3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Will GTA V be remembered down the line?

Jimmytruckerr

196 members have voted

1. 1. Will GTA V be remembered down the line?

• Yes.
    • No, V isn't anything special.
    • Can't say.

Jimmytruckerr

This has been bugging me for quite some time.

I remember walking into a neighbourhood game store in October last year. The place was packed.

And guess what?

People were literally screaming for a copy of San Andreas. It was the tenth anniversary, and people wanted a copy before it went off the shelves forever in that store.

Another cool thing: A post by The Rock on Facebook, announcing his new movie, San Andreas. And the comments were filled with: "Hey, Rock, you're gonna be CJ?" and "Who's playing Tenpenny?". Besides that, a lot of 'The damn train' memes.

So this set me thinking: 'Man, this is amazing. The popularity of this game after ten years. How the fans rever it as a lengendary thing'.

That brought me to think about GTA V. Will it be held as high, ten years down the line?

Personally, I don't think so. Because when SA came out, it was magical. It exceeded expectations and blew minds. I don't think I need to write why.

With V, it's a different scenario. The game was hyped up as hell, and then it came. Record sales and all.....but it seems to lack something. And considering the fact that more than 70% of the people who bought V have moved on to Online, it's hard to believe that V will be praised as high as SA ten years down the line.

All I can see is that Online will be bigger than ever and will be praised by its fans.

What do you think?

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 2

Oh course it will be remembered, it's millions of gamers first gta ever, and had scored a lot of selling records, and was one of the most highly anticipated games in history.

And please calm the hell down fans of SA and IV (not you OP).

Edited by SuperGTFan

The Dedito Gae

Oh course it will be remembered, it's millions of gamers first gta ever, and had scored a lot of selling records.

yep, pretty much this.

every gta is memorable in his own way, i still remember VC because it was my first gta, and that was the case with many other people and V,i'm sure thousands of people will remember fondly in the future just as VC, IV or SA.

also, inb4 SA+IV vs V.

Edited by Midnight Hitman
  • Like 3

Fuzzknuckles

It'll be remembered for the records it set, the innovations it brought to games of this kind and for dividing the audience more than any GTA game before it.

• Like 3
Signatures are dumb anyway.

happygrowls

The 3rd 4th* best selling game of all time has already gone down in History. It will be remembered all right.

Edited by Epic.

The Dedito Gae

It'll be remembered ...for dividing the audience more than any GTA game before it.

i think IV was more hated as his premiere and divided the audience much more than V, after all, IV and TLAD feel like the outsiders in the saga,not V.
  • Like 5

Yeah..V will be widely regarded for its Online roots than SP.

Just today I saw a new player who directly jumped to Online w/o even trying SP.

Personally, I think V is a black mark and a shame for the series' that I used to see both the game and Rockstar with great respect. V just broke that years long attachment within months.

So, as far as I am concerned, I don't and never, ever miss V, at all.

3D era classics will STILL be remembered and continue decades later, as the best games of all time, simply because Rockstar has moved on to ( as Sam houser said ) adopt MMO subscription model, as the "golden-goal kind of thing", thus happy days for Online fangirls have begun, while the days of once, great single player times are done. Game over!!

Algonquin Assassin

I agree it'll be remembered for setting sales records and whatnot, but that doesn't speak for the game itself.

I doubt Michael, Trevor, and Franklin will have the status among GTA fans that Niko, CJ, Tommy etc do 10 years from now.

IMO it'll most likely be remembered for making R* a heap of money and GTAO.

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

PhillBellic

I doubt Michael, Trevor, and Franklin will have the status among GTA fans that Niko, CJ, Tommy etc do 10 years from now.

Same here. They don't have the same attachment for me, as Niko, Johnny, Victor, et al. :)

happygrowls

Alot of people seem to favour Trevor, so I think he'll be remembered the most out of the three.

PhillBellic

Alot of people seem to favour Trevor, so I think he'll be remembered the most out of the three.

I feel for all the wrong reasons however. Thoughts?

Jimmytruckerr

I agree it'll be remembered for setting sales records and whatnot, but that doesn't speak for the game itself.

IMO it'll most likely be remembered for making R* a heap of money and GTAO.

I see that you're a mod. Could you please add a poll to the topic? I've tried a lot but it isn't appearing.

The poll should have two options:

1. Yes.

2. No, V isn't anything special.

Edited by Jimmytruckerr

happygrowls

I feel for all the wrong reasons however. Thoughts?

I think alot of people just remember him the most because of the fact he's the first truly psychotic protag, alot of people hate him because of the "incident" so it's gonna be divided when people say why they like/dislike Trevor.

The Dedito Gae

... alot of people hate him because of the "incident"..

and because he's lazily written, but Michael and Trevor will be remembered ad much as Niko and CJ, for different reasons or tastes. Edited by Midnight Hitman

CarlitoDorito

I don't see why not. It may be played for a few more years, although people play things they hate now so remembered more negatively than positively on forums maybe.

I can still remember GTA 3 and Claude. A no personality character, so I think I can remember the characters for quite a while. The game too as I found it fun.

Edited by CarlitoDorito

Nah nah nah Gta 6

GTA V will be remembered for a long time, GTA IV came out 7 years ago and the community is still going strong, same goes for San andreas and Vice city.

However NONE of the games will be remembered as much as GTA 3.

PhillBellic

GTA V will be remembered for a long time, GTA IV came out 7 years ago and the community is still going strong, same goes for San andreas and Vice city.

What about GTA, and GTa2?

Fuzzknuckles

I still fondly remember opening up GTA on release day and playing it until 5 am.

Oh to be young and unemployed again.

Signatures are dumb anyway.

Nah nah nah Gta 6

As much as I love those games and I want them to be remembered, GTA 1 & 2 are criminally underated compared to the rest of the series and nobody remembers them as much as 3/VC/SA/IV/V

Sure people like myself still play them but if you went back to the early 2000's, everyone would be talking about GTA 3 without even thinking out GTA 1 or 2.

PhillBellic

As much as I love those games and I want them to be remembered, GTA 1 & 2 are criminally underated compared to the rest of the series and nobody remembers them as much as 3/VC/SA/IV/V

Sure people like myself still play them but if you went back to the early 2000's, everyone would be talking about GTA 3 without even thinking out GTA 1 or 2.

Or LCS, or VCS for the matter, either. :/

• Like 1

thafablifee46

I think it will for introducing the online experience but I also hope its used as a example for future gtas to not be. So yes, I think it will be remembered for something lol

I think gta III ( SA maybe too ) and gta V are the most memorable gta games because they had impact and sold great

The rest would be

IV > VC > Stories > EFLC > Top down

Edited by emiliumium

7 Guinness World Records:

Best-selling action adventure videogame in 24 hours

Best-selling videogame in 24 hours

Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion

Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion

Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours

Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours

Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame

Best-selling PS3 game of all time

Second best-selling XBox 360 game of all time behind Kinect Adventures

Currently best-selling PS4 game and third best-selling XBox One game according to VGChartz

Sold more than 50 million copies in total making it the fourth best-selling videogame of all time

Average rating of 97/100 on both Metacritic and GameRankings, several Game Of The Year awards and it's considered as one of the best games of consoles seventh generation. The game is also considered as a technical masterpiece on last gen, it's a miracle that the game runs so well on those now almost 10 year old consoles.

GTA V is probably the videogame with the most media coverage ever and probably also the most advertised game of all time. It's also the first GTA that gained the protagonists actors so much fame that they even ended up doing a panel at NY Comic Con and Comkaze.

None of the past GTA's had anything like this. So yeah, this game will be remembered in the future, there's no doubt about it.

Didn't Niko's voice actor Hollick appeared in Comic-Con after IV release?

Edited by SuperGTFan

VCS > ALL

VCS is a cocktail of features itself, which borrows heavily from VC and SA. Apart from melee combat, I don't find much that makes it so appealing to be called as better than ALL, in qualities of VC and SA, esp. when the storytelling has been reviewed as one of the weakest.

So...VCS < ALL

Edited by Osho

VCS > ALL

VCS is a cocktail of features itself, which borrows heavily from VC and SA. Apart from melee combat, I don't find much that makes it so appealing to be called as better than ALL, in qualities of VC and SA, esp. when the storytelling has been reviewed as one of the weakest.

So...VCS < ALL

Great soundtrack,great story,the first "dark" story with no happy ending,your girlfriend dies in your hands and then you go kill some guys,a lot of new things VC or SA didnt have,not gonna list them,and it's the best in my opinion,so say whatever you want.

Anyway all GTA games are good.

• Like 2

PhillBellic

VCS > ALL

So...VCS < ALL

Great soundtrack,great story,the first "dark" story with no happy ending,your girlfriend dies in your hands and then you go kill some guys,a lot of new things VC or SA didnt have,not gonna list them,and it's the best in my opinion,so say whatever you want.

VCS certainly ended in a Pyrrhic Victory.

• Like 2