3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Ghostbusters (2016)

Mister Pink

Or, you know, a good chunk of the cast of the original film. ;)

I'm so jazzed about Egon's hair alone. Ha. I'm sure it's going to be fantastic; heavily improv'd and the cast will bring their own jazz to the party. Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyway, the first photo was released of the new all-girl Ghostbusters. I like it so far because they're real looking. They're not super-hot babes. But nerdly looking women that look like the sort of women that if they were to be busting ghosts, they'd look like them.

The thing about ghostbusters was being funny, not good looking, is a comedy, not an action movie.
  • Like 2

My point is, you can have the cake and eat it. And blondie there reminds me a lot of MNDR.

MNDR_Studio.jpg

MNDR :inlove:

Ahem, sorry... please continue with the thread

Actually kinda glad the 'new' Ecto-1 isn't some thinly-veiled product placement for a 21st century car - I'm looking at you, Transformers

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So, we finally got ourselves a trailer for this, and the downvotes are quite hilarious over at Youtube.

• Like 1

Whoever decided to come up with this in the first place and is responsible for the trashfest that is the trailer, soon to be the movie, is braindead. Also, the theme tune is absolute sh*te.

Edited by MyName'sJeff
  • Like 1

I'm sure there are plenty of people who dislike this movie because it's led by a female cast, but to me, that's incredibly shallow and repulsive. And that argument, in my estimation, misses the point. My problem with the trailer is that it indicates a retelling of the original movie. As far as I can tell, the four characters are basically female versions of the original cast. I'll place a bet that this new movie will lack originality, and yeah, I get it, it's supposed to feed into the "general population" that just wants to relive their childhood. But would it kill them to make it at least somewhat original, taking the franchise into some different direction...you know, like four protagonists that aren't a reflection of the original cast? Granted, this is just the trailer, so it may very well be a misrepresentation of the final product, but so far it looks like a dud. I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Queen
FriendlyFireOFF

If you had an doubt that many youtube vloggers and bloggers are in the pockets of the studios or at the very least so scared to upset the apple cart - take a look at this from Screen Junkies. They all clearly are shocked at how bad the trailer was yet as they go along each of them literally tries to out BS each other. Bunch of sellout losers.

3:05

Wherever the trailer is the dislikes are phenomenal to the point it appears Sony/Youtube are deleting comments and creating many fake accounts that so happened to be created over the last few days.....

RedLetterMedia sum up the joke that is the asskissing youtube vloggers

For me this isn't really about the cast it's more to do with the scooby doo/pixels look and feel......not to mention the cliched jokes we've heard and see all before.

Bring on the 23 Jump Street/Men In Black mash up!

But would it kill them to make it at least somewhat original, taking the franchise into some different direction...you know, like four protagonists that aren't a reflection of the original cast? Granted, this is just the trailer, so it may very well be a misrepresentation of the final product, but so far it looks like a dud. I hope I'm wrong.

It's interesting you say this, because it's not so much that this movie might be a total dud, or as you mentioned, the issue with an all-female cast, but that it will have to live up to the expectations of the original. No cast, no matter what sex, was going to be able to accomplish that and was a failure from the get-go. Bill Murray saw that, and it's why he never committed to the original idea for a 3rd installment.

Also, RIP Harold Ramis, he was originally working with Aykroyd to make a 3rd film. Murray made that difficult, but maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

Edited by X S
  • Like 1

I must admit the trailer doesn't exite me and I'm just going to hold off till the blu-ray version hits stores. Which shouldn't be long if this new installment flops.

FriendlyFireOFF

I must admit the trailer doesn't exite me and I'm just going to hold off till the blu-ray version hits stores. Which shouldn't be long if this new installment flops.

I'll probably end up seeing it but instead of giving them my bucks I'll just buy a ticket for another film which is ideally an indie instead.

Edited by FriendlyFireOFF

Anyway, the first photo was released of the new all-girl Ghostbusters. I like it so far because they're real looking. They're not super-hot babes. But nerdly looking women that look like the sort of women that if they were to be busting ghosts, they'd look like them.

The thing about ghostbusters was being funny, not good looking, is a comedy, not an action movie.

Speaking of funny, who can forget the Big Twinkie?

• Like 1

...Also, the theme tune is absolute sh*te.

You kidding?

It was the only thing i truly liked about the trailer.

E:

Doesn't look good, jokes are lame and the lead appears to be exactly the same as the original.

Edited by Midnight Hitman
  • Like 1

Holy sh*t, this fan recut actually makes the movie look good, but then you realize it's mostly because he cut out all the dialogue, sh*tty jokes, and substituted them with the original Ghostbusters theme and the Ecto 1 sirens. :D

FriendlyFireOFF

@PaulFeig is still digging an even bigger whole for himself still promoting the line that the dislike is due to an all female cast.....

The mangina is strong with this one. With such a punch-able face to go with it. :sly:

FriendlyFireOFF

This is a behind the scenes 'unlisted' lol video by sony. Whilst it's interesting hearing about the tech etc, Kirsten Wiig's.....'Light 'Em Up' part at 1.30 is just so unconvincing :/

Edited by FriendlyFireOFF

To make a film that appeals to you as a kid then have filmmakers remake that film again in modern times and to have that appeal to your adult self isn't really going to work or at least it's an almost impossible task. Whether they change the gender/sex of the cast the appeal and nostalgia of the original will always trump.

And the film can never really be original by default is it's a remake. Which led me to re-think remakes. Remakes aren't really for the people that enjoyed the original. Remakes are for the next generation. So when the next gen of kids see this, I think this film may appeal to them in the same magical way the original did for us. I'm not saying that kids these days wouldn't enjoy the original but it might be something harder for them to get in to. So, I'll concede that this film isn't for me. Strictly speaking It's not targeted for me. It's more targeted at the next gen of people and who's going to pay for the cinema trip? The parents which were fans of the original. But I'll watch it as I like the Ghostbusters premise which is contained in the film.

I wasn't expecting much from this. I think I've been realistic in my expectations. It's a film about nerds combating ghosts. The original Ghostbusters, to it's credit, is still a film I really enjoy today. How much if that is notstalgia and how much of that is good filmmaking is blurred.

Edited by Mister Pink

They should have canned the project as soon as Harold Ramis died. It doesn't feel right knowing there's going to be a Ghostbusters movie without so much as a cameo appearance from him. I don't mind the female cast at all, but to me this just like last year's Vacation movie; a shameless cash grab that has little to do with the preceding movies.

And for God's sake, you can NOT have a Ghostbusters movie without Louis Tully.

Edited by TheFoxRiverFugitive