3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Richard Power Colt

Movies you think are overrated

TECHN9CiAN

All superhero movies (batman, spiderman, ironman, avengers, etc). That garbage is not only stale and predictable, but mind-numbingly uninspiring. Please make all the superhero movies stop. Its overdone. No more f*ckin reboots.

Edited by TECHN9CiAN

Mr. Scratch

The Dark Knight was better than most superhero movies around. But Deadpool needs his own movie, you can't deny him that.

TAT0501710

Transformer Age of Extinction. The plot pretty boring in my opinion.

Marlowe.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Which is weird, because I generally don't dislike Charlie Kauffman or Jim Carrey, but I walked out of that feeling empty-ish.

I find a lot of David Fincher's recent work overrated as well. The Social Network, Gone Girl and his remake of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I can appreciate the work he does personally but the movies he's responsible for often leave me feeling flat.

iBUCKEYE

No more f*ckin reboots.

Now this I can agree with.

Richard Power Colt

All superhero movies (batman, spiderman, ironman, avengers, etc). That garbage is not only stale and predictable, but mind-numbingly uninspiring. Please make all the superhero movies stop. Its overdone. No more f*ckin reboots.

Apparently they're putting out Fantastic 4 movies just so they can keep the rights to the franchise. That's why they've all sucked.

jatiger13

IMO, Citizen Kane.

I don't care how great people say it is. It's f*cking boring. Plot is pretty lame as well. Wasted time watching that crap.

Edited by jatiger13

acmilano

Apparently they're putting out Fantastic 4 movies just so they can keep the rights to the franchise. That's why they've all sucked.

They pumped too much of those movies in a short time. They are still good ,but all that 'Cinematic universe' thing will at the end create backclash and audience will have enough of it. Just look at the planned movies in next 5 years from DC, Marvel and Fox:

http://screenrant.com/dc-marvel-movie-schedule-2015-2020/

Star Wars movies could end up the same,too many milking:

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/star-wars/241723/full-star-wars-movie-release-calendar

It could end up making Superheroes and Star Wars from beloved to hated franchises very fast.

Kiffster

Transformer Age of Extinction.

It's actually massively underrated tho

Richard Power Colt

Transformer Age of Extinction.

It's actually massively underrated tho

I'd say that the general movie-going public still enjoys these Transformer movies, but most people with more knowledge about the movie industry and half a brain would tell you that Michael Bay is an awful director.

Kiffster

I don't agree. I enjoyed Bad Boys, Armageddon wasn't too bad, I liked Pearl Harbor, love Transformers.. Don't know what else he directed, but he's definitely not a bad director. In my opinion.

acmilano

Basically,this is Michael Bay now:

Mr. Scratch

IMO, Citizen Kane.

I don't care how great people say it is. It's f*cking boring. Plot is pretty lame as well. Wasted time watching that crap.

Lol

Lock n' Stock

2001: A Space Odyssey for me. It's visually impressive (for it's time) but the thing is just a snoozefest. I could barely make it through to be honest. You could say I just don't "get it" and need mindless action to keep me entertained, even though I am a fan of other works by Stanley Kubrick.

Edited by G.S.T

Richard Power Colt

2001: A Space Odyssey for me. It's visually impressive (for it's time) but the thing is just a snoozefest. I could barely make it through to be honest. You could say I just don't "get it" and need mindless action to keep me entertained, even though I am a fan of other works by Stanley Kubrick.

It is a very fascinating and visually remarkable film, but as far as pure entertainment value goes, it's not that great, because it gets really really slow at times.

Speaking of movies that felt slow and tiresome, Ghost in the shell I actually found to be quite boring. I didn't dislike it. I thought it was a pretty interesting film and the atmosphere was great, but I just found the philosophical dialogue to be a bit rambly sometimes and the story to be forgettable. The main character, being a cyborg that hardly shows any emotion also doesn't really help to bring life to anything that's going on. I kinda feel like I should maybe watch it again though, because I may have actually misunderstood some things in it. Regardless, on my first viewing, it felt surprisingly long for its less than 2 hour run time.

Edited by Nutsack McQueen

bloatedsack

Boondock Saints is absolutely the worst film I have ever seen. I cannot comprehend why anyone likes it, much less the circlejerk of obsession some people have for this thing.

bloatedsack

It is boring to watch, but it's actually a very fascinating movie if you understand the actual story and what's actually happening to it, which isn't easy to pick out if you're not all that interested or haven't read the companion story; they were basically done together, in different mediums, where each reaches the same destination through albeit slightly different roads.

And, in it's way, I think most of it's special effects can still hold up in their way because it represents space as it would be, vast, silent, and overwhelming. You may want ion-thrustered fighters pewpewing through the galaxy, but the slow and ponderous, silent ships would be far more true. I love the minor little touches as Dr. Whosis (it's been awhile) flies to the moon base, the velcro slippers, the pen floating by as the stewardess grabs it, etc.

However, as I said, teh story of 2001 is actually pretty good if you can fit the pieces together, especially when you can understand how some of the visuals come together to symbolize things such as the Monolith blessing man with the knowledge of tools to allow us to out-evolve the predators, and again how the second and third Monoliths each hand out their own evolutionary guidance to allow man to reach out and continually evolve until man transcends.

You're in pretty good company, though, when it comes to hating on 2001. It's hard. It's so very, very long and dry. I'd suggest you try the Arthur C. Clarke book, then go back and give it one more go before writing it off as just a technical film, though.

Mister Pinkerton

Boondock Saints is absolutely the worst film I have ever seen. I cannot comprehend why anyone likes it, much less the circlejerk of obsession some people have for this thing.

Yes. Thank you. It's been so long since I viewed but I remember it being sh*t yet it had some sort of cult following. I never got around to see the doc made about the writer. Been meaning to watch it for hmm about 10 years now :p

Input

f*cking YES!!

Man, I'm so god damn tired of hearing my friends talk about that pile of sh*t like it's the bible of being a badass.

f*ck that movie.

Edited by Input

[...]

The Wolf of Wall Street. This movie is my definition of trying too hard.

Edited by Phnx.

El Dildo

a little late to the party, but I recently just saw Silver Linings Playbook for the first time.

seriously one of the most overrated films of all time.

aside from the fact that it's extremely boring and not funny, the message is terrible. apparently mental illness can be cured through the power of illegal gambling and a well-timed dance montage... err wut??

no.

this movie sucks and people got suckered into thinking it was good. probably because they're more into Jennifer or Bradley than anything substantive. because this film has no substance.

Edited by El Diablo

Not A Nice Person

Fast and furious series, don't see how they got popular except for 7.

The Hunger Games. Good concept, but the movie was boring (IMO). The fact that it has been turned into a series with another film on the way surprises me.

That's because it's based on a book.

Mr. Scratch

Nevermind that the novels ripped off Battle Royale.

Not A Nice Person

Nevermind that the novels ripped off Battle Royale.

Oh man you just reminded me, I love that movie! I think hunger games is more based off it because it's completely different. The government in BR doesn't trust youth. The government in HG just wants the people to know they're in complete power, by sending your kids off to die...

Dr. Robotnik

"Gone Girl" was seriously overrated. It's just one more "some asshole spends some time being an asshole and gets away with it" movies. Which isn't to say those kinds of movies can't be done well ("Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" is one of my favorite films), but the movie got so much critical acclaim that I really went in expecting something more substantial.

Reading this thread made me realize something, too. As much as I love Tarantino, what happened to the minimalist style he used in Reservoir Dogs? All his movies are over-the-top gory spectacles now. They're still awesome, don't get me wrong, but I'm really starting to miss his more stripped-down, bare minimum early approach. He pulled it off so well you'd think he'd have stayed in that style.

Edited by Dr. Robotnik

Mr. Scratch

Reading this thread made me realize something, too. As much as I love Tarantino, what happened to the minimalist style he used in Reservoir Dogs? All his movies are over-the-top gory spectacles now. They're still awesome, don't get me wrong, but I'm really starting to miss his more stripped-down, bare minimum early approach. He pulled it off so well you'd think he'd have stayed in that style.

The Hateful Eight seems like it's going to return to that style.

Dr. Robotnik

Really? That ought to be interesting to see.

Mr. Scratch

Haven't you seen the trailer?

Richard Power Colt

I heard it's somewhat low-budget as well compared to a lot of his other movies.

blaze

Breakfast Club.