2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Why do some GTA protagonists complain about not having any money?

Batfleck

Example: CJ in the country side with Catalina... ''I need money.'' but really the money he has is quite a lot, like about 50 grand? depending on what the player has done of course.. and Michael in GTA V ''I don't have the money to buy you a car right now.'' *Has over 700 grand* (unless he was motivating Jimmy to get it for himself) and also ''Let's spend money to buy a tandem chopper, but we're broke.''

This happens quite a lot haven't you noticed? some protagonists complain about no money yet they have more than enough...maybe it's just a plot hole that's common.

American Viking

That's because what happens in gameplay and what happens in cutscenes are not really linked. It is stupid though.

What a joke.

I wouldn't pick CJ as an example. Niko fits more perfectly here.

Also, CJ really meant more money to give it to Truth as early as possible. Not for himself. Since he did mention that he has got enough money but for now he seriously needs to pay someone, since after The Green Sabre mission, CJ loses weapons and presumably, the officers take whatever money CJ had at that point in time, too.

He has to pay to the Truth but since he was working with Catalina already he wanted to pay him as early as possible at that point. He does pay to Truth later, too.

CJ: Yeah, that's cool. But we can also play for some real money. I got some money to... well, it's a long story, but I need some serious paper, fast.

So yeah, I call bullsh*t on your example. Doesn't make sense for CJ. Since, this is the only time ( if I remember correctly ) when CJ was seen saying he seriously needs MORE money, unlike Niko.

It's called Ludo narrative dissonance. It's when the story and the gameplay don't quite match up.

Shadowfennekin

I actually think it's funny. My Michael usually has 2.5-3 millionish at that point from the Heists and forced stock market mission. And Niko says they're broke after they get run out of Hove Beach yet he has about 15 k at that point and Roman even says he gambled all THEIR money away at one point only..... Niko still has his money(It would have been nice if Roman affected Niko's bank at points in the story like Michael's family does)

• Like 2

I actually think it's funny. My Michael usually has 2.5-3 millionish at that point from the Heists and forced stock market mission. And Niko says they're broke after they get run out of Hove Beach yet he has about 15 k at that point and Roman even says he gambled all THEIR money away at one point only..... Niko still has his money(It would have been nice if Roman affected Niko's bank at points in the story like Michael's family does)

I knew I forgot something! ''We're f*cked, we're broke and on the run.'' and yet he has so much money that we got him. xD

What a joke.

I wouldn't pick CJ as an example. Niko fits more perfectly here.

Also, CJ really meant more money to give it to Truth as early as possible. Not for himself. Since he did mention that he has got enough money but for now he seriously needs to pay someone, since after The Green Sabre mission, CJ loses weapons and presumably, the officers take whatever money CJ had at that point in time, too.

He has to pay to the Truth but since he was working with Catalina already he wanted to pay him as early as possible at that point. He does pay to Truth later, too.

CJ: Yeah, that's cool. But we can also play for some real money. I got some money to... well, it's a long story, but I need some serious paper, fast.

So yeah, I call bullsh*t on your example. Doesn't make sense for CJ. Since, this is the only time ( if I remember correctly ) when CJ was seen saying he seriously needs MORE money, unlike Niko.

Yeah, you're right now I look at it, it was a bad example...now that I just remembered the whole Niko business with money.

Edited by Detective_Vice90

Niko Montana

Example: CJ in the country side with Catalina... ''I need money.'' but really the money he has is quite a lot, like about 50 grand? depending on what the player has done of course.. and Michael in GTA V ''I don't have the money to buy you a car right now.'' *Has over 700 grand* (unless he was motivating Jimmy to get it for himself) and also ''Let's spend money to buy a tandem chopper, but we're broke.''

This happens quite a lot haven't you noticed? some protagonists complain about no money yet they have more than enough...maybe it's just a plot hole that's common.

It's probably because what happens in the gameplay doesn't effect the story and vice versa. Either that or they don't want to spend money.

Edited by thedriver111

Niko can buy so much things with his money that maybe he wanted to accumulate more money to buy some useful things, out of sarcasm, in IV money is unuseful so I can understand why Niko is always looking for the green ;).

Algonquin Assassin

And Niko says they're broke after they get run out of Hove Beach yet he has about 15 k at that point

I just completed Roman's Sorrow on my current save, but every time I get to that point of the story I make sure I blow all the cash prior on weapons and such so it makes some sense at least. My Niko was so broke he could barely afford the toll fee to get to Bohan. ;)

Actually I took Roman bowling not long after and I only had $9 so I had to roll someone for a few dollars more lol, but yeah with GTA IV anyway I think Roman should've physically taken money to tie in with his gambling habits. Like how Michael's family takes money away as you said.

• Like 2

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

American Viking

And Niko says they're broke after they get run out of Hove Beach yet he has about 15 k at that point

I just completed Roman's Sorrow on my current save, but every time I get to that point of the story I make sure I blow all the cash prior on weapons and such so it makes some sense at least.

Now THAT is commitment.

PhillBellic

I just completed Roman's Sorrow on my current save, but every time I get to that point of the story I make sure I blow all the cash prior on weapons and such so it makes some sense at least.

Now THAT is commitment.

I simply deduct any Money via SNT. :)

Algonquin Assassin

Now THAT is commitment.

Not really. Niko really doesn't get that much money in the beginning. It's pretty easy to go broke if you keep buying weapons since they're so expensive. Usually more expensive than what he earns. It's from Three Leaf Clover onwards where the money starts to pile up. Well that's what I find anyway.

American Viking

Now THAT is commitment.

Not really. Niko really doesn't get that much money in the beginning. It's pretty easy to go broke if you keep buying weapons since they're so expensive. Usually more expensive than what he earns. It's from Three Leaf Clover onwards where the money starts to pile up. Well that's what I find anyway.

It's still great commitment to the integrity of the story. I'm quite sure the majority of folks don't do squat to help sinc story with gameplay.

• Like 1

Algonquin Assassin

It's still great commitment to the integrity of the story. I'm quite sure the majority of folks don't do squat to help sinc story with gameplay.

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff. :blush::cool:

• Like 2

PhillBellic

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff. :blush::cool:

Would you purchase any Bleeder Burgers in the Process?