3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Richard Power Colt

Movies you think are overrated

Richard Power Colt

Oh neat I didn't actually know that Morricone was scoring the film. Makes me more excited.

Jackie Brown and True Romance are my favorites, even though the first is based on Elmore Leonard's novel and True Crime was directed by Tony Scott but based on Tarantino's screenplay. Either way I'd like to see more movies like those from him, his most recent just feel childish in a way.

Jackie Brown is probably Tarantino's least Tarantinoish film actually. I like all of his films though I didn't like the Kill Bill movies as much as I thought I would so I guess that's another one I find overrated.

That's the whole point, it's what his films could be like if he'd stop f*cking around with sh*tty revenge stories. And Tarantinoish, seriously?

I wasn't really trying to argue with you. I very much liked Jackie Brown. Just kinda wanted to emphasize how it differs from Tarantino's usual style. That whole romance especially felt out of place for a Tarantino film. Wouldn't mind him making more films like it.

The Terminator

I thought you were an 80's fan.

MadHammerThorsteen

Anything by Wes Anderson is absurdly overrated. I liked Bottle Rocket. It was the one movie that had real soul in it. Everything after was over-stylized nonsense.

For the longest time, I used to get Wes Anderson mixed up with P.T. Anderson. Thank god I realized they were two different directors, because as far as I'm concerned, every P.T. Anderson film is god damn genius.

I started falling asleep like thirty minutes into Inherent Vice.

Mr. Scratch

Not the best movie if you've got ADHD. That's the whole charm of Vice, it's a slow burner.

Vik

Inherent Vice is awesome,slow,but awesome

Real_Badgirl

The Exorcist.

To this day, it's frequently cited as being the holy grail of horror movies, the best of the best of the best, the scariest movie ever made, ect.

To me, it is none of those things. I first watched The Exorcist when I was 14 and I found it to be incredibly boring. I watched it again at 22 or 23 when I was older and wiser. Guess what? I STILL thought it was boring. The stuff that the possessed girl does didn't scare me when I was 14, let alone now. She pees on the floor, masterbates with a crucifix and screams at people, "Let Jesus f*ck you!" True, it's a 12 year old girl who's doing these things, but they made me laugh instead of having the intended effect. The pea soup scene and the head rotation scene didn't scare me either.

Perhaps if I was religious I would have found it scary, but as it is, I felt the film was incredibly boring.

Horror classics such as Psycho, Halloween, Alien and The Thing deserve all the praise they get. The Exorcist? Nah.

Mr. Scratch

7BC.gif?4684

That in particular made me burst out in laughter.

Richard Power Colt

7BC.gif?4684

That in particular made me burst out in laughter.

The Exorcist.

To this day, it's frequently cited as being the holy grail of horror movies, the best of the best of the best, the scariest movie ever made, ect.

To me, it is none of those things. I first watched The Exorcist when I was 14 and I found it to be incredibly boring. I watched it again at 22 or 23 when I was older and wiser. Guess what? I STILL thought it was boring. The stuff that the possessed girl does didn't scare me when I was 14, let alone now. She pees on the floor, masterbates with a crucifix and screams at people, "Let Jesus f*ck you!" True, it's a 12 year old girl who's doing these things, but they made me laugh instead of having the intended effect. The pea soup scene and the head rotation scene didn't scare me either.

Perhaps if I was religious I would have found it scary, but as it is, I felt the film was incredibly boring.

Horror classics such as Psycho, Halloween, Alien and The Thing deserve all the praise they get. The Exorcist? Nah.

Never seen it, but all of that sounds way too ridiculous to be taken seriously. Kinda wanna watch it now.

Edited by GTAandStuff

Rebel Yell

Hmm... let's see.

I know that movie has a real seriously huge fanbase, and maybe it will be butthurt for someone but Sin City is the closest thing to the worst movie I've watched, and relatively the most overrated (it has been too pumped up around the Internet, and with the ratings, TBH). Probably the only thing I liked from the movie was the black-white (with only red and yellow colours getting mixed into) graphic atmopshere made. First, it was very cool and I think it had been a good part of the dark atmosphere the movie tried to give but as the time passes, it starts to tire eyes as hell, IMO, so it starts to lose most of the coolness it has. The story is another point. The story is not completely bad, but I think Sin City's story had been a real headache to adapt and watch in a movie. The whole movie is almost all about people getting killed in a grusome but sorta cartoonish way, and it's boring to watch to me. There were really good names in the cast: like Bruce Willis, Michael Madsen and Benicio Del Toro, I almost died from boredom when watching but I tried my best to finish it because of them three. I highly thought that these perfect three names were definitely wasted in the movie. After two hours ended and the movie was finished, I was like getting dragged out of water filled bathtub in which my head was put for a long time. I mean the cowgirl Jessica Alba and real beauty like Britanny Murphy are all cool but the movie was a big waste of time for me. "Sin City" might be a pretty cool concept for caricature but for a movie, I don't think so.

Scarface should be definitely mentioned if we talk about "overrated". I mean, yes, I've enjoyed the movie but to be honest, Scarface is a movie that is on the average point for me. The movie is good but I think it's way much over pumped up (maybe it has been really pushed and is getting pushed hard to be a popular culture element, that would be a reason and why the "Scarface syndrome" started being disturbing). The movie story actually has not much interesting to promise, it's bit of "redundant" I guess. I'm talking about a close-up to the story in general, of course there are unforgettable scenes like the infamous

scene. Yes, Al Pacino is a great actor and has done really good with Tony Montana but let's not just load all the movie's burden on him while someone starts to defend the movie for being labeled as "overrated" (I've experienced a similar discussion, that's why I am saying). If we look at the movie with a bigger objective, I just classify Scarface as a movie on the average point.

Napoleon Dynamite. I don't know, the all nerdy slob kid comedy that was tried to cut out didn't appeal me. And before watching, I've seen that the movie had taken much glory. For my interests, it's overrated.

The Shining. It's a good movie but I think it's way overrated. For me, it passes the bar for the average a little more. The main reason is that I think the duration of the movie was put too high. Getting stuck in front of that movie for almost two hours and a half honestly sometimes bored me as hell. Probably Kubrick tried to give every detail he could give from the book, but it's one of my strong ideas on the movie.

Like mentioned previously in the topic, Drive has gotta take a place in the list. I've watched the movie, if I have to honestly admit without getting bored even a little bit but if we look from the big picture, all the glory that movie has taken was way over much of that it actually deserved.

Oh... and Django Unchained for me. I'm a huge fan of Tarantino but I won't screw myself nor other people with telling that it's one of the greatest he has ever made. Out of a bit, I think Django Unchained is westerned version of Kill Bill in some ways. Also, Django was bit of a deified character, a big "might-be" annoying point of the movie. All respect for Christoph Waltz and his character, Dr. Schultz... the biggest part of the movie that makes the majority of the movie watchable without a boring stop. I'm not saying that the movie is bad, it was above the bar for average a little bit, but a huge number of people act like it's Tarantino's masterpiece, his "God work", almost putting it to the same level as Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction... which makes it pretty overrated for me.

Edited by TheUnholy

otachi

Most movies that got bashed a lot in the release and couldn't make much money and suddenly become the best movie ever.

John The Grudge

I think Christopher Nolan's Batman films are over rated. This is partly because I've grown cynical towards super hero films lately and partly because Nolan's efforts to make Batman's world more realistic has the unintended effect of making Batman himself look totally ridiculous. I think the animated series got the tone exactly right and the definitive Batman film has yet to be made. As it stands I'd vote for Tim Burton's films as the most superior live action Batman films.

I have highish hopes for Ben Affleck's Batman film but quite low expectations for Zack Snyder's upcoming Batman v Superman. I'd say Batman: The Mask of the Phantasm is the best Batman film I've seen and I hope Ben Affleck adopts a tone and style closer to that of the animated series.

John The Grudge

The Shining. It's a good movie but I think it's way overrated. For me, it passes the bar for the average a little more. The main reason is that I think the duration of the movie was put too high. Getting stuck in front of that movie for almost two hours and a half honestly sometimes bored me as hell. Probably Kubrick tried to give every detail he could give from the book, but it's one of my strong ideas on the movie.

My guess is you're talking about the US cut of the film. After it's US release Kubrick made some cuts that improve the film's pacing and reducing it's running time by over 20 minutes. There's no way to know which cut he preferred but perhaps try the International Cut. The UK release for example is the International Cut. I'm not saying it's better or worse but you may prefer it. The cuts made to the shorter one were requested by Kubrick himself so both versions could be considered director's cuts.

otachi

Fun fact (yes it's a goddamn fact):the movie the shining have clues about Kubrick was the one who directed the moon landing and he is getting punished if he tries to tell anyone the truth.

gunziness

Tarantino's movies in general are way, way too overrated IMO. I didnt see all of them and the ones I watched are decent (or great) but still, they are so overrated it hurts.

SonOfLiberty

The Exorcist.

Yes, but if you were a 14 year old in 1973 I doubt you would've been laughing at those particular scenes. I guess by today's standards some of the effects look cheesy however if you saw the movie in its day it would be very different.

The first time I saw The Exorcist was about 10 years ago and I have to admit it still gave me some chills and I'm far from being religious.

I wouldn't call it the scariest movie ever, but I could understand how people thought it was back in the 1970s.

Otter

I was going to say the same thing, Pulp. A great film is not necessarily a timeless film. That doesn't undermine ctricism but you should keep a film's release date in the back of your mind when you dive into it - it may enhance the experience.

Misunderstood

The Dark Knight Rises. I can't understand how anyone can watch this piece of sh*t movie and give it a 10/10 or something. It's the Godfather Part 3 of the Dark Knight Trilogy. Batman Begins is my favorite and Dark Knight is just as good but Rises has so many f*cking plotholes that pull me away from the movie. Bane turned out to be a sh*t villain and the secret villain shows up on screen for like 2 minutes and has the worse death scene I've ever seen. The ending of this movie is especially bad and as the third and last film of the trilogy, this is no excuse for the short amount of time we see batman on screen for.

Richard Power Colt

I was going to say the same thing, Pulp. A great film is not necessarily a timeless film. That doesn't undermine ctricism but you should keep a film's release date in the back of your mind when you dive into it - it may enhance the experience.

I watched Dirty Harry for the first time recently and I actually didn't know that it would contain all the possible renegade cop cliches you can think of. But to your point, it's probably the movie that created all those cliches so I can't really complain. I still enjoyed the movie, but maybe not as much as I wanted.

Woody112

The Dark Knight Rises. I can't understand how anyone can watch this piece of sh*t movie and give it a 10/10 or something. It's the Godfather Part 3 of the Dark Knight Trilogy. Batman Begins is my favorite and Dark Knight is just as good but Rises has so many f*cking plotholes that pull me away from the movie. Bane turned out to be a sh*t villain and the secret villain shows up on screen for like 2 minutes and has the worse death scene I've ever seen. The ending of this movie is especially bad and as the third and last film of the trilogy, this is no excuse for the short amount of time we see batman on screen for.

Agreed, expect I would extend this opinion to all superhero movies that take themselves even a slight bit seriously.

slimeball supreme

Forest Gump.

How the f*ck did that beat Pulp Fiction at the f*cking Academy Awards?

What the f*ck?

Mister Pinkerton

Forest Gump.

How the f*ck did that beat Pulp Fiction at the f*cking Academy Awards?

What the f*ck?

Because it's sentimental. Sentimentality always wins out in Hollywood

AshManGTA

Back to the Future

American Sniper

The Godfather

I just think all three of these, for me, were not as spectacular as people raved about.

Tikhung

I think Ferris Bueller's Day Off could easily be replaced by WarGames, a forgotten masterpiece in the list of classic 80s movies.

Edited by Tikhung

A8ul99

Last Action Hero.Lots of exaggeration on every scene.

wiizardii

Interstellar.

I don't really see something super special about it to be honest.

Zondar

Fight Club.

I generally enjoy Fincher's films, I think Ed Norton's a brilliant actor and usually like watching Brad Pitt when he stays within his fairly narrow acting range. (Which he does in FC)

However, this film , for whatever reason has just never clicked for me. Watched it a couple of times and just can't get into it at all.

Niko Montana

The Hunger Games. Good concept, but the movie was boring (IMO). The fact that it has been turned into a series with another film on the way surprises me.

Tikhung

Harold and Maude. After watching this movie I think I have a thing for old ladies...

Edited by Tikhung

IDredMan

This might not be a popular opinion.

But I could not, for the life of me, finish 2001 A Space Odyssey.

It was actively wasting my time. So many f*cking shots that had absolutely no content whatsoever would take 5-7 minutes. I'm not gonna sit there and watch 3 minutes of a space shuttle just moving and nothing else.

The evolution scene at the start was strangely satisfying... But everything else took so f*cking long to happen. I didn't wanna f*cking watch an astronaut run 3 laps around his cylindrical space ship. I didn't wanna watch an astronaut just fly a pod all the way across a ship that is 800,000,000 miles long only to get out of the pod and very very slowly fly over to a satellite. It did all it could to waste my time, and I couldn't watch it.

Richard Power Colt

This might not be a popular opinion.

But I could not, for the life of me, finish 2001 A Space Odyssey.

It was actively wasting my time. So many f*cking shots that had absolutely no content whatsoever would take 5-7 minutes. I'm not gonna sit there and watch 3 minutes of a space shuttle just moving and nothing else.

The evolution scene at the start was strangely satisfying... But everything else took so f*cking long to happen. I didn't wanna f*cking watch an astronaut run 3 laps around his cylindrical space ship. I didn't wanna watch an astronaut just fly a pod all the way across a ship that is 800,000,000 miles long only to get out of the pod and very very slowly fly over to a satellite. It did all it could to waste my time, and I couldn't watch it.

lol it's a slow-ass movie by today's standards for sure. But I'd suggest you watch it till the end, because the ending is pretty fascinating.

svanderman

The Hunger Games.

The books are amazing, but the movies really disappointed me. Although I actually prefer the third movie over the book, it's still my least favorite.