4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA V, fps 15-24 :(

Cedantarmatogae

Cedantarmatogae

Hi,

I bought a new pc this week (Intel® Core™ i7 4790 3.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB)

The first two days GTA V played smooth (with high - very high settings), but now it's laggy every couple of seconds. I changed the settings from low to very high, but it doesn't make a lot of difference. With my current settings (low - normal) the 'video memory' bar says 1410 MB/4095 MB. Yet I still have a low fps: 15-24 fps when I drive around, and about 30 walking or in a building.

Anybody knows how to fix this? I already tried: deinstalling en installing again, updating my videocard drivers (including the 520.12 one for GTA V) and optimalizing settings in GeForce Experience.

cryptorelic

Well i don't know what to say here. I have a Intel Core i5-4460, 3.2 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 2GB and i reach 50 - 60 FPS at the benchmark test.

How are your graphic settings and advanced graphic settings ?

EDIT: I just see you only use 1410 MB of 4095 MB. I have around 1560 MB in use. What is your operating system ? Have you tried windowed borderless mode instead of fullscreen ?

Edited by DoubledRelic696

ClareXoBearrx3R9

Do you have any other applications running in the background? Intensive programs that are running when you play the game can cause this.

Cedantarmatogae

Well i don't know what to say here. I have a Intel Core i5-4460, 3.2 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 2GB and i reach 50 - 60 FPS at the benchmark test.

EDIT: I just see you only use 1410 MB of 4095 MB. I have around 1560 MB in use. What is your operating system ? Have you tried windowed borderless mode instead of fullscreen ?

I have Windows 8.1. How do I enable windowed borderless mode?

By changing the 'Screen Type' in the Graphics options.

lNGn2oi.jpg

Your pc shouldn't have any issues running the game, the only thing I can think of right now is that your pc might be throttling down because of heat problems. It's very hot the past few days where you live (according to your profile country), so that might explain why it ran fine at first.

Edited by Earleys

Cedantarmatogae

By changing the 'Screen Type' in the Graphics options.

lNGn2oi.jpg

Your pc shouldn't have any issues running the game, the only thing I can think of right now is that your pc might be throttling down because of heat problems. It's very hot the past few days where you live (according to your profile country), so that might explain why it ran fine at first.

Ok, thnx. I was thinking the heat thing as well. We'll see if that is indeed the problem, since it's cooling down today :)

If the cooler that came with your CPU is anything like the one that came with my 4770k then you should definitely change it for something better. My stock cooler was totally ineffective and caused my CPU to throttle when the CPU was put under any load.

I settled for a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO.

I have the same specs and my game runs fine. But it's true that the stock cooler is not enough, my pc heats up when playing a cpu intensive game such as gta v.

Just finished bulding a new PC

- i5 4460 3,4Ghz
- Gainward GTX 750ti 2GB
- 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
- 8GB RAM DDR3
- MSI B85M-E45

Very High Settings - 60 fps, if I turn off Vsync it goes to 70-80 sometimes especialy during rain and night. (Note that the resolution of my monitor is 1680x1050)

Finaly a completely smooth experience.

It is very ironic that people with much powerful setups are getting terrible performance. Rockstar should really focus on the performance issues it's ridiculous...

Edited by Trash99

- i5 4460 3,4Ghz

- Gainward GTX 750ti 2GB

- 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

- 8GB RAM DDR3

- MSI B85M-E45

Very High Settings - 60 fps, if I turn off Vsync it goes to 70-80 sometimes especialy during rain and night. (Note that the resolution of my monitor is 1680x1050)

It is very ironic that people with much powerful setups are getting terrible performance. Rockstar should really focus on the performance issues it's ridiculous...

I'm going to disagree with your comment on performance. This game is extremely well optimized. The major problem isn't R*, it's poorly optimized PCs running malware, spyware, adware and god knows what else. Not to mention the infinite number of hardware configurations out there. I have seen GTA 5 run on a machine with half of the minimum specs using normal-high details and get 30fps, also seen a 16 core 4 gpu beast struggle because the owner loves to use torrents and let every type of cpu/gpu intensive background app/virus in.

You NEED to know exactly what your PC is doing, why and when it is doing it to get the best performance out of anything you try to run.

• Like 3

Kaito Katsumi

Hi,

I bought a new pc this week (Intel® Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB)

The first two days GTA V played smooth (with high - very high settings), but now it's laggy every couple of seconds. I changed the settings from low to very high, but it doesn't make a lot of difference. With my current settings (low - normal) the 'video memory' bar says 1410 MB/4095 MB. Yet I still have a low fps: 15-24 fps when I drive around, and about 30 walking or in a building.

Anybody knows how to fix this? I already tried: deinstalling en installing again, updating my videocard drivers (including the 520.12 one for GTA V) and optimalizing settings in GeForce Experience.

Try getting rid of any other programs/malware hogging your cpu

- i5 4460 3,4Ghz

- Gainward GTX 750ti 2GB

- 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

- 8GB RAM DDR3

- MSI B85M-E45

I'm going to disagree with your comment on performance. This game is extremely well optimized. The major problem isn't R*, it's poorly optimized PCs running malware, spyware, adware and god knows what else. Not to mention the infinite number of hardware configurations out there. I have seen GTA 5 run on a machine with half of the minimum specs using normal-high details and get 30fps, also seen a 16 core 4 gpu beast struggle because the owner loves to use torrents and let every type of cpu/gpu intensive background app/virus in.

You NEED to know exactly what your PC is doing, why and when it is doing it to get the best performance out of anything you try to run.

I've seen people on reddit struggling with running the game on normal settings with Titans or GTX 970s in SLI even on a fresh system with a formated drive.

Everytime R* updates the game, different kids of people start reporting issues with performance. So that what you said is utter bullcrap. When the game got released, all those performance issues were caused by Rockstar, their stupid DRM and Social Club application - I know this caused it stopped after a couple of patches + having the social club app limited with software to run the game properly.

If there are people with less powerful setups running the game fine, it doesn't mean they don't have a mess in their PC and that the other people with powerful rigs do. It really depends on the specific configuration and right now it seems that the more powerful PC you have, the more issues you get in the game. So the only one to blame is Rockstar and their updates (especialy the recent one that killed performance for lots of people)

- i5 4460 3,4Ghz

- Gainward GTX 750ti 2GB

- 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

- 8GB RAM DDR3

- MSI B85M-E45

I've seen people on reddit struggling with running the game on normal settings with Titans or GTX 970s in SLI even on a fresh system with a formated drive.

Everytime R* updates the game, different kids of people start reporting issues with performance. So that what you said is utter bullcrap. When the game got released, all those performance issues were caused by Rockstar, their stupid DRM and Social Club application - I know this caused it stopped after a couple of patches + having the social club app limited with software to run the game properly.

If there are people with less powerful setups running the game fine, it doesn't mean they don't have a mess in their PC and that the other people with powerful rigs do. It really depends on the specific configuration and right now it seems that the more powerful PC you have, the more issues you get in the game. So the only one to blame is Rockstar and their updates (especialy the recent one that killed performance for lots of people)

Once again, going to disagree. I have installed 5 on numerous machines from mild to wild. All installations run flawlessly because the machines hardware and software was cleaned and prepped first. Your assertion that a FPS problem is a R* problem shows your ignorance in the matter. the only caveat I will give you is that R* does introduce minor bugs with updates, but nothing that would cause a capable machine to run it at 15-24 FPS.

Teletesselator

- i5 4460 3,4Ghz

- Gainward GTX 750ti 2GB

- 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

- 8GB RAM DDR3

- MSI B85M-E45

I don't think anyone except the RS Dev team can actually say how well optimized their game engine is nor where it could stand (needs) to be improved. But I kinda doubt the primary cause of low FPS is adware and so on. I think it's people's personal settings in the Graphics and Advanced Graphics menus myself. I can set it up so that my dual Titan X system can't even achieve 50FPS @ 1080p if I want. Understanding those menu options and what combinations will bring your system to it's knees is crutial in getting the best image with a playble frame rate and no intermittent lags. I suppose a clean adware-free system is also important but I would assume that it's a lack of understanding that's the real culprit in most cases. Even with the explainations and tutorials on-line (both of which require one to actually read something) one still must test and retest their system with different settings in order to determine the optimal configuration for their system - and I don't think many people are willing to do either - so we get posts of folks claiming low FPS and Lags hoping for a magic fix from the community. ;)

I don't think there's anything wrong with this - it's just the human-gamer condition. Being aware of it I think would help people here in answering some of these posts tho. :)

--

BTW, I've found that using the "optimalizing settings in GeForce Experience" usually makes things worse - not better. What they come up with is almost always wrong for any of the systems I maintain. :p I send them suggestions but to date they haven't implimented a single one - so they don't listen to seasoned professionals either. <shrug>

Edited by Teletesselator
  • Like 2

ClareXoBearrx3R9

- i5 4460 3,4Ghz

- Gainward GTX 750ti 2GB

- 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

- 8GB RAM DDR3

- MSI B85M-E45

I don't think anyone except the RS Dev team can actually say how well optimized their game engine is nor where it could stand (needs) to be improved. But I kinda doubt the primary cause of low FPS is adware and so on. I think it's people's personal settings in the Graphics and Advanced Graphics menus myself. I can set it up so that my dual Titan X system can't even achieve 50FPS @ 1080p if I want. Understanding those menu options and what combinations will bring your system to it's knees is crutial in getting the best image with a playble frame rate and no intermittent lags. I suppose a clean adware-free system is also important but I would assume that it's a lack of understanding that's the real culprit in most cases. Even with the explainations and tutorials on-line (both of which require one to actually read something) one still must test and retest their system with different settings in order to determine the optimal configuration for their system - and I don't think many people are willing to do either - so we get posts of folks claiming low FPS and Lags hoping for a magic fix from the community. ;)

I don't think there's anything wrong with this - it's just the human-gamer condition. Being aware of it I think would help people here in answering some of these posts tho. :)

--

BTW, I've found that using the "optimalizing settings in GeForce Experience" usually makes things worse - not better. What they come up with is almost always wrong for any of the systems I maintain. :p I send them suggestions but to date they haven't implimented a single one - so they don't listen to seasoned professionals either. <shrug>

This. This here is definitely sound advice.

Bottom line is, with thousands of hardware and software combinations, it is near impossible for a single set of configurations to work perfectly or the same with all systems. People should individually test various settings at different values to achieve best performance on their machines. :)

• Like 1

- i5 4460 3,4Ghz

- Gainward GTX 750ti 2GB

- 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

- 8GB RAM DDR3

- MSI B85M-E45

--

Couldn't agree more with this statement. I will take responsibility for assuming that PC users know how to optimize the settings in any given game for the best balance of graphics vs. performance. I will throw a bone and let everyone know that the biggest FPS killers in GTA 5 are Shader settings, Ambient Occlusion, and Anti Aliasing. With Shader set to normal, Ambient Occlusion off, and AA off you can crank everything else up to high and get a very stable 30 FPS on an old machine while achieving 60 FPS or higher on a newer machine. Now lets see if anyone reads this. :)

Edited by HeliPilot
  • Like 1

So much for a bloated game launcher whose only practical use is to turn on Shadowplay for recording. :/

And yes, your problem may have something to do with your system overheating. You tried having your rig re-pasted with thermal compound or something? And from what I've heard 4th gen Cores tend to run hot so delidding it or using an aftermarket cooler might do the trick.

76561198000404928.png

ClareXoBearrx3R9

Speaking of which, does everyone get an average 60 degrees Centigrade on their CPU when playing GTA V?

My Intel Core i5-3320M which is also being used as the graphics runs between 96-103 while playing GTA V lol :p

Speaking of which, does everyone get an average 60 degrees Centigrade on their CPU when playing GTA V?

My Intel Core i5-3320M which is also being used as the graphics runs between 96-103 while playing GTA V lol :p

Laptop hardware always run hotter because it doesn't always have good cooling, i recommend you using a laptop cooler or blow a fan directly at it.

WOAH!! that is HOTTT! Anything past 80C is dangerous. Should re-paste that baby quick.

I am running GTA 5 on 3 Alienware laptops from a Core i7 M14XR2 to a Core i7 17 and cpu temp highs are 78c while GPU temps hover around 65c. All three have received the Arctic Silver 5 treatment.

The M14XR2 averages 30-45 FPS on high setting while the 17 on ultra has no issues with 60 FPS.

Edited by HeliPilot
  • Like 1

Cedantarmatogae

- i5 4460 3,4Ghz

- Gainward GTX 750ti 2GB

- 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

- 8GB RAM DDR3

- MSI B85M-E45

--

Well, you're assuming I did not try a lot of things myself. It's true that I don't have extended knowledge of a PC, but I have literally spent 4 entire days searching for solutions and trying out many, many different system and graphics settings. I agree with you that people like me can srew up their own settings and make low fps happen, but don't assume somebody like me is lazy and unwilling to read instructions. Don't assume things, don't judge people without knowing f*ck all about their efforts.

Teletesselator

Oh, no no... I wasn't aiming that at you personally... I was suggesting the problem in general is more often caused by a lack of understanding (which leads to less than optimal settings - (which leads to an excessive amount of forum threads)) rather than an infestation of adware and such - as was being suggested by the person I replied to. And for this ignorance I directly blame the game studios, their developers and the Dox team(s). It's utterly ridiculous that the highest grossing game in the history of PC gaming can't be arsed to document two menus worth of [experience critical] settings in a way the average lay-person can fully grasp (directly in-game - without having to go read Joe Sixpack's web page of assumptions or whatever)! Shame on Rockstar! Really!!!

Edited by Teletesselator

Teletesselator

BTW, on that overheating issue... there are shareware monitors you can DL which will notify you if GPU or CPU throttling is occurring. If you use one of those first then you will know if you need to reseat the CPU, add fans, or whatever.

and...

Weird, my biggest fps killers are Post FX, Grass and AA.

Yeah, it's going to be different for different hardware configurations. For example one card (vendor & version) may not be bothered much by Rockstar's "Post FX" while an earlier version or different vendor's card may struggle with them... etc. Or like maybe Grass is no problem if the card has DDR5 (and enough of it), but DDR4 cards will struggle - and so on...

Same with all the heavy settings really.

Edited by Teletesselator

OP why would you want to increase FPS? 15-24 FPS is good, it's cinematic.

lydianduck

^ haha, good joke. 15fps is definately NOT cinematic.

Maybe 30, but 15 is more like a power point presentation.

Teletesselator

What were old cartoons played at again, was it 12fps or 15 - I forget.

I should know this too - it's the history of my profession - I used to know... Now I'm ancient and can't remember. :p

Edited by Teletesselator

- i5 4460 3,4Ghz

- Gainward GTX 750ti 2GB

- 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

- 8GB RAM DDR3

- MSI B85M-E45

Once again, going to disagree. I have installed 5 on numerous machines from mild to wild. All installations run flawlessly because the machines hardware and software was cleaned and prepped first. Your assertion that a FPS problem is a R* problem shows your ignorance in the matter. the only caveat I will give you is that R* does introduce minor bugs with updates, but nothing that would cause a capable machine to run it at 15-24 FPS.

Just wanted to return here after the recent update from Rockstar. You still think the problem with stuttering is caused by messy PCs of users ?

Well :

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/206862727

https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/3cs7ku/currently_the_performance_of_the_game_is/

So stop saying it's not their problem and that we all have viruses. It's only and only their fault, they are braking the game and dropping the pefromance massively since Gotten Gains updates. Made that stupid statement of yours bold and big so people can see.

Edited by Trash99

- i5 4460 3,4Ghz

- Gainward GTX 750ti 2GB

- 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

- 8GB RAM DDR3

- MSI B85M-E45

Just wanted to return here after the recent update from Rockstar. You still think the problem with stuttering is caused by messy PCs of users ?

Well :

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/206862727

https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/3cs7ku/currently_the_performance_of_the_game_is/

So stop saying it's not their problem and that we all have viruses. It's only and only their fault, they are braking the game and dropping the pefromance massively since Gotten Gains updates. Made that stupid statement of yours bold and big so people can see.

Go back and re-read the entire thread. R* has problems, but it IS the users issues also. And I never inferred that ALL users have viruses, just that viruses can cause serious issues with game performance in general.

It also appears that the performance issue is YOUR lack of any real knowledge when it comes to optimizing a PC to run any type of CPU/GPU intensive software. Again, I have 5 running on many machines and do not have the stutter or FPS issues because I am smart enough to understand what I'm doing. You come here, ask a question, get all sorts of responses from people trying to help, and then attack the ones you don't like? So who is the stupid one here?

Edited by HeliPilot