2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Can a Modder get you Banned?

Gouge

I am on my 9th day of a 14 day ban.

I am still awaiting R* giving me a proper answer and to consider my stats as evidence I have not modded/hacked the game.

My stats are all legit other than my cash which is higher than it should because a modder had thrown money at me.

I didn't spend the money as I understood Rockstar would take it back eventually.

I categorically know I have not used any mods online ever.

I did have a single player mod in my game folder since shorlty after the game came out. That was to be able to access North Yankton, but couldn't get it to work and had been more interested in playing the Online game than single player.

I have asked R* what they are suggesting I did and the description sounds more like I have been banned by a modder attributing blame to me or becasue I have been in proximity to modders on occasions while in a session.

Does anyone know or can anyone shed any light on this. Really annoyed as unlike a large number of players I have been grinding for over 378 hours to get to where I am and was not interested in having my game experience ruined by a bunch of [email protected]~tards.

G

chef_archie

Your story smells...... Fishy.

This doesn't sound like the whole story, it takes a lot for Rockstar to ban you. Also, you should have notified Rockstar of your excess of bogus funds. Don't just expect them to find it and take it. Notify them and save the emails. A 14 day ban would make me bananas, always, always, always notify Rockstar of anything shaky going on with your character, especially if it has to do with modded money.

Yet, this still doesn't sound like the whole story to me.

P.S.

If you come across a modder leave the session. If they dumped money on you, turn off your system immediately, to avoid all headaches.

sounds like you got hit by an automatic. If you contacted them they will tell you exactly why in time.

"We do not ban users for encountering modders/cheaters. This means that the reason you were banned was not related to picking up modded GTA$. We do systematic sweeps to remove modded GTA$ from players, so you have no need to worry about having picked any up! In addition, you have no need to worry about any action being taken against your account as long as you yourself did not take part in any cheating/modding. If you have any other questions in regards to our policies for cheaters/modders in GTA Online, please take a look at https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/201617423-Update-on-GTA-Online-Cheaters-and-Modded-GTA- "
Edited by TreFacTor

Claptrap NL

If a modder gives you money and you didn't report it to rockstar you're nothing better than that modder so you deserved your ban.

I know people who got money from a modder, reported it and they didn't get banned.

Shame on you op!

I can assure you there is nothing fishy about it, other than R* telling me that their automatic system suggests that I have used a 3rd party piece of software a number of times online. I haven't.

Still amazed that people assume that you must be hacking if you get a ban.

Most developed societies assume innocence until proven guilty, not the other way around.

As stated, the only 3rd party software was used once in single player and never online.

I was just keen to know if anyone that has online mods knows if it is possible to frame a player to get a ban, like they can frame a player to show they have killed everyone in the session.

G

Edited by Gouge

No, a modder didn't get you banned, you got yourself banned I provided you with a link to a support ticket addressing this exact question. dated june 17 2015

Edited by TreFacTor
  • Like 1

If a modder gives you money and you didn't report it to rockstar you're nothing better than that modder so you deserved your ban.

I know people who got money from a modder, reported it and they didn't get banned.

Shame on you op!

Actually, as quoted by R*, in the link I'm being directed to, that should be read properly:-

Question: Do I need to report to Rockstar Games the fact that I was given a huge amount of modded money I didn’t want?

Answer: No, you do not need to report this. We are able to tell the difference, automatically through gameplay data, between the cheaters and the players who received this money innocently. Players who were willingly cheating are notified about any action taken against their account. If you were not cheating, you do not need to do anything further.

So no I didn't report it. Just didn't spend it like all the other guilty players who asked for modded money cause I expected it would be taken back.

Stop the flame wars. I'm more concerned about the online game continuing to be a modded mess adn innocent players getting pulled up while the modders continue to run riot.

G

Edited by Gouge

R*, knows what people are up to and when they get modded money. It's only a matter of time before they will attempt to fix it.

I have only spent money I actually earned and kept a cash balance so that R* could fix the issue as they clearly have stated.

They may be stupid but they ain't that stupid. I like many others have got modded money thrown at them. As R* point out they are not considering those people at fault just the ones that generated the money who are modding the game..

The ban I have received will be clarified in due course. Maybe I shouldn't have gone to the degree of effort I have done to help other innocent players from being affected in the same way in future.

G

It's funny that when an individual gets banned there is always an assumption they are guilty.

As I pointed out to R*, anyone playing the game will know how rife the modding is. Nearly every session has one in it. Sometimes they are having a laugh, but too often they are causing major problems to honest players.

I could have spent all the money dropped on me, I didn't. I didn't report it cause R* are far too busy with other real issues and have stated they will deal with the issue in due course.

My ban is either due to having scripthookv.exe in my game folder (never used online) or because a modder has been able to attribute mods/hacks to me, FACT!

This is a real concern. Go google GTA V mods/hacks and you'll be educated on the arsenal that any honest player is up against. Not funny and yet R* can't seem to fix it in the online game and yet thinks an automated system can identify modders, when it clearly cannot.

G

Its a 2 week ban. You have 5 days left, just wait 5 days.

To answer your question, you shouldn't have thought Rockstar was going to take it away themselves. If you get modded money you don't want to keep, tell Rockstar. Normally they will give you a fraction of the money as well for being a good player. I don't have PC Version so I don't know much about modding, but if you went Online with Scripthook enabled, or any other mod running, that is completely your fault.

Its a 2 week ban. You have 5 days left, just wait 5 days.

To answer your question, you shouldn't have thought Rockstar was going to take it away themselves. If you get modded money you don't want to keep, tell Rockstar. Normally they will give you a fraction of the money as well for being a good player. I don't have PC Version so I don't know much about modding, but if you went Online with Scripthook enabled, or any other mod running, that is completely your fault.

I totally accept what your saying and fully agree. For me it is a matter of principal especially when I did not run any mods online and have merely followed R*'s rules.

R* very clearly states players DO NOT have to report modded money, because they can see it and will remove it in time. My calls to their Tech support confirm they are aware and know I have confirmed when this happened. Stupid thing they do is let modders spend it and won't remove the assets bought. I didn't spend it but kept it in cash so that it would not affect my game experience and so R* could fix the "books".

The whole purpose of this post was to try and establish the degree to which a modder can affect the game and potentially get others banned. I am slowly accruing info that suggests that this is possible and which would account for why R* "thinks" I have ran 3rd party software online a number of times. My stats also clearly evidence that I have not.

The following article makes interesting reading:-
It notes the following, in relation to modders/hackers in Reign of Kings:-
“To give you an example of the dangers of allowing DLL Injected clients to connect to multiplayer servers or any other client for that matter, until recently, in Reign of Kings, hackers using the same method that scripthook uses, were using injected assembly code into DLLs to modify files on the computers of other players on the servers they connected to and in many cases, even the files on the servers themselves.”
I (and no doubt others) have experienced, animals and other assets in my garage, weapons being unlocked in the session (lost when session changed), clones of my player pole dancing or attached to me (think one hit me once too) and other game elements that some or all would seem to be individual to the player, unlike full session killings which are a session wide mod based on semi-normal game functionality. Is it possible that this is then flagged up as altering of code when a player has actually done nothing?
For me this post is a very serious discussion, as I am not alone in suffering a ban for doing nothing, while the hacking/modding continues. As I haven't done anything, how can I be sure that I won't get banned again for the very same issues which appear to derive from other players mods/hacks.
If I had modded/hacked, not only would my player stats be OP (they aren't), but I would have made sure that I got some reward for the risk being taken. I would also have been smart enough to use a mod/hack that can circumvent, being banned (yes, they do exist, found out while having had to research the issue extensively)

TIA

G

Edited by Gouge

Been readding interesting stuff regarding dll injection (how scripthookv works and a lot of mods in this game and others).

Seems steam overlay and fraps also do it, both of which I have used with GTA V Online.

Given how R* can't seem to fix the game to stop the modding I have questioned why they think their anti cheat system woudl be reliable.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's raising false positives for a plethora of innocent stuff.

WOW apparently banned players if they had MS Paint open, LOL.

http://facepunch.com/threads/1072899

G

Well there we have it.

Just off phone to R* support again. Rep eventually confirmed that R* ARE looking into the whole issue which is far wider it seems than just a few players.

I see many people saying they got banned because weapon tints were unlocked by modders. I had the same thing with weapons being unlocked.

Crock of s#>t.

G

Ai®a©ob®a

Well there we have it.

Just off phone to R* support again. Rep eventually confirmed that R* ARE looking into the whole issue which is far wider it seems than just a few players.

I see many people saying they got banned because weapon tints were unlocked by modders. I had the same thing with weapons being unlocked.

Crock of s#>t.

G

This is why you already record your gaming sessions

mightynighty

i think that people are getting banned for reasons they won't tell anyone. instead, saving face and making up the excuse it was a modder. could've been a plethora of reasons for people to get banned.

Well there we have it.

Crock of s#>t.

G

This is why you already record your gaming sessions

Agree probably sensible to video gaming sessions.

Problem: R* won't tell you what happened and when. I eventually got some answers but all that suggested was their auto system flagged me a few times. Still not sure how many and still don't know for what. To give evidence when I don't know what or when would mean I would need to send them a stack of video data

i think that people are getting banned for reasons they won't tell anyone. instead, saving face and making up the excuse it was a modder. could've been a plethora of reasons for people to get banned.

I'm sure there are a plethora of reasons for betting banned. To date many of which are not cheating. Some were single player mods and by my own experience and that of many others, modders bringing honest players down. Sad how as soon as someone is banned by a robot it is assumed they are guilty. R* can't fix their broken game how can they expext their auto ban system to be any more reliable?

G

Edited by Gouge

The easiest way to determine if someone has modded the game is look at their game stats. R* has full access to historic data and when a human being looks at it, can see when it looks legit, odd or very questionable.

Although they state they have an appeal process, it seems that they do not overturn any ban. Even when it is quite clear the player has not manipulated the game.

When an appeal is made R* should at least in the first instance look at the stats. If a ban is not warranted, then lift it, with a warning to remove any mods and ensure gaming sessions are video'd. For that to work though R* needs to tell players when a suspected infringement took place and what it was so the player can be on the lookout for it in future.

R*'s excuse was that if they told me what I did, I would be wise to it and it would allow me to get around it. Given I haven't hacked/ cheated or modded online this was somewhat ironic. It still doesn't help me help them fix the true problem.

The modders are completely wise to R* and in nearly any game I know are two steps ahead. Some cynics even suggest that chargeable hacks/mods are actually made by the developers, maybe not publicly, but it might explain how some modders seem impervious form a ban and why it is still ongoing now.

I am surprised more people are not concerned that innocent players could be being pulled down by modders. Maybe it will just need your own personal ban, for you to wake up and smell the coffee. I promise I won't say "I told you so".

G

mightynighty

i disagree, r* has the data and legit players cant be dragged down by cheaters. i never worried bout any single cheater i came across, and there have been lots.

perhaps the glitched money thing is a bit unclear and caused some people trouble. some never admitted their true intentions about it, all claim to be innocent etc.

after being frauded half a dozen times, never phased me one bit. the server clouds from r* are capable of seeing who actually cheated and who didn't. otherwise a lot of innocents woulda been banned, including me :p since its not the case, i think all those who claim to be innocent, actually have some sort of indecency going on and therfor it may be justified.

Edited by mightynighty

DigitalNikki

Shame on you op!

I know people that had a modder throw money at them that did not report it, did not get banned, and still have all the money.

Edited by ChevyOwner