4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Rules Unclear

CrysisAverted

Go to solution Solved by Kirsty,

CrysisAverted

So I have a question regarding the advertisement of monetized user made videos being shared on this website by means of creating new topics on the most popular section. Basically anyone who starts their own threads to share their own videos on the GTA Online section has their thread locked or moved to either the video sharing topic or I assume the Editor Showcase or similar. But then there's that one user who can make a thread for sharing their creations while originally and blatantly claiming the purpose of that thread is for them to share only their videos and goes on to create a new thread for their individual creations even if they have nothing to do with GTA Online and would be better relegated to the "Editor Showcase" topic as one example. They may literally only come to this forum to make a new thread and advertise their monetized video yet when someone who uses this thread for than advertising wants to share a unmonetized video they created they get the boot. What justification are the mods using for this?

Let me know what you think :-)

Edited by CrysisAverted
  • Like 2

JOEsAGGRESSIVE

In my opinion that particular rule really needs to be explained into greater detail because as it stands its quite vague. Because a topic was made and posted in the suggestions section about a member showcasing his YouTube videos and that member was given the go ahead if he could put some thought into his initial post lol.

And then a point was brought up that it isn't advertising unless they provide a link and/or tell you to subscribe which is ridiculous because youtubers want the views and likes/subscribes are icing on the cake.(embedding your video is easier to get views than a link is anyways so that works in the youtubers favor)

Here's the topic I was referring to: http://gtaforums.com/topic/752475-i-want-to-start-a-filmmakers-thread-in-the-main-gta-v-forum/

PhillBellic

That's something that I wouldn't mind being Clarified as well. :)

Very curious also,it even says it in the forum rules

No Advertising Promoting your website, YouTube channel or other service such as referral links by posting topics or PMing members (signature promotion is allowed)

Is there some sort of bias or something,yet again,just curious :)

• Solution

It's very difficult to put into words because things like this are based much more on the context; advertising (on here) is a grey area.

For example, a member posts a video that is popular and well made and members are responding to it positively, some of these videos can even end up shared by Rockstar. My opinion is this isn't advertising, it's just a showcase of work.

In contrast a member who joined a day ago and posts a video with no information in the post or just a link to subscribe and is just a recording of gameplay or a rundown of features; they are here for one thing, to get clicks. That's advertising, and more often than not these members persistently post their videos over and over across multiple topics. Spamvertising isn't what these forums are made for.

In the middle of these examples, someone posts a video of something funny they did or whatever, they aren't trying to spam, they are just wanting to share a funny moment. That's all good, but in this regard it probably ends up in the shared video gallery topic, why? most likely because this is a discussion forum (duh) and if we allow every single video to have it's own individual topic, we'd basically be turning into something you're meant to use YouTube for.

Perhaps the line in the rules does need adjusting to make it clearer for people who do genuinely want to share their cool videos, which we never said is a bad thing, but a lot of it comes down to common sense and at the descretion of the staff member who comes across the topic. If you're unhappy with your video being merged into the gallery topic or locked, you can always query it with a staff member instead of blaming it on the rules and not thinking about why that action was taken.

fib_ufo_small.png

Personally I deal with it on a case-by-case basis. If someone creates a thread with a video they have clearly put a lot of effort into, like many Rockstar Editor creations out there, I will likely let it stay. If a user posts a thread with a video of say a money glitch, the course of action depends on if they included a text tutorial. In case they don't, I will ask them to add one for those that aren't interested in watching video tutorials - or I will lock it up if there is already a thread on said video.

Edit: Ninja'd. Pretty much what Kirsty said.

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 3

It's very difficult to put into words because things like this are based much more on the context; advertising (on here) is a grey area.

For example, a member posts a video that is popular and well made and members are responding to it positively, some of these videos can even end up shared by Rockstar. My opinion is this isn't advertising, it's just a showcase of work.

In contrast a member who joined a day ago and posts a video with no information in the post or just a link to subscribe and is just a recording of gameplay or a rundown of features; they are here for one thing, to get clicks. That's advertising, and more often than not these members persistently post their videos over and over across multiple topics. Spamvertising isn't what these forums are made for.

In the middle of these examples, someone posts a video of something funny they did or whatever, they aren't trying to spam, they are just wanting to share a funny moment. That's all good, but in this regard it probably ends up in the shared video gallery topic, why? most likely because this is a discussion forum (duh) and if we allow every single video to have it's own individual topic, we'd basically be turning into something you're meant to use YouTube for.

Perhaps the line in the rules does need adjusting to make it clearer for people who do genuinely want to share their cool videos, which we never said is a bad thing, but a lot of it comes down to common sense and at the descretion of the staff member who comes across the topic. If you're unhappy with your video being merged into the gallery topic or locked, you can always query it with a staff member instead of blaming it on the rules and not thinking about why that action was taken.

Personally I deal with it on a case-by-case basis. If someone creates a thread with a video they have clearly put a lot of effort into, like many Rockstar Editor creations out there, I will likely let it stay. If a user posts a thread with a video of say a money glitch, the course of action depends on if they included a text tutorial. In case they don't, I will ask them to add one for those that aren't interested in watching video tutorials - or I will lock it up if there is already a thread on said video.

Edit: Ninja'd. Pretty much what Kirsty said.

I wish I could like both of your posts(Maxed Like Quota For The Day),it cleared my thoughts up a bit,thank you :)