3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Does anybody else feel like games are doing it for them less and less

TheMadHammer

TheMadHammer

Don't get me wrong--I'm not here to whine that "video games suck". Quite the opposite, I know they don't. I have a few games I still play and enjoy, but they just don't seem to reel me in like they used to. I wouldn't say I'm burned out, either. It's been a while, due to school and work, since I've even really had a substantial amount of playtime. But when I do sit down to play, I usually put it down after an hour or less, or my mind wanders while I'm playing something, even if it's supposed to be a really engrossing game. Could just be me. Discuss.

I get what you mean, and I think it's a good thing. As we grow older some of us start realizing that video games aren't everything and that there's more to life than just video games compared to when we are kids.

I still play a lot, but my hours are definitely going down as the years go by.

I get what you mean, and I think it's a good thing. As we grow older some of us start realizing that video games aren't everything and that there's more to life than just video games compared to when we are kids.

I still play a lot, but my hours are definitely going down as the years go by.

Lol I went from 5 hours of gaming to 1 hour of gaming the majority of the time.

Oh yeah man I've been there many times. After an hour or so of playing i say to myself should i keep playing or stop?...i know i used to play a lot when i was younger compared to now. For example when i used to play gta sa on the Ps2 and some other games i remember i would just play non-stop. Now in days it's like meh..An hour is enough.

Edited by GTA_The_Series

Algonquin Assassin

Meh. I find my interest in games tends to sway. Sometimes I'll go for months and rarely fire up my XB1, PS3, 360 etc and other times I'll play them for days. However there are very few games now that I find interesting enough to play through multiple times.

Maybe once, but it has to really draw me in to play again.

• Like 4

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

These days, I primarily enjoy games when I'm playing co-operatively, whether it be GTAO, Destiny PvE, etc...

When playing alone, I simply can't immerse myself for extended periods anymore. I'm addicted to social gaming.

As I've grown older, I've become more habitual and picky about the games I play because of time constraints. Back in the day, it was much easier to just go to Blockbuster, rent any game, and then determine whether or not the game was worth my time and money. Today, every game you buy is a gamble. Not just because games are full of bugs and DLC these day, but because there's so many new genres and gameplay styles to choose from.

I usually find one game that I like, devote the majority of my time to it, and if something else comes along that captures my attention, I will shift gears to that. For a long time, COD was my go-to game. It was predictable and satisfying for me, but that has since switched over to GTA. If I'm not playing something else, I'm playing GTA.

I received Assassin's Creed Unity for free, I've tried to continue playing it, but I just find it very uninteresting. Maybe it's the story? Then there's Sunset Overdrive. Sure it was fun for a few days, and then it was like, "so what's the point of this game?" Then I bought Watch Dogs, but I found the story to be a bit dull. Then again, maybe I just need to play the game a bit more. It just reminded me of a modern-day AC with 10 million side-missions on the map. I'm just sitting there looking at the map and asking myself, "who has time to do all of this sh*t?" Then there's Mortal Kombat X. I love the game, and because it's also a franchise I grew up with, I purchased it. But again, I've felt a bit unsatisfied with it. It doesn't seem to have much replay value.

Well, thank gawd for Arkham Knight. Finally, a game that has kept me interested. I've been playing this game non-stop when I have time to play. With Batman, I don't feel like I'm being bombarded with 10 million side-missions, and 10 million new game mechanics. I find it very easy to learn as a casual gamer, and the gameplay is incredibly fluid. There's never any loading screens, and when you die, you instantly come back to life. Everything I normally seem to ignore in other games has been unfolding in front of me as a I play each mission. The game is basically guiding me through it, and I don't feel like I'm spending wasteful amounts of hours searching for stupid things. I'm more interested in the story, not whether someone's getting pick-pocketed on the streets of Paris in AC. f*ck that, I always ignore that crap. I just don't have time for it!

I guess because there's such little time to play as you get older, you begin to realize you can't really dedicate a decent amount of times to games anymore, and thus, what you choose to play becomes more important. Overly complex games are a headache for me now. Sorry if I now sound like a casual noob, but it's just part of growing up.

Edited by X S

HaythamKenway

Meh. I find my interest in games tends to sway. Sometimes I'll go for months and rarely fire up my XB1, PS3, 360 etc and other times I'll play them for days. However there are very few games now that I find interesting enough to play through multiple times.

Maybe once, but it has to really draw me in to play again.

This.

I suppose you're just burned out, OP. Try finding some new games to play (not necessarily brand new, just check out your backlog) or dig up old favorites you haven't played in years. Or just wait it out, that desire to play video game should come back eventually. You said you're pretty busy with real life stuff, so that contributes to the exhaustion too. When you don't have as much time to dedicate yourself to games as before, it's harder for them to capture you.

I was in the same position as you last year and early this year. No game did it for me and I spend most of my free time watching movies and reading instead. I was incredibly pessimistic about the state of gaming industry and games themselves. But in the end, it turned around and games entertain me again. Just give it time.

@X S

What I find pretty funny about the Ubisoft Sandbox TemplateTM is that I eat that thing up in AC, like there's no tomorrow. I run around, collect chests, tackle thieves and work my way through side missions and I have loads of fun doing all that. But couldn't bring myself to even finish either Watch Dogs or Far Cry, even though they are pretty much the same thing.

I guess because there's such little time to play as you get older, you begin to realize you can't really dedicate a decent amount of times to games anymore, and thus, what you choose to play becomes more important. Overly complex games are a headache for me now. Sorry if I now sound like a casual noob, but it's just part of growing up.

This, too. If I met my younger me, he'd probably call me a casual. I just can't dedicate myself to long games anymore. That's why I dropped GTA Online, even though I found it surprisingly enjoyable. That game is just an absurd time sink.

Edited by HaythamKenway

Presidential

I find that the type of games I'm playing or the games I play change too often to play them like I used to. Back in the day, I'd pick one game and replay it until everything about it was like clockwork. Nowadays? I'd love to find a game with replayability.

Ha, I remember playing Ratchet and Clank and GTA: San Andreas with my cousins for 10 hours straight; I have no idea how we did it. Now, I usually play games in bursts: 30 minutes with this game, then jump over to another game. I rarely play games for more than an hour or so, although I did play Skyrim for 4 hours straight recently. It felt great to play a game for so long, funny enough; I kinda felt like a little kid again.

• Like 2

I definitely don't play as much or as often as I used to in my teens/early 20s because life, and when I play it's only for about an hour a day max. Very few games interest me these days though and I go for months without playing anything. Last game I played was GTAV, and I can totally see myself not touching my pc again until Fallout 4 gets here. In the last two years I've probably bought, what... 6 or 7 games?

Gaming just isn't a very big part of my life anymore.

The only games I really play nowadays are RPGs or other open world games where I can just go do my own thing at my own pace, but that doesn't mean I can't still enjoy a good, more linear gem like Tomb Raider, Alien, Splinter Cell etc.

Edited by W2B

utf-8Bb2xkc2Nob29sc2lnczE2YS5qcGc_zpsf59

It's not just you. It seems to be on par with people growing older. Other things start to take priority. I've definitely noticed this with myself over the last few years.

When I was younger, I used to be able to sit and just put hours away into a game. If it was a really good game, sometimes right until I went to bed. I used to play pretty much everything from open world games to more linear games.

Now I've noticed I rarely, if ever, play linear games. I need that open world to keep me interested. Even then, I may only put an hour or two into a game before I start to feel burned out or something comes up that takes priority over playing a game. However, when great games like Witcher 3, GTA, Fallout come out it's the rare times I can sit and once again, put hours away into a game.

After pre-ordering Fallout 4, I got the urge to replay New Vegas. Over the past week, I have put so many hours into that game. I played it for the better part of the day yesterday because I had the whole day to myself. I'll be moving on to Fallout 3 soon.

I don't really see anything keeping me as engrossed as Witcher 3 had me until Fallout 4. Even then, I've noticed that this usually happens to me for a few days (or weeks if it's a particularly good and feature-filled game) where I can sit and play a game for hours. This eventually wears off and I may sink a few hours each day into it, or go entire days without playing.

Intel i5-4590 3.3GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | MSI Z97 G-45
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD and Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Audioengine A2 Speakers
Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire | Corsair M65 Mouse | Fractal Design R5 Case | EVGA G2 850W
Audio-Technica M50x Headphones and Sennheiser HD 558 | LG 34UC88 1440p Ultrawide Curved Monitor

Now I've noticed I rarely, if ever, play linear games. I need that open world to keep me interested. Even then, I may only put an hour or two into a game before I start to feel burned out or something comes up that takes priority over playing a game. However, when great games like Witcher 3, GTA, Fallout come out it's the rare times I can sit and once again, put hours away into a game.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly. Exceptions like TW3 aside, even now I have had the time thanks to things slowing down and a relatively empty agenda, I can't get myself to play for any extended period of time, it just get stale quickly. Find myself rather picking up a good book and reading that.

– overeducated wonk who fetishises compromise

I've found the older I get the less free time I seem to have. With work, college, social life around that. If its been a long day at work the last thing on my mind is to sit in front of my PC and play games. I just like getting into bed to watch TV and unwind. The free time I do get at the weekends is limited too with doing some other stuff. So by the time I want to play games its too late in the evening. Not to mention, with my sleep pattern being so boring due to work (up by 6am, asleep by 9pm) come friday/saturday night I'm tired as hell so I don't want to play.

Another issue I have is I've bought a lot of games on Steam that I've never actually finished a lot of them. I kind of yoyo with games on Steam and before I've put any time into a game, I've already bought another and started playing that then move onto the next. I should really dedicate some time over the summer to play the games I do have. For instance I'd really like to finish Witcher 3 but that's ALOT of game hours. I'd also like to play Batman Origins that I've got among other games. But its about finding the time to play them.

Another issue I have is I've bought a lot of games on Steam that I've never actually finished a lot of them. I kind of yoyo with games on Steam and before I've put any time into a game, I've already bought another and started playing that then move onto the next.

I have the same exact problem, except that I do it on console. I was so eager to buy new games, and before I knew it, I had like 5 or 6 unfinished games to complete.

>Has this happened to you? I'm worried

>Anyone else starting to get bored of video games

Well, In my case, I have found when you are busy in the work, and focused upon exam preps., then it can get difficult to spend more time gaming after a while, as.. that's quite natural.

More responsibilities, and aspirations in life, cut the gaming hours shorter, and shorter, eventually!

But I still play games', only my most fav. ones, so I can still make out enough time towards replaying them. Getting bored, and losing interest fast seems a lot common for me when it comes to AAA games. They suck! Yuck. Typical modern repetitive been here, done that, crap!

They are nothing compared to amazing older titles that have a unique charm and immersive quality to easily freshen my mood. None of those blocky textures nor dated qualities hamper my experience to ever get bored with them. Plus, you have terrific mods to spice things up with so much variety on offer, esp. Old RPGs', FPS titles and standalone conversions.

Creed Bratton

No. My taste in games may have become more refined over the years. It's the same with movies, TV shows and books. I used to be able to watch and read just about anything. But once you get a taste of the good stuff, you tend become more selective. There are still a ton of games out there that qualify.

Dutch Psycho

I follow gamenews everyday and i'm still hyped for certain games but when the game finally arrives and play it for several hours with a big smile on my face,after that i'm suddenly bored with the game while i'm just a couple hours in.

When i was younger i played hours and hours everyday,replayed games over and over again. I bought at least 2 games per month but now it's been all reduced to 1 game per 3 months and a couple hours of playtime per week.

It's really weird though sometimes i really want to play games but somehow i don't have the urge to play them.

Edited by Dutch Psycho
  • Like 1

The only game I've really got into this year has been Dying Light. I've played a few other games but they haven't kept me interested for very long. I don't know if I'm becoming more fussy as I get older, I'll know when Fallout 4 comes out.

I'm follow gamenews everyday and i'm still hyped for certain games but when the game finally arrives and play it for several hours with a big smile on my face,after that i'm suddenly bored with the game while i'm just a couple hours in.

When i was younger i played hours and hours everyday,replayed games over and over again. I bought at least 2 games per month but now it's been all reduced to 1 game per 3 months and a couple hours of playtime per week.

It's really weird though sometimes i really want to play games but somehow i don't have the urge to play them.

It's EXACTLY the same for me, it is like you have spoken for me.

I follow gaming news EVERY single day ... I'm super hyped for quite a few games every year and can't wait to play them (especially games from R*), but when I finally get to play them I lose interest in them very fast - I'd say it all started after I finished Max Payne 3 somehow ... I was so so so excited for GTAV but never got into this game. The last game I really enjoyed was Red Dead Redemption, I played it for over 300 hours.

Niko Montana

I think like that for NEWER games. I'm just not as excited for new games after GTA V and Watch Dogs flopped (IMO). Take it back 5,4 or even 2 years ago, I was following all the gaming news, but now I'm not. I still play games from the last gen era (Xbox 360,PS3), and prefer them over whats hot today. I don't know the exact reason, but gaming isn't doing it too much for me anymore.

Dutch Psycho

I'm follow gamenews everyday and i'm still hyped for certain games but when the game finally arrives and play it for several hours with a big smile on my face,after that i'm suddenly bored with the game while i'm just a couple hours in.

It's EXACTLY the same for me, it is like you have spoken for me.

I follow gaming news EVERY single day ... I'm super hyped for quite a few games every year and can't wait to play them (especially games from R*), but when I finally get to play them I lose interest in them very fast - I'd say it all started after I finished Max Payne 3 somehow ... I was so so so excited for GTAV but never got into this game. The last game I really enjoyed was Red Dead Redemption, I played it for over 300 hours.

Luckily i'm not that hyped anymore as i was for GTA V. That hype was a f*cking sickness. And yes like you i never got into that game too(because of the hype).

My next favourite franchise is fallout and hopefully FO 4 keeps me busy for atleast 100 hours.

It also helps that bethesda knows when you announce a game. WHEN IT'S ALMOST FINISHED! And not announcing years and years before release. Right rockstar?

Edited by Dutch Psycho

This question/topic has been around forever. It shows up like clockwork.

I've been playing video games since they were invented. sh*t comes and goes. You'll take a few years off from games...you know...go live a real life with stuff like friends, parties, sex, and stuff.

Shadowfennekin

I play at least a hour or two a day usually no matter what. The games I love are stress relievers.

Whenever a new game is revealed for a series I play I'm usually on a binge playthough. Like when GTA V was coming, I dusted off all the past ones and played through them.

When Saints Row Gat out of Hell got revealed, I played Saints Row again(Surprise right?)
When Pokemon ORAS got revealed, I went back and played the original versions

When Fallout 4 got revealed, I grabbed New Vegas and started a new playthrough.

• Like 1

John The Grudge

I enjoy video games as they can provide a good escape and are good at killing time. Occasionally one comes along that really captures my imagination but for the most part I think television and film are superior forms of entertainment. I can definitely say that as I get older I'm becoming more indifferent towards video games.

Candy_Licker

Partly yes, partly no.

There are certainly less and less games that still appeal to me, but if there is one, I still can get very committed to it. But I'm not the guy who could binge play a game for 6 hours straight regardless of time.

I started playing Silent storm after such a long time and spend around 4 hours straight, it was damn fun!

Worth the time. Such great games can really consume a good deal of time easily and you have to force yourselves to not get addicted into playing them non-stop, days and weeks.

esmittystud101

OP: I kinda had the same fealing for a while when I was playing Xbox 360. I mean GTA V was out, I was still playing Bioshock Infinate as well. I just didn't have a great drive to get on anymore. I mean GTA V on 360 was okay, but it just wasn't there for me either. So, I ran out and got an Xbox One on release date, then there after I got a PS4. My drive was back again. It really showed when I got Bloodborne. I don't know what it is with that game but it just made me more hungry. Last night I just finished Dying Light, I might try and finish Far Cry 4 tonight, well just the Yeti DLC, I already beat the story and side quests with the main game. I do have to go back and beat Ryse: Son of Rome as well, and The Evil Within. So this alone keeps my drive in tact.

Funny because I've become somewhat opposite. I like the rigidly structured stuff that is written and paced well. The only time I can stand open world games is when it is an exceptional game like Dark Souls or F:NV (both probably tied for my favorite games of the last gen). I have sort of moved to the point where I find it's more enjoyable for me to pay $5 or $10 on a quaint little title on steam and play it for 4-9 hours before moving on. It allows me to get some sort of rhythm of story and a whole experience that someone was trying to get out there. As well as that, I can say I'm actually done with them. I absolutely hate the completion-fest that most open-world games are. That's just me, though.

• Like 2

kzgN7qp.png