the cops. Don't even try. Crimes are rigged to get you wanted levels even if no one called the police, and animals also report crimes. It's very hard to get away with crimes stealthily in this game, a hitman style wouldn't bit very possible.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

Officer Ronson

I've been actually able to deck a cop in the back without getting any kind of attention, but that was in a secluded alley near the docks.

GamesBoy316

The cops are rigged in the game. Also, the stealth in the game is a joke, usually it doesn't work and it's just pointless.

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Stealth basically doesn't exist when it comes to the cops. Don't even try. Crimes are rigged to get you wanted levels even if no one called the police, and animals also report crimes. It's very hard to get away with crimes stealthily in this game, a hitman style wouldn't bit very possible.

not always. i've killed people many times without getting wanted levels.

my general impression is that if there are X number people around, someone physically has to lift a phone and call.

e.g. near the Cement Factory trailers, you can easily kill 1-3 people without getting Wanted

but if there are Y number of people, sometimes the Wanted is automatic

e.g. Raton Canyon camping site near the bridge... 2 people fishing, 1 women across the river in a chair, 1 other person fishing. i'm not sure why, but maybe because there are 4 people, but the Wanted level here can be automatic. no one has to call. you kill someone and automatically get 2 stars.

spawn system during Stars is random on any road at the edge of your draw distance. typically has to be on a drivable road. that's why going off-road or driving in circles is best way to escape -- cops will always randomly spawn behind and in front of you at the edge of draw distance.

helicopters have a limited spawn number per wanted level and also a 'retreat' criteria based on taking X amount of damage or having flown for Y amount of time. it's something like if they take 75% damage, they will try retreat or land. if they have been flying... 5 minutes or so, they leave to refuel. no helicopter will respawn during this 'refuel' grace period. so if the single (or both) helis are refueling, you can get a window of opportunity where no new heli will spawn.

plus... a bit of random bugginess and oddity because the spawn system sucks. but the above is my general impression of its mechanics lol

oCrapaCreeper

not always. i've killed people many times without getting wanted levels.

my general impression is that if there are X number people around, someone physically has to lift a phone and call.

Nope, that's not how it works, they don't need to use their phones at all. The way it actually works is if an NPC witnesses a crime the police will automatically be notified seconds later. They aren't required to call 911, most crimes in the game are missing code that requires them to use their phones.

Also animals report crimes just like peds do.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

Flachbau

If you have a wanted level, they'll probably spawn close to an intersection, or maybe just farther away from you on the same road. It's annoying.

My tip: Stay off the roads ^:

Edited by Android

Osho

Yup, I don't think phones are a reason since it works in the same way like SA, in which killing a lone cop in stealth will give you one star.

The only difference is, in V its possible to not get a star, but it doesn't work 100% of the time.

Cutter De Blanc

Just once I managed to Stealth kill the female cop in front of the Sandy Shores police station without getting any stars. I had to make sure not a soul was in sight, no birds flying, nothing. Went stealth (with max Stealth skill) behind her and quickly shot her in the head with a silenced pistol. It's so difficult to do that it's not worth the effort.

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Nope, that's not how it works, they don't need to use their phones at all. The way it actually works is if an NPC witnesses a crime the police will automatically be notified seconds later. They aren't required to call 911, most crimes in the game are missing code that requires them to use their phones.

They do need to use their phones in many cases. I mean, over 100 times probably I've had someone try to call the cops after I commit a crime, and if I kill them before you complete the phonecall, I don't get wanted. I mean, that's like one of the most common staples of the entire V experience lol commit a crime and watch for that phone arm to raise

And I've committed crimes many times without automatically getting Wanted.

Osho

Do you mean the person whom you tried to kill used the phone or the one who caught you killing any NPC in stealth?

We are talking about the latter.

Progeekzy

Its one of the worst systems i have ever seen. You can drive around for 20 hours and not see a single cop. Get 1 star and all of a sudden they are exactly where you are trying to go.

chilleverest

Police chase and spawn mechanics is the game of pacman, run until they turn the back on you.

Saintdestroyer

Always been my issue with this game, wouldn't be hard for Rockstar to implement a stealth system in the game but making the police as psychic as they are was a design decision.

Edited by Saintdestroyer

oCrapaCreeper

They do need to use their phones in many cases. I mean, over 100 times probably I've had someone try to call the cops after I commit a crime, and if I kill them before you complete the phonecall, I don't get wanted. I mean, that's like one of the most common staples of the entire V experience lol commit a crime and watch for that phone arm to raise

And I've committed crimes many times without automatically getting Wanted.

As evidenced by the game code only a few crimes in the game require peds to call the cops, all other crimes trigger wanted levels simply by witnessing. Most crimes are missing the "MustNotifyLawEnforcement" tag in the code.

More details here.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

you never said "most" though my entire two replies were because you said all crimes :p i mean, my reply even said many crimes do that, my entire reply was precisely because you said all not "most" lol

and you can kill a ped with a witness and kill that witness before they can call the cops, or steal a car and then kill a witness who's calling the cops -- both avoiding Wanted level. killing a ped with a witness doesn't always always automatically give you wanted if you kill the witness.

that's not just a "few" or a small amount, those are the two main non-cop crimes

killahmatic

Like I would role-play Michael being a hit-man

its also annoying how you can receive a star so easily, is there any tricks you guys use while trying to lose the cops in this game?

Here's a tip, if you want to be a hitman, stay on your feet, don't drive. It's easier and more fun to kill someone and then run from the scene before cops get there. Into alleys, over fences, through backyards, behind businesses. If you drive away, the cops tend to spawn right in front of you. If you're running, they spawn a distance away and it gives you plenty of time to figure out which way you want to run. If you get two stars it's harder, but still possible. You'll only get one star for killing a ped, though, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by killahmatic

oCrapaCreeper

you never said "most" though my entire two replies were because you said all crimes :p i mean, my reply even said many crimes do that, my entire reply was precisely because you said all not "most" lol

and you can kill a ped with a witness and kill that witness before they can call the cops, or steal a car and then kill a witness who's calling the cops -- both avoiding Wanted level. killing a ped with a witness doesn't always always automatically give you wanted if you kill the witness.

that's not just a "few" or a small amount, those are the two main non-cop crimes

I don't know what else I can say to you other than show you the code that determines how crimes must be reported for the players to get wanted:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><CCrimeInformations>        <CrimeInformations>                <Item key="CRIME_BLOCK_POLICE_CAR" />                <Item key="CRIME_CAR_SET_ON_FIRE">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_CAUSE_EXPLOSION">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <MaxDistanceToHear value="50.0" />                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_COP_SET_ON_FIRE" />                <Item key="CRIME_DAMAGE_TO_PROPERTY">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_DESTROY_HELI" />                <Item key="CRIME_DESTROY_PLANE" />                <Item key="CRIME_DESTROY_VEHICLE">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_DRIVE_AGAINST_TRAFFIC">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_FIREARM_DISCHARGE">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <MaxDistanceToHear value="50.0" />                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_HIT_COP" />                <Item key="CRIME_HIT_PED">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_KILL_COP" />                <Item key="CRIME_MOLOTOV" />                <Item key="CRIME_PED_SET_ON_FIRE">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_POSSESSION_GUN">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_RECKLESS_DRIVING">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_RESIST_ARREST" />                <Item key="CRIME_RIDING_BIKE_WITHOUT_HELMET">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_RUN_REDLIGHT">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_RUNOVER_COP" />                <Item key="CRIME_RUNOVER_PED">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_SHOOT_AT_COP" />                <Item key="CRIME_SHOOT_COP" />                <Item key="CRIME_SHOOT_NONLETHAL_COP" />                <Item key="CRIME_SHOOT_NONLETHAL_PED">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_SHOOT_PED">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <MaxDistanceToHear value="50.0" />                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_SHOOT_VEHICLE" />                <Item key="CRIME_SPEEDING">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_STAB_COP" />                <Item key="CRIME_STAB_PED">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_STAND_ON_POLICE_CAR" />                <Item key="CRIME_STEAL_CAR">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_STEAL_VEHICLE">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                                <AdditionalFlagsForSP>MustNotifyLawEnforcement</AdditionalFlagsForSP>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_JACK_DEAD_PED">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_TARGET_COP" />                <Item key="CRIME_TERRORIST_ACTIVITY" />                <Item key="CRIME_HASSLE">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                                <AdditionalFlagsForSP>MustNotifyLawEnforcement OnlyVictimCanNotifyLawEnforcement</AdditionalFlagsForSP>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_STEALTH_KILL_COP">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_STEALTH_KILL_PED">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_SHOOT_PED_SUPPRESSED">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>                <Item key="CRIME_KILL_PED">                        <WitnessInformation>                                <Flags>MustBeWitnessed</Flags>                        </WitnessInformation>                </Item>        </CrimeInformations>

Any crime that has "MustBeWitnessed" must be seen by an NPC, but if they don't have "MustNotifyLawEnforcement", preforming that crime triggers a wanted level for the player if a ped notices it. Peds that witness the crime may pull out their phone but it's not necessary for them too. Notice there's only 2 crimes in the game where an NPC must actually phone the cops to make the player get wanted. Those are stealing a vehicle, and terrorist activity (killing cops), though terrorist activity is overridden with an automatic wanted level anyway. Every other crime in the game will trigger a wanted level regardless if the NPC's called the cops or not. The only other scenarios where a ped calls the cops on the player is when the player exceeds a ped's aggro rigger and they get pissed off (ex. loitering, insulting, etc)
The part that makes this worse is that animals count as witnesses. If there's birds flying above you, you're almost guaranteed to get a wanted level for example.
Edited by oCrapaCreeper

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

for sure, but killing peds isn't an automatic (no cellphone required) Wanted level either even when there's a witness

quick example i could find, it's at the end of the vid

kill one ped, the other ped witnesses it, tries to run, i kill him too. no automatic Wanted notification even though he witnessed it.

i totally know what you mean about the automatic wanted level. i even talked about that in my first reply. only thing i was really referring to was that you can commit crimes like stealing cars and kill peds without getting an automatic wanted level, and you can avoid getting a delayed wanted level if you kill the witness quick enough. again, not all cases, but some pretty important ones. usually seems when there's less than 4 people around.

IApproveTheBeef

A late response but (hopefully) an accurate one:

Crimes and their attention levels:

It seems as though crimes are given real world attention levels. I.e. If no one knows someone died, the area does not become infested with police. It simply becomes a stray bullet case or a vandalized vechile report. 

Things like silent alarms in stores and groups of people or living spaces gather attention quickly and (just like in real life) cops will be on you like white on rice. 

The best way to avoid attention is to stay away from stores with silent alarms and highly populated areas. A suppressed, low caliber gun is always a must. 

People on foot and in cars seem to have telepathic communication with the police station (my theory is people in cars don’t have a phone animation so they auto alert police). 

Also, it seems as though the game has a high population recognition system. Shooting around houses, apartments and businesses attracts attention quite fast in my experience. 

Transportation and wanted levels:

Police chase to kill in GTA online (this is also true for GTA 4 freemode). Police attempt an arrest at 1 and 2 stars. Running from an attempt will bump you up to an automatic 2. If they do not announce an arrest, you may be able to run with a single star. 

The more stars, the more police. Police tend to spawn about a block away and on roads. 

1 star: Light police action and small search area. A single car (possibly 2) will search the nearby roads. 

2 stars: You are chased with a good amount of police. You must have raised lots of attention to achieve this level. Police will force you off the road. The 2 star system is broken as chases force you to drive fast, pushing you into police spawns or firing back, giving you a third star. Avoiding 3 stars at all costs is the best idea. Shooting tires instead of heads is a good way to knock police vehicles off your tail. 

3+ stars: Roads are blocked off and helicopters are called in. This is a shoot to kill situation. This is where things get really broken. So many cops are forced to spawn that driving turns into a hassle. The game will recognize the road you’re on and overload it with police.

TLDR: If an npc in the game could look out an apartment window or across the street and see you, they already are dialing 911. Make it hard to be spotted. Raising attention won’t help. 

A quick tip for people that hate police:

The best way to avoid attention is to:

A. Go off-road and avoid 3 stars (helicopters chase off road and are persistent). Again, shoot tires. Not heads. 

B. Hop out of the car and avoid water/air. Police use your type of transportation. In a car? They’ll chase you in a car. In a boat? They’ll chase you in a boat. Etc etc. Police vehicles are fast and they drive consistently. Your best bet is to get on foot and avoid their search parties. Stealth comes into play here as police in search mode can be easily tricked. 

C. This contradicts B, but learn how to maneuver the map. Don’t spend your first million on a super car if you crash going 60mph. Slow cars run from police just fine as long as you know your alleyways and can go 60+ mph in oncoming traffic. Choose a reliable transportation method and get good with it. I have the most luck on foot, but this isn’t the case for most players. 

Edited by IApproveTheBeef
More info.

MARKUS.

Look dude, you can spawn with mods an island in the middle of the sea, spawn a couple of peds and with the second kill (melee, silenced pistol or even a minion) a star will appear

Ertan Soner

It is like 3d universe system but worse.