2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Crime and Punishment: A Proposal for a New Wanted System

Sigurd

Hello everyone! Seeing a variety of topics suggesting additions to the game, I'd figure that I might as well go for it...

One thing that has bothered me in GTA Online is the lack of variety in terms of the Wanted System. You commit a crime, escape/die, rinse and repeat. But what if it didn't end there?

Incarceration System:

Players can surrender to the police at any time by standing perfectly still with all weapons stored away (like RDR). At this point, depending on how high their wanted level is, they would spawn in either a local jail (minor offenses, less than three stars) or the prison (for serious crimes, four stars and above).

A cooldown timer shows how long the sentence is, and once it depletes, the player is free to go. However, the player can escape from captivity any way they wish (by themselves or with the help of friends). Once free, the escapee gains a wanted level and a bounty.

Real Bounty Hunting:

Unlike the clandestine hit contracts issued through Lester, bounties acquired by escaping jail are dependent on the initial wanted level (ex an escapee arrested for a five star wanted level would have a higher bounty than an escapee arrested for two stars), and can reach higher values than standard bounties. These players would be marked with an icon similar to regular bounties, but with pair of handcuffs under the skull denoting their status as fugitives.

Your Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms?

Realistically, this won't be implemented, and many people are opposed to the idea of a jail, however the option to flee and escape normally would still be available. I just suggest this as an alternative that can open up new opportunities for memorable moments and depth of content in a game that seems to be stagnant.

Edited by Sigurd

CrysisAverted

One Star cops should be equipped with Tasers too

Honestly, I'm really liking this idea since it would add a new game play mechanic to the game, and although people could argue that it would get annoying. You could just get shot by the police and it would fine when you just spawn.

• Like 2

I really like this idea - especially as it exists in a similar form in RDR. Obviously time of imprisonment would have to be greatly reduced for an online experience and there has to be something for the player to do in the meantime, but yeah, totally. Thumbs up :^:

Don't want to spend time in jail? Get good at evading the law... or have a backup plan where you can call upon friends / crew / new contacts made through previous prison stints to help you get out. Learn the layout of the prison or jail, find the blind spots or weak points, then make your move as soon as nobody is looking!

Me, i'd be in my orange chinos and hipster glasses, going all Alex Vause on the inside :D

Edited by Coleco
  • Like 2

XIantonioIX

Or just fix the damn super cops ai and superspeed crown victoria

• Like 3

paperbagdude

Honestly, I'm really liking this idea since it would add a new game play mechanic to the game, and although people could argue that it would get annoying. You could just get shot by the police and it would fine when you just spawn.

Then again, what if Rockstar brought the player more consequenses after death? I'm personally a huge fan of freemode wars, but then again, if hospital bills increased and you would actually spawn at a local medical center instead. In this case, jail would maybe be considered more economical advanced when 'getting away' with something. Also if your weapons + ammunition would be seized by the police and you had to buy it back through a fine, people would maybe think twice before commiting violent actions towards other players, pedestrians and the cops.

I believe a system like this would decrease the violence that so many seems to shun upon. It would also make the game more realistic, dynamic and strategic IMO.

Edited by paperbagdude
  • Like 3

JohnXina - Discord Emojispacer.pngJohnXina - Discord Emoji

Jacobmaate

From my personal view and opinion, I think this would actually be a great idea, especially as im working along with some of the GTA RP Community about working and pitching a [GTAO] Law Enforcement DLC, and one thing we struggled on the most was "JAIL TIME" but this... this could be some what of a great system that actually offers more to the game and once again could link to "Vigilante Missions" that cropped up a number of times from various users here on the Forums.

I fully support this idea and im really impressed ;)

One Star cops should be equipped with Tasers too

Yeah but we know what R* are like, heck GTAO is glitchy af at the moment, and imagine Cops with Tazers and they just non stop shoot you. Next thing you know either some random dick from free roam decides to run you over, the police turn violent, the police get pissed at you for some reason and you gain a 2* and so they open fire with pistols, or you simply just blow up because... because this is GTA Online and cops fall from the sky, crates & containers sit outside garage doors, rubber rings spread across Del Perro & Random sh*t happens in San Andreas all the time.

• Like 2

Interesting, but I'd worry about people hovering above the prison in Hydras and Buzzards for easy spawn killing.

• Like 1

Sitting around with your thumb up your ass or severe penalties for death? Save it for a hardcore game or rp.

• Like 1

Jacobmaate

Interesting, but I'd worry about people hovering above the prison in Hydras and Buzzards for easy spawn killing.

Interesting point, well Id like to think if you had 4*+ You would be well equipped and be able to take out Military Grade Aircraft, dependent on the skill of the Pilot I guess, but either way, you should pull through, even if it does mean a bit of Passive Mode Time.

Sitting around with your thumb up your ass or severe penalties for death? Save it for a hardcore game or rp.

You seem to have a thing for "Thumbs up peoples asses" dont you?

• Like 2

RayBanNeonColors420

Great idea...and it will never happen. Submit anyway, by i wouldn't get my hopes up.

Chloroform

The only "flaw" I see in this system, how many people would want to continue to play? There would actually be less crime in the game haha.

Edited by Chloroform
  • Like 1

This is a great idea, I can't believe I actually like the thought of it.

Now, if you were to flee and failed by getting killed, would you spawn back in the jail, or at the local hospital? It wouldn't make much sense to spawn back in the prison, and kind of would defeat the purpose of being in the jail if you can just kill yourself and spawn in the hospital.

Not A Nice Person

Hi, this is Dumbf*ckLive and in todays money glitch...

Very great idea. A bit inconveniente though.

Edited by Sayuri

Misanthrope Z

if this were for a separate game mode, then sure

for freemode, hell no lol. way too tedious.

Valtiel150

Not being shot dead on a one star I received just for getting in to my own car would be a lovely start.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone, I was expecting a less warm reception to the idea. I think that the main criticism is that some people don't want to go to jail, but this system is entirely optional. You can still outrun the police or die as normal (without being teleported to jail) , but surrendering would send you to jail (if you so choose). Once in prison, dieing within its confines would bring you back to the cells (no extra time added), but managing to escape would allow the player to spawn normally after being killed (but they'd still retain their escapee bounty). About players camping at the jail; the police would likely respond, and released players would spawn normally again. It would be integrated in freemode, but again, its up to you to decide if you'd rather go to jail.

I might leave in the bodybag, but never in cuffs

• Like 3

only if you had the option to surrender like click both analog sticks down on any wanted level

otherwise it would be just as before...police try and kill you

Sky_Light12

Real Bounty Hunting:

Unlike the clandestine hit contracts issued through Lester, bounties acquired by escaping jail are dependent on the initial wanted level (ex an escapee arrested for a five star wanted level would have a higher bounty than an escapee arrested for two stars), and can reach higher values than standard bounties. These players would be marked with an icon similar to regular bounties, but with pair of handcuffs under the skull denoting their status as fugitives.

bounty hunt...? not bad , how much price per star on the bounty ?

----------

bounty hunt...? not bad , how much price per star on the bounty ?

I don't know if it'd be enough, but I'd say 5,000 per star.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

Interesting idea but we all know then the prison woud be an anoying TD place.

Also to those who say it woud reduce crime..yes indeed for normal people but not for modders and their friends and the poor freeroam warrior with a high KD.

I still can recall playing gta, breing level 4 and being killed by anything in session....during the times you actualy lost percentages of the money you had, banked or not

Hmmm... And when 16 players all surrender at the same time!?

• Like 1

I like it....

Also, when ur in jail u have access to "jail house tattoos"tm, random spawn of dudes u have to shank, new contacts to get in contactings once you escape to perform burgalaries with across LS.

:) i Chang

TiberiusMcQueen

I just want another star added to the wanted level meter, get those tanks and jets to leave the military base and come after you in the city, this is GTA, Military at max wanted level is something that they never should have removed. and program the cops to follow you into the subway, sewer, and train tunnels already.

Edited by TiberiusMcQueen

The game has been out nearly 2 years, nothing is gonna change. Using the prison is not an original idea at all. Op, you would have done better to bump one of the other hundred threads on this matter, would have saved you some time.

The game has been out nearly 2 years, nothing is gonna change. Using the prison is not an original idea at all. Op, you would have done better to bump one of the other hundred threads on this matter, would have saved you some time.

Many people have had the idea to use prison, while its not the most original idea (its even used in other games), I still wanted to generate a discussion about a potential feature that bumping a thread would not have made. I do agree though, that there most likely won't be any groundbreaking additions to this game, and if more recent patch notes are any indicator, R* might just take things away.

slowburn29

I like it. But if they can't make black pants not purple, what hope is there?