2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Is 30 fps smooth in pc as smooth as in console?

Seemly

Soooo I used to play this game on xbox 360 (PC retail version should come tomorrow for me) and I was wondering, consoles run the game at 30 fps right? (Correct me If I am wrong) I have noticed they are very smooth. as if they were 60 fps, does that work the same on PC? because I have never really noticed that much.

MarshallRawR

That's because you're far from the screen, and in the settings, they probably have some motion blur turned on to fake

the feel of a smooth image.

Technically, 30FPS won't feel more smoother on PC if you play in the same conditions, but you will have more advantages

such as a persistant framerate (consoles drop below 30FPS) and a higher quality game.
Of course, it all depends on the PC you want to play on, and if you can, you'd better off playing at 60FPS.

What you might be seeing is your TV's interpolation technology. Newer TVs do it very well and make 24fps film look very slick and smooth and easy on the eye. The downside to this is it creates input lag. 30fps on a monitor doesn't have this same feature and looks like sh*t, but will be more responsive to user input.

Edited by EvilDog77

The best framerate IMO is locked 45 fps (if you cant obtain constant 60 fps of course).

If you want to play in 30 fps, put motion blur to max and hook up your PC to a FullHD TV and play from a distance (with a gamepad of course) = smooth!

I have the PS3 and PC versions and I'm positive that the PS3/360 versions hardly ever ran the game at 30fps. It could reach that target at times but it was usually in the 20~26 area and it wasn't uncommon for it to dip below the 20fps mark at times when sh*t hit the fan.

PS4/X1 versions are locked at 30fps more or less, with dips at times but it stays at 30fps most of the time (especially on PS4) which is why it feels so much more smoother.

On PC, it depends on your monitor as well as how stable your 30fps is. If you're getting a sustained 30fps with no dips and no variances (i.e. the fps isn't locked at 30 so it goes above 30 but rapidly comes back to it, etc.) then yes, it will be very smooth indeed. Smoother if you don't have V-sync enabled but lock the framerate manually as well, since V-sync tends to induce input lag sometimes.

NYgangster25

I have the PS3 and PC versions and I'm positive that the PS3/360 versions hardly ever ran the game at 30fps. It could reach that target at times but it was usually in the 20~26 area and it wasn't uncommon for it to dip below the 20fps mark at times when sh*t hit the fan.

PS4/X1 versions are locked at 30fps more or less, with dips at times but it stays at 30fps most of the time (especially on PS4) which is why it feels so much more smoother.

On PC, it depends on your monitor as well as how stable your 30fps is. If you're getting a sustained 30fps with no dips and no variances (i.e. the fps isn't locked at 30 so it goes above 30 but rapidly comes back to it, etc.) then yes, it will be very smooth indeed. Smoother if you don't have V-sync enabled but lock the framerate manually as well, since V-sync tends to induce input lag sometimes.

but if i lock it manually, it stutters like sh*t.

ClareXoBearrx3R9

Who plays at 30fps on PC??

people not as rich as you.

This.

Some people also feel that anything above 60 feels unrealistic.

I personally play at 15-20 FPS due to not having a dedicated GPU.

Either way, to each their own.

• Like 2

The reason I asked this question because my laptop might not be able to reach 60 fps. maybe on low settings, but I am pretty sure it will only reach 25-40 fps on medium-high. and I wanted it to just look like the xbox atleast (Not in graphics but in fps system)

What you might be seeing is your TV's interpolation technology. Newer TVs do it very well and make 24fps film look very slick and smooth and easy on the eye. The downside to this is it creates input lag. 30fps on a monitor doesn't have this same feature and looks like sh*t, but will be more responsive to user input.

Well that explains it.

I tried setting my Vsync to "Half" earlier, see what the 30FPS felt like - and it was nothing like on the PS3. As a matter of fact, it didn't even feel like GTA III, VC, or SA (I always keep those capped at 30 so the physics don't get f*cked), it just felt awful and choppy.

Well that explains it.

I tried setting my Vsync to "Half" earlier, see what the 30FPS felt like - and it was nothing like on the PS3. As a matter of fact, it didn't even feel like GTA III, VC, or SA (I always keep those capped at 30 so the physics don't get f*cked), it just felt awful and choppy.

No no no, it's not due to interpolation. 30 FPS on consoles felt rather smooth compared to PC because of their frame pacing. At 30 FPS most of its frames are rendered at a fixed 33.3 ms.

30 FPS on PC is rather choppy because the frame time is jumpy. Some frames are rendered at 20 ms, some at 40 ms, or even 100 ms.

EDIT: The easy explanation is, consoles 30 FPS usually sends a new frame every 2 refresh cycle on a 60 Hz display, leading to a smoother motion. PC 30 FPS usually sends a new frame erratically, some at 1 refresh (effective 60 FPS), 3 refresh (effective 20 FPS), or even 4 refresh.

Edited by Kampret
  • Like 3

People who don't have the money to drop into a fancy-pants PC like your own.

• Like 4

Kaito Katsumi

30 FPS looks worse on PC because of screen tearing.

screen tearing is reduced and avoided with Vsync.

southparkmayor

not you again. Not everyone can afford two 980ti and an i7.

• Like 2

not you again. Not everyone can afford two 980ti and an i7.

He's a troll and silly yes, but you don't need i7 and 2 980ti to run game at 60fps.

The 60fps is a classical good fps limit in pc gaming. At least in last 6-7 years now.

The reason I asked this question because my laptop might not be able to reach 60 fps. maybe on low settings, but I am pretty sure it will only reach 25-40 fps on medium-high. and I wanted it to just look like the xbox atleast (Not in graphics but in fps system)

What are your laptop specs?

Soooo I used to play this game on xbox 360 (PC retail version should come tomorrow for me) and I was wondering, consoles run the game at 30 fps right? (Correct me If I am wrong) I have noticed they are very smooth. as if they were 60 fps, does that work the same on PC? because I have never really noticed that much.

I play the GTA V on PS3 and PC (in PC locked at 30fps) in the same monitor, and the PS3 version is less smoother than the PC version locked at 30fps, but still playable. So I think that the PS3 version doesn't reach the 30fps.

Me, for example.

I prefer play at 30fps with all settings to max, rather than play with 60fps and see the game like a game of "PS2".

Well, I prefer 120fps and 4K and all settings to max, but.... I dont have a rig enough powerful.

At least, 30fps is enough for me.

• Like 2

sampandmtafan

Don't forget, that you play on your pad on the console, meanwhile PC users mostly use keyboard and mouse. Pads are much more smoother, especially in camera movements.

Kaito Katsumi

Don't forget, that you play on your pad on the console, meanwhile PC users mostly use keyboard and mouse. Pads are much more smoother, especially in camera movements.

I can vouch for that, tried playing with a controller, all lag seems to be gone. Maybe its the controller and distance.