3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Richard Power Colt

Movies you think are overrated

Mr. Scratch

I heard it's somewhat low-budget as well compared to a lot of his other movies.

44$ million isn't what I'd call low-budget. And of course it is, most of the action takes place in a tavern.

Dr. Robotnik

Breakfast Club.

Bender was a contemptible piece of sh*t. I was rooting for Vernon the whole time.

Gay Tony

Although I enjoyed The Avengers for what it was it's filled with so much crazy generic CGI action with nothing other than the typical destruction and mayhem of New York City. I felt "Meh" by the end of it.

The Dark Knight is also a fun movie to watch, but it's not profound in any way. It's astounding to me the worship for Nolan's movies in general. His movies are fun, but they are in no way profound. I also found Heath's performance as the Joker edgy and over-dramatic.

The Transformers movies are also quite bland and uninteresting.

Edited by mr toasterbutt

Richard Power Colt

I didn't really get the excitement about the Avengers either. I was a bit bored by the lack of any interesting plot and just having the characters together doesn't do it for me since I'm not really a marvel fan. I also think the constant quips are obnoxious(it's even worse in Age of Ultron) and the end fight, while nicely coreographed I guess, is really just a flashy CGI fest that lacks tension or any personal conflict of sorts(they're fighting some random alien army where as Loki the actual villain we're familiar with just gets his ass kicked by Hulk with ease). I was hoping they'd have an awesome fight against Ultron as a single robot in AOU, but we got the same dumb faceless army thing again.

The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy I thought were pretty good tho.

Edited by Nutsack McQueen

Mr. Scratch

I also found Heath's performance as the Joker edgy and over-dramatic.

Well to be fair that's pretty much what the Joker is like.

HaythamKenway

Part of the fun watching the first Avengers was the general hype around it (and I mean "hype" positively). For a fan, it was like dream coming true, right in front of his eyes. All those crossover books, all those "would Hulk beat Thor" arguments you've had with friends growing up, suddenly transcribed onto the big screen, in a huge big budget Hollywood spectacle. I've watched the movie only a couple of times since, and while I still enjoyed it, you can never recapture that magic again. Meanwhile, movies like Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2 or TDK never lost it.

Dbzk1999

I didn't really get the excitement about the Avengers either..

Seeing the first true hero team up/crossover after about 4 years of build up is a reason.

For real, tony stark appearing at the post credit scene of TIH and people realising that this is all in the same universe definitely helped

Edited by Dbzk1999

Richard Power Colt

I was kinda disappointed by the Martian. I just had the wrong expectations going in, I thought it would be more similar to Ridley Scott's Alien in terms of atmosphere, but it ended up being a very optimistic story with hardly any thrills or even drama. The humor was really cringey at times too. I enjoyed it, but I still wanted it to be something else. Probably should have watched Sicario instead.

slimeball supreme

Forest Gump.

X S

Seven Pounds.

Jesus f*ck, what a ridiculous plot. Some selfish asshole suddenly decides that suicide is okay as long as he donates his organs? What kind of message does that send? And forget the fact that the jellyfish poison would have ruined the organs anyway, but why didn't he just blow his brains out to save us from the psuedo-poetic toilet-of-an-ending it was instead? Hell, Donnie Darko was better than this gutless emo sh*t.

75% from the audience, but 27% from the critics. At least the critics were right on this one.

The Deadite

Superman is a stupid movie, dumb as sh*t.

The earth spining crap is cringeworthy, i mean, who saved Jimny again and why there's not two Supes?

Is this The Guy?

Edit

Wrong thread :)

Edited by This Guy?

Shakermaker

Taxi Driver. Watched it some time ago. It was great, but not brilliant IMO.

Lacks of focus.

Richard Power Colt

Escape from New York. I watched it recently and thought it was really boring. The action was poor and the characters were uninteresting.

Superman is a stupid movie, dumb as sh*t.

The earth spining crap is cringeworthy, i mean, who saved Jimny again and why there's not two Supes?

It was probably a good film for its time, but it's way too campy if you watch it now.

Dr. Robotnik

I was kinda disappointed by the Martian. I just had the wrong expectations going in, I thought it would be more similar to Ridley Scott's Alien in terms of atmosphere, but it ended up being a very optimistic story with hardly any thrills or even drama. The humor was really cringey at times too. I enjoyed it, but I still wanted it to be something else. Probably should have watched Sicario instead.

I have to say, "The Martian" is probably the only movie I've seen where I thought, "That was really good, and yet for some reason I didn't enjoy watching it at all". Maybe it was just too science-y on one end and whimsical on the other, but I just never got into it despite recognizing it as a "good" film.

I don't like "Halloween" at all. Michael Myers is such a non-character that the same basic plot could've been played out by replacing him with an escaped killer gorilla. I get that he's supposed to play off a primal fear, but I don't often get scared when watching movies, no matter the content, and the film doesn't have much to offer besides trying to make the audience feel that visceral response, other than maybe Donald Pleasance as Loomis.

Edited by Dr. Robotnik

CrysisAverted

most marvel flicks

they just have no substance and the replay value is lost on me

Mister Pink

Lacks of focus.

Can you elaborate on that, please? How does it lack focus? :)

Shakermaker

Lacks of focus.

Well I watched it two times and I still don't know what is the point of the movie.

Michael

Everyone is so positive about Resevoir Dogs but I didn't really like the movie. I found it very confusing and the story is kinda overrated I guess.

Edited by Bleached

Mister Pink

Lacks of focus.

Well I watched it two times and I still don't know what is the point of the movie.

I see. The film has been critiqued by the many and some of the best and the usual conclusion that it's a very focused and important film of our age. This is pretty decent, if you want to take a look. It's longer than the other analysis videos but it's worth watching :)

Shakermaker

@Mister Pink: Thanks for sharing it!

Zello

The Godfather

LincolnClay

Although I enjoyed The Avengers for what it was it's filled with so much crazy generic CGI action with nothing other than the typical destruction and mayhem of New York City. I felt "Meh" by the end of it.

The Dark Knight is also a fun movie to watch, but it's not profound in any way. It's astounding to me the worship for Nolan's movies in general. His movies are fun, but they are in no way profound. I also found Heath's performance as the Joker edgy and over-dramatic.

The Transformers movies are also quite bland and uninteresting.

I agree with Transformers being bland and uninteresting...

But Joker is like that. He's crazy...

The Deadite

The first Paranormal Activity movie was a glorified jump scare video, the rest were even worst.

In fact, all found footage films overstay his welcome after a while, no one films a giant monster attack or witch attack for that long.

Richard Power Colt

Locke. One of the most boring movies I've ever seen. I thought it would be a sort of isolated thriller movie like Buried which was actually good, but no just a guy in car talking about concrete for almost 90 minutes. Ended up putting on fast forward near the end to finish the movie quicker.

thatstupidbug

- Pulp fiction. I know, i know, the movie isn't about a great story, but more about superb acting, interesting conversation and characters and the weird dinamic between multiple stories...

But in the end i was like "that's just it?". yeah, nothing really happen

- Winter soldier. I remeber it as a decent to average marvel flick. Even by rewatching it, i can't see where the "best marvel movie ever" came from.

Cameron Star

Almost every super hero movie. I just don't see the appeal. They all look the same, angsty person with super powers struggling with inner demons or balancing two lives, dress up in colourful suits and make heroic poses that would look daft in real life, destroy half the city while claiming they're saving it. Near the end of the movie it looks like they've lost but, SURPRISE, they gain the upperhand at the last minute and save the day! Woo and stuff.

The Deadite

Almost every super hero movie. I just don't see the appeal. They all look the same, angsty person with super powers struggling with inner demons or balancing two lives, dress up in colourful suits and make heroic poses that would look daft in real life, destroy half the city while claiming they're saving it. Near the end of the movie it looks like they've lost but, SURPRISE, they gain the upperhand at the last minute and save the day! Woo and stuff.

You forgot about the shoehorned love story that no one gives a sh*t about.

GtaLegend15

I'm a fan of the franchise but tbh fast & furious is a little overrated

Dbzk1999

Can't speak for others, but for me,being able to see the heroes that I've grown up reading be faithfully adapted is what makes me love them (same with my dad)