Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,343 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Aqua97

The shipping topic

Aqua97

X4AGftB.jpg

Also the ship tracking website: Marine Traffic

Edited by Aqua

Ryan

Edited by Ryan

Aqua97

Spotted HMS Tyne down the harbour today.

yVqMZ1b.png?1

Aqua97

Spotted the cruse ship ARTANIA in Douglas bay on Wednesday. (Photos from here>>)MHGwAcC.jpgOD5B0HL.jpg

XioTGjw.jpg

Edited by Aqua97

Spectacus

now we need a railway topic...

Aqua97

now we need a railway topic...

I was thinking about that but I'm not sure if it will make much of a discussion, then again I could be completely wrong!

Edit: Done>> :^:

Edited by Aqua97

SouthLand

I used to work in the Port in Barcelona so I saw a lot of ships. If any wan't information here i am.

Edited by SouthLand

DMC14

i used to work at port botany and seen hundreds of freight ships. i have no info.

SouthLand

i used to work at port botany and seen hundreds of freight ships. i have no info.

Why?

DMC14

Why?

why do i have no info? because i didnt have anything to do with the ships. i drove a forklift and manually unpacked containers.

SouthLand

Why?

why do i have no info? because i didnt have anything to do with the ships. i drove a forklift and manually unpacked containers.

Oh so you where one of those? Tough job indeed... You guys should get paid far lot more money than dockers that handle cranes...

How often did one of you guys found drugs when you proceeded to open a container? In the Barcelona port it was twice a month in average.

DMC14

Why?

Oh so you where one of those? Tough job indeed... You guys should get paid far lot more money than dockers that handle cranes...

How often did one of you guys found drugs when you proceeded to open a container? In the Barcelona port it was twice a month in average.

me never but it does happen its usually kept on the down low until it reaches its destination. we found guns in the boot of a car imported from south africa once, turned out to be nothing insedious just an oversight by the importer (his private collection of mostly WWII weapons). i was only in the job for a year (it was my second job after high school over ten years ago now) then moved into an office job with a freight forwarder (mostly just data entry and help customs with freight inspections).

As a freight forwarder we had a container filled with paint in 5l tins that was filled with ecstasy and paint. Apparently that was found by customs when they x-rayed the container.

and the pay , the pay was great no complaints from me about that. but those crane guys earn a mint. anyone that drives heavy machinery seems to be paid well. i guess its a lot of responsibility and the crane guys are stuck up there for a long time.

Edited by DMC14

Aqua97

Just some pictures from the near by port of Douglas. :)

ZwFVPh6.jpgFetPGGK.jpgms4zWNY.jpgZ6dfism.jpggfJLC46.jpghwkTzer.jpgDADkfaD.jpgIzvoRBJ.jpgMM06CrZ.jpgeSpReMQ.jpgcOImITn.jpg

Eram

Some details on the "El Faro":

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/05/daughters-last-message-from-el-faro-there-is-a-hurricane-out-here-and-we-are-heading-straight-into-it/?tid=sm_fb

el-faro.jpg

This morning near Zeebrugge:

"A Dutch cargo ship has sunk following a collision with a tanker carrying liquid gas off the Belgian coast near Zeebrugge. It is not yet clear why the Flinterstar collided with the Al Oraiq, which was flying under the Marshall Islands flag. Twelve crew were knocked into the sea during the incident but all were rescued safely, broadcaster Nos said. According to Belgian officials, the 130-metre Flinterstar was not carrying any dangerous cargo at the time. 'There are traces of oil but not enough to pose any danger,' Nos quoted the official as saying. Flinter's director Bart Otto told ANP the Flinterstar is on a sandback 'with water up to the deck'. He said he was happy the crew had been rescued safely, although several have been taken to hospital. The tanker has been towed to Zeebrugge for repairs but is not thought to be leaking, news agency ANP said. A Dutch salvage vessel is on its way to the accident location. Shipping in the western part of the Westerschelde estuary has been disrupted, Nos said."

Flinterstar-1148075.jpg

1356740.jpg

South Korea vs North Korea on Oct 1st (info released today):

"A South Korean ship collided with and damaged a North Korean vessel in early October, according to report from the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) published today. The article from DRPK state media and gives the name of the ships involved, the coordinates and claims the collision was not accidental. "At around 01:25 on October 1 a south Korean vessel deliberately rammed into Turubong-3, a boat belonging to the Foreign Trade Administration Bureau of North Hamgyong Province when it was conducting (a) fishing operation," the KCNA article reads. The report goes onto say there was significant damage to the North Korean fishing vessel, with five sailors wounded. It adds the South Korean ship did not remain at the scene of the collision, instead sailing away at "high speed." While maritime databases do not have any record of the DPRK vessel, the South Korean ship called "Highny" was passing through the waters to the east of the DPRK at the reported time of the collision. According to vessel tracking website Marine Traffic, the ship is a relatively large bulk cargo carrying vessel, managed by the Busan-based J Shipping Co Ltd. The company could not be reached for comment on the news at the time of publication. Historical tracking data shows the vessel did indeed pass near - though not exactly through - the coordinates given by the KCNA report. The 190-meter ship then continued on its journey. It is currently near Taiwan's Kaohsiung city. The article claims the South Korean ship broke maritime law when it left the damaged DPRK fishing ship, calling the act a "grave provocation" and demanding compensation. "The south Korean authorities should not pay lip-service to 'humanitarianism' but strictly investigate the vessel and prime movers, make apology for the piracy and pay proper compensation for the damage done to our crewmen and boat," the article adds. North Korean state media doesn't capitalize the "s" in "South Korea" or "n" in "North Korea" to reflect the idea that they are legitimately one country. Vessels weighing more than 300 tons are required to be fitted with tracking systems in part to prevent such collisions, and are required to have them switched on at all times. The KCNA article did not mention if the DPRK fishing ship was fitted with a tracking system, though it did mention the vessel was lighting up the surrounding area with "bright lights.""

No pics of the N. Korean fishing vessel. The South Korean:

967233.jpg

I just found this thread, nice that you've done it Aqua :^:

As Ryan said not many mariners @GTAF, yet I'm one of that rare breed :)

Edit - For anyone that likes to be updated with emergency/disasters worldwide, check out this:

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

Edited by Eram

Aqua97

The El Faro reminds me of the loss of the HMS Bounty replica in Hurricane Irene. I do hope there all okay. :/

I0asNxV.jpg

Edited by Aqua97

Eram
Aqua97

Not good at all, Luckily the whole ship didn't sink.

Also check this out.

(skip to around 1:40) :)

Edited by Aqua97

Eram

^^^ Pretty close Near Miss*.

Unless there's some special regulation at Mersey, the Ferry should've known better and passed astern of the tanker (it seems to be a chemical or oil tanker, not a gas tanker).

Usually Ferries crossing shipping lanes arrange the crossing by VHF with the ship's Master or Pilot (if on board).

Most of the times, some minor course change from one will be enough make everybody happy.

*I don't believe in the Near Miss concept, either it happened or it was avoided.

In cases like the one above (it seems that, despite the ferry's last min Port turn, if the tanker didn't went hard to Starboard they would crash), or the one bellow (speed up), one always wonder though...

This was a actual famous hit from about 1y ago, most probably Hapag Lloyd not liking Maersk's world leadership ;):

Another internet's favourite:

Edited by Eram

Aqua97

^^^ Pretty close Near Miss*.

Unless there's some special regulation at Mersey, the Ferry should've known better and passed astern of the tanker (it seems to be a chemical or oil tanker, not a gas tanker).

Usually Ferries crossing shipping lanes arrange the crossing by VHF with the ship's Master or Pilot (if on board).

Most of the times, some minor course change from one will be enough make everybody happy.

*I don't believe in the Near Miss concept, either it happened or it was avoided.

In cases like the one above (it seems that, despite the ferry's last min Port turn, if the tanker didn't went hard to Starboard they would crash), or the one bellow (speed up), one always wonder though...

This was a actual famous hit from about 1y ago, most probably Hapag Lloyd not liking Maersk's world leadership ;):

Another internet's favourite:

Just thought I'd share this video, It is of Skagen Maersk in a storm from June 2008. You can see the ships deck flexing because of the stress effect from the storm, quite interesting. :)

Edited by Aqua97

Eram
Aqua97
Eram

F*ck me!

Both were working when I posted.

Let's try again:

https://video-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xta1/v/t42.1790-2/12205236_1631982733731855_691353109_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjQ2OSwicmxhIjo1MTIsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoicWZfNDI2d19jcmZfMjNfbWFpbl8zLjBfcDFoY212NF9zZCJ9&rl=469&vabr=261&oh=d51bfb94d7f16280f2d315f650ed1cf6&oe=564669FD

I've just tested it and, for the time being, it's still working.

It's a Global Ship Tracking (AIS) by fleetmon.

Edited by Eram

Aqua97

Certainly is, it reminds me of the density maps on Marine Traffic. And the links all working now. :D

Aqua97

It got quite scary at the end!

MindCorrupt

A few ive taken from where I work

TaTRhSM.jpg9ZRnp4d.jpgcBvREnP.jpgB2wFAQH.jpg

AmhjIes.jpg8zYnaD1.jpg

71KaabG.jpgwGFOA6c.jpg

Edited by MindCorrupt

Aqua97

Just checking out the density maps on Marine Traffic. Quite interesting. :)

xymZpNj.jpg?1J5gVHs7.jpg?1

Aqua97

Tough job...

Edited by Aqua

Aqua

From down the harbour the other day, we get a lot of Super yachts berthing here...

ikjt1nj.jpg